Character Discussion Overall Did Kaido meet expectations ?

Were expectations met?

• Total voters
Power-wise yes. You'd wonder how the fight is gonna go if Kaido fights top tier chars like Roger, Primebeard, or Prime Garp in a fight to death 1v1.

:steef:

Character-wise... Why was he suicidal again? Was it because he wanted to die in a cool way like Oden? Yet he'd imprisoned his child who admired Oden?

:choppawhat:

Big mom had a pretty interesting characterization in WCI, however, wano killed it.
Kaido's intro during the end of Dressrosa: "Wow Kaido looks awesome, I'm pretty sure he will be a great villain when we finally get to his arc."

End of Wano: "Wow that was Kaido, what a disappointing villain."

WCI: "Big Mom seems like very interesting character with a really great backstory."

Wano: "Awesome Big Mom is coming to Wano."

End of Wano: "Why Oda why did you have to make her look like a joke."

Kaido was a completely disappointing character that was not worth the decade of build up in advance. He was bland, dull, boring and not even entertaining. His dialogue came off as utterly cringeworthy at times and his presence as the arc antagonist was neutered by sharing the role with two other antagonists, the only saving grace of which for Kaido was that these two antagonists were even worse than he was.

I also don't care much for his design. It looks boring. His hybrid design is also incredibly uninspiring, it is just his regular design with some extra scales, a tail and fangs.

Middling design, underwhelming story presence and a mediocre personality. There is a reason this bloke only managed to reach the mid-60s in the last popularity poll during the middle of his own arc. Man was below feckin Bepo, lel.

Kaido is here to kick asses, all things revolves around him are strength and power.
He's exactly what i was expecting and exceeded too.
The only L's and which i was pretty surprised was.....yes no death by his hands plus no major consequences on alliance except Kiku's arm, all major characters are fine in the end. ( Yes Oda choose the path)

Character wise, he's always portrayed to be a cold blooded battle maniac doomsday who's existence is to cause havoc. Never expect him to be your generic multicomplex villain with schemes so and so, and indeed he is not.
He play his "role" like Doffy play his "role", they both done well.

He's pretty powerful, though Oda could have been a little more direct about his Awakening.
We know Kaidou is AWARE of Awakening, but does he have it is the question.
And the answer? Who knows!
Oda just outright states Lucci and Kaku have Awakening but he can't say Kaidou has it for some reason.
Maybe he does and Oda just felt that saying it outright is spoon feeding and too repetitive.
In terms of character, he's got a personality, but it's not a whole lot.
He's basically a wild menace who likes to drink and fight and all that, and he also seems to have a bit of a nice side seeing as he regretted killing Ulti and Page One's parents/caretakers and raised them under his wing instead.
The problem is we don't really know the reasons for his motives.
We don't get a tragic backstory or even much of a backstory at all.
It seems that he basically grew up in a poor country that was a warzone, but so did Whitebeard and he isn't that bad.
Sakazuki also has the same origins it seems, though he's pretty damn evil to be fair lol.

I hate how Oda just left the whole suicide thing unexplored. That introduction built so much hype for him, then it all fizzled out for nothing. We got the generic "hurr durr death is the completion of life" as explanation while the whole "Kaido can't be killed" theme got tossed aside. I maintain that given more panels Kaido would make a villain so much more impressive than what we got.
It was one of the best intros/entrances I have ever seen in any manga/anime. On the level of Shanks at Marineford or Kurosaki Ichigo after Dangai training. Then no follow up to that at all, like it was scrapped all together. Oda had plenty of panel time to use for Kaido given Wano's length, but he instead decided that drawing fodder warriors panicking for 20 chapters was more important. This is why I think Oda killed Wano onpurpose. He got bored with drawing it and lost interest. The Egghead Arc is an A+ arc from my POV so far (other than Law/BB getting off-screened which sucked), so Oda is definitely still on his game, he just decided that Kaido wasn't worth his time. The foundation was there to go DEEP with Kaido's story.

Big mom had a pretty interesting characterization in WCI, however, wano killed it.
Agreed. WCI was actually a really good arc for BM from my POV. I'm not a BM fan but Wano definitely hurt her character.

Fraudo was dogshit.
Being a successful villain goes beyond just defeating many characters in fights. Therefore,Fraudo didn't accomplished shit in his whole life.
Being a legitimate and engrossing character goes beyond just having a lot of power level feats. Therefore,Fraudo is a forgettable empty shell.
Neither having power level feats alone nor characterization alone is enough to make a character engrossing. The truly engrossing characters are those who have it both ways.
Fraudo's fans refuse to accept these truths and insist on futilely sugarcoating him. They are one of the worst fanbases out there.
@The White Crane @Sir Yasheen @Akagame @BlackLegFring @SakazOuki @RayanOO @Owl Ki
@Alpha @grey matter @HA001 OF THE RAIN @kumae