Character Discussion Overall Did Kaido meet expectations ?

Were expectations met?

• Total voters
character that on might makes right doesn't need to be complex. It supposed to be straightforward. I don't know you guys but anime really elevated kaido. He look more like cuphead villain.
Even “might makes right” characters can be done much better if handled right. Arlong is an example. Kaido was just dull, and that doesn’t help when you’re supposed to be the main antagonist for the longest arc.

Even “might makes right” characters can be done much better if handled right. Arlong is an example. Kaido was just dull, and that doesn’t help when you’re supposed to be the main antagonist for the longest arc.
Honestly I think Kenpachi Zaraki May be the best example of a Might makes right individual. He didn’t care who you were or what you wanted. If you were strong or weak was all that’s important.

Overall yes. He never was meant to be end game material.
Of course, that shouldn't excuse his lack of a character.

Even his iconic first appearance of crashing into the Kidd alliance loses mystique when you find out the whole thing was an Apoo setup.

Aye, I have been seeing an argument in this thread about how "Kaido is a might makes right character so he doesn't need to be a complex character".

About that...

First off, there is no solid rule of writing that decrees that a "might makes right" character cannot be a complex individual.

Secondly and far more importantly, I have not seen one person criticise Kaido for not being complex. Kaido isn't criticised due to a lack of character complexity, the main criticism is that he is bland, boring and underwhelming.

How many popular One Piece antagonists are actually praised for being complex characters? The only one I can think of is Doflamingo.

Alabasta Saga's main antagonist in Crocodile wasn't complex. The man was just classic, power hungry, manipulative villain energy played straight.

Skypiea Saga's main antagonist in Enel wasn't complex. The bloke was an egotistical, narcissistic, megalomaniac high on a self-deluded God trip.

Water 7 Saga's main antagonist in Rob Lucci wasn't complex. The guy was a sadistic, bloodthirsty, straight laced assassin that followed orders to the letter.

None of these guys were complex characters when they were Saga/Arc antagonists and none of them had any sympathetic character traits. They were all unashamedly villainous to the core.

All of these characters are far more popular than Kaido and it sure as hell isn't due to their "complexity" because they haven't got any.

No.
He didn't have a proper character and some plot points about him were dropped. Basic example: he was considered the world's strongest creature. Even BM called Kaido a thing, and this reputation seemed based on something different than a basic humanoid (like Giant or Oni).
His personality was full of contradictions that didn't make sense and his backstory makes the WG more incompetent than usual. Really, why don't force him to eat a devil fruit salad in one of the fcking 8 times he was captured? He even hinted that he was there for the buffet - even though he was put to death penalty.
In terms of design I have to say he's amazing (except the hybrid, of course). But outside of design he was just a plot point that existed to be pummeled until Oda thought it was enough.