Powers & Abilities Gear 5 IS a better power-up than Super Saiyan (not a joke/bait thread)

Do tell. Cause it looks like nobody agrees :watchout:
The majority of people here don't know a thing about storytelling. They throw words like "forshadow" and "retcon" like candie during Halloween.
Post automatically merged:

I love G5 as a power, form, whatever, but everything lorewise surrounding it was terrible and so was its foreshadowing.

If Ss1 came out now, it would be a lame straight powerup with no spice about it, nothing unique by current standards. But back when it came out? It was the absolute best thing in the world.

I don't know what power I like more, I do like G5 a lot, but looking at them on their respective context and frame, SSJ just stomps.
No at all, from a technical point of view the foreshadowing of the Gear 5 is masterful.

Never seen dragon ball so no idea about supersayan. Good thread on G5. I was expecting a huge cry but looks like usual scrap didn't invade this thread yet. Oh yeah, there is that tag. Whoever added that tag is worse than dog sheet.

G5 being Nika was never foreshadowed since skypea
Stop lying to yourselves
Oda never hinted gomu gomu was mythical fruit anywhere before
Changing the fruit type after 1040 chapters is hella dumb

And G5 will never even be more iconic than g2
Let alone Super Saiyan

G5 isn’t even better than G4 if we are being honest let alone the iconic Shonen transformation that is SSJ that set the standard for a lot of other Shonen that came after. It was literally a retcon brought in to basically revive Luffy essentially, no way that holds a candle to SSJ.

The abilities of G5 itself is some of the most goofiest I’ve ever seen. Instead of having G5 be based on another body system like the other gears were perhaps the nervous system or even having G5 be his awakening Oda thought retconning the entire fruit was somehow better. I don’t even know how the other gears aren’t even obsolete now with Luffy basically only being β€œlimited by his own imagination” lmao. The form may have grown on some of y’all but it still remains the biggest retcon yet in the entire series that turned Luffy into a drunk clown that couldn’t stop chuckling, the only thing missing is a red nose and he’d fit right in your local circus show lol.

Out of curiosity, could you give me examples of other plot twists in fiction that you consider to be really great?
The red wedding - GOT
The rise of Keyser SΓΆze - Usual Suspect
The characterization of L- Death Note
The state of Raizo - One Piece
The secret of Dark Vader - Star Wars TESB
Gear 5 isn’t even better than the fake SSJ forms Vegeta and Trunks got in the cell arc.

G5 isn’t even better than G4 if we are being honest let alone the iconic Shonen transformation that is SSJ that set the standard for a lot of other Shonen that came after. It was literally a retcon brought in to basically revive Luffy essentially, no way that holds a candle to SSJ.

The abilities of G5 itself is some of the most goofiest I’ve ever seen. Instead of having G5 be based on another body system like the other gears were perhaps the nervous system or even having G5 be his awakening Oda thought retconning the entire fruit was somehow better. I don’t even know how the other gears aren’t even obsolete now with Luffy basically only being β€œlimited by his own imagination” lmao. The form may have grown on some of y’all but it still remains the biggest retcon yet in the entire series that turned Luffy into a drunk clown that couldn’t stop chuckling, the only thing missing is a red nose and he’d fit right in your local circus show lol.
Gear 5 Surpasses all those transformations in term of narration and symbolism and creativity. This is a storytelling masterclass. If I was a teacher at creating stories, I would make my studients study the creation of this plottwist because it has EVERYTHING.

The red wedding - GOT
The rise of Keyser SΓΆze - Usual Suspect
The characterization of L- Death Note
The state of Raizo - One Piece
The secret of Dark Vader - Star Wars TESB

Gear 5 Surpasses all those transformations in term of narration and symbolism and creativity. This is a storytelling masterclass. If I was a teacher at creating stories, I would make my studients study the creation of this plottwist because it has EVERYTHING.
Hard to call it creative at all when it was such an ugly retcon that went contrary to 1040 chapters worth of material. And because of that it was a storytelling disaster considering the circumstances that brought it about to begin with.

Hard to call it creative at all when it was such an ugly retcon that went contrary to 1040 chapters worth of material. And because of that it was a storytelling disaster considering the circumstances that brought it about to begin with.
It only appears as a retcon for you because you didn't pay enough attention to the story. This is not a retcon at all.
Stop throwing words you don't understand.

It only appears at a retcon for you because you didn't pay enough attention to the story. This is not a retcon at all.
Stop throwing words you don't understand.
I payed enough attention to realize that it is a retcon lol. Forcing connections to silhouettes from Skypeia or to other references made about Nika to Luffy’s actual fruit is wildly far fetched. Luffy could have been connected to Nika in many ways, the actual fruit being Nika was simply a retcon considering the fact that his fruit was never out of the ordinary from what we have been told and shown for the past thousand chapters.

Also how is it a storytelling masterclass when Luffy went from having an ordinary paramecia that he honed and mastered for such a long time to be an effective ability to now having the most OP fruit in the entire verse? That literally ruined the character in more ways than one.

I payed enough attention to realize that it is a retcon lol
No lol

Forcing connections to silhouettes from Skypeia or to other references made about Nika to Luffy’s actual fruit is wildly far fetched.
There is no connection to silhouette from skypeia. Stop listening to youtuber they don't know how to analyse a story on a few exceptions. Those are not foreshadowing, they are not even Shadowing not plantings.

The fruit of Luffy has always been out of the ordinary, you just assimilated information easily.

Also how is it a storytelling masterclass when Luffy went from having an ordinary paramecia that he honed and mastered for such a long time to be an effective ability to now having the most OP fruit in the entire verse, that literally ruined the character in more ways than one.
The awakening of a fruit means that the barrer is strong enough mentally and physically to sync their own mind and body with the potential of the fruit. Meaning that Luffy perfectly deserve this transformation.

And you should be careful calling this fruit OP. Once again don't listen to youtuber. If you were reading correctly the end of wano, you would be understanding that not only this ability has MAJOR limitation, but Luffy can also be countered easily with haki.

Not even close. The Super Saiyan form was perfectly foreshadowed.

And while Luffy's awakening also was, this Nika Rubber God half-Zooan half-Paramecia seems like a last minute asspull. Every other God in OP is a real God, but Oda had to make a fake God made of rubber to make this make sense. Lol.
SS was well foreshadow but not greatly.

Also, the nika revelation is but a part of the real revelation of the Gomu Gomu no.

I payed enough attention to realize that it is a retcon lol. Forcing connections to silhouettes from Skypeia or to other references made about Nika to Luffy’s actual fruit is wildly far fetched. Luffy could have been connected to Nika in many ways, the actual fruit being Nika was simply a retcon considering the fact that his fruit was never out of the ordinary from what we have been told and shown for the past thousand chapters.

Also how is it a storytelling masterclass when Luffy went from having an ordinary paramecia that he honed and mastered for such a long time to be an effective ability to now having the most OP fruit in the entire verse? That literally ruined the character in more ways than one.
"The most ridiculous power"
It only took 1040 chapters to finally reveal that lol

SS was well foreshadow but not greatly.
Vegeta was constantly saying how he was a Super Saiyan after every Zenkai boost. He was obsessed with it.

Dragon Ball's originality was next level. There is a reason why almost every shonen since the 90s has been a DB rip off. Toriyama was the Beatles of Manga.

Vegeta was constantly saying how he was a Super Saiyan after every Zenkai boost. He was obsessed with it.
Yes I count that as one type of foreshadowing. This is the minimum requested for such a transformation. It was well done, but when we compare the plot twist of the super sayan and the plot twist of the gear 5, one is INFINITLY better crafted than the other. And not only because of the foreshadowing.

Actually Dragon Ball's originality was also pretty flat. Analyse the transformationS and you will notice that most of them happen for the same (and toxic) reason: Power through Anger.

Now analyse each power up in One Piece.. you will not laugh long.

One Piece doesn't stand at the top of the food chain for nothing.

It looks whack, ngl.

Luffy's skin appears to be darker than usual.
The pure white hair and dress looks weird, even the sandals.
I understand his hair turning white, but dress?

Still, it is better than all of the G5 fan drawings.

It's because he took a seemingly regular fruit, and pushed it to it's utmost limits that he was able to awaken it, which is something no one was capable of doing in 800 years.

Luffy did that because of how he utilized the fruit. He worked for it.

Yall are acting like he just snapped his fingers, and turned the fruit God Tier.

It's because he took a seemingly regular fruit, and pushed it to it's utmost limits that he was able to awaken it, which is something no one was capable of doing in 800 years.

Luffy did that because of how he utilized the fruit. He worked for it.

Yall are acting like he just snapped his fingers, and turned the fruit God Tier.
How is it different from Naruto mastering the control of Nine Tails Chakra.

See, One Piece is not really different from other shounens.

How is it different from Naruto mastering the control of Nine Tails Chakra.

See, One Piece is not really different from other shounens.
This transformation is not different in term of power and deservability, after all this is a shonen. No. This transformation is a masterclass because of everything else.

- Symbolism
- Creativity
- Redistribution of the card
- World building
- Characterization

Note that I didn't even mention foreshadowings here.