Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 981 : "Engagement"

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
so taking what Marco says in the end of the chapter, it seems like BMP will not be able to climb back anytime soon, and by the time they'd be able to, the era might've changed a little bit (implying the alliance will definitely start a huge war and the enemies' numbers will be greatly reduced, regardless of what the outcome's gonna be).

Superb humor with this 4 worstgeneration, love that!!! Luffy calling out Kid, Zoro calling out Luffy, Kid calling out Roronoa and Killer calling out all 3 idiots. Love that :goyea:.

The art is on fire for this chapter, all panels with Kid are splendid.
Marco is on fire:phoenixmarco:.

I am annoyed with Oda about Sanji, give that man a break from all this repetitive gag please :giogio:

Last edited:
Pretty crazy chapter, a lot of unexpected developments. Still, it's criminal that Jinbe has not had his first manga color spread as a Strawhat. Must be because Oda didn't want to reveal Jinbe is a bad dancer.

Apoo lives to jam another day. He bounces back quickly and gets a hit on Kid too. Unfortunately, his natural weakness is a smart and calm guy like Killer. Pretty funny Apoo can be somewhat countered like that, but most people won't attempt it and you can't fight while covering your ears with your hands anyway. Very touching how Killer permanently ruined himself by making the choice to become a Pleasure for a chance to get his captain back. It's like Zoro sacrificing himself before Kuma, there was no guarantee Kuma would let Luffy go and not just teleport away with him even if Zoro survived the punishment, but he was planning to give up his head for Luffy whether he got his captain back or lost him forever so that didn't matter.

Big Mom giving everyone a little too much fanservice. Cool to see that some of Kinemon's guys went into the skull so we get a chance to see to see what else is inside this metropolis apart from the banquet hall. It's starting to feel like a city on water, even the banquet hall had some water streams running through it. So Black Maria runs a brothel, that explains why there's not a bunch of Beast Pirates hitting up Komurasaki or O-Robi over in the capital. Black Maria doesn't seem very eager to find Yamato, so there's a good chance she could return to her residence which would spell out trouble for Sanji's group. Great to see the kunoichi of Wano leading to a group to find their boy Shogun, you can't just take the idea that Momo will free himself for granted. Chopper and Big Mom meeting eyes could be a big game changer. A bunch of Wano peasants dressed, took care of, and fed O-Lin. Will she remember this Chopper? Or will she remember the Chopper that destroyed the wedding, got in her way back in the Sunny, and is Luffy's subdorinate? She may honestly just spare Chopper by ignoring him entirely, but now that she knows Luffy is likely to be around the beast is free to rampage all over Onigashima with rage. I just hope she covers up first.

How close by could Kaido be from the action right now? Who's Who was in meeting with Kaido and Tobiroppo a short while ago, but now they came back to the banquet hall with enough time to hear Queen wants to kill somebody. He even had time to gather his group of sexy cat girls, I think I know what former pirate crew I would have loved to join! A Smilodon DF would suit him nicely, I like how the part of his mask that is exposed happens to be mouth so he could show off those oversized canines. So Who's Who has thought about offing Queen twice now, but we don't know who Queen wants to kill just yet. It's a good red herring to make the audience think these two want to kill each other, only to have Queen plotting against a spy like X-Drake. For Queen and Who's Who to butt heads, you only need one of them to start flinging crap. Funny how we're introduced to Hachacha and he looks like Who's Who without the mask. Quite surprising he's more human than Kaido compared to Ancient Giants like Oars or the other beast-looking Numbers. But nothing is final, this guy could end up with green skin but I would much prefer if he changes his appearance with a Zoan power.

The BMP and Beast Pirates alliance is showing fractures already. Sounds about right, it's not like both crews have been in the same room to share drinks. The BMP are frustrated and wary of Kaido's forces, while on the other hand Big Mom wasn't even told about the secret entrance port to Wano. Pirate alliances fall apart all the time, so not giving away all your cards after a mere week of being partners is good on Kaido. Mogura port is a critical weakness of the Beast Pirates, should Big Mom get angry and destroy that then Kaido is not moving tens and thousands of troops over the waterfalls in and out of Onigashima. Once the other side realizes secrets are being kept from them, then begins the distrust, conspiracy, accusations, the internal conflict that could split it apart. The fuse has been lit, how long will the BMP + Beast alliance hold together before blowing up?

Marco and the boys finally made it to Wano. After the Warlord system was abolished and fleets of marines/Admirals/SSG start chasing Weevil and the gang, it was only a matter of time before Marco was finally free to join the fight. We also see Izo, potentially here to serve as Toki's 9th shadow replacing Kanjuro. Neko's been at sea for weeks, for all we know he went around recruiting pretty much all the heavy weights in the Ex-WB Pirates. Jozu, Vista, little Oars Jr., the former Spade Pirates who have been to Wano before with Ace and know Tama. As long as Big Mom left key figures back in Tottoland, Marco and the rest of the former Yonko crew are an incredible boost to the alliance. I have to question why Marco and the others don't just finish off the BM crew members here and now, their lack of DF users and BM's overeliance on them out at sea is such a big advantage. They're in a rush to Onigashima and the waterfall was only a pit stop. They're probably thinking if they can't be there to help defeat Kaido and his men when they're all wasted, they'll never beat them. The window of opportunity is way too small to spend it messing with the BM crew.

The best part of the chapter was finding out bi-monthly One Piece is over with no break next week. A lot pieces set in motion, the chaos has become quite unpredictable so I can't even guess just what the hell will happen next week.

Superb humor with this 4 worstgeneration, love that!!! Luffy calling out Kid, Zoro calling out Luffy, Kid calling out Roronoa and Killer calling out all 3 idiots. Love that :goyea:.

The art was on fire for this chapter, all panels with Kid are splendid.
Marco is on fire:phoenixmarco:.

I am annoyed with Oda about Sanji, give that man a break from all this repetitive gag please :giogio:
Exactly what I am saying, all of this is true esp sanji with the repetitive gags

Who's Who prioritize catching Yamato rather than catching 4 WG mean that this Yamato guy must be important person imo

Poor Queen, got a false report thanks to Babanuki

And Marco coming to Wano is not suprising to me, given that Weevil has to deal with Marines and everybody including Marines know about BM/Kaido alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.