ONE PIECE Live Action - Episodes Discussion Thread

Garp was great? are you crazy?

his characterization was completely off, his character made no sense in this live action

the dude was acting like a villain, Koby was scared and uncomfortable around him the entire season, instead of being an inspiring figure like in the manga / anime

Didn't like this "Chad" Helmepo, sorry mate

Inãki has Luffy's spirit, but his acting is all over the place

and Sanji was good, but the changes in Baratie really fucked his character introduction
Gin's role being so minor in the LA took away some of his best moments.
they even gave the "You have to be insane to be ready to die to follow your dream" moment to Nami lol.

I

Indigo

they even gave the "You have to be insane to be ready to die to follow your dream" moment to Nami lol.
Sanji watching Zoro and Luffy fight in the Baratie are massive in the manga / anime.

Sanji doubting his own dream the entire arc is a great part of his introduction.

Just removing that entirely is wild.

I'm not even trying to argue with you lol

It's a straight fact

Series Garp is not Garp at all, this character makes no sense compared to what Garp is and stand for in the manga / anime
"are you crazy" you asked, to which I responded. I like Garp as it is. Maybe needs to build up his physique more, he might be struggling otherwise to keep up the act.

"i'm not trying to argue" > "it's a straight fact", that's contradictory

Totally felt like in the manga, he'd definitely kill any pirate because that's his duty as a marine, he doesn't play nice. I am sure this is an Oda approved Garp too.

They made him meet Luffy too early though and I wonder what the reason for the change was. But within this changes they did adjust the character's actions accordingly.

Awesome character, there's nothing not to like.

They removed some moments but gave us others, in the end everything is balanced.
Imo the issue was giving Koby all that screen time. Also I found his scenes the most insufferable.

Absolutely. Was very disappointed by how they changed the part with Gin. To me that was the most impactful in the manga / anime. Sad. Completely erased the original character.

Absolutely. Was very disappointed by how they changed the part with Gin. To me that was the most impactful in the manga / anime. Sad. Completely erased the original character.
But is correct the choice they have made. There are already way too many characters for an 8 episode series.

Sanji watching Zoro and Luffy fight in the Baratie are massive in the manga / anime.

Sanji doubting his own dream the entire arc is a great part of his introduction.

Just removing that entirely is wild.
I kind of agree with that. But this was needed to help Nami"s arc. I think they made a tough choice here.

But is correct the choice they have made. There are already way too many characters for an 8 episode series.
so, the better bet would be to cut syrup village to 1 ep

then make baratie like the anime/manga with krieg/gin

kinda just makes me wanna rewatch the anime cause so many moments actually stuck, i watched these eps today and have already forgotton all of it

I

Indigo

They could've easily done Gin and Krieg the normal way, by removing all the Koby, Garp and Helmeppo stuff.

I enjoyed the series, but come on, that would've been a lot better than watching so much marine stuff that most people won't care.

and i say this as a Mihawk enjoyer that laughed his ass at watching Mihawk just straight up kill Krieg.

No. They killed one of the best moments. Can't agree it's correct, no buts or ifs.

Gin was still there, not sure what your argument is with "there are too many characters". Just needed more screentime and the right dialogue / introduction and his original look was perfectly fine.

kinda just makes me wanna rewatch the anime cause so many moments actually stuck, i watched these eps today and have already forgotton all of it
Probably they had no idea on how to make events happen in Syrup without Kuro, while they had the idea of just removing Krieg from Baratie with putting Arlong in his place. They didn't want to have too many villains.
If i was the production, i would have just not wasted all that time with Koby's fragment, but instead they decided to have 2 different plots moving on with one being Luffy and the crew and the other being Koby and the marines. Imo that was the weird choice, seeing how little focus Koby has in the manga, i wonder what they ve seen in him.

I

Indigo

I kind of agree with that. But this was needed to help Nami"s arc. I think they made a tough choice here.
It's kinda rough for Sanji fans tbh.

Sanji is the character introduced in the second half, we already had 4 episodes with Nami.

and then they cut Sanji's biggest moments from his own arc, to help her character?

Nami was already strong as a character as she was, before the Baratie, in the live action imo.

Nami's story in the first 4 episodes is better than the manga / anime imo. She gets to fight more, she gets to be smarter and do more shit.

She didn't need anything else to already be a great character.

Sanji felt lacking for it.

Indeed. The starving Gin from the anime was by far more impactful than the brief appearance on this show.

One thing that I would have liked tho is MORE narrator voice.. yes it would not be following the original material but damn.. I love Ian McShane so much, he deserves to have a monologue on his own.