Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters
People talking about "don't talk about candidates that aren't in the story right now"

Smoker and Hancock for the past 8 years::pepecry:
Tashigi was very recent. And when she usually appeared in the past, Smoker was not far off. Also, Oda included him in one of the recent movies, I think. Could mean something.

As for Boa - she had been recently appeared in the plotline, do you remember? BB wanted her DF.
Post automatically merged:

I'm kinda po about WACK enabling all those horrible tags. Most of WACK favorites take nothing but Ls, so at least he get no reward.
I'm also kinda "po".

Last edited:
I just remembered that Oda came up with the Supernovas 1 chapter before they appeared. Meaning he never planned them. The strawhats all feel planned before hand though. So I do not think Bonney will join.
A valid point. However, to play Devil's Advocate here, did Oda outright say that he hadn't created any of the Supernova characters themselves before then or just that the broader concept of the Supernovas and/or most of the pirates?

Given how Kuma was already part of the story by that point and the various teases we've had involving him that are paying right now in the manga, I could see it being that Oda had already created Bonney as a character by that point, but the idea of her being specifically a Supernova and a rival captain to Luffy at that point in time was a last minute addition to her character.

A valid point. However, to play Devil's Advocate here, did Oda outright say that he hadn't created any of the Supernova characters themselves before then or just that the broader concept of the Supernovas and/or most of the pirates?

Given how Kuma was already part of the story by that point and the various teases we've had involving him that are paying right now in the manga, I could see it being that Oda had already created Bonney as a character by that point, but the idea of her being specifically a Supernova and a rival captain to Luffy at that point in time was a last minute addition to her character.
To my knowledge Oda stated that he felt like Sabaody archipelago would be boring and he wanted to make it more interesting. And so he came up with the supernovas on the spot and than they appeared in the next chapter. No concept no ideas about them. He also thought a lot of them would be completely irrelevant and drop of the race.

Franky wasn't planned until Skypeia, and Jinbei wasn't originally supposed to be the fishman that joined the crew, so this means nothing.
Is this confirmed?

To my knowledge Oda stated that he felt like Sabaody archipelago would be boring and he wanted to make it more interesting. And so he came up with the supernovas on the spot and than they appeared in the next chapter. No concept no ideas about them. He also thought a lot of them would be completely irrelevant and drop of the race.
Interesting!

I asked mainly because of how seemingly important Bonney was to various factions prior to Egghead, such as her interactions with Blackbeard and Akainu after Marineford. At the very least, that suggested to me that Oda likely has been sitting on the idea of her being Kuma's daughter for quite a long time, though I suppose that doesn't mean that it couldn't have been an idea he'd decided on before Sabaody.

Is this confirmed?
Yes, both are straight from Oda. The shipwright was supposed to be the klaubauterman, but when the Alabasta arc started in the anime, Oda came up with Franky just to bring back Mr. 2's voice actor. So the originally planned strawhats are far from a sacred thing. I don't have the interviews on me, but I can probably find them when I have time if you want.

Yes, both are straight from Oda. The shipwright was supposed to be the klaubauterman, but when the Alabasta arc started in the anime, Oda came up with Franky just to bring back Mr. 2's voice actor. So the originally planned strawhats are far from a sacred thing. I don't have the interviews on me, but I can probably find them when I have time if you want.
No need. I trust you and know that you are not one to make things up. I didn’t know this. Though a shipwright was planned and only the design and character changed.

The reason why I said that the supernova were not planned and took it as argument is the fact that oda also stated in an interview, that while the story has become longer than initially planned and things have changed the ending is still the same. Meaning that a lot of things in the end were decided from the beginning and I also included in that, the final crewmembers as well. So a character that he came up mid way cannot be part of that ending.

No need. I trust you and know that you are not one to make things up. I didn’t know this. Though a shipwright was planned and only the design and character changed.

The reason why I said that the supernova were not planned and took it as argument is the fact that oda also stated in an interview, that while the story has become longer than initially planned and things have changed the ending is still the same. Meaning that a lot of things in the end were decided from the beginning and I also included in that, the final crewmembers as well. So a character that he came up mid way cannot be part of that ending.
Like I've said before, aside from Bonney, the character who I think is easily the most likely to join at this point in the story as the final Straw Hat is Vivi.

So if in fact Bonney wasn't planned to be a significant part of the ending, that still leaves plenty of indicators that Vivi will return to the crew, especially given how relevant she also happens to be to the broader scope of the story that is being set up now for the final saga of One Piece.

I just remembered that Oda came up with the Supernovas 1 chapter before they appeared. Meaning he never planned them. The strawhats all feel planned before hand though. So I do not think Bonney will join.
Well he could have come up with Bonney before the Supernovas and just inserted her into them.

My thing is more that she has no role and her story seems to be orienting more into her ending up with the Revs. She kinda doesn't seem to jel with the SH to me honestly, i mean having a 3rd Nami with pink hair that shares traits with Luffy is just bland and weird

I appreciate the trust! My point is that while a shipwright was planned, Franky is a completely different character that replaced the original shipwright at the last moment. I think it's a very reasonable argument that Oda had planned for a character like Bonney, maybe the same role, maybe specifically Kuma's daughter, to join the crew, and he simply made Bonney later and put her in that role, just like Franky.

I appreciate the trust! My point is that while a shipwright was planned, Franky is a completely different character that replaced the original shipwright at the last moment. I think it's a very reasonable argument that Oda had planned for a character like Bonney, maybe the same role, maybe specifically Kuma's daughter, to join the crew, and he simply made Bonney later and put her in that role, just like Franky.
That is possible! And I do think Bonney makes sense. But somehow it just feels off.

CoC: Color of Clowns

We Shall Sail On Every Light Wave
I see Bonney for nakama is really picking up steam.
I'm a simple man.

If you hate the Celestial Dragons, I generally like you.

If you stab a Celestial Dragon? Good on ya.

YOU STABBED A GOROSEI??? Alright, my hat's off to you, that takes real courage/committment.

Bonney has the emotional and plot connections to have a legitimate case at this point, especially since she's so connected to Kuma, when Kuma's connected to Dragon and the Revs are starting to make their moves.

What's off to me is the lack of a dream and a role. Without those she won't join. But maybe she'll still get them.
That's a big reason why I'm curious to see what all we learn once the flashbacks get to Bonney's childhood with Kuma and what all happens between the both of them once Kuma finally arrives on Egghead in the present.

Obviously we learned in Chapter 1095 that Kuma himself had a dream of becoming a hero like Nika and eventually be able to help liberate others, but it's hard to say yet if that is a dream Bonney herself also shares with her dad and if there's any particular reason that Bonney might feel as though that dream would be better achieved by traveling with Luffy as a Straw Hat instead of joining the Revolutionaries.

That's a big reason why I'm curious to see what all we learn once the flashbacks get to Bonney's childhood with Kuma and what all happens between the both of them once Kuma finally arrives on Egghead in the present.

Obviously we learned in Chapter 1095 that Kuma himself had a dream of becoming a hero like Nika and eventually be able to help liberate others, but it's hard to say yet if that is a dream Bonney herself also shares with her dad and if there's any particular reason that Bonney might feel as though that dream would be better achieved by traveling with Luffy as a Straw Hat instead of joining the Revolutionaries.
I'm in the same boat. The next few chapters will probably determine the fate of Bonney for nakama.

About as much as Yamato had to, if even that. I haven’t seen the arc yet but Oda has baited fans too much with this that it doesn’t seem likely even without knowledge of the context. Though Bonney doesn’t really have the problems that previous candidates had that ultimately barred them from joining, she’s got the distinct facial appearance and relevance + the significance of her story with Kuma and all that ties into the greater plot. Could be a Revolutionary as well though.

Also another thing to mention, the alphabet pattern is undefeated. I’m not one to push the patterns too hard but it’s literally been unbroken all this time despite all the noise for Yamato last year even she didn’t fit in with it and didn’t join as well lol. And Jinbe took one of the spots lmao, so idk but most likely situation is Bonney playing the role of Law in this final saga as he did in the Yonko saga, making her a defacto crew member pretty much.
Does Bonney tick more boxes than Yamato?..