Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters

CoC: Color of Clowns

Supreme Grade Peacock Slashers
I always wondered what will bring Luffy to attack the WG directly because he isn't a hero. He only acts when someone close to him is endangered. So even if he finds out what happend during the Void Century on Laughtale, that shouldn't be enough to get him going. Bonney being chased and threatened directly by her biological father could become the emotional trigger for him to raise hell in Marijoa. Of course there are also other characters that could do the job, like Vivi or even Robin. Just wanted to point it out as a possible pro Bonney argument.
We know the WG is planning a Great Cleansing. Once Luffy realizes the WG plans to destroy all the of the countries he's made friends with, Luffy will fight them.

The WG needs to declare war on the world, before Luffy truly becomes their enemy.

Glad to welcome so many new people on board the Bonney train :finally:

Nice to see some faces from the old nakama thread come back to discuss it like @This_Guy and @Roo . Even @Peenix is coming around to it!

I don't think anyone is fully convinced yet given what happened with Yamato, but if anyone is joining, it's Bonney.

Also fun to see everyone donning their Kuma avatars. Maybe he joins too :cheers:

Nice to see some faces from the old nakama thread come back to discuss it like @This_Guy and @Roo . Even @Peenix is coming around to it!

I don't think anyone is fully convinced yet given what happened with Yamato, but if anyone is joining, it's Bonney.

Also fun to see everyone donning their Kuma avatars. Maybe he joins too :cheers:
I had to replace my Kuma avatar with this masterpiece of shiny storytelling . Can you forgive me?

Thank you, I ended up taking an extended break from One Piece as wano burnt me out, but yeah, I think Bonney has some narrative energy to join. Just from the current backstory, I feel like Kuma's hopes and dreams he has about Nika that he shares with Bonney really do feel like a legitimate emotional push toward Joining.

I don't value your opinion enough to read your blog. If you want to make an argument, do it here.
Okay then I will explain this notion here once and for all. And its cool either way as my blog is not updated and lacks some point.

-----

IN GENERAL

In Manga in general, A very specific type of action is needed to give the character credibility and meaning, something incredible, something that regular characters can't really achieve.

I call this the "Shining Action"

This action can take different forms. For example, L's "shining action" - in "Death Note" - appears just after his anonymous introduction. By having Light surprised here, L put's himself as one of the main and best adversary of the series, but it puts him also as a "superhuman" mind character type.

In shonen, this action usually gives the character a superhuman treatment.. but you can find this specific treatment in other manga stories. In Seinen like Uchuu Kyoudaii, this action can simply gives characters an amazing stand out mindset.

Mutta, who wants to become astronaut and therefore a good engineer passes an interview. Too bad for him, the interviewer after discussing the candidates reaches to the conclusion that 3 characters where really distracted during the interview, they decide to shut them down until one of the mentor in the band intervene and say this.

"I actually played a joke on the candidate, I lossened one of the screw that was on the chair's candidate"
"In the group X, three people called my attention"

"The first person noticed the screw instantly but it seemed like he wasn't bothered"
"The second person unitentionally laughed when she noticed and was starteled by herself laughing"
and the third:

THis is what a manga action looks like. It ciment the character into a specific position because of their specific gift or skills (note that, its important). Here, this is the proof of Mutta skill for problem resolution and in engineering skills that he will depict later in the serie.

For the strawhats, this can be seen through their action into their post.

LETS SUM UP:

In most good manga stories, the first impression is one of the most important to understand the character BUT the "SHINING ACTION' is the action that makes the character stands out.

Now, let's look at One Piece and let's concentrate on that "SHINING ACTION"and we will see that like other manga stories, most of the major characters of an arc have that "Manga moment".

And there is that shining action for a lot of characters.. Usually it is done by a simple and fast action:

- Shanks saving Luffy
- Coby's courage speech
- Mihawk's slash
- Oden's slashing the boar
- Etc.

But Oda added a NEW layer to this "SHINING action"- specific to the strawhats!!

This action is not only related to the story, but is related first and foremost to the place of the specific nakama into their specific POST both literally and thematically.

I call that specific action:

THE SHINING "NAKAMA" ACTION

Again, a shining nakama action is a shonen action that is thematically linked to the post of a character on the ship of the strawhats.. It can be surprising or subtil but it must be impressive.

Let's take Luffy from chapter 1. How are we so sure he will be able to face (not vainquish, just face) all the challenges and become a captain.. Well.. because of this:

For two reasons:

1 - It's the first action of Luffy, so it echoes to our Anchoring bias (the first element of a series is often the element we rely on the most)

2 - This piece of development is the foundation of ALL the actions of Luffy in the futur. Without it, Luffy attacking the mountain bandits wouldn've feel forced, same for all his reckless development later.

With this, you can see how important the development of an action is and why the first action is always one of the most important one.

I've narrowed down different parameters constructing each shining nakama action for the strawhat:

- The role implies some specifications: (Knowledge of the climat)
- The Character is introduced with a certain capacity for the role in the crew: (A special power or feeling sensing the weather pattern for example)
- The character must face a challenging situation (There is a storm coming)
- The character must overcome a challenging situation with an amazing action by using their specific crewman skills: (the character must predict a storm while being sick)
- This action must get the character out of trouble or make them understand something (The storm was avoided and it was a tornado!)
- An important character present during the action must make an exclamation remark regarding the action (this is a manga trope); ("wow, they predicted such an unpredictible storm while being sick, amazing")
- A thematic linking the skill, the post and the characterization of the character

Get all that and you get a Shining Nakama action, a shonen heroic proof of concept but related specifically to the strawhat crew and their place on the Sunny. Sometime those action are impressive, sometimes just logical, but they always get the crew out of trouble and they are always related to the posts.

LET'S SEE WHAT ARE THE SHINING NAKAMA ACTION OF THE STRAWHATS:

Zoro - The Right-hand man

Specification: Must be able to be the most truthfull warrior
Introduction to the capacity: By letting himself be captured, Zoro has shown an amazing sence of trust and honor - Chapter 3
Challenge: Luffy is about to get hit by Morgan - Chapter 6
Action: Luffy trust Zoro and Zoro replies by attacking Morgan
Result: Luffy is safe and Morgan is out
Reaction: Luffy: "Nice!"
Thematic: Zoro is the first mate because his entire story is focused around the symbolism of honor and the confidence that there is between him and Luffy (same for his combattant position, but this time because of his story with Kuina)

Nami - The Navigator

Specification: Must be able to predict the weather
Introduction to the capacity: Nami stills one of Baggy's ship and predict the weather - Chapter 8
Challenge: A storm approaches and Nami is sick - Chapter 130
Action: Despite her illness, Nami predicts a huge cylcone and change the ship's course
Result: Everyone is safe
Reaction: Vivi: "incredible.. A cyclone on the grandline is said to be impossible to predict !!"
Thematic: Nami's post is not just a Navigator, she is the embodiement of what a navigator should be, her thematic are all about the notion of science and knowledge. You can also add that her story and relationship to the sea is put to the extrem, she literally FEELS the climat.

Usopp - The sniper

Specification: Must be able to aim like a god
Introduction to the capacity: Usopp shoots with precision at the guard in Kaya's house - Chapter 27
Challenge: Luffy is about to get touched by Sugar, Usopp needs to act - Chapter 758
Action: Usopp uses all his snipers skill to take down Sugar
Result: Luffy is safe
Reaction: Viola: "You are amazing Usopp Kun"
(This can also be applied to the first time Usopp uses the cannon of the Merry)
Thematic: Usopp is not simply sniper out of nowhere, he is a sharp shooter because this is what is Dad is, Usopp wants to feel as close as his dad as possible and therefore become the same proud warrior of the sea

Sanji - The Cook

Specification: Must have the strenght to nourrish others regardless of their status
Introduction to the capacity: Sanji's vivion of rationning is introduced - Chapter 43
Challenge: Gin, an enemy, is hungry - Chapter 44
Action: Sanji feeds his ennemy
Result: Gin is amazingly happy
Reaction: Luffy: "I've found my cook"
(This can also be applied to the end of whole cake and Sanji feeding Big Mom)
Thematic: Sanji's relationship to food is highly linked to is relationship with others, the way he was treated and the way he treats others. Sanji is not a good cook because he can cook well, he is a good cook for Luffy because he is good guy that will cook even for his ennemies if needed.

Chopper - The Doctor

Specification: Must show amazing medical skills
Introduction to the capacity: Chopper's skills are introduced - Chapter 130
Challenge: Chessmarimo threaten the castle - Chapter 149
Action: Chopper knocks-out Chessmarimo, with the help of the scope of his Rumble Ball and his knowledge
Result: Chopper wins
Reaction: Luffy: "Seven transformation?? Amazing!!!"
Thematic: Chopper post is highly related to his past and the thematic of him not trusting himself enough.

Robin - The archeologist, the cap giver

Specification: Must be able to read history like an open book
Introduction to the capacity: Robin's abilities to decode the secrets of the world are introduced - Chapter 202
Challenge: The crew must understand the secret of the old shipwreck - Chapter 219
Action: Robin succeeds in analyzing rapidly
Result: We know more
Reaction: Nami: "You are able to understand so much??"
Thematic: Robin is very interesting, her post is archeologist, but this is what she does with it that is important. Her thematic is purpose, just like her role on the ship. Robin has a purpose and a dream, to find the truth, and to find that truth she must first find the way which is represented by the poneglyph and the ROAD poneglyphs.

Franky - The Shipwright

Specification: Must have amazing shipwright's skills
Introduction to the capacity: Franky's ability as a Shipwright is revealed - Chapter 353
Challenge: The mugiwara needs a amazing ship
Action: Iceberg presents the Sunny built by Franky for the Mugiwara - Chapter 437
Result: Sunny is born
Reaction: Luffy: "I've never seen such a beautiful ship! Thank you!" Chapter 438
Thematic: Franky's post is shipwright, but its basically taking care of the Sunny. Franky thematic is all about being proud of his creations, the Sunny is his magnum opus, he will therefore take Sunny to the end with pride.
Like I said previously, Brook post is all about bringing the joy in life to others, that's what a musician do and that what all the story of

Brook - The Musician

Specification: Must be an amazing musician
Introduction to the capacity: Brook’s song is the first thing we hear from him. - Chapter 442
Challenge: We need to party
Action: Brook plays "Sake of Binks". This song starts the party.- Chapter 488
Result: Everyones is happy!
Reaction: Everyone sing during the song, this leads to Brook joining the crew with acclamations.
Thematic: Brook's characterization is all about the joy of being alive. So his musician post reflect that characterization to the T.

Jinbe - The Helmsman

Specification: Must be have amazing helmsman's skills.
Introduction to the capacity: Jinbe takes the helm - Chapter 548
Challenge: A Tsunami puts the crew in danger - Chapter 880
Action: Jinbe uses his skills to steers the Sunny into the Green Room - Chapter 881
Result: The strawhats escapes the Tsunami
Reaction: Nami : "Amazing, He is controlling this sloop like it's just an extension of himself"
Thematic: Jinbe's post is related to his characterization. Jinbe is the guide of the crew, both literally and symbolically. He is the one that will bring back the moral and be behind, watching. He is the one that will guide the ship toward its destination

CONCLUSION

As you can see the "Shining Nakama Action" is THE moment where a Nakama becomes something more than just an important character and becomes an amazing crewmate who can be usefull to the crew and the best at what they do.

Something must be noted howewever! This action only takes place in a specific sietuation where no other character can act. Indeed, all the characters can take the helm, but only Jinbe under a specific situation can act and save the crew into the green room!

Anyway, Oda took the "shining action" and elevated it to make the character leave up to the role needed in the crew. This is the moment when all the attention is centered around the action of the character (Note: Franky is the only one shown after the fact, but the attention of the moment is all on him)

So...

If you are looking for a Shining NAKAMA action, look for all those parameters.

Okay then I will explain this notion here once and for all. And its cool either way as my blog is not updated and lacks some point.

-----

IN GENERAL

In Manga in general, A very specific type of action is needed to give the character credibility and meaning, something incredible, something that regular characters can't really achieve.

This action can take different forms. For example, L's "shining action" - in "Death Note" - appears just after his anonymous introduction. By having Light surprised here, L put's himself as one of the main and best adversary of the series, but it puts him also as a "superhuman" mind character type.

In shonen, this action usually gives the character a superhuman treatment.. but you can find this specific treatment in other manga stories. In Seinen like Uchuu Kyoudaii, this action can simply gives characters an amazing stand out mindset.

Mutta, who wants to become astronaut and therefore a good engineer passes an interview. Too bad for him, the interviewer after discussing the candidates reaches to the conclusion that 3 characters where really distracted during the interview, they decide to shut them down until one of the mentor in the band intervene and say this.

"I actually played a joke on the candidate, I lossened one of the screw that was on the chair's candidate"

"The first person noticed the screw instantly but it seemed like he wasn't bothered"
"The second person unitentionally laughed when she noticed and was starteled by herself laughing"
and the third:

THis is what a manga action looks like. It ciment the character into a specific position because of their specific gift or skills (note that, its important). Here, this is the proof of Mutta skill for problem resolution and in engineering skills that he will depict later in the serie.

LETS SUM UP:

In most good manga stories, the first impression is one of the most important to understand the character BUT the "SHINING ACTION' is the action that makes the character stands out.

Now, let's look at One Piece and let's concentrate on that "SHINING ACTION"and we will see that like other manga stories, most of the major characters of an arc have that "Manga moment".

And there is that shining action for a lot of characters.. Usually it is done by a simple and fast action:

- Shanks saving Luffy
- Coby's courage speech
- Mihawk's slash
- Etc.

This action is not only related to the story, but is related first and foremost to the place of the specific nakama into their specific POST both literally and thematically.

Again, a shining nakama action is a shonen action that is thematically linked to the post of a character on the ship of the strawhats.. It can be surprising or subtil but it must be impressive.

Let's take Luffy from chapter 1. How are we so sure he will be able to face (not vainquish, just face) all the challenges and become a captain.. Well.. because of this:

For two reasons:

1 - It's the first action of Luffy, so it echoes to our Anchoring bias (the first element of a series is often the element we rely on the most)

2 - This piece of development is the foundation of ALL the actions of Luffy in the futur. Without it, Luffy attacking the mountain bandits wouldn've feel forced, same for all his reckless development later.

With this, you can see how important the development of an action is and why the first action is always one of the most important one.

I've narrowed down different parameters constructing each shining nakama action for the strawhat:

- The Character is introduced with a certain capacity for the role in the crew: (A special power or feeling sensing the weather pattern for example)
- The character must overcome a challenging situation with an amazing action by using their specific crewman skills: (the character must predict a storm while being sick)
- This action must get the character out of trouble or make them understand something (The storm was avoided and it was a tornado!)
- An important character present during the action must make an exclamation remark regarding the action (this is a manga trope); ("wow, they predicted such an unpredictible storm while being sick, amazing")
- A thematic linking the skill, the post and the characterization of the character

Get all that and you get a Shining Nakama action, a shonen heroic proof of concept but related specifically to the strawhat crew and their place on the Sunny. Sometime those action are impressive, sometimes just logical, but they always get the crew out of trouble and they are always related to the posts.

Introduction to the capacity: By letting himself be captured, Zoro has shown an amazing sence of trust and honor - Chapter 3
Thematic: Zoro is the first mate because his entire story is focused around the symbolism of honor and the confidence that there is between him and Luffy (same for his combattant position, but this time because of his story with Kuina)

Nami - The Navigator

Introduction to the capacity: Nami stills one of Baggy's ship and predict the weather - Chapter 8
Action: Despite her illness, Nami predicts a huge cylcone and change the ship's course
Reaction: Vivi: "incredible.. A cyclone on the grandline is said to be impossible to predict !!"
Thematic: Nami's post is not just a Navigator, she is the embodiement of what a navigator should be, her thematic are all about the notion of science and knowledge. You can also add that her story and relationship to the sea is put to the extrem, she literally FEELS the climat.

Usopp - The sniper

Introduction to the capacity: Usopp shoots with precision at the guard in Kaya's house - Chapter 27
Challenge: Luffy is about to get touched by Sugar, Usopp needs to act - Chapter 758
Thematic: Usopp is not simply sniper out of nowhere, he is a sharp shooter because this is what is Dad is, Usopp wants to feel as close as his dad as possible and therefore become the same proud warrior of the sea

Sanji - The Cook

Specification: Must have the strenght to nourrish others regardless of their status
Introduction to the capacity: Sanji's vivion of rationning is introduced - Chapter 43
Thematic: Sanji's relationship to food is highly linked to is relationship with others, the way he was treated and the way he treats others. Sanji is not a good cook because he can cook well, he is a good cook for Luffy because he is good guy that will cook even for his ennemies if needed.

Chopper - The Doctor

Action: Chopper knocks-out Chessmarimo, with the help of the scope of his Rumble Ball and his knowledge
Thematic: Chopper post is highly related to his past and the thematic of him not trusting himself enough.

Introduction to the capacity: Robin's abilities to decode the secrets of the world are introduced - Chapter 202
Challenge: The crew must understand the secret of the old shipwreck - Chapter 219
Thematic: Robin is very interesting, her post is archeologist, but this is what she does with it that is important. Her thematic is purpose, just like her role on the ship. Robin has a purpose and a dream, to find the truth, and to find that truth she must first find the way which is represented by the poneglyph and the ROAD poneglyphs.

Franky - The Shipwright

Introduction to the capacity: Franky's ability as a Shipwright is revealed - Chapter 353
Action: Iceberg presents the Sunny built by Franky for the Mugiwara - Chapter 437
Reaction: Luffy: "I've never seen such a beautiful ship! Thank you!" Chapter 438
Thematic: Franky's post is shipwright, but its basically taking care of the Sunny. Franky thematic is all about being proud of his creations, the Sunny is his magnum opus, he will therefore take Sunny to the end with pride.
Like I said previously, Brook post is all about bringing the joy in life to others, that's what a musician do and that what all the story of

Brook - The Musician

Introduction to the capacity: Brook’s song is the first thing we hear from him. - Chapter 442
Reaction: Everyone sing during the song, this leads to Brook joining the crew with acclamations.
Thematic: Brook's characterization is all about the joy of being alive. So his musician post reflect that characterization to the T.

Jinbe - The Helmsman

Action: Jinbe uses his skills to steers the Sunny into the Green Room - Chapter 881
Reaction: Nami : "Amazing, He is controlling this sloop like it's just an extension of himself"
Thematic: Jinbe's post is related to his characterization. Jinbe is the guide of the crew, both literally and symbolically. He is the one that will bring back the moral and be behind, watching. He is the one that will guide the ship toward its destination

CONCLUSION

As you can see the "Shining Nakama Action" is THE moment where a Nakama becomes something more than just an important character and becomes an amazing crewmate who can be usefull to the crew and the best at what they do.

Something must be noted howewever! This action only takes place in a specific sietuation where no other character can act. Indeed, all the characters can take the helm, but only Jinbe under a specific situation can act and save the crew into the green room!

Anyway, Oda took the "shining action" and elevated it to make the character leave up to the role needed in the crew. This is the moment when all the attention is centered around the action of the character (Note: Franky is the only one shown after the fact, but the attention of the moment is all on him)

So...

You talk too much.

Chapter 6: The First - Zoro
Chapter 68: The Fourth - Sanji
Chapter 94: The Second - Nami
Chapter 439: Third and Seventh - Usopp, Franky
Chapter 489: The Eighth - Brook

Will Chopper, Robin, and Jinbe get numbered titles?

Maybe Chapter 1100, 1101, 1010, or 1111 will be The Tenth... something to consider while we wait.
Chapter 1100: The Tenth - Caribou
Chapter 1101: The Eleventh - Lucci
Chapter 1102: The Twelfth - Saturn

-----

IN GENERAL

and the third:

LETS SUM UP:

- Shanks saving Luffy
- Coby's courage speech
- Mihawk's slash
- Etc.

For two reasons:

Nami - The Navigator

Usopp - The sniper

Sanji - The Cook

Chopper - The Doctor

Franky - The Shipwright

Brook - The Musician

Jinbe - The Helmsman

CONCLUSION

So...

Most of these happened after they joined, Chopper's has nothing to do with his role, and Franky's was literally something Iceburg did and not Franky.

Chopper's has nothing to do with his role
It has everything to do with his role. The reason Chopper can transform is precisely because he is a doctor. His last move is literally the brain point.
Franky's was literally something Iceburg did and not Franky.
Iceburg helped but this was the work of Franky. Stop the denial, its tiring at lhe end.. sigh

Most of these happened after they joined,
For some yes, For most of them no Robin, Franky, Chopper, Sanji Shining nakama action came before. This is why this parameter is the most usefull to predict a new strawhat.

It has everything to do with his role. The reason Chopper can transform is precisely because he is a doctor. His last move is literally the brain point.

Iceburg helped but this was the work of Franky. Stop the denial, its tiring at lhe end.. sigh

For some yes, For most of them no Robin, Franky, Chopper, Sanji Shining nakama action came before. This is why this parameter is the most usefull to predict a new strawhat.
You literally list it as THE most important aspect even though not all strawhats had it. This would have failed to predict half the crew. And your criteria for what constitutes a shining nakama action is 100% subjective. If the character doesn't even have to be present for it, then it can literally be anything you want it to be. Still waiting on how Su Long Carrot is related to the lookout position.