Speculations Mihawk Looks Like a Gypsy

LOOK AT THIS DAMN PICTURE AND TELL ME THIS ISN'T MIHAWK'S STYLE

His original nickname was The Clairvoyant.

He's a goddamn Gypsy.

Do Gypsies Believe in God?
- Romani groups tend to adopt the religion which is dominant in their countries of residence. In the Euro- pean context this means that they are either Christian or Muslim. Even though they often do not follow all religious rituals and practices, faith in God remains an important part of their life. This explains why Mihawk wears a cross.

Mihawk and the Relationship with Dracula
- Which country does Dracula come from? Romania.

Note: I knew he was a gypsy just by looking at him. Type Gypsy Men in Google, and you'll find nothing but guys who look like Mihawk.

Last edited:
I disagree with the sentiment.

Both from my experience with gypsies and from talking to people from Romania, I'd start by setting apart gypsies like the one in that picture (that looks like a Spanish calorro) from actual people from Romania.

Mihawk's whole motif being based around Dracula is well known, is in his name and Oda has acknowledged it multiple times. That's all there is behind his religious motifs, as christianity is heavily associated with Dracula specifically (he's an enemy of God, hurt by holy water and latin crosses). Dracula was not a gypsy in the novel, but an aristocrat who owned gypsies.

I'm very familiar with gypsies in my country, they have been an integral part of our culture here for I'd say centuries, yet they're a very distinctive ethnic and cultural group of people with their own rules (I'd dare say laws) and culture. Their culture has nothing in common with Mihawk's aesthetic and values, other than the cross and, if anything, wearing patterned clothes. For the decades I have been reading One Piece I never made any connection between his looks or style and the gypsies I am familiar with, and still don't.

However, the LA did give me a more stereotypical calorro feeling mostly because of his hair (that unlike Mihawk in the manga, is curly and/or not combed), similar to the one you posted. The one in the picture does have a vibe of the LA one, and has Mihawk-like eyes and is handsome with a very sharp face similar to the character, but those are not distinctive traits from the gypsies to make a physical association between them and Mihawk.

I disagree with the sentiment.

Both from my experience with gypsies and from talking to people from Romania, I'd start by setting apart gypsies like the one in that picture (that looks like a Spanish calorro) from actual people from Romania.

Mihawk's whole motif being based around Dracula is well known, is in his name and Oda has acknowledged it multiple times. That's all there is behind his religious motifs, as christianity is heavily associated with Dracula specifically (he's an enemy of God, hurt by holy water and latin crosses). Dracula was not a gypsy in the novel, but an aristocrat who owned gypsies.

I'm very familiar with gypsies in my country, they have been an integral part of our culture here for I'd say centuries, yet they're a very distinctive ethnic and cultural group of people with their own rules (I'd dare say laws) and culture. Their culture has nothing in common with Mihawk's aesthetic and values, other than the cross and, if anything, wearing patterned clothes. For the decades I have been reading One Piece I never made any connection between his looks or style and the gypsies I am familiar with, and still don't.

However, the LA did give me a more stereotypical calorro feeling mostly because of his hair (that unlike Mihawk in the manga, is curly and/or not combed), similar to the one you posted. The one in the picture does have a vibe of the LA one, and has Mihawk-like eyes and is handsome with a very sharp face similar to the character, but those are not distinctive traits from the gypsies to make a physical association between them and Mihawk.
Basically you've been around people like Mihawk your entire life and you never noticed.

Do you realize that “gypsy” is considered to be a slur?

https://now.org/blog/the-g-word-isnt-for-you-how-gypsy-erases-romani-women/
Post automatically merged:

The name of their ethnic group is “Romani” and it’s not the same thing as being Romanian
The slur part is relative. It's equivalent in my language is the appropriate term for that group, and they have no issue here with other people calling them so in either language.

But yeah, they're too different people that are getting mixed up and it's a slur in other countries.

On Romani people in Romania, from Wikipedia

What ethnicity are Romanian gypsies?
- Origins. Their original name is from the Indian Sanskrit word डोम (doma) and means a member of a Dalit caste of travelling musicians and dancers The Roma originate from northern India, presumably from the northwestern Indian regions such as Rajasthan and Punjab.

So.. what? Romanian gypsies aren't Romani?

I think you're confused. Romanians in general might not be Romani, but the Romanian gypsies are.

Isn't The G word a Slur?
Yes

On Romani people in Romania, from Wikipedia

What ethnicity are Romanian gypsies?
- Origins. Their original name is from the Indian Sanskrit word डोम (doma) and means a member of a Dalit caste of travelling musicians and dancers The Roma originate from northern India, presumably from the northwestern Indian regions such as Rajasthan and Punjab.

So.. what? Romanian gypsies aren't Romani?

I think you're confused. Romanians in general might not be Romani, but the Romanian gypsies are.
Romania is a country in Eastern Europe

The romani are an ethnic group that originated in india and migrated to Europe.

While there are lots of romani in romania, they aren’t exclusive to romania and live throughout Europe.
Post automatically merged:

Romanians are their own distinct ethnic group

Yes, that's why I don't think the other thing was intentional on Oda's part.
Transylvania
Region in Romania
Transylvania is a region in central Romania. It's known for medieval towns, mountainous borders and castles like Bran Castle, a Gothic fortress associated with the legend of Dracula.

Ffs boys... How confused on this are we?