Improving Discussions, less toxicity

Status
Not open for further replies.
OJ was my first forum for One Piece. I was there for a long while and spent plenty of time there. I have to say I prefer the admins/mods here by a mile. I never feel like they act they are above everyone. I dont get the sense that its super strict here either. It feels like everyone tries to work with each other. I personally feel OJ was a lot more toxic. I didnt even want to discuss One Piece over there. Here its like people just have fun. They will joke a lot which I like. Im able to conversate about anything, even the power scaling. I appreciate the staff here for being chill. Its not easy at all. The one piece community as a whole is very toxic at times.

M

MD Zolo

I as someone who genuinely likes Zoro as a character and have read pages and pages of Zoros FC see it differently. If you have a different level of tolerance for this, fine. I at least wasn't vibing with that place at all.
What Zoro fans do in Zoro FC should not bother anyone. You are not forced to be in Zoro FC and frankly that thread was built for only those who are interested in worshipping Zoro (it is a Temple). For example, ImmaIvanoM is a Zoro fan who is not a part of Zoro FC and nobody has forced him to join. Thus "tolerance" is absolutely not an issue. What they do there can't be placed as an issue.

Your second point was that normal Zoro fans don't get a voice. That's outright wrong. Again, ImmaIvanoM talks however he likes in all threads and nobody is hindering his discussion. You need to have proper discussion to have voice.

If you want your view of Zoro to be the prevalent one, well, your voice should be higher. When 40+ people have same voice, they will get greater soundbite. Do they represent Zoro fans? As per democracy, they do. Which is perfectly fine.

Even if you're not part of the trolling or are not being trolled, you are affected by it. And I also saw people saying things like "guys you're overdoing it, let's tone down the trolling a bit" but of course it doesn't work if that's not coming from a mod
Yes. I understand that sentiment. But what you are implying with this thread is to remove "these uncultured barbarians" so that others can have normal discussion. That is simply not how it works. There is absolutely no One Piece forum active right now where it works. Only Arlong Park maintains a normal discussion format, and it is dying.

I have 32 people here on Ignore list. But these people definitely help to maintain the forum with their nonsense.

I will be as blunt as possible to everybody. This place was made of outcasts, by outcasts and for outcasts. Getting rid of those outcasts will kill this place. So-called Normal people don't keep a forum alive.

And no matter what Pantheos or anybody else says, this is the only truth.

What can be done is:

Create a "Curated Discussion" sub-forum. The normal trolls can be infinitely banned from that sub-forum. This sub-forum can be highlighted as the main sub-forum for WG. I am sure that this sub-forum will be dead, but it will provide safe space for many who can't tolerate the banter.

Change starts from bottom up. And if people dont wanna change they wont. But it should be our job as a community to point a finger and say: Hey thats bad.
This 100% People dont realize how much it means for everyone to speak up when someone is acting ridiculous. I dont mean ridiculous as in fanboy/girling either. Just certain people that can be so overly toxic and disrespectful. Those are the people that need to be called out on from everybody, not just staff. Its like with the whole social justice/racism thing going on irl. If people want change, we got to do it together as a whole. Same applies to toxicity and bullying.

Shit talking is good when it is in limited amount and not always prevalent, that is true.

Thanks for agreeing with me, mate!

I've been on multiple forums and people managed to behave and enjoy serious discussions. Sure some of you get along well, but some who really just want to have people to discuss properly are being left behind here because they receive all the trolling and bashing as well once they say something someone doesn't like.

Yes, OJ had its problems as well but I still felt that the mods there did a lot of work to keep that place in check.

I never said WG should follow OJs footsteps. I don't say that there should be an "authoritarian dictatorship" or that mods should ban/remove certain people and be "ruling" here. The point I am trying to bring across is that people lack respect for each other and and also a lack of proper discussions caused by tocxicity. It feels like this forum is a place of anarchy where people do what they want and where's no order in things. People are at each other's throats and insulting each other and nothing is being done. And even if both parties "see it as fun", things have gotten out of control and that's sad. Especially for people who want to enjoy proper discussions and can't do so because of others.

Here we are. I don't think pointing fingers helps at this point. It's not just Zoro fanboys, or Sanji fanboys. It is in general the whole community that has a problem with toxicity and those who wish for a proper discussion end up creating groups in private conversations to escape the toxic hell that is present in this forum. And that shouldn't be the case.
Come on boy, we all know that Zoro fanboys are definition of toxicity, I've seen toxic people on all sides but you gotta be honest if you wanna address the issue, Zoro fanboys are the majority of toxic, angry teenagers.

Well...I don't think good users are bullied here at all. The trolling, wanking and the bashing is reserved for specific people. There are some fans from each side who likes to troll fans of other sides. These fans get trolled on and bashed by each other.

Nobody trolls/bullies/bashes Jew D. Boy, Finalbeta, Akai2, EtenBoby and so on. A user only gets trolled when the said user makes controversial posts.
Well... Known users are not bashed. When someone new appears and states their opinion, they're usually jumped on.

Also, making "controversial" posts shouldn't be a problem.
You may have written this with good intention, but you don't see how this (or any other) forum works. People who you deem as problematic (and some of them are) are the ones who want to discuss most. These people won't agree with each other, but that doesn't mean they can't get along. Most of them get along quite well.
This I completely agree with. It's inevitable, and at the end of the day forums are for talking. Being too strict is not a good path, freedom of speech has to be a thing (as long as it's not insults).

I am not long here yet on WG, but I noticed a few things I want to talk about with everyone and especially towards the mods/admins of this forum.

It is about the prevalent trolling, wanking, bashing, and in general toxicity of this forum. All in all this place feels nice and active but I feel like most activity stems from people clashing against each other and make fun of each other. It often feels like there's not much room for a proper discussion because once you mention specific characters you need to be ready to receive a backlash on it or be insulted because of it.

I don't want to say that being a fan of something or someone is bad, but sometimes it feels like people go too far and it really doesn't help improving discussions. There is missing some organization and clearance for this place to make it more user friendly since I think a lot of users would love to engage more in proper discussions if others let them do that. There are threads and discussions that are more serious, such as the OP News subforum or single threads that aren't about specific characters. But still a great part of this place is very toxic.

If some of you now say "then just leave and look for another place", or "quit whining you pussy" etc., then you're probably part of the problem. And I know that a lot of users here come originally from OJ and it was not as toxic as this place here. I know people can lead proper conversations and not bitch at each other like immature brats. The thing this forum is lacking is proper rules and etiquette. It doesn't mean you're not allowed to pull jokes or have fun. But there is definitely a lack of respect and order.

WG often feels like a hole full of wankers and trollers. And it's sad to see such a big community, the OP community to look that immature and toxic. Yes, opinions can be different, yes, they can split and clash, but it should still be possible to not be accused of something just because of that.

Mods, Admins, please do something about it.

I am sure even if some people now say "but we've got all right to say what we want" and "you just don't want us to have fun". I am pretty sure we've all come together to enjoy One Piece, and not trash talk the story, characters and even its readers and parts of the community. You can still have fun, you can still enjoy discussions. But the toxicity is ruining this lovely community that I know has way more to offer than ignorant wankers and trollers who shit on people that just try to lead serious discussions about their favorite manga.

Thanks for listening to my rant, if you're gonna shit on me now, it's useless to answer. Because it shows that you don't see the problem and the occurring stress that is being caused by reading discussions that are 90% toxic, because you are the problem that I am calling out against. Sure, opinions may split. But if you plan on down talking me, it just means that I am right and you're unable to lead a proper discussion with a user who is serious for once.
Well you're right but without shit talking this forum will slowly die

This 100% People dont realize how much it means for everyone to speak up when someone is acting ridiculous. I dont mean ridiculous as in fanboy/girling either. Just certain people that can be so overly toxic and disrespectful. Those are the people that need to be called out on from everybody, not just staff. Its like with the whole social justice/racism thing going on irl. If people want change, we got to do it together as a whole. Same applies to toxicity and bullying.
This is very true, and I wish it could be done, but I'm afraid as long as humans exist with all their differences, it cannot be done :milaugh:

Come on boy, we all know that Zoro fanboys are definition of toxicity, I've seen toxic people on all sides but you gotta be honest if you wanna address the issue, Zoro fanboys are the majority of toxic, angry teenagers.
The Zoro fandom are the majority. Full stop.

Since they make up the majority of active users on this forum in general then it is only logical that there will be more “toxic” Zoro fans when compared to any other fan base.

For a hypothetical scenario, if say 20% of the Luffy fandom on this forum is toxic but the Luffy fandom only contributes to about 10% of the active user base in comparison to 10% of the Zoro fandom being toxic but with the Zoro fandom contributing 40% of the active user base then yes, pro-Zoro “toxicity” is going to appear more apparent.

20% of 10% is always going to look smaller compared to 10% of 40%. The Luffy fandom in this hypothetical scenario would technically be the more toxic fan base but it would never appear that way since the Luffy fandom has so little presence.

Since they make up the majority of active users on this forum in general then it is only logical that there will be more “toxic” Zoro fans when compared to any other fan base.

For a hypothetical scenario, if say 20% of the Luffy fandom on this forum is toxic but the Luffy fandom only contributes to about 10% of the active user base in comparison to 10% of the Zoro fandom being toxic but with the Zoro fandom contributing 40% of the active user base then yes, pro-Zoro “toxicity” is going to appear more apparent.

20% of 10% is always going to look smaller compared to 10% of 40%. The Luffy fandom in this hypothetical scenario would technically be the more toxic fan base but it would never appear that way since the Luffy fandom has so little presence.
Ok, who makes the most ridiculous claims that drives off the rest of the community? As far as I can remember Zoro fan Boys are in the top with their (Zoro will kill Kaido BS) even in WCI Sanji fanboys didn't make those ridiculous claims and again, I've seen toxic people in all sides and I'm active in Twitter and other OP forums alongside WG and the same thing is everywhere but, Zoro fanboys are the same everywhere.

Ok, who makes the most ridiculous claims that drives off the rest of the community? As far as I can remember Zoro fan Boys are in the top with their (Zoro will kill Kaido BS) even in WCI Sanji fanboys didn't make those ridiculous claims and again, I've seen toxic people in all sides and I'm active in Twitter and other OP forums alongside WG and the same thing is everywhere but, Zoro fanboys are the same everywhere.
Lol you're making even this thread a battledome.

It's irrelevant whose fans are the majority. There are a lot of trolls from all sides. It's only about trying to be civil. (Impossible, but yeah.)

I am not long here yet on WG, but I noticed a few things I want to talk about with everyone and especially towards the mods/admins of this forum.

It is about the prevalent trolling, wanking, bashing, and in general toxicity of this forum. All in all this place feels nice and active but I feel like most activity stems from people clashing against each other and make fun of each other. It often feels like there's not much room for a proper discussion because once you mention specific characters you need to be ready to receive a backlash on it or be insulted because of it.

I don't want to say that being a fan of something or someone is bad, but sometimes it feels like people go too far and it really doesn't help improving discussions. There is missing some organization and clearance for this place to make it more user friendly since I think a lot of users would love to engage more in proper discussions if others let them do that. There are threads and discussions that are more serious, such as the OP News subforum or single threads that aren't about specific characters. But still a great part of this place is very toxic.

If some of you now say "then just leave and look for another place", or "quit whining you pussy" etc., then you're probably part of the problem. And I know that a lot of users here come originally from OJ and it was not as toxic as this place here. I know people can lead proper conversations and not bitch at each other like immature brats. The thing this forum is lacking is proper rules and etiquette. It doesn't mean you're not allowed to pull jokes or have fun. But there is definitely a lack of respect and order.

WG often feels like a hole full of wankers and trollers. And it's sad to see such a big community, the OP community to look that immature and toxic. Yes, opinions can be different, yes, they can split and clash, but it should still be possible to not be accused of something just because of that.

Mods, Admins, please do something about it.

I am sure even if some people now say "but we've got all right to say what we want" and "you just don't want us to have fun". I am pretty sure we've all come together to enjoy One Piece, and not trash talk the story, characters and even its readers and parts of the community. You can still have fun, you can still enjoy discussions. But the toxicity is ruining this lovely community that I know has way more to offer than ignorant wankers and trollers who shit on people that just try to lead serious discussions about their favorite manga.

Thanks for listening to my rant, if you're gonna shit on me now, it's useless to answer. Because it shows that you don't see the problem and the occurring stress that is being caused by reading discussions that are 90% toxic, because you are the problem that I am calling out against. Sure, opinions may split. But if you plan on down talking me, it just means that I am right and you're unable to lead a proper discussion with a user who is serious for once.
Most of WG/OJ seem to be a much younger demographic than OP fans from elsewhere, probably late teens and early 20s. I think part of being young, is that culture of immature trolling and commenting, and sometimes a lack of comprehension. We've all been there.

Since when does having a supposedly ridiculous claim make one automatically toxic? That has nothing to do with toxicity. They have the right to that opinion no matter how ridiculous you perceive it to be.

If someone is driven off of a discussion forum because other users have an opinion that they dislike then that individual should not have been on a discussion forum in the first place.

Considering that this thread is in regards to this forum only then that makes discussion regarding any other forum irrelevant, no?
Lol you're making even this thread a battledome.

It's irrelevant whose fans are the majority. There are a lot of trolls from all sides. It's only about trying to be civil. (Impossible, but yeah.)
The problem is, different users perceive concepts such as “toxicity” and “civility” differently.

What some users regard as insulting others will only regard as banter. It is up to individual users to figure out who is thick skinned and who is not.

The problem is, different users perceive concepts such as “toxicity” and “civility” differently.

What some users regard as insulting others will only regard as banter. It is up to individual users to figure out who is thick skinned and who is not.
This is true. But there has to be a clear limit as to how far things can go, and everyone should know it. After all, that's what Udon residents are supposed to showcase.
There’s just too much hate in this Shinobi world One Piece forum.
Us users are the Uchiha and the Senju, and you're Tobirama? :sadgrin:

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Great job @Sievas, I empathize with your sentiments and agree with the spirit of your post. However, I believe the basis for your soliloquy is faulty, the bolded parts to be exact.
I am pretty sure we've all come together to enjoy One Piece, and not trash talk the story, characters and even its readers and parts of the community. You can still have fun, you can still enjoy discussions. But the toxicity is ruining this lovely community that I know has way more to offer than ignorant wankers and trollers who shit on people that just try to lead serious discussions about their favorite manga.
A majority of participants in online hardcore fandoms don’t do it to enjoy their “favorite” series communally. As a 15 year veteran of online hardcore fandoms, I saw it happen in every one of them. Anyone that actively participates in hardcore fandoms has been, at a point in their life, a dedicated fan of said series. A Fan in the purest sense. One that enthusiastically follows said series and tries to digest it for what it does positively and negatively.

As time flows, familiarity and deeper grasp over the series' lore and beats are gained, and fatigue and boredom set in for a group of those fans. Yet, it's always been a passionate pastime of theirs. So, we arrive at the dichotomy of the hardcore forum fandom. That group of fans, having lost their investment in the actual series, direct that investment to fandom itself. The series, initially the object of their investment, becomes but a background for their actual current devotion. Fandom.

By my incomplete induction, I’ll classify our forum fandom, by reason they continue to actively participate.

Will of A members) They've had legitimate long term gripes with the creative/artistic direction of the series and are completely devoid of any emotional attachment to any aspect of it anymore. Nevertheless, they take pleasure in educating the "fanboys" about how oblivious they are to the series' decline in merit. Objectively bad characterization, Incosistent writing, stakes, etc... are terms they usually use (thank you TV Tropes, Cinema Sins, etc...). They don't dabble in memes, shitposting, etc.. They have a superior online philosopher persona to protect :smart:

Will of B members ) Likewise, they've no emotional attachment to the actual series anymore. Nonetheless, they continue to be attached to the high of the shared communal experience of spoiler/new chapter anticipation. Like Roger Ebert once said, "Anyone who would camp out in a tent on the sidewalk, for weeks in order to be first in line for a movie is more into camping on the sidewalk than movies"

Will of C members) They've no emotional attachment to the actual series, but they've directed their devotion to a specific character/power level fandom. They're not reading the series for the series, they're using the series as a gambling simulator. They're fans of fandom wars. Pick a winning horse (character/power level tier) and anticipate every week to see if you have the winning pick. Story, context, character situation, ability interactions, drama, etc... be damned. It's all about "W"s, "L"s, "portrayal", "hype/dehype", etc... They tend to manipulate any thread/conversation back to their character's power level conflict. One panel of one character getting hit, is gold for the hater, and hell for the stan! Limited participation beyond viciously defending their character's power level and baiting/downplaying other character fandoms

Will of D members) They've been invested in the story's lore, characters, drama, action, comedy, art, etc... for a significant portion of their lives, and are participating to express that passion. They have their ups and downs with the story, but overall the investment in fandom is secondary to the investment in the actual series. Participation extends to all topics of discussion, from story, to plot holes, to character interactions, to fan art, to shipping, to comedy, to memes, etc... as reasonably as possible without being absorbed into the discussion parameters set by Groups A-C

Will of E members) They're still invested and would like to discuss the actual story, however, they get absorbed into the parameters of discussion set by Groups A-C. They can't go back to digesting the series as they have in the past. Now, they can only read the series through eyes tinted with "this is an L", "this is bad portrayal", "this is bad writing", "If this happens to this character I like they'll slander him", "Big Meme haha", etc... The poor souls joined to discuss the actual story, only to discover hardcore fandoms have moved on from series discourse to discussing themselves :catcry:catded

Will of F - as in Fanboys) "This series is the greatest thing since we discovered fire" ultimate fanboys. But I don't see much weight for it in our forum. That's mostly Reddit!!!!

Ok after this long-winded breakdown, let me make my actual point. I think you’re speaking for the poor souls in Group E lol Some fans just can't cope with the annoyance of not being able to discuss the series you still care about independently of hardcore fandom chaos. It totally sucks that great fans like you don’t get enjoyment of being here to the extent that you imagined before you joined.

Personally (I’m from the Will of D group btw:madmonk:), I'm the least bothered individual by literally anything online or in person :fransuper:So I still rock with my favorites in a way that's authentic to me and find most of the lAnJi/LiG mEmE shenanigans and memes amusing and entertaining as hell. I know exactly what I come to this forum for, I know hardcore fandom cancer and I enjoy consuming it! Feed me more cancer please! But I completely understand that other fans can't separate their reason for following the series and the reason they frequent hardcore forums.

Yes. I understand that sentiment. But what you are implying with this thread is to remove "these uncultured barbarians" so that others can have normal discussion. That is simply not how it works. There is absolutely no One Piece forum active right now where it works.
As @MD Zolo said, that’s what happens in every forum fandom. If I wanted to seriously discuss One Piece I’d probably not join any online forum as I view the series with different lenses than forum fandom majority. Attempting to reach agreement based on differing subjective premises will always lead to unproductive conversations. Add to that my current workload (I’m literally losing money writing this :usoprice:but I thought your post deserved a legitimate response) doesn’t allow me to share what I actually want to say about the series. So most of my posts now are low effort Gifs and Memes simply to blow off some steam and have some laughs (sorry lads lol). I personally find most fans in all the above groups to be fun/hilarious to talk to. I’ll probably never agree with most of them about many aspects of One Piece, but I can still participate in entertaining chaos nonetheless. I'll legit discuss anything with anybody lol (except when @Monkey D. Luffy @Red Dog @Fujishiro bring up Bao Huang :chopoff:)

I think you’re onto something with group private conversations with other like minded fans. If that helps you enjoy the communal experience by evading the environment of chaos and sourness that dominates main threads, that’s a great idea.

I won’t be able to post much over the next 10 hours, but I’ll be happy to discuss more later if you wanna just vent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.