Improving Discussions, less toxicity

Status
Not open for further replies.
NGL, feels pretty disrespectful to say we wouldn’t care, when we spend so much of our free time to please as much user as possible and try tongue this toxicity. Kinda sad that we need to get spit like that.

the Team does a lot and even when I had no time today for it, I know they were busy like the whole day with dealing with toxicity and dealing with some stuff behind the curtain, which you don’t know. We work a lot on that stuff, discuss so much and give our free time for that, beside full time job, family and stuff.
But we know we can’t please everyone and I guess that is ok. For some people we are to harsh, for others we are to soft, that’s because people are different sensitive for different things. None of them is better or worse, but we need to try to find the best way for the majority and the team is working really hard on it.

Saying we wouldn’t care is just not fair for the Team which worked the whole time on it.
No doubt that the team is doing its best, there are things to maintain and things you all need to solve out that even i don't know about so we're last to talk. The idea of recruiting staff from different time zones though, is not bad either.

24/7 in check

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
We have the waitingroom for the exact same purpose.
It’s not confined to that thread whatsoever, though. We are telling y’all flat out that this behavior can be seen ALL over the forum, so unless the perpetrators are gonna be restricted from posting elsewhere, the Waiting Room is nothing more than a symbol of the larger problem. I expect to see incest and lolita enthusiasts among the powerscalers when I go there in the hopes of seeing early spoilers; at least they have the “decency” to not talk about it in the manga section, unlike the Zoro and Sanji stans who derail literally every conversation.

It’s not confined to that thread whatsoever, though. We are telling y’all flat out that this behavior can be seen ALL over the forum, so unless the perpetrators are gonna be restricted from posting elsewhere, the Waiting Room is nothing more than a symbol of the larger problem. I expect to see incest and lolita enthusiasts among the powerscalers when I go there in the hopes of seeing early spoilers; at least they have the “decency” to not talk about it in the manga section, unlike the Zoro and Sanji stans who derail literally every conversation.
Thanks for your opinion on this matter. I don't dare to visit the Spoiler Waiting Room anymore. It's an lawless zone. And even in other places I sometimes feel people lack decency, especially when it comes to female characters (Hiyori being called a hoe/whore etc or other female characters just being judged by their appearances). I mean y'all can like female characters all you want and find them cute/sexy whatever but sometimes it feels really off. Besides the general fanboying for Zoro/Sanji nobody ever expresses themselves like that for male characters. I don't want to be the one saying it feels sexist but it kinda does, to me at least. That's a whole different matter though but plays into the general aspect of decency and respect imo.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Thanks for your opinion on this matter. I don't dare to visit the Spoiler Waiting Room anymore. It's an lawless zone. And even in other places I sometimes feel people lack decency, especially when it comes to female characters (Hiyori being called a hoe/whore etc or other female characters just being judged by their appearances). I mean y'all can like female characters all you want and find them cute/sexy whatever but sometimes it feels really off. Besides the general fanboying for Zoro/Sanji nobody ever expresses themselves like that for male characters. I don't want to be the one saying it feels sexist but it kinda does, to me at least. That's a whole different matter though but plays into the general aspect of decency and respect imo.
Well, I’ve had private discussions with folks who lament the blatant sexism and homophobia on this forum, and I think they’re absolutely right. What gay person would see Shishio casually toss the F word around and feel safe revealing their orientation? Who could see the way female characters are attacked and think they can comfortably admit to being a lesbian? Based purely on statistics, we must have AT LEAST several members of the LGBTQIA+ community on this site, but is anyone open about it in the face of all these slurs?? Like, fuck, isn’t the general stereotype of manga fans as greasy, creepy harassers embarrassing to anyone else?? Of all fandoms, we should be the most eager to dispel that notion...

One Piece is, at its core, a very progressive series with positive portrayals of non-heterosexual characters and combatting clear racism...so HOW in the HELL are we STILL just as toxic as any other place?? Why the fuck can’t our worst members TRY to not be awful?? You can still insult each other for your obsession with a specific cartoon character without using language that hurts entire groups of people, it’s not that fucking hard.

Well, I’ve had private discussions with folks who lament the blatant sexism and homophobia on this forum, and I think they’re absolutely right. What gay person would see Shishio casually toss the F word around and feel safe revealing their orientation? Who could see the way female characters are attacked and think they can comfortably admit to being a lesbian? Based purely on statistics, we must have AT LEAST several members of the LGBTQIA+ community on this site, but is anyone open about it in the face of all these slurs?? Like, fuck, isn’t the general stereotype of manga fans as greasy, creepy harassers embarrassing to anyone else?? Of all fandoms, we should be the most eager to dispel that notion...

One Piece is, at its core, a very progressive series with positive portrayals of non-heterosexual characters and combatting clear racism...so HOW in the HELL are we STILL just as toxic as any other place?? Why the fuck can’t our worst members TRY to not be awful?? You can still insult each other for your obsession with a specific cartoon character without using language that hurts entire groups of people, it’s not that fucking hard.
Thank you, this text is pure beauty. I always thought "okay, Japan has a different society with different values" and a lot of manga/anime fans do embrace this sort of style even though they partly live in way more progressive countries and societies. I don't mind but especially this community feels so discriminating at times. Be it about sex/gender/sexuality/race. It doesn't matter. I mostly just noticed topics like female characters or topics like Kiku or Yamato. Sure, opinions may split but why not just accept it as Oda portrays it? It's not difficult. Instead by refusing, you just make others feel insecure if they see themselves in those characters as for once such topics get addressed in One Piece in a positive way. It's sad, yes. Hate speech isn't freedom of speech in my opinion. It's just harmful.

Or just don't insult anyone here.

Issue is we're talking about the problem in depth more than we are talking about the solutions in depth
Post automatically merged:

@Jew D. Boy isnt the problem, as he is discussing the issue and solutions at hand,

Tell that to the people who insult and bait, when you do, it literally wont solve anything because they will still continue to do so

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Yeah, that’s obviously the goal...people get overly passionate, which is something I fully understand, but if you get incensed and wanna attack someone, make it about how you disagree with their argument, don’t call them offensive names and make others feel unwelcome. We’re primarily dealing with children, so they could consider this the first baby step on the path to adulthood.

Toxicity is always going to be present when gratuitous characters/series bashing is allowed. People can get pretty passionate about these type of things so discussions become agressive and personal, with namecalling and insults following. :kayneshrug: Not saying anything should be changed, but it is what it is.

Toxicity is always going to be present when gratuitous characters/series bashing is allowed. People can get pretty passionate about these type of things so discussions become agressive and personal, with namecalling and insults following. :kayneshrug: Not saying anything should be changed, but it is what it is.
if you think nothing can be changed, you‘ve already lost. If you think nothing should be changed, it’s sad. At least in my opinion. If the mods would take a step forward to reduce toxicity maybe it would just as well work without.

I don’t think I mentioned morality once in my entire post, or even implied that this had anything to do with morality. This is a question of whether or not we are going to implement the same moderation tactics that already killed one forum and is currently strangling another forum.

I came here to make it clear why tactics like this have absolutely no business being implemented by the mods, ever.

...well actually I just kinda came hear to lurk, and then I see people casually throwing around the same ideas that destroyed OJ unironically.

As someone who financially supports WG on a monthly basis, of course I’m going to be very vocal about my opposition to literally repeating history.

This is complete nonsense. The OJ Mods initiated extreme measures without any provocation or justification. They randomly antagonized the Worst Gen Club by locking the club and then ostracized any and all users even remotely associated with it and spread outright lies about users. They were banning users such as myself, who had never accumulated even a single warning point, based on nothing more than personal prejudice and guilt by association.
It not complete nonsense, because it happened and there was a thread explaining what happen on Orojackson. From what I recall the worst gen club had it coming because they were the ones that first antagonized the moderators and the moderators were patience enough to let it slip by but when you guys cyberbullied a minor to gain a moderator attention, that was the last straw. It also no coincidence that some of the toxic members that were part of the worst gen club are the same toxic people here. It unfortunate what happen to the people that were part of the worst gen club who didn't participate in the discord chat but to the bystander that let it happen and didn't say like hey, maybe we shouldn't do/say are part of the blame.

Before OJ shutdown, I requested my OJ account to be deleted. It was in OJ's very own Rules section that I had a right to this under EU law (The Right to be Forgotten if I recall correctly). Guess what happened? They banned me out of pure spite and told me "You have been banned for the following reason: Goodbye".

In order to ban me after my account deletion request, they had to break their own forum rules and even EU law. They still did it anyway.

The Mods were the reason OJ collapsed before it closed permanently. The Mods went from enforcing site rules to completely disregarding site rules so they could ban any user they either disliked or who had publicly disagreed with their actions, purely out of petty satisfaction. The Mods disregarding their very own rules is why the site went completely downhill.
Again, that unfortunate what happen to you.
In my point of view, if Orojackson were to to not close down.. The site would still be one of the largest Online forums. Banning 20 to 50 people at most wouldn't hurt it at all. And I believe the moderators were fine, they hold their patience long enough for people who were toxic. And why many others who weren't part of the worst gen club didn't get bann or weren't part of the issue.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
From what I recall the worst gen club had it coming because they were the ones that first antagonized the moderators and the moderators were patience enough to let it slip by but when you guys cyberbullied a minor to gain a moderator attention, that was the last straw.
I’m glad you posted this, because now I know for sure that you weren’t even present for anything you claim to know and have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

It not complete nonsense, because it happened and there was a thread explaining what happen on Orojackson. From what I recall the worst gen club had it coming because they were the ones that first antagonized the moderators and the moderators were patience enough to let it slip by but when you guys cyberbullied a minor to gain a moderator attention, that was the last straw. It also no coincidence that some of the toxic members that were part of the worst gen club are the same toxic people here. It unfortunate what happen to the people that were part of the worst gen club who didn't participate in the discord chat but to the bystander that let it happen and didn't say like hey, maybe we shouldn't do/say are part of the blame.
A thread made by the corrupt OJ Mods that consistently lied through their teeth in a sad attempt to justify their wholly illicit bans. How much do you honestly think such a thread is worth?

Your “recollection” is simply woefully incorrect. The Mods attacked without provocation or justification first. There were no warnings, no signals, nothing major that should have triggered it, the club was simply closed. The official reason as given by Neko, was that we “talked about user bans” which was utterly hypocritical given how Larsi flat out talked in detail about Beta’s ban in the RP chat.

This “cyberbullying” of a minor also never happened. It was just another fabricated lie peddled by forum tinpot despots.

Again, that unfortunate what happen to you.
In my point of view, if Orojackson were to to not close down.. The site would still be one of the largest Online forums. Banning 20 to 50 people at most wouldn't hurt it at all. And I believe the moderators were fine, they hold their patience long enough for people who were toxic. And why many others who weren't part of the worst gen club didn't get bann or weren't part of the issue.
OJ lost most of (if not) all of it’s objectively best and most active posters, debaters, translators and theorists (a few of whom were patreons) due to their mediocre moderation.

What use is numbers when they either never do anything, never pay for anything and/or who only produce asinine content? If the collapse of what was once the most successful OP forum is anything to go by, it means utterly nothing.

It is of absolute no surprise that the forum collapsed after they culled the cream of their own crop.

Lastly, to maintain that Mods who broke their very own forum rules (as well as actual law) out of petty spite “were fine” is simply pure delusion. When a Moderator breaks the very rules that they are supposed to enforce then they have utterly failed as a Moderator and are completely unfit for the job.

Last edited:
I’m glad you posted this, because now I know for sure that you weren’t even present for anything you claim to know and have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Sure, then why not explain to all? Because I remembered it and I went to the Zoro fan club to say Wow, how could you guys do that....
It was the first waves of banns and I was present because the Zoro fan clubs people were dropping like flies..

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Sure, then why not explain to all? Because I remembered it and I went to the Zoro fan club to say Wow, how could you guys do that....
I’m not going to defend anyone from obvious horseshit with no evidential backing. What was done exactly? Do you have screen shots of whatever was supposedly done?

You have screen shots of some poor-taste jokes in discord, okay. Anything else?

I have screen shots of the OJ mods accusing myself and 5 others of creating alts to DNS attack OJ with but then producing no evidence whatsoever of such alts and telling the users who asked about them to fuck off and/or banning them just for wanting to see evidence of such activities. I didn’t even know what a fucking DNS attack was until I had to research it to discover what exactly the OJ mods were accusing myself and half-a-dozen users of lol.

Did the OJ mods tell you that part of the story when you were deep-throating their propaganda?

Status
Not open for further replies.