Improving Discussions, less toxicity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great job @Sievas, I empathize with your sentiments and agree with the spirit of your post. However, I believe the basis for your soliloquy is faulty, the bolded parts to be exact.

A majority of participants in online hardcore fandoms don’t do it to enjoy their “favorite” series communally. As a 15 year veteran of online hardcore fandoms, I saw it happen in every one of them. Anyone that actively participates in hardcore fandoms has been, at a point in their life, a dedicated fan of said series. A Fan in the purest sense. One that enthusiastically follows said series and tries to digest it for what it does positively and negatively.

As time flows, familiarity and deeper grasp over the series' lore and beats are gained, and fatigue and boredom set in for a group of those fans. Yet, it's always been a passionate pastime of theirs. So, we arrive at the dichotomy of the hardcore forum fandom. That group of fans, having lost their investment in the actual series, direct that investment to fandom itself. The series, initially the object of their investment, becomes but a background for their actual current devotion. Fandom.

By my incomplete induction, I’ll classify our forum fandom, by reason they continue to actively participate.

Will of A members) They've had legitimate long term gripes with the creative/artistic direction of the series and are completely devoid of any emotional attachment to any aspect of it anymore. Nevertheless, they take pleasure in educating the "fanboys" about how oblivious they are to the series' decline in merit. Objectively bad characterization, Incosistent writing, stakes, etc... are terms they usually use (thank you TV Tropes, Cinema Sins, etc...). They don't dabble in memes, shitposting, etc.. They have a superior online philosopher persona to protect :smart:

Will of B members ) Likewise, they've no emotional attachment to the actual series anymore. Nonetheless, they continue to be attached to the high of the shared communal experience of spoiler/new chapter anticipation. Like Roger Ebert once said, "Anyone who would camp out in a tent on the sidewalk, for weeks in order to be first in line for a movie is more into camping on the sidewalk than movies"

Will of C members) They've no emotional attachment to the actual series, but they've directed their devotion to a specific character/power level fandom. They're not reading the series for the series, they're using the series as a gambling simulator. They're fans of fandom wars. Pick a winning horse (character/power level tier) and anticipate every week to see if you have the winning pick. Story, context, character situation, ability interactions, drama, etc... be damned. It's all about "W"s, "L"s, "portrayal", "hype/dehype", etc... They tend to manipulate any thread/conversation back to their character's power level conflict. One panel of one character getting hit, is gold for the hater, and hell for the stan! Limited participation beyond viciously defending their character's power level and baiting/downplaying other character fandoms

Will of D members) They've been invested in the story's lore, characters, drama, action, comedy, art, etc... for a significant portion of their lives, and are participating to express that passion. They have their ups and downs with the story, but overall the investment in fandom is secondary to the investment in the actual series. Participation extends to all topics of discussion, from story, to plot holes, to character interactions, to fan art, to shipping, to comedy, to memes, etc... as reasonably as possible without being absorbed into the discussion parameters set by Groups A-C

Will of E members) They're still invested and would like to discuss the actual story, however, they get absorbed into the parameters of discussion set by Groups A-C. They can't go back to digesting the series as they have in the past. Now, they can only read the series through eyes tinted with "this is an L", "this is bad portrayal", "this is bad writing", "If this happens to this character I like they'll slander him", "Big Meme haha", etc... The poor souls joined to discuss the actual story, only to discover hardcore fandoms have moved on from series discourse to discussing themselves :catcry:catded

Will of F - as in Fanboys) "This series is the greatest thing since we discovered fire" ultimate fanboys. But I don't see much weight for it in our forum. That's mostly Reddit!!!!

Ok after this long-winded breakdown, let me make my actual point. I think you’re speaking for the poor souls in Group E lol Some fans just can't cope with the annoyance of not being able to discuss the series you still care about independently of hardcore fandom chaos. It totally sucks that great fans like you don’t get enjoyment of being here to the extent that you imagined before you joined.

Personally (I’m from the Will of D group btw:madmonk:), I'm the least bothered individual by literally anything online or in person :fransuper:So I still rock with my favorites in a way that's authentic to me and find most of the lAnJi/LiG mEmE shenanigans and memes amusing and entertaining as hell. I know exactly what I come to this forum for, I know hardcore fandom cancer and I enjoy consuming it! Feed me more cancer please! But I completely understand that other fans can't separate their reason for following the series and the reason they frequent hardcore forums.

As @MD Zolo said, that’s what happens in every forum fandom. If I wanted to seriously discuss One Piece I’d probably not join any online forum as I view the series with different lenses than forum fandom majority. Attempting to reach agreement based on differing subjective premises will always lead to unproductive conversations. Add to that my current workload (I’m literally losing money writing this :usoprice:but I thought your post deserved a legitimate response) doesn’t allow me to share what I actually want to say about the series. So most of my posts now are low effort Gifs and Memes simply to blow off some steam and have some laughs (sorry lads lol). I personally find most fans in all the above groups to be fun/hilarious to talk to. I’ll probably never agree with most of them about many aspects of One Piece, but I can still participate in entertaining chaos nonetheless. I'll legit discuss anything with anybody lol (except when @Monkey D. Luffy @Red Dog @Fujishiro bring up Bao Huang :chopoff:)

I think you’re onto something with group private conversations with other like minded fans. If that helps you enjoy the communal experience by evading the environment of chaos and sourness that dominates main threads, that’s a great idea.

I won’t be able to post much over the next 10 hours, but I’ll be happy to discuss more later if you wanna just vent.
WOW, it's almost as if you're writing a thesis on this, well done.

It's exactly so. And alas this is the situation in any fandom I've encountered so far. At the beginning I was annoyed much like @Sievas, because I came here to talk about this wonderful story and I was showered with spitting on the story instead. But eventually you see it for what it is, we're all disappointed about things because we're passionate about it. People want beloved characters to shine, and that's okay. Now it doesn't bother me anymore because I appreciate the passion, regardless if it comes from a 17 year old or a 25 year old. Sure, kids are more intense about it in general, but we shouldn't want to mute them.

Having rules applicable to all should be perfectly fine, there is no need for overkill censorship.

@Sievas We can form a club for story discussing only!

Controversial: Shanks > Mihawk
Pipe down.

Coming from the glorified police state that is NF OL, I really enjoy how loose and fun this place is. The memes are hilarious, even though my fandom is mostly on the receiving end of them.

Honestly I don't see a lot of toxicity. Toxicity to me, is someone outright getting personal. If someone makes fun of characters then it's harmless imo.

I also haven't seen serious discussion silenced by louder voices. I mean someone like Admiral Lee is the memer in chief but he also makes very detailed and serious threads sometimes about characters. People like Cinera also write mini-dissertations that are taken seriously. I think for the most part this forum balances the fun and serious pretty well. Outliers are always gonna be there though :kayneshrug:

Some people will take things too seriously and take it personally.

OJ was my first forum for One Piece. I was there for a long while and spent plenty of time there. I have to say I prefer the admins/mods here by a mile. I never feel like they act they are above everyone. I dont get the sense that its super strict here either. It feels like everyone tries to work with each other. I personally feel OJ was a lot more toxic. I didnt even want to discuss One Piece over there. Here its like people just have fun. They will joke a lot which I like. Im able to conversate about anything, even the power scaling. I appreciate the staff here for being chill. Its not easy at all. The one piece community as a whole is very toxic at times.
Especially at the end of OJ it felt toxic to me as well, that is true. But even though I know people like to have fun here too, it feels more toxic to me at least, or at least that they don't contribute much to the discussions so I don't always know where to engage. So I also just stick to a "chapter reaction" and then read five posts in the new chapter discussion thread before I close it since I don't see much material to talk about. Maybe that's just me though. I am glad you enjoy this forum nonetheless.

What Zoro fans do in Zoro FC should not bother anyone. You are not forced to be in Zoro FC and frankly that thread was built for only those who are interested in worshipping Zoro (it is a Temple). For example, ImmaIvanoM is a Zoro fan who is not a part of Zoro FC and nobody has forced him to join. Thus "tolerance" is absolutely not an issue. What they do there can't be placed as an issue.

Your second point was that normal Zoro fans don't get a voice. That's outright wrong. Again, ImmaIvanoM talks however he likes in all threads and nobody is hindering his discussion. You need to have proper discussion to have voice.

If you want your view of Zoro to be the prevalent one, well, your voice should be higher. When 40+ people have same voice, they will get greater soundbite. Do they represent Zoro fans? As per democracy, they do. Which is perfectly fine.
That may be your opinion then. If a fanclub is only for worshipping anymore, it is useless to me. And if the "toxic zoro fanboys" as they are called more visible my voice won't come through of course.

But what you are implying with this thread is to remove "these uncultured barbarians" so that others can have normal discussion.
I never said that. I said that it should be possible for people to respect others, and contribute more to the actual discussion instead of trolling around and wanking. You can put your thoughts one way which sounds like trolling and wanking, or you could actually talk in a clean sentences and words and thus not look like you're just immaturely picking fights. And once a joke or twice is still okay. Just to tone it down a bit.

What can be done is:

Create a "Curated Discussion" sub-forum. The normal trolls can be infinitely banned from that sub-forum. This sub-forum can be highlighted as the main sub-forum for WG. I am sure that this sub-forum will be dead, but it will provide safe space for many who can't tolerate the banter.
I don't know what you're trying to get at with this. I can't understand what this should do besides splitting a community and discouraging people who want to discuss and encouraging others to roam freely and be toxic.

This 100% People dont realize how much it means for everyone to speak up when someone is acting ridiculous. I dont mean ridiculous as in fanboy/girling either. Just certain people that can be so overly toxic and disrespectful. Those are the people that need to be called out on from everybody, not just staff. Its like with the whole social justice/racism thing going on irl. If people want change, we got to do it together as a whole. Same applies to toxicity and bullying.
Thanks for speaking out! That's totally true and that's what I mean. We need to work together on this.

Being too strict is not a good path, freedom of speech has to be a thing (as long as it's not insults).
I don't want a place that's too strict either! I just want people to pay more attention on how they behave, to be respectful and to know the boundaries or rules.

Well you're right but without shit talking this forum will slowly die
As I said multiple times now, I don't want to make the suggestion to ban it completely. I've got nothing against jokes and stuff. But a few users and a lot of posts are just toxic, trolling and don't contribute to everything besides annoying people and picking fights with others.

Most of WG/OJ seem to be a much younger demographic than OP fans from elsewhere, probably late teens and early 20s. I think part of being young, is that culture of immature trolling and commenting, and sometimes a lack of comprehension. We've all been there.
That I can't say. It could be true but I am sure a lot of people are also older. I am only 21 myself but still I am able to converse respectfully with others and not just trolling around. Though I do see a lot of toxicity on other places as well, especially from younger people.

This is true. But there has to be a clear limit as to how far things can go, and everyone should know it. After all, that's what Udon residents are supposed to showcase.
Right. There need to be some boundaries for people. And all I want is actuall some more contribution to actual discussion.

Great job @Sievas, I empathize with your sentiments and agree with the spirit of your post. However, I believe the basis for your soliloquy is faulty, the bolded parts to be exact.

A majority of participants in online hardcore fandoms don’t do it to enjoy their “favorite” series communally. As a 15 year veteran of online hardcore fandoms, I saw it happen in every one of them. Anyone that actively participates in hardcore fandoms has been, at a point in their life, a dedicated fan of said series. A Fan in the purest sense. One that enthusiastically follows said series and tries to digest it for what it does positively and negatively.

As time flows, familiarity and deeper grasp over the series' lore and beats are gained, and fatigue and boredom set in for a group of those fans. Yet, it's always been a passionate pastime of theirs. So, we arrive at the dichotomy of the hardcore forum fandom. That group of fans, having lost their investment in the actual series, direct that investment to fandom itself. The series, initially the object of their investment, becomes but a background for their actual current devotion. Fandom.

By my incomplete induction, I’ll classify our forum fandom, by reason they continue to actively participate.

Will of A members) They've had legitimate long term gripes with the creative/artistic direction of the series and are completely devoid of any emotional attachment to any aspect of it anymore. Nevertheless, they take pleasure in educating the "fanboys" about how oblivious they are to the series' decline in merit. Objectively bad characterization, Incosistent writing, stakes, etc... are terms they usually use (thank you TV Tropes, Cinema Sins, etc...). They don't dabble in memes, shitposting, etc.. They have a superior online philosopher persona to protect :smart:

Will of B members ) Likewise, they've no emotional attachment to the actual series anymore. Nonetheless, they continue to be attached to the high of the shared communal experience of spoiler/new chapter anticipation. Like Roger Ebert once said, "Anyone who would camp out in a tent on the sidewalk, for weeks in order to be first in line for a movie is more into camping on the sidewalk than movies"

Will of C members) They've no emotional attachment to the actual series, but they've directed their devotion to a specific character/power level fandom. They're not reading the series for the series, they're using the series as a gambling simulator. They're fans of fandom wars. Pick a winning horse (character/power level tier) and anticipate every week to see if you have the winning pick. Story, context, character situation, ability interactions, drama, etc... be damned. It's all about "W"s, "L"s, "portrayal", "hype/dehype", etc... They tend to manipulate any thread/conversation back to their character's power level conflict. One panel of one character getting hit, is gold for the hater, and hell for the stan! Limited participation beyond viciously defending their character's power level and baiting/downplaying other character fandoms

Will of D members) They've been invested in the story's lore, characters, drama, action, comedy, art, etc... for a significant portion of their lives, and are participating to express that passion. They have their ups and downs with the story, but overall the investment in fandom is secondary to the investment in the actual series. Participation extends to all topics of discussion, from story, to plot holes, to character interactions, to fan art, to shipping, to comedy, to memes, etc... as reasonably as possible without being absorbed into the discussion parameters set by Groups A-C

Will of E members) They're still invested and would like to discuss the actual story, however, they get absorbed into the parameters of discussion set by Groups A-C. They can't go back to digesting the series as they have in the past. Now, they can only read the series through eyes tinted with "this is an L", "this is bad portrayal", "this is bad writing", "If this happens to this character I like they'll slander him", "Big Meme haha", etc... The poor souls joined to discuss the actual story, only to discover hardcore fandoms have moved on from series discourse to discussing themselves :catcry:catded

Will of F - as in Fanboys) "This series is the greatest thing since we discovered fire" ultimate fanboys. But I don't see much weight for it in our forum. That's mostly Reddit!!!!

Ok after this long-winded breakdown, let me make my actual point. I think you’re speaking for the poor souls in Group E lol Some fans just can't cope with the annoyance of not being able to discuss the series you still care about independently of hardcore fandom chaos. It totally sucks that great fans like you don’t get enjoyment of being here to the extent that you imagined before you joined.

Personally (I’m from the Will of D group btw:madmonk:), I'm the least bothered individual by literally anything online or in person :fransuper:So I still rock with my favorites in a way that's authentic to me and find most of the lAnJi/LiG mEmE shenanigans and memes amusing and entertaining as hell. I know exactly what I come to this forum for, I know hardcore fandom cancer and I enjoy consuming it! Feed me more cancer please! But I completely understand that other fans can't separate their reason for following the series and the reason they frequent hardcore forums.

As @MD Zolo said, that’s what happens in every forum fandom. If I wanted to seriously discuss One Piece I’d probably not join any online forum as I view the series with different lenses than forum fandom majority. Attempting to reach agreement based on differing subjective premises will always lead to unproductive conversations. Add to that my current workload (I’m literally losing money writing this :usoprice:but I thought your post deserved a legitimate response) doesn’t allow me to share what I actually want to say about the series. So most of my posts now are low effort Gifs and Memes simply to blow off some steam and have some laughs (sorry lads lol). I personally find most fans in all the above groups to be fun/hilarious to talk to. I’ll probably never agree with most of them about many aspects of One Piece, but I can still participate in entertaining chaos nonetheless. I'll legit discuss anything with anybody lol (except when @Monkey D. Luffy @Red Dog @Fujishiro bring up Bao Huang :chopoff:)

I think you’re onto something with group private conversations with other like minded fans. If that helps you enjoy the communal experience by evading the environment of chaos and sourness that dominates main threads, that’s a great idea.

I won’t be able to post much over the next 10 hours, but I’ll be happy to discuss more later if you wanna just vent.
Damn, thanks for your HUGE reply! I am very happy that you took the time to talk about your thoughts (rip your money tho). I've been reading One Piece for over five years now. I had times I was very hyped every chapter, especially at the start, and points where I just read and almost forgot. The passion toned down a lot for me as well. But it is still there. I enjoy to read, but I also see flaws. I would put myself as a mix of type D/E.

But I think it's still sad that a majority of this forum feels like what you say to be type A-C. Just writing a lot of shit, engaging in the fandom, but not the story itself anymore. It can't be much helped but to me it's sadly not near as much entertainment as halfway proper discussions where I can actually invest time into to read posts and think about what other people say.
WOW, it's almost as if you're writing a thesis on this, well done.

It's exactly so. And alas this is the situation in any fandom I've encountered so far. At the beginning I was annoyed much like @Sievas, because I came here to talk about this wonderful story and I was showered with spitting on the story instead. But eventually you see it for what it is, we're all disappointed about things because we're passionate about it. People want beloved characters to shine, and that's okay. Now it doesn't bother me anymore because I appreciate the passion, regardless if it comes from a 17 year old or a 25 year old. Sure, kids are more intense about it in general, but we shouldn't want to mute them.

Having rules applicable to all should be perfectly fine, there is no need for overkill censorship.

@Sievas We can form a club for story discussing only!

Controversial: Shanks > Mihawk
Pipe down.
Sadly I just don't feel like bowing down to the meme and troll talks and just accept fate as it is. That's why I am doing this here. Of course I understand that passion can get lost over time and you look for other stuff to pass your time with. But I just get annoyed easily if I want to read through a thread but need to scroll through a lot of posts to find those that actually contribute to the discussion...

Coming from the glorified police state that is NF OL, I really enjoy how loose and fun this place is. The memes are hilarious, even though my fandom is mostly on the receiving end of them.

Honestly I don't see a lot of toxicity. Toxicity to me, is someone outright getting personal. If someone makes fun of characters then it's harmless imo.

I also haven't seen serious discussion silenced by louder voices. I mean someone like Admiral Lee is the memer in chief but he also makes very detailed and serious threads sometimes about characters. People like Cinera also write mini-dissertations that are taken seriously. I think for the most part this forum balances the fun and serious pretty well. Outliers are always gonna be there though :kayneshrug:

I am glad you enjoy this forum! Everyone got own opinion on the matter, some are more thick skinned and some aren't. But to me this place feels just pretty immature overall. Some posts can be funny, but a lot I just think are annoying or a waste of time to read and it discourages me to find valuable things to read...

Sadly I just don't feel like bowing down to the meme and troll talks and just accept fate as it is. That's why I am doing this here. Of course I understand that passion can get lost over time and you look for other stuff to pass your time with. But I just get annoyed easily if I want to read through a thread but need to scroll through a lot of posts to find those that actually contribute to the discussion...
I don't think you should either. The thing is that most discussions have been recycled 100000000000 times already, because this manga has been ongoing forever. Most of these people have seen it all, now all there is left to do is friendly banter.

BUT what we can definitely do to contribute to discussion quality is making cool discussion threads as we get new manga info. :catblush: (for our club, no powerscaling allowed)

That I can't say. It could be true but I am sure a lot of people are also older. I am only 21 myself but still I am able to converse respectfully with others and not just trolling around. Though I do see a lot of toxicity on other places as well, especially from younger people.
I'm talking in general terms. Obviously not every 21 year old is always trolling etc but talking generally.
Older fans just have different experiences to reading One Piece, those who were reading it pre-timeskip during the Big 3 era and have different perspectives on OP characters than newer fans I feel.

I don't think you should either. The thing is that most discussions have been recycled 100000000000 times already, because this manga has been ongoing forever. Most of these people have seen it all, now all there is left to do is friendly banter.

BUT what we can definitely do to contribute to discussion quality is making cool discussion threads as we get new manga info. :catblush: (for our club, no powerscaling allowed)
The thing about the club idea is (sorry that I didn't answer about that), that it just creates a safe space within this mess and doesn't actively solve the problem. I don't know if the problem will ever be worked on as it depends on the users themselves and the whole community, but just creating a small space for people who want to talk is sort of sad in my eyes. I'll keep it in mind though.

I'm talking in general terms. Obviously not every 21 year old is always trolling etc but talking generally.
Older fans just have different experiences to reading One Piece, those who were reading it pre-timeskip during the Big 3 era and have different perspectives on OP characters than newer fans I feel.
That's possible. As said I don't really know about that but I can imagine that depending on how long someone read it and when they started it and how long they are reading already they all got different perspectives.

M

MD Zolo

That may be your opinion then. If a fanclub is only for worshipping anymore, it is useless to me. And if the "toxic zoro fanboys" as they are called more visible my voice won't come through of course.
I take offense at both. Nobody told you to join Zoro FC, so your point is moot. Secondly, if your voice doesn't come through, it is your fault, not theirs. Do you even know how democracy works?

I never said that. I said that it should be possible for people to respect others, and contribute more to the actual discussion instead of trolling around and wanking. You can put your thoughts one way which sounds like trolling and wanking, or you could actually talk in a clean sentences and words and thus not look like you're just immaturely picking fights. And once a joke or twice is still okay. Just to tone it down a bit.
You still implied it. You are calling the half of the forum "problem".

I don't know what you're trying to get at with this. I can't understand what this should do besides splitting a community and discouraging people who want to discuss and encouraging others to roam freely and be toxic.
I have already made the point that the people you call "toxic" are the lifeblood of this forum. If there are people who wants to avoid them, it falls upon them to stay in a safe place.

Pantheos, Bogard and everybody here may say that they agree with you, but removing your "toxic" users will definitely kill this forum.

Finally, your solution of toning it down is only a theoretical solution. It is not a practical solution due to the loopholes and abuse of system.

The thing about the club idea is (sorry that I didn't answer about that), that it just creates a safe space within this mess and doesn't actively solve the problem. I don't know if the problem will ever be worked on as it depends on the users themselves and the whole community, but just creating a small space for people who want to talk is sort of sad in my eyes. I'll keep it in mind though.
Although we should all work on being better (I'm as guilty as anyone), it's impossible to force people to adjust to this. For example, one can't say "no shitposting". Why not? I like shitposting as well, this is the only place where everyone will understand your jokes, that's why we gathered on a forum. No off topic posting, no empty posts, no repeated posts, no calling something bullshit, not being able to voice your opinion - soon we'd be left with no one being able to post anything. That would easily lead to a OJ-like rebellion. I love the song, but no one can be the Master of Puppets over so many users.

Feedback for admins and mods is great, but they shouldn't have to be burdened with looking into every single post in existence etc. :catsweat:

I am glad you enjoy this forum! Everyone got own opinion on the matter, some are more thick skinned and some aren't. But to me this place feels just pretty immature overall. Some posts can be funny, but a lot I just think are annoying or a waste of time to read and it discourages me to find valuable things to read...
Well to be blunt you would probably be in the minority. Ultimately discussion is fueled by what sticks the most. You'll probably find that the majority don't want to engage in long-form serious discussion. If memeing and joking reign, then that's probably what the majority enjoy. 'Likes' also give a signal to users about what kind of posting has currency.

If staff try being strict with that kind of stuff it will just result in the loss of the majority of users. I think a far better way is to encourage more thoughtful posts with rewards. For instance 'theorist of the month' or 'debater of the month'. You would maintain the culture that draws the majority of users, while still encouraging more positive behaviour.

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
Remove TAC from the mod position and the problem is solved. :afrokappa:

For instance 'theorist of the month' or 'debater of the month'. You would maintain the culture that draws the majority of users, while still encouraging more positive behaviour.
This I agree with. There was an initiative by Cinera iirc for serious discussions only, but I believe that an incentive will provide better results. A custom user tag, special user title, something like that can work as well.

Man did you hit the nail on this one, really commendable. Btw Will of D roll call!

We are all Cs in the end but As and Bs directed their devotion on themselves and Fs on Oda.
Es and Ds are just phases everyone has passed (me) or is going to pass (redditors for example).
No one can be an E or a D forever :hihihi:

Ok, here's my take. And mine alone, not anyone else in the staffs.

The important thing you need to remember though is that we (the staff) are running this place for you guys. It's not for us. We don't make money out of this. We don't have staff parties with hookers and blow made from money generated per shitpost. We have to pay for those parties out our own pockets. I do this purely because I am incredible fond of One Piece and I like having somewhere to talk about it. I don't get anything other than that out of this.

We run this place the way, as far as I can tell, the majority of the users want it run. I find some of the stuff that goes on here completely exasperating, and I don't care for it at all. So yes, I can sympathise there with what you're saying. I'd rather the conversation was different. Akai's uttelry fantastic analysis of the fan culture here is totally correct, I'd say I'm a D, I'd love it if everyone here was also a D. That's not the reality though.

But we are here to moderate, not to dictate. There is a key difference there.

Frankly, I just don't see a turnaround as realistic. Not without going for the extreme measure of going wild with the ban hammer. And OJ doing that is one of the main reasons this site took off the way it did. Users came here because we- the staff- are not going to be like the OJ staff were.

Soca can suck my fat dick tbh, dude banned me cause I was angry that jimbei was fine and was so mad about odas writting that I spent the better part of the next few weeks criticizing the series. Dude didn’t like it and banned me.

I take offense at both. Nobody told you to join Zoro FC, so your point is moot. Secondly, if your voice doesn't come through, it is your fault, not theirs. Do you even know how democracy works?
??? I don't get where you're trying to get with this? I know I joined the FC on my own accord and I figured I don't like it?? That's all?? And the point I try to bring across is, if Zoro fanboys didn't have such bad status partly, it would be easier to talk casually about that particular character.

I have already made the point that the people you call "toxic" are the lifeblood of this forum. If there are people who wants to avoid them, it falls upon them to stay in a safe place.

Pantheos, Bogard and everybody here may say that they agree with you, but removing your "toxic" users will definitely kill this forum.

Finally, your solution of toning it down is only a theoretical solution. It is not a practical solution due to the loopholes and abuse of system.
For the last time, I never said I want to remove everyone from this forum. And if my idea works or not you can't say since it didn't happen yet.

Well to be blunt you would probably be in the minority. Ultimately discussion is fueled by what sticks the most. You'll probably find that the majority don't want to engage in long-form serious discussion. If memeing and joking reign, then that's probably what the majority enjoy. 'Likes' also give a signal to users about what kind of posting has currency.

If staff try being strict with that kind of stuff it will just result in the loss of the majority of users. I think a far better way is to encourage more thoughtful posts with rewards. For instance 'theorist of the month' or 'debater of the month'. You would maintain the culture that draws the majority of users, while still encouraging more positive behaviour.
That's an idea! And yea I am aware it seems I am in the minority here. Doesn't mean the minority should be swept away. That's what I'm trying to prevent here.

Status
Not open for further replies.