Character Discussion Fuck Kaido as a character

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
But why does a juggernaut 1v1 king type of character need a super detailed backstory? I think one of the coolest things about Kaido is how simple his motivations are, and how he brute forced his way through every problem in his life, and yet he makes a master planner like Doflamingo soil his pants.
A fellow Jack fan I see :lawbepo:

I know that line of his but then please say more, develop your philosophy. I feel like he couldve explored his philosophy of might makes right some more. He couldve explored why he seemed to distrust humans and pirates. Why he choose to come to Wano,etc,etc.
I feel like Kaido and Orochi should have become one character: Kurozumi Kaido.

Even before he was born, his race (Oni race) had long been a persecuted minority in Wano. Kaido's parents, though, always tried to lift his spirits. They told many stories to him, including of a weapon once kept by the Onis in Wano: Pluton. More importantly, they told him that even Onis like them deserve to have a dream and be happy.

During a power struggle between some corrupt lords in Wano for the position of Shogun, the Oni race was scapegoated after an important figure was murdered and then the Oni race was massacred by the Wanonese. Kaido's parents died protecting him, but not before sending him off to the seas. Due to his physical toughness, he was carried out of Wano until he landed far away.

This is where he started a career as a criminal and then a mercenary, until he met Xebec during a mission and was drawn to Xebec's dream as the King of the World. Xebec took him in and became a father figure for him, which reminded him of his parents. He began viewing might to be the thing that makes right, and it is only the strong that can shape the world. This is where he heard about Joyboy etc.

However, Xebec died in God's Valley and Kaido got captured by the WG despite eating the Uo Uo. Jailed in PH as a lab rat, he became increasingly disillusioned with humanity since the WG kept repeating the mantra that freaks like him is only fit for hell, not the world.

This is also where he met and befriended King. They bonded over being the last of their race. Having had his life trampled and his dream crushed many times over, Kaido began believing that the only salvation for this world is ots destruction. This is how he started seeing Joyboy, the Savior of the World, as his final obstacle. He then broke out of PH with King and they started BP.

Years after he became a Yonko, he returned to Wano with the intent of acquiring Pluton to use it to destroy the world. But Wano is now at peace under the leadership of Oden, a former member of both JRP and WBP.

Kaido then cooked up a plan ala Crocodile by having Queen create a virus that would infect most Wano citizens who aren't Oden, his family and his retainers. His chaos agent then sowed distrust among the populace and led them to falsely accuse the Shogunate to be hoarding all of the medicine (since Oden and his family + friends are unaffected).

Oden spent 5 years going around the country trying to cure his people, but got lashed out instead. Kaido, meanwhile, took his crew to Wano and started giving out antidote to anybody who joins his crew or rises against Oden. Secretly, he gave the newer recruits an actual antidote and the supporters-but-not-recruits a temporary antidote. This is how Kaido strengthened his army for 5 years.

After enough of the populace had it Oden's desperate tries to help, Kaido revealed himself to be the savior of Wano. We then got Oden vs Kaido where Kaido won fair and square.

In Oden's execution, Kaido revealed everything before killing off Oden, proclaiming that this is his revenge for Wano who made him alone in the world. Now many Wanonese have to keep returning to him if they want to keep getting the antidote, while his new recruits have burned all their bridges.

Kaido then made Onigashima his base like in the story. He made King the ruler of the Capital and nearly all of the Wano island but Udon, which was bequathed to Queen for R&D purposes. Jack functioned as their errand boy like in the story.

He started gaining more info about Pluton so he can unlock it and use it to destroy the world. He found out that Pluton is under the sea and had Jack go there, but it is buried underneath the island itself and Jack couldn't do it because his strength was not enough.

Kaido then contacted Doffy and Caesar to create Smiles, which will grant its user a partial DF power while still being able to swim for a limited amount of time. Kaido calculated that he needed at least 500 functioning smile users to give Jack a hand. His wrath against Luffy came to be because taking down Doffy and Caesar means Kaido's dream of acquiring Pluton is halted indefinitely.

This is how Beast Pirates vs Straw Hat Pirates began. :pepehawk:

@MonsterKaido Did I do it better than Lolda?

Because he's still a character, he has a backstory and motivations, but they're not as complicated as others and that's okay.
His backstory is nothing, we dont know why he chose Wano. We dont know why he is suicidal, we dont know what his issue with pirates is. Everything we know about is is very surface level shit that is never further explored.
Jack played his role well :cheers:
And so you want Kaido to be another Jack?

His backstory is nothing, we dont know why he chose Wano. We dont know why he is suicidal, we dont know what his issue with pirates is. Everything we know about is is very surface level shit that is never further explored.

I don't, Jack was just a henchman, The Dukes getting revenge was basically his whole purpose .

I feel like Kaido and Orochi should have become one character: Kurozumi Kaido.

Even before he was born, his race (Oni race) had long been a persecuted minority in Wano. Kaido's parents, though, always tried to lift his spirits. They told many stories to him, including of a weapon once kept by the Onis in Wano: Pluton. More importantly, they told him that even Onis like them deserve to have a dream and be happy.

During a power struggle between some corrupt lords in Wano for the position of Shogun, the Oni race was scapegoated after an important figure was murdered and then the Oni race was massacred by the Wanonese. Kaido's parents died protecting him, but not before sending him off to the seas. Due to his physical toughness, he was carried out of Wano until he landed far away.

This is where he started a career as a criminal and then a mercenary, until he met Xebec during a mission and was drawn to Xebec's dream as the King of the World. Xebec took him in and became a father figure for him, which reminded him of his parents. He began viewing might to be the thing that makes right, and it is only the strong that can shape the world. This is where he heard about Joyboy etc.

However, Xebec died in God's Valley and Kaido got captured by the WG despite eating the Uo Uo. Jailed in PH as a lab rat, he became increasingly disillusioned with humanity since the WG kept repeating the mantra that freaks like him is only fit for hell, not the world.

This is also where he met and befriended King. They bonded over being the last of their race. Having had his life trampled and his dream crushed many times over, Kaido began believing that the only salvation for this world is ots destruction. This is how he started seeing Joyboy, the Savior of the World, as his final obstacle. He then broke out of PH with King and they started BP.

Years after he became a Yonko, he returned to Wano with the intent of acquiring Pluton to use it to destroy the world. But Wano is now at peace under the leadership of Oden, a former member of both JRP and WBP.

Kaido then cooked up a plan ala Crocodile by having Queen create a virus that would infect most Wano citizens who aren't Oden, his family and his retainers. His chaos agent then sowed distrust among the populace and led them to falsely accuse the Shogunate to be hoarding all of the medicine (since Oden and his family + friends are unaffected).

Oden spent 5 years going around the country trying to cure his people, but got lashed out instead. Kaido, meanwhile, took his crew to Wano and started giving out antidote to anybody who joins his crew or rises against Oden. Secretly, he gave the newer recruits an actual antidote and the supporters-but-not-recruits a temporary antidote. This is how Kaido strengthened his army for 5 years.

After enough of the populace had it Oden's desperate tries to help, Kaido revealed himself to be the savior of Wano. We then got Oden vs Kaido where Kaido won fair and square.

In Oden's execution, Kaido revealed everything before killing off Oden, proclaiming that this is his revenge for Wano who made him alone in the world. Now many Wanonese have to keep returning to him if they want to keep getting the antidote, while his new recruits have burned all their bridges.

Kaido then made Onigashima his base like in the story. He made King the ruler of the Capital and nearly all of the Wano island but Udon, which was bequathed to Queen for R&D purposes. Jack functioned as their errand boy like in the story.

He started gaining more info about Pluton so he can unlock it and use it to destroy the world. He found out that Pluton is under the sea and had Jack go there, but it is buried underneath the island itself and Jack couldn't do it because his strength was not enough.

Kaido then contacted Doffy and Caesar to create Smiles, which will grant its user a partial DF power while still being able to swim for a limited amount of time. Kaido calculated that he needed at least 500 functioning smile users to give Jack a hand. His wrath against Luffy came to be because taking down Doffy and Caesar means Kaido's dream of acquiring Pluton is halted indefinitely.

This is how Beast Pirates vs Straw Hat Pirates began. :pepehawk:

@MonsterKaido Did I do it better than Lolda?
The bolded part is exactly how I would have written Kaido's back story. I would also add a joy boy element where initially Kaido thought himself as a joyboy but couldn't protect someone close to him like his wife and then started hating on joyboy concept.

Then why hint at all those deep themes of betrayal, lonelyness at the top, suicide,etc If he wasnt supposed to be a deep character?
I have no problem if some people still like Kaido as a character, however making excuses for the way Oda wrote his character is nothing but massive cope.

That's like me trying to make excuses for the way Oda treated Big Mom as a joke.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
The bolded part is exactly how I would have written Kaido's back story. I would also add a joy boy element where initially Kaido thought himself as a joyboy but couldn't protect someone close to him like his wife and then started hating on joyboy concept.
That's exactly what he was set up to be. Oda just didn't realize those themes. Also, needed to tie in his journey with Rocks, how it shaped his current traits, and how it tied to the Joy Boy Wano prophecy 20 years into the future. Oh well, I still enjoyed a lot of his scenes, and his fights were fucking bonkers, but definitely botched characterization.

His whole life was war, that's all he ever knew and so he came to the conclusion that being the most powerful=success in life which is a completely logical thing to do of you're in his position, he tried to make the best crew possible, acquire the best possible alliances and get the best possible stronghold, everything he did was an attempt to gain more power and yet when he became the most powerful he also became depressed, that's why his ultimate goal was to cause a great war which would finally give him joy again. It's a somewhat simple story, but fits great with a juggernaut type character.

But isnt that what youre saying Kaido is and are fine about hime being?

This panel>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kaido's flashback.
No, and I prefer Kuma's backstory as well, it's one of the best backstories in One Piece, but a backstory like that wouldn't fit for a character like Kaido.
Post automatically merged:

Big Mom is still like my favorite female character in OP but I'm keeping quiet cause I don't wanna get jumped lol
No shame in that, I think Big Mom as a character is straight fire.

Last edited:
What sucks about Kaido's flashback is that it really felt like Oda was setting up his backstory to be great, and everyone was waiting patiently to see it.

Imagine waiting so long to see Kaido's flashback especially after seeing Big Mom's flashback, and then we finally get it and it only ends up being four pages of nothing.

Instead of getting a really good and solid Kaido flashback, all we got was a big fuck you from Oda.