Character Discussion Fuck Kaido as a character

I feel Oda rushed the wano ending . Keeping Yamato , Momonusuke back at Wano means he will comeback .

There are many lose ends with Kaido especially with Rock’s plotline and Oni race .

1. Why did Kaido destroy Science lab in Punk Hazard ? How did he know about King was there in that lab ?

2. When did World govt came in contact with Kaido ?

3. Why did Kaido think himself as Joyboy ??

It’s actually glorious to see the Wano fall off on Reddit. Not just the main sub, but even the MemePiece one also fell out of love with it.

I remember people actually claiming it was the best arc while it was ongoing. Fast forward a year later and very few still have it as their top arc. They’re more willing to criticize, and you see it becoming prevalent that Egghead is better.

Wano was always propped up by what people wanted it to be. The reality has just led to disappointment for a lot of them instead.
Yep from One Piece redditors to One Piece Youtubers, more and more are criticizing the Wano arc.

Even someone like Tekking101 knows how bad Kaido's flashback was.

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
He's a trash character with a trash backstory and a trash personality.

The only thing good about him is his design and fighting style.

The rest can go to the garbage bin.

Oda did him supremely dirty with that piece of shit flashback he has gotten.

I had immense expectations for his character but I was left majorly disappointed, heck he wasnt even the main character of his own arc we barely fucking saw him until Onigashima.

Fuck Kaido and fuck Oda.
Don't think flashback was needed to flesh Kaido.

Oda simply didn't deliver as per the hype he created.

Kaido was a monster freak and that's all there is to his character.

Kaido's character portrayal was inconsistent.

His fighting style was inconsistent

Oda could have explained his motivations when he was fighting Luffy but he didn't care to.

One can ignore all of these if they only care about power but one can't deny oda didn't deliver on Kaido when he gave so much panel time to Oden and scabbards and considering Kaido was first major bad villain who went down to SHs.

Kaido had a lot of interesting things about him that Oda dropped the ball on massively.

Villains’s don’t actually need backstories. Most of the pre-skip villains don’t have one. There‘s talk about Crocodile- Crocodile‘s goal in Alabasta pretty simple, he wants power and that’s it. There’s hints of a betrayal in his past since he doesn’t trust anyone, but it’s only that, hints. And it could just as easily not be a hint of anything and that Croc just doesn’t trust anyone. The concrete things about Croc’s background (defeat to Whitebeard, hostory with Ivankov) only came up after Alabasta.

Problem with Kaido was that Oda set up things about him that did need explaining, and didn’t bother to do it. Mainly, his whole fascination with having a good death, and the effect being a Rocks Pirate had on him (this whole pirate betrayal thing that has been said throughout the series seems to stem from the Rocks Pirates).

We might well find out the answers to these things, but it will come far too late for Kaido.

Definitely. He says Wano is special but we never find out why, unless it's solely special because it's a natural fortress. Which is a bit boring IMO.
Cause Pluton’s there.

Joyboy shit is one of the worst things to happen in one piece. And kaido is smack dab in the middle of it. He's literally the number 1 joyboy fanboy.

That detracts a lot from kaido.

And not having any motives beyond "joyboy senpai pls kill me" And also not having a proper flashback makes it all the more worse.

Well I always said Kaido was just a giant DPS check, I think I've been right on this.

However as far as DPS checks go, he was definitely the best man for the job in the story. He's nothing but power and alpha energy, and always has been. Would have been a shame to have Luffy beat Whitebeard or Big Mom (2 other major DPS checks) to get ahead to yonko tier, because they have/had more interesting things to offer to the story. And none of the admirals had the same presence or power level so it wouldn't have worked with them either.

Didn't like Wano, but it was necessary for Luffy to beat someone like Kaido.

Joyboy shit is one of the worst things to happen in one piece. And kaido is smack dab in the middle of it. He's literally the number 1 joyboy fanboy.

That detracts a lot from kaido.

And not having any motives beyond "joyboy senpai pls kill me" And also not having a proper flashback makes it all the more worse.
Luffy shouldn’t have been Joyboy , I wish it was Momo or Dragon . The chosen One stuff ruins stuff it happened in Naruto , it’s same in One piece .

Only OP fans think a well written character needs to have a sad backstory for some reason
@Fujishiro Gaimou from Kingdom is what Kaido could‘ve been, Hara really only needed a couple chapters to explain Gaimou‘s philosophy as a warrior who relies on brute force, and a general who sees the battlefield as a place to satisfy one’s primal desires

Oda just doesn’t care lol
Gyou’Un bullies Gaimou

I agree.
Kaido, being a villain around who a whole saga was set up, should have had the character depth to back it up.

If we are to be generous to Oda, let's say Kaido's importance to the stlry only started with his introduction. An epic intro by anyone's standards, only overshadowed by the anime adaptation of that same scene.

From that point onwards, more questions than answers were raised in regards to Kaido.

I saw @TheAncientCenturion mention it, and he was right - the brief Yamato skirmish added more layers to Kaido's character than anything prior to it. And it arguably says more about him than his flashback.

Which is another point - not all characters need a flashback to be all timers. However, characters who's past is constantly brought up and teased, and who's goals are directly tied to events from their past, need a quality flashback focused on those events.

I still like Kaido, but my liking is heavily carried by his amazing intro and design. The rest is wishy washy

Big Mom's backstory and her character honestly blow Kaido's out of the water. I wanted him to be good till the very end so badly.
Yeah despite Big Mom being treated like a joke, she was far more interesting as a character than Kaido and also had a way better backstory.
Kaido and linlin are quite opposites poles in what refers to characterization and power level kaido was a beast and currently the strongest villain the mc fought and I don't think we will find another strongest villain than him I even doubt of kurohige and imu but his characterization was inexistence and poor linlin quite the opposite her characterization and depht specially in her arc was pretty good but in powerlevel she was treated as a laughingstock more when we talk about an emperor of the sea

I remmember Oda fans saying he gave him a short flashback because he wanted to finish the manga within 5 years now look what we have a long Kuma flashback
:milaugh:

Anyway I like Kaido as a character and I hope we see the Rocks pirates soon

I think as a Kaido fan you're better off not seeing it. Kaido's role is over as is his portrayal while Shanks is still being gassed.

Oda will just make Shanks shit on Kaido
I've been sold on Shanks being the strongest of the 4 emperors for a long time. I didn't care much about him as I've always been an Admiral stan (and BB stan) but at this point I'll go even further: I wouldn't be surprised if he is the strongest character in this verse, Imu perhaps excluded.

Now, I don't think so but it's clear that Oda will wank him to the high heavens. He comes off as the poster boy. When Shanks eventually goes down, he'll make it all glorious and he'll have an absolutely crazy amount of ludicrous feats.

Damn, this is the first OP comment I've made in a long time. Back to the Kingdom section lol.