Character Discussion Fuck Kaido as a character

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
But tbh I feel Kaido actually being some sad boy or 9th level intellect ruins his character on a fundamental level.
What character? There’s nothing with Kaido to ruin in the first place lol. Kaido’s personality goes from one extreme to its polar opposite in a matter of seconds. He has no character whatsoever.

Kaido is strength personified
Kaido is “strength personified,” yet:

-He visibly shits himself at the idea of any sort of combat. He was yelling at his crew to shoot Big Mom off of the waterfall because he was terrified of fighting a war against her. Then five seconds later he’s saying that he wants to fight all Yonko and the WG? He also visibly shits himself at the idea of fighting Oden’s scabbards. Again while stating he wants to fight the entire world. Is this guy retarded or what? Does he know how much harder it will be to fight the entire world than it will be just to fight nine part-time samurai?

-Kaido screams in terror at the idea of experiencing even minor pain. When the scabbards were giving him paper cuts, he was screaming in agony. When Raizo burned him with his own fire, he screamed in agony. “Strength personified,” yet he has the pain tolerance of a two year old stubbing their toe on the playground lol.

He did not jump off that Sky Island genuinely believing it had a shot to kill him, he thought that maybe if he nerfed himself the shitters below could give him a good fight.
Bro straight up PTSD’d the actual plot around Kaido wanting to kill himself and pulled this shit straight from his ass lol. Probably because Oda himself didn’t even know what to do with Kaido’s suicide hobby.

Oda: “Hey you know what would be cool? If Kaido wanted to kill himself! Wouldn’t that be cool?”

Editors: “Yeah that would be awesome! So why doesn’t Kaido jump into the ocean? Or eat two Devil fruits?”

Oda: “…”

Editors: “…”

Oda: “Well if I just never bring it up again then I’m sure weebs online will try to make up some bullshit about Kaido never wanting to die. Should be fine.”

Kaido is the definition of inconsistent nonsensical dogshit. And no, he is not even remotely cool. He’s a screaming pussy who can’t mentally process the most minuscule amounts of pain.

Last edited:
A lot if miss opportunity to explain more about Kaido and Oda screw up big time.

Forgotten plot lines
  1. His suicidal tendency, why did he start them and why he didn't go after the big names like Garp, Sengoku,Hawkeye or Rayleigh?
  2. Who betrayed him? Why did Kaido said that?
  3. His wife or partner. Kaido at least love Yamato to some sort of degree to keep her alive and trained her.
  4. Who were the 7 who defeated him?
  5. How did he expanded his crew, meeting up with Jack, Page one and Ulti and so on..

What character? There’s nothing with Kaido to ruin in the first place lol. Kaido’s personality goes from one extreme to its polar opposite in a matter of seconds. He has no character whatsoever.

Kaido is “strength personified,” yet:

-He visibly shits himself at the idea of any sort of combat. He was yelling at his crew to shoot Big Mom off of the waterfall because he was terrified of fighting a war against her. Then five seconds later he’s saying that he wants to fight all Yonko and the WG? He also visibly shits himself at the idea of fighting Oden’s scabbards. Again while stating he wants to fight the entire world. Is this guy retarded or what? Does he know how much harder it will be to fight the entire world than it will be just to fight nine part-time samurai?

-Kaido screams in terror at the idea of experiencing even minor pain. When the scabbards were giving him paper cuts, he was screaming in agony. When Raizo burned him with his own fire, he screamed in agony. “Strength personified,” yet he has the pain tolerance of a two year old stubbing their toe on the playground lol.

Bro straight up PTSD’d the actual plot around Kaido wanting to kill himself and pulled this shit straight from his ass lol. Probably because Oda himself didn’t even know what to do with Kaido’s suicide hobby.

Oda: “Hey you know what would be cool? If Kaido wanted to kill himself! Wouldn’t that be cool?”

Editors: “Yeah that would be awesome! So why doesn’t Kaido jump into the ocean? Or eat two Devil fruits?”

Oda: “…”

Editor: “…”

Oda: “Well if I just never bring it up again then I’m sure weebs online will try to make up some bullshit about Kaido never wanting to die. Should be fine.”

Kaido is the definition of inconsistent nonsensical dogshit. And no, he is not even remotely cool. He’s a screaming pussy who can’t mentally process the most minuscule amounts of pain.
This is 100% pure agenda speaking. Kaido believes in pirate fights just like Luffy does, but dislikes handing out low blows.

I know Wano characters got on our nerves and all that, but they did real damage to Kaido and he felt that. He screams in pain because their ryou was strong enough to harm him because Oda has to wank not!Japans samurai representation. He still folded them straight afterwards and ran the rest of the gauntlet just fine.

And you're being dishonest too, because you know damn well Kaido didnt want to die some lame death. Kaido shrugged off that "suicide attempt" and has it as a hobby because its straight up Kaido being an adrenaline junky.

That or you forgot he had plans to wipe out Kidds alliance because that was the plan he made with the scratchman. Meaning he knew he would survive and probably have enough in the tank to beat them all.
Post automatically merged:

Also he made it very clear that he was amassing an army to "bring down those arrogant nobles". Which means his original plan was to rampage against the WG for a glorious death. Luffy oc fucked his plan up.

Another thing I see folk go on about is how Kaido is so strong, about his might makes right viewpoint and how this all makes him "intimidating". Intimidation factor is indeed meant to be a large part of Kaido's character. The bloke's entire design emphasises this from his huge size, to his bulging muscles, his numerous scars, his brutish weapon etc. Everything about this guy is meant to emphasise war and battle lust.

Problem is, Kaido's intimidation factor is regularly undermined by the inconsistency of his personality and the undermining of his physical presence.

First of all, there is no consistency in his personality. This man swings wildly from "I want to jump from a sky island just to die..." to "I must die in glorious battle!". He goes from supposed desire for war to openly declaring that Linlin can't be allowed to reach Wano and being happy that King cheap shotted her entire crew into the water. He laments a lack of fights but has permanent PTSD from any time anyone beat him. The man has no consistency in how much of a blood knight he is supposed to be. He loves fights until he suddenly doesn't, usually when someone poses a threat. Prime example is Oden nearly killing him, Kaido cheap shotting him, Kaido getting pissed about cheap shotting him and then forever having Post Traumatic Samurai Delusions for the next 20 years. I can't take Kaido seriously as a blood knight character if he keeps getting shown to hate serious fights that he only wins by external interferences.

It is also hard to take Kaido as this uber macho maniac when he is constantly screaming in agony from what should be paper cuts to somebody like him. Doffy made less noise getting his internal organs shredded by Gamma Knife than Kaido did recieving some sword slashes from the Scabbards. Kaido is probably one of the most vocal major arc antagonists when it comes to pain tolerance. Lol.

It is also difficult to take Kaido seriously as this "strength beyond strength" brute when feckin nobody he fights on-screen stays down. The Scabbards have a fight with him, cause him to scream bloody blue murder, get defeated and get back up to defeat numerous other enemies. Seriously? To add insult to injury, feckin Kanjuro, a third rate arc antagonist, ends up having a higher kill count than Kaido. Random forgettable CP9 bloke gets to kill a good guy too. Not Kaido though, Kaido gets nothing in his own arc.

His physical presence is even diluted by the fact that he is having to share his role as major arc antagonist with two other characters, Orochi and Linlin. So Kaido isn't even the arc antagonist, he is one of three with the only saving grace for him being that those two are about the only major arc antagonists that are worse than he is.

All this combines to make Kaido look more like an overgrown, cowardly, gutless bully with a plastic spine than the glorious, foe seeking, blood knight warrior he was supposed to be which utterly sucks for a 10+ years hyped Yonko character.

Another thing I see folk go on about is how Kaido is so strong, about his might makes right viewpoint and how this all makes him "intimidating". Intimidation factor is indeed meant to be a large part of Kaido's character. The bloke's entire design emphasises this from his huge size, to his bulging muscles, his numerous scars, his brutish weapon etc. Everything about this guy is meant to emphasise war and battle lust.

Problem is, Kaido's intimidation factor is regularly undermined by the inconsistency of his personality and the undermining of his physical presence.

First of all, there is no consistency in his personality. This man swings wildly from "I want to jump from a sky island just to die..." to "I must die in glorious battle!". He goes from supposed desire for war to openly declaring that Linlin can't be allowed to reach Wano and being happy that King cheap shotted her entire crew into the water. He laments a lack of fights but has permanent PTSD from any time anyone beat him. The man has no consistency in how much of a blood knight he is supposed to be. He loves fights until he suddenly doesn't, usually when someone poses a threat. Prime example is Oden nearly killing him, Kaido cheap shotting him, Kaido getting pissed about cheap shotting him and then forever having Post Traumatic Samurai Delusions for the next 20 years. I can't take Kaido seriously as a blood knight character if he keeps getting shown to hate serious fights that he only wins by external interferences.

It is also hard to take Kaido as this uber macho maniac when he is constantly screaming in agony from what should be paper cuts to somebody like him. Doffy made less noise getting his internal organs shredded by Gamma Knife than Kaido did recieving some sword slashes from the Scabbards. Kaido is probably one of the most vocal major arc antagonists when it comes to pain tolerance. Lol.

It is also difficult to take Kaido seriously as this "strength beyond strength" brute when feckin nobody he fights on-screen stays down. The Scabbards have a fight with him, cause him to scream bloody blue murder, get defeated and get back up to defeat numerous other enemies. Seriously? To add insult to injury, feckin Kanjuro, a third rate arc antagonist, ends up having a higher kill count than Kaido. Random forgettable CP9 bloke gets to kill a good guy too. Not Kaido though, Kaido gets nothing in his own arc.

His physical presence is even diluted by the fact that he is having to share his role as major arc antagonist with two other characters, Orochi and Linlin. So Kaido isn't even the arc antagonist, he is one of three with the only saving grace for him being that those two are about the only major arc antagonists that are worse than he is.

All this combines to make Kaido look more like an overgrown, cowardly, gutless bully with a plastic spine than the glorious, foe seeking, blood knight warrior he was supposed to be which utterly sucks for a 10+ years hyped Yonko character.
Kaido wasnt a sad boy seriously trying to kill himself. He had intentions to fight the alliance he landed on.

We scream scaling now? Really? Kaido took multiple named aCoA attacks in a row and reacts to the pain because they hurt. His strength shows in *continuing to dominate the fight* despite taking such blows. Those attacks were more than paper cuts unless you push the agenda that Luffy was the only person to do real damage to Kaido.

Kaido was the arc antagonist, and the general complaint about Big Mom is that she got shafted. Multiple times it was implied their 3 day bout was similar to Roger/Whitebeards in terms of seriousness. They even drank together like they did.

There was still clear portrayal thay out of Kaido and Big Mom, Kaido was the biggest threat by far. Kaido isn't trying to die to just anyone he wants to die in a glorious battle that shakes the world. 3v1ing admirals while cool looking, it isnt big enough for Kaido he wanted to drag everyone else into it too. Not to mention the only people he believed could fight at his level are dead or retired.

Kaido again believes in no rules fights, but just like Luffy kept fighting Katakuri after he nerfed himself, he finishes the fights he starts.

Though I entirely agree Kaido should have killed more scabbards, it would add a lot to the arc if he had. Somewhat deflates his brutal nature for sure. And some of your criticisms like big mom and orochi diluting the threat he posed are more criticisms about Wano as an arc rather than Kaido as a character.

And to be clear, I think Wano as a whole was an unfocused clusterfuck that has worse pacing than Dressrosa.

Kaido wasnt a sad boy seriously trying to kill himself.
"Oh no, I survived again..."

Sure. Lol.
We scream scaling now? Really? Kaido took multiple named aCoA attacks in a row and reacts to the pain because they hurt. His strength shows in *continuing to dominate the fight* despite taking such blows. Those attacks were more than paper cuts unless you push the agenda that Luffy was the only person to do real damage to Kaido.
Mate, Doffy complained less about getting his internal organs shredded. Multiple Sky Island characters complained less about getting lit up like a Christmas tree by multi million volt lightning blasts. Old Whitebeard, who Kaido should be physically above, got part of his head blasted off and his internal organs cooked by magma without a peep. Ace didn't scream when he got gut fucked by Akainu and you're telling me that I should take Kaido 100% seriously as the embodiment of physically intimidation when he is screaming like Wapol after some minor sword slashes?

No. Lol. In fact, comparing him to Wapol is actually somewhat unfair to the latter since Wapol was at least screaming over things like getting decapitated. Kaido is screaming over paper cuts being dished out by peons 2-3 grades below his level. Lel.
Kaido was the arc antagonist, and the general complaint about Big Mom is that she got shafted. Multiple times it was implied their 3 day bout was similar to Roger/Whitebeards in terms of seriousness. They even drank together like they did.
Yes they were both shafted because they (along with Orochi) were all competing for screen time, hence the mere presence of one ended up diluting the other two. Oda's mismanagement resulted in us being subjected to three underwhelming, middling major arc antagonists. Kaido should have been the only major arc antagonist for Wano.
There was still clear portrayal thay out of Kaido and Big Mom, Kaido was the biggest threat by far. Kaido isn't trying to die to just anyone he wants to die in a glorious battle that shakes the world. 3v1ing admirals while cool looking, it isnt big enough for Kaido he wanted to drag everyone else into it too. Not to mention the only people he believed could fight at his level are dead or retired.
Kaido isn't wanting a random death? That is why he jumps off of Sky Islands with the potential to flat out drown to death? What a genius he is. :watchout:

Dang, the world sure is just missing people Oden level and above. :josad:
Kaido again believes in no rules fights, but just like Luffy kept fighting Katakuri after he nerfed himself, he finishes the fights he starts.
Funnily enough, that just makes him more like Crocodile and Doffy, minus the charisma, intelligence and legitimate dread factor.

The problem with Kaido's dirty fighting is that unlike Croc or Doffy, he isn't creating his own advantages. Somebody completely outside of his expectations is. So it isn't even a showcase of Kaido's cunning, it just shows that he needed somebody else to interfere on his behalf. Even worse, is that he acts all whiny about the interference despite having no problem taking advantage of it which makes him look doubly pathetic.

If the author is going to make somebody a dirty fighter then lean into it entirely. Don't make them half dirty just so they can gripe about doing the thing they just did.
Though I entirely agree Kaido should have killed more scabbards, it would add a lot to the arc if he had. Somewhat deflates his brutal nature for sure. And some of your criticisms like big mom and orochi diluting the threat he posed are more criticisms about Wano as an arc rather than Kaido as a character.
The writing of the arc and the writing of Kaido are directly connected. Mismanagement of the arc resulted in Kaido being watered down and rushed. Kaido being watered down and rushed resulted in the arc being even worse. I can't separate them when they are correlated with each other. Lol.
And to be clear, I think Wano as a whole was an unfocused clusterfuck that has worse pacing than Dressrosa.
Wano was indeed utterly abysmal. Dressrosa had some miserably sluggish pacing as well, though not as bad as Wano's atrocious pacing. Unlike Wano though, at least Dressrosa had a decent antagonist to help salvage it. Wano doesn't have that. :pepedoffy:

Look man if you cant even remember that falling off the Sky Island was a plan he made up with Scratchman Apoo to dunk on their alliance you have 0 hope of understanding this manga for 10 year olds.

Everything your saying comes from a place of such predecided hatred of his character that you unironically put him on the same level as Wapol.

Delusional and 1000% Agenda driven there. Have a fun thread yelling about how Kaido wasnt some depressed loser (who somehow has conquerors haki lmao).

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
Look man if you cant even remember that falling off the Sky Island was a plan he made up with Scratchman Apoo to dunk on their alliance you have 0 hope of understanding this manga for 10 year olds.

Everything your saying comes from a place of such predecided hatred of his character that you unironically put him on the same level as Wapol.

Delusional and 1000% Agenda driven there. Have a fun thread yelling about how Kaido wasnt some depressed loser (who somehow has conquerors haki lmao).
There was absolutely no need for Kaido to jump from 10000 ft just to live upto the plan with an amateur pirate Apoo to dunk on an amateur alliance.

Narration was clear - "The man claimed (Kaido) that he was searching for a place to die" and that place he picked was to jump from sky island and not some glorious battle

Narration - his hobby is suicide

"He was looking for a place to die."

"Finally he attempted suicide."

"Nobody was able to kill him including himself."

"His hobby is suicide."
Hmm. :risicheck:
Show me some panels of other serious major arc antagonists (let alone serious major saga antagonists) screaming about some light surface level wounds. Wapol was the only one that came immediately to my mind and he comparatively complained less about being straight up decapitated than Kaido did about some skin deep cuts.
If Kaido is meant to be portrayed as a blood lusting, physical juggernaut that represents peak strength then he should have:
a) Flat out not noticed those injuries or only given a mere slight grunt in acknowledgement of the injury.
b) Been morbidly curious that he found someone that could draw blood from him.
c) Been giddy with delight that someone actually managed to hurt him only to then be disappointed that they went down too quickly for his liking.
d) Make him irritated that some unworthy insect scarred him, then he goes full curb stomp mode.

Instead, Oda has him screaming hysterically like his nuts got caught in a wood chipper. This doesn't make the Scabbards look good, it just makes Kaido look bad when there are dozens of characters that took far worse hits for their power level without screaming about it.

I was expecting a villain with at least Old Whitebeard levels of pain tolerance. That is not what was shown. Whitebeard at his weakest can casually shrug off pieces of his body being vaporised. Kaido yells uncontrollably over some light slashes that won't even scar him. This guy is more Caesar Clown than Whitebeard. :shame:

10+ years of hype just to get a wailing banshee that hates actually fighting. My dislike of this character was not pre-decided, it was made after seeing what an underwhelming disappointment Kaido was. Lol.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
"He was looking for a place to die."

"Finally he attempted suicide."

"Nobody was able to kill him including himself."

"His hobby is suicide."
Hmm. :risicheck:

Show me some panels of other serious major arc antagonists (let alone serious major saga antagonists) screaming about some light surface level wounds. Wapol was the only one that came immediately to my mind and he comparatively complained less about being straight up decapitated than Kaido did about some skin deep cuts.

If Kaido is meant to be portrayed as a blood lusting, physical juggernaut that represents peak strength then he should have:
a) Flat out not noticed those injuries or only given a mere slight grunt in acknowledgement of the injury.
b) Been morbidly curious that he found someone that could draw blood from him.
c) Been giddy with delight that someone actually managed to hurt him only to then be disappointed that they went down too quickly for his liking.
d) Make him irritated that some unworthy insect scarred him, then he goes full curb stomp mode.

Instead, Oda has him screaming hysterically like his nuts got caught in a wood chipper. This doesn't make the Scabbards look good, it just makes Kaido look bad when there are dozens of characters that took far worse hits for their power level without screaming about it.

I was expecting a villain with at least Old Whitebeard levels of pain tolerance. That is not what was shown. Whitebeard at his weakest can casually shrug off pieces of his body being vaporised. Kaido yells uncontrollably over some light slashes that won't even scar him. This guy is more Caesar Clown than Whitebeard. :shame:

10+ years of hype just to get a wailing banshee that hates actually fighting. My dislike of this character was not pre-decided, it was made after seeing what an underwhelming disappointment Kaido was. Lol.
Everything about kaido was a lie.

Tried to commit suicide.
No he didnt he knew kidd was below it was a set up from apoo

Fought yonko and admirals
No he didnt he didn't see any yonko since he left rox when he was a kid until he saw shanks
And all the captured and sentenced to death was him as a kid raiding navy ships for food

Wants to die loves a fight
Nope, kod oden after being saved from death from old had never once tried to rematch oden in a fair fight

He's a trash character with a trash backstory and a trash personality.

The only thing good about him is his design and fighting style.

The rest can go to the garbage bin.

Oda did him supremely dirty with that piece of shit flashback he has gotten.

I had immense expectations for his character but I was left majorly disappointed, heck he wasnt even the main character of his own arc we barely fucking saw him until Onigashima.

Fuck Kaido and fuck Oda.
Eeeeehhhhmmmm
I agree with you, but I'm not mad on Oda. Kaido was introduced as drunkman who loves fights and there is no depths in his character - he is just a drunk man.

Then why hint at all those deep themes of betrayal, lonelyness at the top, suicide,etc If he wasnt supposed to be a deep character?
The reason for the lack of backstory because it's largely tied to Rocks Pirates after fleeing from his hometown. We're going to see more of him in Xebec's arc showing his motives and what got him depressed.

Last edited: