Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters
Uh-huh, about the potential. To join the crew :suresure: Idk about you if you genuinely gave up on Carrot or not but Yamato fans are definitely still on hopium lol.
If we look at Carrot's story, all her journey is screaming "My story is not finished yet".. But there is very little time left, so this impression might just be a residual of a huge mistake from Oda. So I'm just hoping to see her again.. if we don't well, it could be the end of her story and if we do, it might be because she will join at the very end.

I do not expect for anything, I'm just letting the story carry me now.

KonyaruIchi

👑𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓟𝓲𝓻𝓪𝓽𝓮 𝓠𝓾𝓮𝓮𝓷👑
Oh my god you guys again with the Carrot and Yamoto shite. Vivi please come save us. :catcry: Or Law, actually. Folks are sleeping on him and I think they shouldn't. He is not a captain anymore and doesn't have a crew, and still denies that Luffy is his friend which gives a room to development in that direction.:catsure: Remove Caribou and add Law to the poll.
Waribou is the only true candidate, but add Law because he's cool I'm okay with that :kata:

You call that a role ?
No i don't call that her role, Oda calls it her role, her role is literally to guard Wano, her role is literally being a guardian.

When I'm talking about a role. I'm talking a goda's damn role, not just having someone jump in and out of the ship for fanzies. I'm talking about a REAL ship guard.

In other words:

SOMEONE

VERY

COMPETENT

AT

THEIR

POST!!!

If you want a real ship guard, you can't just make them leave the ship. They need to be there AT ALL TIMES.

Not really, its more about the potential for future roles here.
Yes Yamato is pretty competent at her "post", as far as guardian roles she's actually the most competent person given she's stronger than 99% of the verse could go toe to toe with a former Yonko, and is effectively guarding one of the most pwoerfull countries on Earth against admiral level threats.

I'm sorry what Oda wrote for her upsets you, she is literally the strongest guardian figure in the OP verse. So yeah she can guard the ship and no it doesn't have to be constantly.

KonyaruIchi

👑𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓟𝓲𝓻𝓪𝓽𝓮 𝓠𝓾𝓮𝓮𝓷👑
No i don't call that her role, Oda calls it her role, her role is literally to guard Wano, her role is literally being a guardian.

Yes Yamato is pretty competent at her "post", as far as guardian roles she's actually the most competent person given she's stronger than 99% of the verse could go toe to toe with a former Yonko, and is effectively guarding one of the most pwoerfull countries on Earth against admiral level threats.

I'm sorry what Oda wrote for her upsets you, she is literally the strongest guardian figure in the OP verse. So yeah she can guard the ship and no it doesn't have to be constantly.
You might as well try to argue with a brick wall to move, actually you'd probably have more chances to get the brick wall to listen to reason :suresure:

I don't see why people think roles on the ship are important "criteria" in the first place. Hear me out. In terms of roles on the ship, firstly we have multiple Strawhats that don't really do anything functional for the crew or ship while sailing, and secondly we have multiple Strawhats that don't really have a role at all. Like, they have one by name, but it's not actually a role:
Cases in point:
Zoro - combatant role. AKA doesn't have a role on the ship. He doesn't even function as a vice-captain or first mate really.
Usopp - 'Sniper' role. Well, Pirate crews don't usually have snipers. He also never does it nor does has this skill ever truly been useful outside of combat situations, when everyone mucks in regardless of role.
Robin - Archaeologist role. Point out how an archaeologist is any use to a Pirate Crew? She's integral to the story, but as a Pirate she doesn't do anything pirate-y at all.
Brook - Musician. Well, technically a legit role on a Pirate Ship it's hardly important compared to things like Captain, Cook, Navigator, Helmsman and Shipwright.

Now in real life there were many other roles on a ship:
Treasurer (in charge of loot/money), Shipguard (protects the ship when docked), Lookout (maintains a post of high visibility), Scout Party (dispatched before main crew), Chief of Staff (typically 3rd in command on a ship, reports to first mate and captain), Cabin Boy (basically an intern), Flag Master (maintains, makes and repairs the flags and sails), Quarter Master (in charge of the ships interior and maintenance/chores), Boatswain (in charge of equipment acquisition and maintenance), Powder Monkey (in charge of storage of weaponry and ammunition), Cooper (in charge or inventory and stock records)

There's loads more.

Now what's my point here? Well, you can look at this and see:
Nami's effectively the treasurer
Usopp is effectively the lookout
Sanji is effectively chief of staff (if we go by the fact Zoro is meant to be but doesnt really function as the first mate)
Franky is effectively the quartermaster, boatswain and powder monkey
Both Sanji and Nami function as the ships coopers

Oda doesn't give a crap about ships roles. He only used them in early one piece to explain why the Strawhats were looking for crewmates.

Last edited:
Exactly.. because of the nature of the strawhat group. The strawhats are constructed to be the antithesis of order.

They are chaos. And this is why their ennemy is ALSO someone who wants to bring chaos. Simply because in storytelling, there is no better ennemy for a protagonist, than a character who ressembles them.

Which is normal, the crew is better and better and despite their chaotic nature, they can still work together.
"Can" does not mean that they do.

Oh but but I don't only feel that it is not needed, I KNOW that it is not needed. This knowledge comes from observing how the strawhats interacts in the story. When I say that the story doesn't need a strategist in the strawhat (it could in fact perfectly need a strategist in the opposite side), it means that if the strawhats had one, it would hurt the story.

The flow of event and plot knocks that leads to the resolution of the conflict (that we call peripeties in french, I find that word more feating narratively) are - in the case of the strawhats structured the same way the strawhats are structured:

From the outside > to the inside and in a chaotic yet extremely efficient manner.
The SHPs are not working together in an efficient manner. We sometimes have instances, where one action of a crew member gave an advantage to another member. But those are seldom. Most times the crew does not use the proficiency of their individual members to the fullest - up until now here in Egghead.

Take care - I only use the word "know" when I am 100% sure that something will happen. So, to counter your "[...] I KNOW that it is not needed.", I say that I KNOW that Rob Lucci will join the SHPs as their strategist/chief of staff.

This means that one of us needs to be wrong - and I'm sure it is not me.

This means that the fact that the strawhats are being chaotically moved in the story following a plan they constructs as they go is one of the reasons why the strawhats are the strawhats in the first place. The strawhats are the representation of order through anarchy. They are completely chaotic by nature but its this component that make them so fearless and so problematic for their ennemies in the first place.

Let's say that you add a strategist to the crew, a real one this time.
Well, you would completely obliterate the dynamic of the story and the path of the strawhats but also their interpersonal dynamic. Instead of creating a story were you have chaotic and funny character that are all working together for a common goal, you would create a story were one character leads all the other character and where there is no real chaotic nature to the group. ANd if you keep the chaotic nature, you would by essence negate the capacity for strategy of the character.

In short the chaotic nature of the strawhat and the storyand the post of a strategist are mutually exclusive. That's why you have a LOT more chances to see strategists in the ennemies's side.
That does not make a strategist as a crew member impossible. The strategist has to take into account the individual cnacks and quirks of each member and work with that - that is all.

Plus, you would need to create the NEED for a strategist in the first place and explain why the strawhat can't work together anymore.. which would negate a core element of the story.
Why would I need to explain, why the SHPs can't work together? Why are they not able to work together?

Besides, the need arose many times, as I told you and if you still want to call Jinbe stating that they need someone, who observes, not a hint towards the 11th member, you are actively ignoring Oda forshadowing the last post.
By the way, Jinbe also stated in chapter 894 "Luffy doesn't seem like the type of fellow who can calculate such tactics..." This is the second hint towards the last position on the Sunny. And Jinbe used the word "tactics" not `guide´. This excludes your previous explanation as a possibility.

The presence of a strategist in the strawhat crew is therefore not really possible.
As I said - Lucci has already strategized for the crew and just needs saving after he will be caught and sentenced to death by the WG.

No. He did the opposite. He showed that despite of their chaotic nature, the strawhats always manage to prevail.
Prevailing until now does not mean that the need for a strategist is not there. On the contrary.

Believe in Vivi, the fateful reunion is near, the sacred promise would be fulfilled, and she will reclaim what has always been hers, the last nakama place. the tenth empty seat with x mark on it.

Of Wano yes.

Yes Yamato is pretty competent at her "post", as far as guardian roles she's actually the most competent person given she's stronger than 99%
Competence for a role is not about strenght. It's about the way a character acts in front of adversity.

I'm sorry what Oda wrote for her upsets you
Not at all, I love Yamato's story.

So yeah she can guard the ship and no it doesn't have to be constantly.
No sorry, you didn't read or understood what I said if you still think so.

But I've burn my ressources to make you understand so lets agree to disagree.

I don't see why people think roles on the ship are important "criteria" in the first place. Hear me out. In terms of roles on the ship, firstly we have multiple Strawhats that don't really do anything functional for the crew or ship while sailing, and secondly we have multiple Strawhats that don't really have a role at all. Like, they have one by name, but it's not actually a role:
Cases in point:
Zoro - combatant role. AKA doesn't have a role on the ship. He doesn't even function as a vice-captain or first mate really.
Usopp - 'Sniper' role. Well, Pirate crews don't usually have snipers. He also never does it nor does has this skill ever truly been useful outside of combat situations, when everyone mucks in regardless of role.
Robin - Archaeologist role. Point out how an archaeologist is any use to a Pirate Crew? She's integral to the story, but as a Pirate she doesn't do anything pirate-y at all.
Brook - Musician. Well, technically a legit role on a Pirate Ship it's hardly important compared to things like Captain, Cook, Navigator, Helmsman and Shipwright.
A post, in One PIece is ALWAYS related to the journey on the sea. So yes, every strawhats have a role that is relevant to the common structure of a ship. Oda is just choosing to extend the post:
Zoro is not really a combattant, he is a first mate.
Usopp is a sniper, but his relation to the sea is related to shooters on boat
Robin is a archeologist. In short, she is a individual on the sea that brings knowledge. On ships during the great explorations areas, there were great explorers and intellectual who were able to understand others and were here either to take or to discover valuable ressources. Robin is playing that role.
Brook is a musician. It IS a legit role on a ship. Weither its important or not is not a question. Not all post needs to be important in theory. But for Luffy its foundamental, so foundamental in fact that he mentionned the post of musician before the rest.

Remember, posts are important in the context of the strawhats and their needs, not in the context of piratery

As for the importances of post, they are FOUNDAMENTAL. Post are literally the extention of the characterization of the strawhats. They are the results of their journey, their stories and their descisions.

Nami's effectively the treasurer
Usopp is effectively the lookout
Sanji is effectively chief of staff (if we go by the fact Zoro is meant to be but doesnt really function as the first mate)
Franky is effectively the quartermaster, boatswain and powder monkey
Both Sanji and Nami function as the ships coopers
Only because of the situations they are placed in.
Those roles are not really part - except for Nami maybe - part of their characterization.

THis is why, even if Usopp or Sanji did the look out, the person in the One Piece universe who is the fittest for the role is Carrot. Simply because this post is literally an extention of her journey, her story and her personnality. Both in base and SUlong form.

Oda doesn't give a crap about ships roles.
If you think that you really don't understand what Oda is writing at all mate.

He only used them in early one piece to explain why the Strawhats were looking for crewmates.
No. He is still doing that.

The SHPs are not working together in an efficient manner.
When all the strawhats actions leads to the defeats of the antagonists as rapidely as it happens, I consider that teamwork very effective. Even if its chaotic.

Most times the crew does not use the proficiency of their individual members to the fullest
Teamwork is not only about that. Its also the capacity to cope with chaos.

I only use the word "know" when I am 100% sure that something will happen.
Me too.

I say that I KNOW that Rob Lucci will join the SHPs as their strategist/chief of staff.
And you are wrong

:cheers:

"Can" does not mean that they do.
What the story shows is that they do. ALways. Even if its chaotic.

That does not make a strategist as a crew member impossible.
Yes it does. At least if we believe that the story of ONe Piece will not transform into something completely different. Oda is very consistant so there is no reason that it changes.

The strategist has to take into account the individual cnacks and quirks of each member and work with that - that is all.
This wouldn't change the fact that the dynamic of the story and the relationship of the crew would be forever changed. This won't happen.

Why would I need to explain, why the SHPs can't work together? Why are they not able to work together?
Because if you create a strategist now, there is absolutely NO NEEDS for them to join the strawhat as they are. The strawhats are doing well.

So, for the strawhat to integrate a strategist into their crew, you would need to put them in an horrible situation and make them completely lose there crew dynamic. Which is something that could only be resolved by a strategists..

But that would defeat the purpose and the themes of the strawhats to begin with... so it won't happen.

the need arose many times,
No. If that was the case, the strawhats would be dead or separated.

What lacked before the new world was strenght, never strategy or team work.

Jinbe stating that they need someone, who observes, not a hint towards the 11th member
Jinbe was talking about himself.

By the way, Jinbe also stated in chapter 894 "Luffy doesn't seem like the type of fellow who can calculate such tactics..."
This is the second hint towards the last position on the Sunny. And Jinbe used the word "tactics" not `guide´. This excludes your previous explanation as a possibility
896*
It only means that Luffy is chaotic and will never follow plans as they should. Which is furthering my point. Its not an hint.

As I said - Lucci has already strategized for the crew
Like nowhere... Giving an advice to Luffy or the crew is not "strategizing" lol Let's have some respect here.

I already knew it was pointless to argue
When you don't make the difference between simple characterization and targeted characterization .. yeah.. its pointless to argue.

:kayneshrug:

Yes guardian of Wano, i think you forgot the crux of the discussion was that you said she had 0 themes of being a guardian, now you're finally accepting that's just not true, since that's literally her role in the story right now

Competence for a role is not about strenght. It's about the way a character acts in front of adversity.
Competence for a being a guardian is quite literally strenght, since the threats will always be physical since this is a battle manga, and she already demonstrated that, by going against Kaido in a fight, which is a tremendous feat for a character in OP.

Under the role of a guardian figure she is literally the most competent guardian in One piece.

No sorry, you didn't read or understood what I said if you still think so.

But I've burn my ressources to make you understand so lets agree to disagree.
That's fine, but you're completly left the territory of arguments and now you're just straight up denying what Oda writes, if Oda gives a character a fruit that's refered to as a guardian diety of Wano, the name of the animal is based on a guardian diety of japanese folkore and then that character becomes effectively a guardian of Wano, then you saying she has no themes of being a guardian is just denial of reality.

That doesn't change anything... The person would still stay behind, even if she can join them rapidely.There is absolutely no reason to create such a character when all the strawhats are meant to go on the adventure.
That changes everything! What!? Especially if the new Paw Fruit user base speed is fast enough it will be as if they are in two places at once. They would experience the same adventure as the others.
Yeah cool, Kuma is not a strawhat.
Kuma has been shown guarding the Sunny. And it's been shown that Kuma being technically dead is somehow functioning. Kuma's Will is strong. This Will may transfer to the next Paw Fruit user akin to Ace's Will in Sabo. So the point is not Kuma but the next bearer of the Paw Fruit fits the bill of Ship Guard.
Look Out.
That position has not been in an introbox. The term lookout has been rarely used in One Piece IIRC.