Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any writer has the freedom to what they want right? So oda can decide when to introduce any potential strawhat. And it's not as if it's oda who declared that he ll introduce every next strawhat at the first parts of the arc. I mean he can do whatbhe wabts
Of course he can. That's beside the point however.

The point is that with every straw hat, Oda introduces them at the very beginning of the arc, or multiple arcs in advance of joining and he develops them at a decent pace alongside the arc(s). Doing this helps to make developments not feel rushed and last minute. The next straw hat is most likely the final straw hat and so Oda needs to try extra hard to make them feel integrated into the group.

Jinbe was introduced in Impel Down yet he only joined in WCI. He hasn't even had his official toast into the crew yet as that has been postponed to the end of this arc. We've known the straw hats for so long, so Oda needs to try and make the new straw hats feel like genuine parts of the crew and not just extra characters that have been added. That's why the fact that Jinbe has been with the crew on multiple journeys before he joined at least helps him to mesh into the crew naturally.

Yamato is a character introduced out of nowhere, very late into the arc with no connection to the characters or the readers and is immediately demanding to come on the ship. That's the exact opposite of what you would expect and opposed to what Oda is doing with other characters.

Look at Tama. A character introduced in the 3rd chapter of Wano, formed a relationship with Luffy, knew Ace, wanted to go out to sea with Ace and has been a recurring figure throughout the arc. Why should Luffy or us the readers care about Yamato, this random character he's just met?

Of course he can. That's beside the point however.

The point is that with every straw hat, Oda introduces them at the very beginning of the arc, or multiple arcs in advance of joining and he develops them at a decent pace alongside the arc(s). Doing this helps to make developments not feel rushed and last minute. The next straw hat is most likely the final straw hat and so Oda needs to try extra hard to make them feel integrated into the group.

Jinbe was introduced in Impel Down yet he only joined in WCI. He hasn't even had his official toast into the crew yet as that has been postponed to the end of this arc. We've known the straw hats for so long, so Oda needs to try and make the new straw hats feel like genuine parts of the crew and not just extra characters that have been added. That's why the fact that Jinbe has been with the crew on multiple journeys before he joined at least helps him to mesh into the crew naturally.

Yamato is a character introduced out of nowhere, very late into the arc with no connection to the characters or the readers and is immediately demanding to come on the ship. That's the exact opposite of what you would expect and opposed to what Oda is doing with other characters.

Look at Tama. A character introduced in the 3rd chapter of Wano, formed a relationship with Luffy, knew Ace, wanted to go out to sea with Ace and has been a recurring figure throughout the arc. Why should Luffy or us the readers care about Yamato, this random character he's just met?
Your acting as if the arc is already done and over with, My god, Talk about being hasty. She already has a storyline going for her in just two chapters of meeting her, Give her some fucking time to actually develop.

Funny how people justify that certain characters exactly look like the other one, while that has been oda's style of good looking ladies. I mean there's only one artist that draws this, so the style wont really become entirely different to the other.

'nami's template' can be seen with nami, rebecca, tashigi, pudding and yamato with a little tweaks in the eyes the hair and added features like horns, third eye or eyeglasses or whatnot.

Robin's template can also be seen somewhat with hancock.

I dont see the reason why people are making fuss about this
Your post literally only serves to highlight why it's unlikely Yamato will join.

Nami - Distinct design that is now used as a template for side characters
Robin - Distinct design that is now used as a template for side characters
Yamato - Unoriginal, tweaked version of Nami's design, similar to that of other princess side characters

The point people are bringing up in this context isn't that "Nami face bad", it's that Oda bothers to give his main characters their own designs, instead of having them reuse a previous design with some minor adjustments. That's the treatment he gives to side characters, often princesses like Pudding and Rebecca.

And none of these girls are part of the crew. :kayneshrug: weird how Oda actually deviated from namiface when he had another girl join the crew back in Alabasta, uh? As if he actually put more effort for staw hat that is going to have *constant* appearance til the end than for a secondary character.
That’s true. But what does "putting more effort" mean for Oda ? Who can say he doesn’t think the horns, the height and the weird hair are enough to make her look unique ? Because that’s what separates Yamato from characters like Rebecca, Tashigi or Hancock, who are just regular humans without any particular physical detail that makes them stand out from the other female characters.

That’s true. But what does "putting more effort" mean for Oda ? Who can say he doesn’t think the horns, the height and the weird hair are enough to make her look unique ? Because that’s what separates Yamato from characters like Rebecca, Tashigi or Hancock, who are just regular humans without any particular physical detail that makes them stand out from the other female characters.
I believe that if Oda actually put serious efforts into creating a new, distinct crewmate there wouldn't even be discussions concerning Nami and Yamato looking alike and there wouldn't be any need to discuss the diferences because nobody woud have been confused to begin with. I'm only speculating though, we'll see at the end of the arc if I was expecting too much from Oda or not.

Aight, I’m gonna start reporting the “I CAN’T STAND TWO PEOPLE WITH THE SAME FACE” posts...not only is it a weak argument, it’s getting annoying to present tangible evidence for why she should join and only be met with “BUT HOW WILL I, A TOTAL FUCKING MORON, BE ABLE TO TELL THEM APART??”
I think it's a valid argument. It deviates from the formula that all strawhats look distinctively different than the other. Princesses and side characters can have same faces but it's the first time a potential crew member will look the same. We all use the rules when evaluating potential candidates, why can't having different faces be one of them?

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
I think it's a valid argument. It deviates from the formula that all strawhats look distinctively different than the other. Princesses and side characters can have same faces but it's the first time a potential crew member will look the same. We all use the rules when evaluating potential candidates, why can't having different faces be one of them?
THERE IS NO FORMULA

THERE IS NO PATTERN

THERE IS ONLY WHAT ODA DECIDES TO DO

HE DOES NOT GIVE A SINGLE FUCK ABOUT THE COLLECTIVE HEADCANON OR ANYONE WHO THINKS THEY’VE FIGURED OUT EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW

HE IS SHOWING US A CHARACTER WITH THE MOTIVATION TO JOIN, AS WELL AS THE DESIRE TO TRAVEL WITH LUFFY SPECIFICALLY, ONE WHO IS STRONG AND KNOWLEDGEABLE AND COULD PROVE VITAL TO THE CREW AND THEIR JOURNEY

THE FACT THAT HER FACE SOMEWHAT RESEMBLES NAMI’S DOESN’T MATTER
AT
ALL

CHRIST, THIS FANDOM IS SO INFLEXIBLE WHEN FACED WITH NEW INFORMATION!!!

THERE IS NO FORMULA

THERE IS NO PATTERN

THERE IS ONLY WHAT ODA DECIDES TO DO

HE DOES NOT GIVE A SINGLE FUCK ABOUT THE COLLECTIVE HEADCANON OR ANYONE WHO THINKS THEY’VE FIGURED OUT EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW

HE IS SHOWING US A CHARACTER WITH THE MOTIVATION TO JOIN, AS WELL AS THE DESIRE TO TRAVEL WITH LUFFY SPECIFICALLY, ONE WHO IS STRONG AND KNOWLEDGEABLE AND COULD PROVE VITAL TO THE CREW AND THEIR JOURNEY

THE FACT THAT HER FACE SOMEWHAT RESEMBLES NAMI’S DOESN’T MATTER
AT
ALL

CHRIST, THIS FANDOM IS SO INFLEXIBLE WHEN FACED WITH NEW INFORMATION!!!
Wow, chill out, pal, it’s not that serious. This is nothing to lose your head over. If she’s bound to join the crew, it will happen anyway. Our opinion doesn’t matter at the end of the day, as it’s Oda who decides and facts speak for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.