Anime & Manga Admiral Lee Hung's Rare Meme Repository

Sword & Admiral Quality

• Total voters
I was originally going to share my thoughts on this with my Tyrant brethren on Discord but I thought “Screw it, this is worthy of a post”.

Well, I am now on Chapter 184 of Bleach and I have finished the Soul Society Arc (aka Bleach’s supposed best arc) in it’s entirety.

Honestly, Bleach has to be one of the most boring mangas that I have ever read and one of the greatest contributors to that problem is it’s setting.

Besides the High School shenanigans with Japanese teenagers in a world exactly like ours (bar the presence of supernatural abominations and superhumans), Bleach is set in the Soul Society, the base of operations from which the Soul Reapers operate from.

The Soul Society is split between the Rukongai, where the souls of deceased mortals stay for an undetermined amount of time (one soul confirmed that he had been there for over two centuries) and the Seireitei, where the Soul Reapers themselves reside.

In short, it is the afterlife. The only afterlife. Every single soul that ever existed passes through the Soul Society.

Now one would think that the afterlife would be a fairly exciting setting. A holy place of reverence that should bring those who behold such a wondrous supernatural spectacle to their knees in awe of it’s beauty and wonder, right?

Wrong.

Bleach’s afterlife is exactly and I mean exactly like Earth in every single way imaginable.

Poverty? Check. Nobles? Check. Conflict over resources? Check. Folk living in buildings? Check. Death (yes, you can die in the fecking afterlife)? Check. The need to eat (but apparently only for those who possess spirit energy)? Check. Illness (yes, the afterlife has that too... somehow)? Check. Animals (I guess they have souls)? Check.

The afterlife even has Cabbage White Butterflies. That is right, major agricultural crop pests that haunt the average farmer, inhabit the God damn afterlife. As a horticulturist, that reveal personally insulted me.

The thing is, even if one decided to work within these limitations that the afterlife must resemble our world, there was still potential to make this setting interesting.

After all, this is a place where all souls come through from all of human history.

Imagine the potential for cultural combinations? This is a place where Romans can meet Vikings, Aztecs can meet Mongols, Visigoths can meet Ancient Egyptians, Huns can meets Spartans etc. etc. One could see Egyptian pyramids next to Gothic cathedrals, oriental palaces next to Roman colosseums, modern buildings next to ancient architecture or even attempts to combine cultures. After all, there should be a lot of architects with literally all of eternity to spend on projects.

Imagine the potential for historical figures? Aristotle can have a chat with Karl Marx, Einstein can share his findings with Galileo, Ghandi can converse with Martin Luther King etc.

Or even how ordinary folk react? After all, atheists will be most surprised at the fact that an afterlife even exists while those of faith might be confused and even potentially disappointed over their situation that their faith that they dedicated their entire life to was a bit off the mark.

Well curb your imagination my dear reader cause according to the whims of Titty Kubo, all of the afterlife is one giant, feudal Japanese shanty town with a nice white wall palace in the middle and everyone in existence is Japanese.

This is not even getting into the inconsistent nature of the place.
Soul Reapers have to maintain an equal number of souls between the Soul Society and the Living World. If the balance is upset, the universe collapses.

Even an imbalance as small as a single bloke killing a couple dozen ghosts can threaten the entire universe.

Despite this, souls can kill each other as they please in the Rukongai without the Soul Reapers batting an eyelid.

Bleach has it’s own equivalent of Hell, where the Hollow by the name of Shrieker went to.

The Rukongai is divided into four sections (North, East, South and West) which in turn are divided into eighty sections where District 1 is safest and District 80 is a poverty stricken war zone where evil sods fight and kill each other regularly.... Despite the fact that there is a literal Hell to dump evil fecks into.

In short, Bleach is cripplingly disappointing in it’s setting and it makes it that much harder to read this damn series. Especially when it takes about 50 Chapters for the plot to even start and another 20 Chapters after that to get to the utterly boring Bleach afterlife.

This is not the only issue I have with this manga but damn is it the one that makes this series a damn slog to get through.

Last edited:

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
I was originally going to share my thoughts on this with my Tyrant brethren on Discord but I thought “Screw it, this is worthy of a post”.

Well, I am now on Chapter 184 of Bleach and I have finished the Soul Society Arc (aka Bleach’s supposed best arc) in it’s entirety.

Honestly, Bleach has to be one of the most boring mangas that I have ever read and one of the greatest contributors to that problem is it’s setting.

Besides the High School shenanigans with Japanese teenagers in a world exactly like ours (bar the presence of supernatural abominations and superhumans), Bleach is set in the Soul Society, the base of operations from which the Soul Reapers operate from.

The Soul Society is split between the Rukongai, where the souls of deceased mortals stay for an undetermined amount of time (one soul confirmed that he had been there for over two centuries) and the Seireitei, where the Soul Reapers themselves reside.

In short, it is the afterlife. The only afterlife. Every single soul that ever existed passes through the Soul Society.

Now one would think that the afterlife would be a fairly exciting setting. A holy place of reverence that should bring those who behold such a wondrous supernatural spectacle to their knees in awe of it’s beauty and wonder, right?

Wrong.

Bleach’s afterlife is exactly and I mean exactly like Earth in every single way imaginable.

Poverty? Check. Nobles? Check. Conflict over resources? Check. Folk living in buildings? Check. Death (yes, you can die in the fecking afterlife)? Check. The need to eat (but apparently only for those who possess spirit energy)? Check. Illness (yes, the afterlife has that too... somehow)? Check. Animals (I guess they have souls)? Check.

The afterlife even has Cabbage White Butterflies. That is right, major agricultural crop pests that haunt the average farmer, inhabit the God damn afterlife. As a horticulturist, that reveal personally insulted me.

The thing is, even if one decided to work within these limitations that the afterlife must resemble our world, there was still potential to make this setting interesting.

After all, this is a place where all souls come through from all of human history.

Imagine the potential for cultural combinations? This is a place where Romans can meet Vikings, Aztecs can meet Mongols, Visigoths can meet Ancient Egyptians, Huns can meets Spartans etc. etc. One could see Egyptian pyramids next to Gothic cathedrals, oriental palaces next to Roman colosseums, modern buildings next to ancient architecture or even attempts to combine cultures. After all, there should be a lot of architects with literally all of eternity to spend on projects.

Imagine the potential for historical figures? Aristotle can have a chat with Karl Marx, Einstein can share his findings with Galileo, Ghandi can converse with Martin Luther King etc.

Or even how ordinary folk react? After all, atheists will be most surprised at the fact that an afterlife even exists while those of faith might be confused and even potentially disappointed over their situation that their faith that they dedicated their entire life to was a bit off the mark.

Well curb your imagination my dear reader cause according to the whims of Titty Kubo, all of the afterlife is one giant, feudal Japanese shanty town with a nice white wall palace in the middle and everyone in existence is Japanese.

Soul Reapers have to maintain an equal number of souls between the Soul Society and the Living World. If the balance is upset, the universe collapses.

Even an imbalance as small as a single bloke killing a couple dozen ghosts can threaten the entire universe.

Despite this, souls can kill each other as they please in the Rukongai without the Soul Reapers batting an eyelid.

Bleach has it’s own equivalent of Hell, where the Hollow by the name of Shrieker went to.

The Rukongai is divided into four sections (North, East, South and West) which in turn are divided into eighty sections where District 1 is safest and District 80 is a poverty stricken war zone where evil sods fight and kill each other regularly.... Despite the fact that there is a literal Hell to dump evil fecks into.

In short, Bleach is cripplingly disappointing in it’s setting and it makes it that much harder to read this damn series. Especially when it takes about 50 Chapters for the plot to even start and another 20 Chapters after that to get to the utterly boring Bleach afterlife.

This is not the only issue I have with this manga but damn is it the one that makes this series a damn slog to get through.
I have no doubt that I had more fun reading this comment more than I would’ve had actually reading Bleach. What an utter lack of imagination lmfao.

Like I said, only got to like episode 8 of the anime, when ordinary high school student Chad was punching the air wildly to defeat a ghost he couldn’t see, and then ripped a telephone out of the concrete to smash the demon on the head with it, all because there was a haunted bird in a cage or some shit, Idfk.

I already lack any semblance of fucks to give about high school kids, let alone this fuckery.

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎

Wrong.

:goatasure:

Soul Society being imperfect is arguably the biggest motivation for Aizen and sorta Yhwach. And the reason its imperfect is sorta explained in the last arc... But it feels like you got maybe 120 chapters in and gave up cause this is all basic introductory stuff.

Wrong.

Dive in 100+ chapters more and you will notice Kubo's retarded obsession with cutting off characters' arms. :milaugh:

I have no doubt that I had more fun reading this comment more than I would’ve had actually reading Bleach. What an utter lack of imagination lmfao.

Like I said, only got to like episode 8 of the anime, when ordinary high school student Chad was punching the air wildly to defeat a ghost he couldn’t see, and then ripped a telephone out of the concrete to smash the demon on the head with it, all because there was a haunted bird in a cage or some shit, Idfk.

I already lack any semblance of fucks to give about high school kids, let alone this fuckery.
Honestly, the High School shenanigans were actually more entertaining. Lol. The comedy was better during those chapters.

As I said on Discord, if this series was supposed to be a slice of life, character driven, supernatural action comedy about a high school Japanese samurai ghostbuster then I would probably not be so harsh on it.

Unfortunately for Bleach, it is not and I am not.

The power scaling is also beyond absurd. Ichigo with less than two weeks training goes from like Mid Tier to Top Tier in the span of a single arc and defeats multiple Soul Reaper Top Tiers who count their experience in decades/centuries.

Not to mention some of the utterly stupid moments that happens in certain fights.

Soul Society being imperfect is arguably the biggest motivation for Aizen and sorta Yhwach. And the reason its imperfect is sorta explained in the last arc... But it feels like you got maybe 120 chapters in and gave up cause this is all basic introductory stuff.
Do I even need to say anything?

Also, when one’s greatest argument is

And the reason its imperfect is sorta explained in the last arc...
then one should just give up.

Oh yes. I must mention a certain sassenach character that I came to absolutely loathe in this little piece of plot convenient faecal excrement.
This bloody bugger had me rolling my eyeballs into the back of my sockets from his first cringeworthy footstep into the damn story.

So the first we see of this feck is that he lost the Company he was supposed to be with (4th Company) because he stopped to tie his shoelace.

He then proceeds to search for his comrades in 4th Company and instead comes up behind a group from 11th Company that have cornered Ichigo and Ganju.

He approaches the group, trips on the one lose paving stone in the entire Soul Society, falls into the back of the group, keeps bumping into every bloke until he reaches Ichigo, who in turn takes him hostage and runs away with him.

Turns out that this was the greatest move that nobody knew to make because our little shitty sassenach Hana-tosser just so happens to know a secret underground passage that just so happens to lead to the place where Rukia just so happens to be kept imprisoned.

What a fecking convenient coincidence.

When later asked why he is willingly helping them, Yamadolt explains that he befriended Rukia when he was on janitor duty outside her cell.

After Ichigo gets injured, this feck then reveals that he can heal folk.

This is the most arse to elbow implementation of a character that I have ever witnessed in all of fiction (so far).

He literally trips into the good guys because of a shoelace. Without him, everyone dies.

What a completely contrived character.

Oh yes. I must mention a certain sassenach character that I came to absolutely loathe in this little piece of plot convenient faecal excrement.
This bloody bugger had me rolling my eyeballs into the back of my sockets from his first cringeworthy footstep into the damn story.

So the first we see of this feck is that he lost the Company he was supposed to be with (4th Company) because he stopped to tie his shoelace.

He then proceeds to search for his comrades in 4th Company and instead comes up behind a group from 11th Company that have cornered Ichigo and Ganju.

He approaches the group, trips on the one lose paving stone in the entire Rukongai, falls into the back of the group, keeps bumping into every bloke until he reaches Ichigo, who in turn takes him hostage and runs away with him.

Turns out that this was the greatest move that nobody knew to make because our little shitty sassenach Hana-tosser just so happens to know a secret underground passage that just so happens to lead to the place where Rukia just so happens to be kept imprisoned.

When later asked why he is willingly helping them, Yamadolt explains that he befriended Rukia when he was on janitor duty outside her cell.

This is the most arse to elbow implementation of a character that I have ever witnessed in all of fiction (so far).

He literally trips into the good guys because of a shoelace. Without him, everyone dies.

Hahaha I actually totally forgot about him.

Is there... Really nothing you like in Bleach whatsoever? Cmon, there has to be something.

Is there... Really nothing you like in Bleach whatsoever? Cmon, there has to be something.
The designs are nice and simple even if I struggle to remember the actual names of most of the characters, some of the abilities are neat, there are a couple of characters that are too good for this manga (Chad, Urahara, Kenpachi) and there are a few enjoyable fights amongst the numerous boring showdowns.

The Aizen betrayal was executed well, it had enough clues for more attentive readers to notice what was going on. A pity that after the betrayal reveal, Aizen then goes into a tedious 2-3 chapter long monologue about how he wanted some plot McGuffin that I never even heard of before.

Bleach is the epitome of style over substance. A manga that defines what it means to be averagely average.

On my A Rank Scale of Excellence (the acronym is intentional) then Bleach gets a solid 6/10. Can be enjoyable at times but is objectively average at best.
Hahaha I actually totally forgot about him.
Folk usually do tend to forget about characters that serve purely as poorly executed and wholly contrived plot tools.
The only thing @Owl Ki would ever find refreshing in that washed-up series is its own version of the Mad Monk.

Based on his design alone, this looks like another character that is too good for this manga. :madmonk:
If these are his musings after 184 chapters, I think it's probably best for his health if he doesn't read further along :virusprot:
Reading Afro Samurai made me a literary masochist. In for a penny, in for a pound. :sanmoji:

RayanOO

Lazy is the way

He approaches the group, trips on the one lose paving stone in the entire Soul Society, falls into the back of the group, keeps bumping into every bloke until he reaches Ichigo, who in turn takes him hostage and runs away with him.

Yeah I like bleach and as a teen I watched or read it weekly so I have still great nostalgia for some characters and plot and I am biased.
And this is 100% sure that I will watch the new anime of the last arc.

But bleach is objectively the worst of the big three. Naruto is quite better and one piece is a lot better.

Bleach has too many problems (narrative power level world building etc ) but one of the biggest is the lack of food for thought.
In naruto you have the war between villages, the politics, the poor, the young soldiers, the mercenaries, terrorism etc. Some of the things in the story make you think.

In one piece you also have some politics (minor but yet), slavery, racial questions, war different justices etc.

But in bleach all the things that could have been deeper are not : the conflict between quincies and shinigami is never really explored deeper and was always treated in a superficial way, the Rukongai and the lawless areas are treated lightly too etc. Everything was just superficial and just are pretext to introduced the fights.

But yeah there are good characters and Soul society arc when you are 13/14 is a masterpiece