Speculations The calamities will be defeated by the scabbards

I think that this is probably the theory on wano matchups that I feel the strongest about.

So anyways, in the most recent chapter, while Luffy could have easily initiated the war by going after kaido, he chose not to, rather letting the scabbards have this honor. I feel as if this shows something very important that I don't think a lot of fans really understand.

The straw hats are not going to eclipse this entire arc. Wano kuni is an arc in which the straw hats have allied themselves with a plethora of strong characters, many of which are stronger than most straw hats. Hence, the straw hats are not going to get every fight, and they are not going to do everything. They will be in the center stage and will surely have important roles, but Oda will not make them do so many things that characters such as: Law, Kid, Killer, Drake, Marco, Yamato, and all 9 of the scabbards become irrelevant.

I think this fact is particularly neglected in regards to the calamity fights, in which almost every fan is championing that the m3 1v1s each of the calamities(Zoro vs king, Sanji vs Queen, and jinbe vs Jack). And while there are some parallels between the m3 and the calamities, I think that overall these fights don't make much sense, and that as onigashima has proceeded, it has made less and less sense.

I think that rather than the m3 taking out the calamities, this role will actually be done by the scabbards. There are many reasons for this but overall here are my thoughts.

The scabbards are extremely powerful and important characters this arc. They have an intimate connection with Oden, their story was the focus of the longest flashback in the series, and they are basically the driving force behind this alliance. It doesn't make sense for them to take a seat from the main action, because the scabbards aren't like Rebecca or vivi. They are strong characters, with the strongest of them arguably being close in strength to the calamities.

But beyond this, the scabbards actually have an intimate connection with the calamities. They fought the calamities 20 years ago and since then, they have developed even further connections between them.
  • jack destroyed Zou
  • Queen imprisoned kawamatsu for many years
  • King stabbed asura doji in the back, during the oden flashback
I feel as if due to this, there is actually more build up for them fighting the calamities than the monster trio. This also makes sense if we just look at how strong they are, inu and neko were able to clash on par with jack without using their su long forms, and asura doji was able to break jack's blade and slice him clean open. With how strong they have been portrayed, i don't think it makes sense for them to fight tobi roppo.

But what about the monster trio? I think that many people make the mistake of thinking that the wano fights will be in the same style as enies lobby, when in reality, they will most likely be to a similar style as thriller bark. Wano has 2 yonko to fight, which means that the final battle will likely be a huge tag team. I feel like this is probably going to be where Oda shows the monster trio off.

Zoro has been foreshadowed to fight kaido over and over again. With him having enma, to his connections with Ryuuma, to him outright stating that he wanted to get passed the headliners so that he could go face kaido. Sanji and jinbe, on the other hand, have connections to big mom due to WCI.

I think that similar to thriller bark, the monster trio will get relatively easy 1v1s(imo: Zoro vs Who's Who, Sanji vs page one or perospero, and Jinbe vs compote). After this, they will go all out helping luffy defeat the yonko.

Veku

Flamboyant
I disagree.
It's been over 20 years and The Strawhats have always been the saviors of the most arcs, side characters ambitions,personal grudge, powerlevel, dreams and emotional investment have bee never a reason allowing them to overshadow the Strawhats' accomplishments or to "steal" opponents from them.
Vivi, Wiper, Pauly, Lola, Kyros and even Law....none of them was allowed to do so.

The theme of the arc is is different as always, but the build up is a common formula Oda has been used plenty of times already, the Scabbards will for sure get their piece of the cake, maybe their team attack will actually weaken Kaido, or they will even help some Strawhats in teamfights who knows, but in the end they won't be the ones saving the day and the Calamaties are the most troublesome and dangerous enemys after Kaido and Big Mom.

On top, Sanji, Zoro and Jinbei are in a sweet spot where they have been shown that anyone below Calamaties wouldn't make them look like they are the underdogs, nor force them to progress, so it would take all the tension away if they fought someone else instead, unless it's Kaido himself of course, who I think is too strong. I doub't they could do more than being used as meat shield or to help Luffy for a short period before being clapped, especially after they finished their fights beforehand...

Also the Big Mom Pirates are not the main enemys of the arc, that has been made clear in several occaisions, it would just not fit thematically for the main fighters of the Strawhats to take one them.

I'm actually pretty sure that next chapter, the Scrabbads are going to suffer a lot and the Calamaties will be redeemed to an extend.

Last edited:
It's is very unlikely that side characters which is what the scabbards are regardless of how strong they are take out the calamities who are the strongest primary antagonists after Kaidou and Linlin especially not at the expense of the Zoro, Sanji and Jinbe in a pivotal arc like wano is and especially not since the lot of them have lacked individual fights coming into the timeskip (One Piece is not Dragon Ball or at the very least I sure hope it hasn't devolved into that...lolz. I can't even express in words how ass it'd be to have Zoro, Sanji and Jinbe fight the Yonkou in which they are most definitely going to play second fiddle to Luffy without giving them proper fights). @Veku has already given some very good examples of why it is very unlikely that side characters take out major antagonists above so no point in me delving into that. That said, you could make an argument for Inu/Neko v Jack tho, but personally I'm very doubtful about that matchup as Inu/Neko don't seem particularly fixated on Jack. Moreover the two fighting together against Jack together in their Sulong forms when both are about as strong as Jack is in base without it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me personally. Might as well just pit them both against Kaidou and give Jack to Jinbe.

That said, even though I think it's very unlikely that the scabbards take out the calamities the numbers/tobi roppo or some of Orochi's forces are still on the cards. For example tings like Kin v Kanjuro, Denjiro v Sasaki, Raizou v Fukurokuju etc.. Personally think most of the scabbards are gonna get offed in the next few chapters at the expense of Kaidou and the Calamities and only the really prominent ones and by that I don't necessarily mean strength will survive and might be getting 1 v 1s etc.
Post automatically merged:

But Kyros defeated Diamante, and Law defeated Vergo and Trebol, which are Doflamingo’s equivalent to Kaido’s calamities.
Kyros is an exception but you also have to consider that half of the SHs weren't present on DR which is very different from Wano. Moreover that is just one antagonist. What the OP is insinuating is that all three of Kaidou's strongest subordinates will be taking out by side characters which is incredibly unlikely imo. Also Law is not the same calibre of character as the likes of scabbards or the characters Veku mentioned with the exception of Vivi. Law is basically a pseudo primary protagonist at this point and has a lot more to offer to the plot than the scabbards do.

Last edited:
I disagree.
It's been over 20 years and The Strawhats have always been the saviors of the most arcs, side characters ambitions,personal grudge, powerlevel, dreams and emotional investment have bee never a reason allowing them to overshadow the Strawhats' accomplishments or to "steal" opponents from them.
Vivi, Wiper, Pauly, Lola, Kyros and even Law....none of them was allowed to do so.

The theme of the arc is is different as always, but the build up is a common formula Oda has been used plenty of times already, the Scabbards will for sure get their piece of the cake, maybe their team attack will actually weaken Kaido, or they will even help some Strawhats in teamfights who knows, but in the end they won't be the ones saving the day and the Calamaties are the most troublesome and dangerous enemys after Kaido and Big Mom.

On top, Sanji, Zoro and Jinbei are in a sweet spot where they have been shown that anyone below Calamaties wouldn't make them look like they are the underdogs, nor force them to progress, so it would take all the tension away if they fought someone else instead, unless it's Kaido himself of course, who I think is too strong. I doub't they could do more than being used as meat shield or to help Luffy for a short period before being clapped, especially after they finished their fights beforehand...

Also the Big Mom Pirates are not the main enemys of the arc, that has been made clear in several occaisions, it would just not fit thematically for the main fighters of the Strawhats to take one them.

I'm actually pretty sure that next chapter, the Scrabbads are going to suffer a lot and the Calamaties will be redeemed to an extend.
Sounds like Cap, people below commander level can definitely press them, Daifuku Was on par with Sanji when they clashed, and was able to press Sanji. Sanji got the better of the clash he had with Page One but Page One was not defeated and he was able to physically over power sanji. Zoro hasnt even had an extensive fight with Veteran level characters yet. But If he's calling someone like Killer strong, then someone like Who's Who is definitely pressing Zoro.Plus Denjiro was pressing Zoro as well and none of the scabbards are commander level. Jimbei was literally shook every time Oven and Perospero did something.

it's highly possible. the point of facing yonko and making alliance so theyre can share same equal achievement against enemy. even luffy isnt sealed to get 1 vs 1 match here.

take a look to law luffy ally against doffy's where luffy beat Caesar where law beats trebol and vergo as well as participating against doffy where kyros take on Diamante (because he had motive just like scabbards had against kaido). even sabo holding fujitora and the gladiators get the executives.

same like at wci. luffy Co get assist from germa and jinbe Co and BMP themselves only to get away from big mom.

this is new world. they are facing a yonko. if the marine need to summon every single of their alliance against whitebeard do you freakin believe every single top SH can deal with calamities and their captain+big mom?

the alliance is a must. they are not a tool but they are equal comrade in a war. the only time luffy and every single of them get to solo yonko crew is will be the near of end arc. roger pirates with their all might still cannot beat wb pirates in 3 days battle. beating 1 yonko crew with 1 crew is impossible so far.
right now they are not even competent. every sh except luffy have 0 experience against top high tier like king katakuri or queen. but on contrary. scabbard had faced calamity and some of them even growing stronger in past 20 years and most importantly is they have their perfect own reason to beat them.

scabbard aren't a joke. even member like neko or inu without their sulong can stalamate YC3 with his load of minions. zoro down only 1 stab by killer and sanji got neg diffed by doflamingo.you can call it was all because distraction but in a war distraction is normal thing. everyone attacking everyone.

Last edited:
you should know by now that the straw hats come first remember in dressrosa where had every reason to have the final blow on doflamingo but after gama knife law wasn’t involved in the fight anymore and luffy continued the fight on his own
Post automatically merged:

But Kyros defeated Diamante, and Law defeated Vergo and Trebol, which are Doflamingo’s equivalent to Kaido’s calamities.
both kyros and law wanted to defeat doflamingo himself not just his underlings

Dont think will be the case, seems that this battle will drag for much more time than what we think.

The Dukes can't use the Sulong now, so would be strange for Oda to make them have their main fight without the power he is hinting for so long (ahahah).

I think the fights will be in various rounds, as the Ancient Zoan seems to be very tough, but the final ones will be Zoro and Sanji main time to shine against the Beast Pirates. They even recived powerup before the raid.

Veku

Flamboyant
Punk Hazard and Dressrosa are part of the same storyline, Law defeated Vergo for very personal reasons none of the Strawhats has been involved in and started the battle against the Doquixote pirates by doing so (and Luffy defeated the arc boss regardless). And just then the Strawhats have been emotionally invested and even though it was Kyro's and Law's goal to kill Doffy, none of them managed to do it, Law helped Luffy do so, but in the end it was Luffy who defeated him, he was the savior.
As for Zoro, defeated the biggest threat after Mingo, while Sanji was absent. So he took on the second strongest of the Enemey's group as usually. And No Burgess was a outsider.
None of the other Strawhats were strong enough to beat Trebol and Dimante, but they either fought someone else or did other important things like Usopp for example.

Wano is all about war, a big battle that is going to occure and the Strawhats are the protagonists, so the two or three strongest member of the Strawhats, excluding Luffy, shouldn't play the second fiddle, that is really just not appropriate and has not really ever been the case, maybe Skypia is the closest thing we had, where Sanji was kinda side-lined...

This is why i feel so strange when Luffy Zoro and Sanji had a powerup but the other supernovas dont have it.
i think they are all both power up but oda just don't have time to showed it.kidd against bm comannder and he get stomped by kaido or uroge beats snack is one example xtreme diff fight could become powerup. same like law against doffy. they are prolly not get weapon and tolls like sanji or zoro. but they got fight that push them harder become stronger. same like luffy's path after ts. he keeps get stronger through extreme fight

Do you want boring ass fight bro? Scabbard didn't have any other technique than one shot slashing 😭 Do you want another boring Kyros vs that flag devil user?

Zoro sanji jinbe will grow in this fighting before clash with another 1v1 with Blackbeard and Gorosei.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Now that Oden is gone there's no way they can pull off something so difficult

Calamities are yonko top commanders

Oden would have destroyed them but no one is anywhere close his strenght

They will also perish by the hands of Kaido not to mention

N

NeutralWatcher

Not going to happen. Zoro always fight 2nd strongest while Sanji fights 3rd strongest.

I can see scabbards as calamities warm up just like Flying Six would be monster trio warm up but in the end Zoro vs King and Sanji vs Queen. Luffy would fight Kaido either with team up or not.