General & Others The Gifter Encyclopedia - Every SMILE user that appeared so far

Hi, Worstgen!

We all know who the Gifters are: those members of the Beasts Pirates who ate a successfull SMILE, gaining the ability to partially transform into an animal. We also know that the total number of artificial devil fruit users under Kaido is around 500 (chapter 698 and 983), so Oda has plenty of space to design all kind of bizarre hybrids. Since their first appearance in chapter 795 we've witnessed quite a good number of them, so I found it interesting to compilate them by chapter.

The result? The Gifter Encyclopedia! Now, let's make some clarifications. I've only taken into account those characters who clearly ate a devil fruit and showed it, so I left out confirmed Gifters that, however, haven't really seen any animal trait. This said, I've included both the obvious powers and those which are less defined so we may try to figure out their exact animal.

So now that it's all clear, let's deep into the horrors of SMILEs chapter by chapter!

Since a post has a limit of 40 images and my next part will authomatically merge with this one, I will wait for you guys to answer this thread so I can post the next parts gradually. As you can see, many remain unidentified because of the vague traits of their animals, and others's abilities are assumed by me as possibilities. Feel free to discuss my opinions.

Hope you like the compilation, and share your thoughts!

Last edited:
Next part of the compilation: Gifters from chapter 943 to 979. Hope you enjoy it! And don't forget to post a new reply so I can keep posting the next parts (remember, the 40 image limit...).

This topic should be stickied.
I'm really happy to see it sticked, and I hope that the users who check the thread will find it interesting.

Is Sarahebi really a smile df user?

She has good design. I expect her to appear again soon.
She is indeed, she appeared alongside other SMILE users when Shinobu, if I recall correctly, explained the divisions inside the Beasts Pirates. In that image she, in fact, appeared with a pair of black horns, so I assume she's a Beasts pirate first and foremost.

Ginrummy is a SMILE user , although we never saw her powers
Yes, but as I explained I will only count those Gifters whose powers have been shown. There are others we haven't seen using their fruits, for example some of those who tried to capture Luffy and company by Queen's order.

wow, thanks a lot for the work you put in, seeing all the smile users like this gives a great overview of them.

did Oda adress why some smile users can transform while some are stuck in animal form? I have a vague memory that he did, but i'm not sure.
Also, im expecting the numbers to have some kind of smile fruits too, but different compared to the ones we have seen, maybe some kind of chimera smiles, meaning theyre a mix of different animals or something

Next part of the compilation!

Gifters from chapter 980 to 983. A small number of chapters but an incredible amount of new SMILE users displaying their powers. As usual, I hope you enjoy it and don't forget to post a new reply so I can keep it up with the incoming parts. Thank you!

Note: this unnamed gifter with the stag beetle SMILE is probably the same as the unnamed stag beetle gifter from chapter 978, but slight differences between their designs (feathered versus leather clothes, no tattoo versus tattoo, googles in the cap...) made me register them as two separate characters. I'd say that Oda just redesigned the guy a little bit, though.

I wish I had Mihawk's eyes, because sometimes it is a bit hard to notice certain Gifters who only change small parts of their body. It is also hard because some Beasts Pirates look like a SMILE user yet they aren't (because they are wearing an animal mask, for example), so sometimes it's difficult to make the distinction!

I never realized but some of them actually kinda resemble a legit zoan df user in hybrid form
Wait, Pandaman is from beast pirates after all this time????
Yeah, they must be the most successful, but I wonder if they can change to their human self. And yes, it looks like Pandaman was a traitor all along! (obviously he was meant to be a joke, but I found it funny to include him too).

wow, thanks a lot for the work you put in, seeing all the smile users like this gives a great overview of them.

did Oda adress why some smile users can transform while some are stuck in animal form? I have a vague memory that he did, but i'm not sure.
Also, im expecting the numbers to have some kind of smile fruits too, but different compared to the ones we have seen, maybe some kind of chimera smiles, meaning theyre a mix of different animals or something
Thank you! Oda hasn't addressed that issue, no. I find it to be quite inconsistent since average Gifters from Zou were able to change at will yet we have people like Holdem stuck with his lion or Dobon living inside the mouth of a hippo. I wonder if there's an actual explanation for that...

Regarding the Numbers, I actually hope the ate natural, common Zoan models. I find it weird that Kaido's crew has literally zero normal Zoan; all of them are either artificial or ancient plus his mythical.

Amazing work. When Wano is over, we can finally get down to the business that really matters -- the definitive Gifter Tier list, ranking designs, utility, innovation, Oda's favorite animals, etc.

By the way, I am starting to see some popular trends that could be categorized here.
  • Animal face guy. Varying from Zoan user face to pure animal face.
  • Extra arms dude. Simple additional arms just added to the torso.
  • Stomach animal bro. Animal head added somewhere in the front part of the torso.
  • Flying fellahs. Most of them just have wings attached to their torso.
Thank you! Oda hasn't addressed that issue, no. I find it to be quite inconsistent since average Gifters from Zou were able to change at will yet we have people like Holdem stuck with his lion or Dobon living inside the mouth of a hippo. I wonder if there's an actual explanation for that...
I don't see the ability to transform as an inconsistency, but as part of the SMILE gamble. Sarahebi is a named Gifter introduced in Wano who can look like a normal school teacher or extend her neck at will. It would be interesting to see if she has two states Normal and Extended Neck with her neck just going from one to the other, or if she can precisely control the degree she can extend her neck making it seem she's a Paramecia rather than a Zoan

Anyways, the point is Oda has not simply forgotten they can do that between Zou and Wano. Not all Gifters are lucky, some are luckier than others. Some Gifters have the ability to transform, others are permanently stuck like Holdem and Dobon. Some Gifters here (butterfly girls) can practically pass off as a Zoan hybrid forms, while others gained animal ears on top of their head and that's it.
Regarding the Numbers, I actually hope the ate natural, common Zoan models. I find it weird that Kaido's crew has literally zero normal Zoan; all of them are either artificial or ancient plus his mythical.
Yes, it's pretty comical. My take is that Oda believes there's enough regular Zoans in the series in general and several even iconic, from Dalton to Pell to Rob Lucci to several Vice Admirals. He doesn't really need to carve out a place for them in Wano. On the other hand, Wano is the home of SMILE users. There was no Gifters in Punk Hazard, Doflamingo didn't feed any to his thousands of men in Dressrosa. There is no Gifter pirates running around the New World as Kaido perceivably became Doflamingo's exclusive client. There is Wano arc and that's it, the Gifters very likely disappear from the series after this.

There is also another problem in that the Ancient Zoan class has been neglected for far too long. We've had X-Drake and nothing until Jack showed up. No WB Commanders with Ancient Zoans, no Rev Army Commanders, no Doffy subordinates (even though he works the DF trade), no Marine Vice Admirals with this power either. Too many missed opportunities. Even if every Flying Six member is an Ancient Zoan, there will be more Logias than Ancient Zoans in this series. It gives the wrong perception that the Ancient Zoans are a rarer class than Logia, when that label should belong to only the Mythical Zoan class to justify their amazing Paramecia + Zoan abilities.

So what does Oda say to this problem? Regular Zoans, take a back seat. You've had your time in the sun. But I definitely agree with your sentiments. It would be amazing to see the horned beastial bodies of the Numbers combined with animal bodies, even simply Regular Zoans, to create wicked giant hybrid forms. It would also beautifully round off Kaido's hierarchy of his dream all-DF crew. Mythical Zoan (boss) > Ancient Zoan (Commanders and Flying Six) > Regular Zoan (Numbers) > Headliners (Elite Gifters - partial animal transformations) > Gifters (bad transformations) > everyone else (the losers stuck waiting for their DFs).

Last edited: