Chapter Discussion One Piece Chapter 988: "I've kept you waiting"

Rate

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Luffy is back to how he was in, Alabasts Water 7, Ennies Lobby and Marineford. Oda regressed his character post timeskip. Oda is now returning Luffy to the eay he was before timeskip.

Post timeskip Luffy up until Wano was utter trash, and was worse than he was at the from Alabasta to Marineford.
I think up to Wano is a bit of an exaggeration, most of post-timeskip Luffy has been PIS nerfed, but by WCI he was able to shine.

Even in Zou the moment where he forces Momo to be a partner and hold his head up high is a great moment that shows off his unique elements as a character while everyone is standing shocked and angry until they realise what's going on.

Whole Cake Island Luffy was pure kino:
1) Declaring he couldn't be king without Sanji
2) Trash talking Big Mom and calling her a loser for making excuses blaming Lola on her not being pirate king
3) Starving himself and managing to keep his promise despite the army
4) Confronting Katakuri and smashing the mirror
5) Claiming he couldn't run away from him if he wanted his haki to bloom
6) Telling katakuri there is nothing such as rules in a pirate fight.
7) Demanding Jinbe return alive at all costs because he is his captain.

Just a quick thought about overall consistency issues:
We all know that Luffy is the main protagonist and strongest fighter of the SHs.
There is a small gap to Zoro and then again another small gap to Sanji. It has been this way since day one, no discussion here.

Here comes my problem: We all saw what happened in the Luffy vs Katakuri fight.

Luffy was pummeled for 95% of the fight and only managed to "win" in the end (after 12 hours btw), because he ran away for quite some time and Katakuri actually had honor/mercy (significantly injuring himself).

Remind you - that was Luffy against a YC1.

I just don't see how Oda can pull off satisfying victories for Zoro and Sanji against King/Queen, without us always having to think about consistency issues.

When even Luffy basically only managed a draw/flawed victory against Katakuri, with all the plot conveniences in the world, how can you justify Sanji and Zoro doing exactly the same thing right now, probably in even way less time?
or maybe it's time to accept that : katakuri is a "commander" of his own class...:goatasure:

We all know that Luffy is the main protagonist and strongest fighter of the SHs.
There is a small gap to Zoro and then again another small gap to Sanji. It has been this way since day one, no discussion here.

Luffy was pummeled for 95% of the fight and only managed to "win" in the end (after 12 hours btw), because he ran away for quite some time and Katakuri actually had honor/mercy (significantly injuring himself).

I just don't see how Oda can pull off satisfying victories for Zoro and Sanji against King/Queen, without us always having to think about consistency issues.

When even Luffy basically only managed a draw/flawed victory against Katakuri, with all the plot conveniences in the world, how can you justify Sanji and Zoro doing exactly the same thing right now, probably in even way less time?
Because current Luffy is much stronger ?

1) Katakuri is a shade stronger than King, (given more absolute respect in his crew, is seen as ultimately competent and undefeatable, and more useful than Big Mom in many ways)
2) Katakuri is a bad matchup for Luffy with his fruit mimicing most of his abilities, King's fruit while powerful is more straightforward and if WCI Luffy fought King I really don't think he'd have the same issues he did as he did with either Katakuri's mimicry.
3) Katakuri is difficult to hit without Future Sight, King doesn't seem to have hax haki.
4) Luffy was starved only hours previously, and he was injured more than Katakuri from that interference (he fell over wheras Katakuri didn't, and he was also drugged) so this is even rather than a one sided nerf for Katakuri.
5) Sanji has durability against fire and can fly, two of the things that make King a troublesome opponent to deal with, so it's not an unreasonable matchup.
6) They have all had Wano fights/ training that mean they are stronger than they were on WCI, Wano Luffy would smoke Katakuri.

I just noticed after rereadin the chapter that the one who went up there to help Kaido is actually Jack.
Jack is the most built up calamity. The others are enemies simply because they work for Kaido. Jack on the other hand has direct relationship with Mink nation who directly serve Kozuki clan. He us not just muscle like the likes of Queen/King or Tobii Roppo, he has actual plot relevance tied in to the arc. It's not surprising that he is in the roof on a full moon facing the very race he tried to wipe out a few weeks ago.

Because current Luffy is much stronger ?
We're talking about Sanji and Zoro here though.
They didn't get any massive 1-vs-1 fight to suddenly get a huge powerup.
They're still more or less the same than they were pre-WCI.
Post automatically merged:

or maybe it's time to accept that : katakuri is a "commander" of his own class...:goatasure:
Not really. He just a commander like any other YC1.

Jaguark101

"Dreams are Messages from the Deep"
‎‎
I think up to Wano is a bit of an exaggeration, most of post-timeskip Luffy has been PIS nerfed, but by WCI he was able to shine.

Even in Zou the moment where he forces Momo to be a partner and hold his head up high is a great moment that shows off his unique elements as a character while everyone is standing shocked and angry until they realise what's going on.

Whole Cake Island Luffy was pure kino:
1) Declaring he couldn't be king without Sanji
2) Trash talking Big Mom and calling her a loser for making excuses blaming Lola on her not being pirate king
3) Starving himself and managing to keep his promise despite the army
4) Confronting Katakuri and smashing the mirror
5) Claiming he couldn't run away from him if he wanted his haki to bloom
6) Telling katakuri there is nothing such as rules in a pirate fight.
7) Demanding Jinbe return alive at all costs because he is his captain.
WCI is the best arc post time skip imo

We're talking about Sanji and Zoro here though.
They didn't get any massive 1-vs-1 fight to suddenly get a huge powerup.
They're still more or less the same than they were pre-WCI.
Post automatically merged:

Not really. He just a commander like any other YC1.
As the left and right hands of the pirate king they know they have to step up and be relevant in this war, they've had a week to mentally and physically prepare, that is a massive time span when the plot wheels are moving.

Zoro has had on panel training time with a new sword capable of training his haki better (and before that was pushed to a fight that made him unconscious afterwards) and Sanji has been testing and using his new powerup against members of the worst generation, not to mention all the experience he gained against a Yonko crew in WCI. They have clashed with Veterans and mostly come out on top, they are ready to fight yonko commanders that don't have overly hax haki and overly hax fruits like Katakuri.

N

NeutralWatcher

If Oda really want Sanji to fight Queen, he could have made Queen realized RS Sanji's invisibility when Sanji saved Momonosuke and flew and screamed O Soba Mask (I'm sure his subordinates reported him about RS Sanji, invisible ability) yet Oda chose King instead of Queen to chase Sanji.

People need to stop using Luffy as a measure to other people lol
The truth is that Zoro is the one who specializes at CoA and Sanji at CoO, while Luffy is more generic aka CoC. Luffy learnt something that Zoro already knew, while it's fair to say that he needed to keep up with Sanji CoO at WCI.
Remember when they showed the best haki feats in the magazine?
The CoA feat was Zoro cutting Pica while the CoO feat was Sanji dodging the jellybean.
And it'll continue this way, they all getting buffed in all departments, but Zoro will remain better at CoA, Sanji at CoO while Luffy will be good at both, but not the best in any, meaning more of a generic and "complete fighter".
Mind y'all that Luffy struggles at any guy he fights, Oda doesn't give him the best portrayal, and we got what, 2 fight arcs after Wano?
Teach crew and the marines. So it's not "too soon", there's a reason Oda gave PUs before the raid even started and they all trained.
Sure you can point out inconsistencies but at the end of the day Oda is buffing them all, Zoro and Sanji more because they're the top fighters. I mean, Franky is putting work on BM (lol) so...
Best of the worlds would be if Zoro and Sanji gotten more fights before this, yet he focused too much on Luffy. It is what it is :kayneshrug:

well useless for momo anyway
That's not the issue. Its just that Yamato's character is more annoying, and cringe than interesting because she keeps zapping on about Oden and Ace. She is a bit like Sabo where her entire character depends on someone else.

I love Tashigi who happens to be identical to Kuina in every way and yet her character is still able to stand on her own. Oda is self aware that her looks are meant to annoy Zoro and us but little by little we and Marimo learn to accept it. She has an hilarious love and hate relationship with Zoro that is blossoming into romance. She has a genuine love for sword and doing what's right. Her story arc about becoming a wiser and stronger person about justice is genuinely interesting and relatable. Her interactions with Sanji are actually funny and her moment with Nami was really emotional.

Last edited:
That's not the issue. Its just that Yamato's character is more annoying, and cringe than interesting because she keeps zapping on about Oden and Ace. She is a bit like Sabo where her entire character depends on someone else.

I love Tashigi who happens to be identical to Kuina in every way and yet her character is still able to stand on her own. Oda is self aware that her looks are meant to annoy Zoro and us but little by little we and Marimo learn to accept it. She has an hilarious love and hate relationship with Zoro that is blossoming into romance. She has a genuine love for sword and doing what's right. Her story arc about becoming a wiser and stronger person about justice is genuinely interesting and relatable. Her interactions with Sanji are actually funny and her moment Nami was really emotional.
that sword belongs to momo for me it wouldn't feel righ as hiyori already gave hers to zoro.

that sword belongs to momo for me it wouldn't feel righ as hiyori already gave hers to zoro.
I don't think Momo can become a seasoned swordsman in a matter of weeks. This is not the Disney Star Wars trilogy. However, Oda is already putting Yamato in charge of Oden's son. Unlike him, she is strong and I would not be surprised if her worship of Ace and Oden also conveniently lead her to learn the way of the sword.

:lawsigh:

If Oda really want Sanji to fight Queen, he could have made Queen realized RS Sanji's invisibility when Sanji saved Momonosuke and flew and screamed O Soba Mask (I'm sure his subordinates reported him about RS Sanji, invisible ability) yet Oda chose King instead of Queen to chase Sanji.
yeah it baffles me that people still think sanji is going to fight queen

And it'll continue this way, they all getting buffed in all departments, but Zoro will remain better at CoA, Sanji at CoO while Luffy will be good at both, but not the best in any, meaning more of a generic and "complete fighter".
No Luffy is aiming to be the pirate king and is stronger than both at both, he is gunning for Yonko level, all the way back to Arlong Park his thing was being stronger than his crew, we haven't even seen what advanced CoC does yet, so magazine comments designed to hype all the main fighters shouldn't be taken out of context, just because speed is Sanji's forte doesn't mean he is faster than snakeman, just because AP is Zoro's forte doesn't mean he is more damaging than king kong gun.
Numerically speaking if due to his speciality being CoO, Sanji's CoO is 9 and his CoA is 7 that doesn't mean either are above Luffy's 9.5 CoO or 9.5 CoA, it just means that he personally is specialized towards CoO.

With a little bit of a hint he learned penetration haki which only he has on the island of Wano unless proven otherwise.
Sanji doesn't have Katakuri level future sight unless proven otherwise, and a long range jelly bean isn't conclusive proof for that.

So yes Luffy is better in all areas of haki than his crewmates, as it should be he is aiming to become a haki master type character like Roger/Shanks, unless you think Rayleigh has better CoA than Roger and Scopper has better CoO, which just seems weird.

Pre-skip Luffy unlocked the beginnings of future sight all the way back in his fight against Mihawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.