Powers & Abilities Power Creep and Story Inconsistencies

It was never about innovative. I dont think thats something One Piece ever was

His writing is admittedly great when it comes to foreshadowing and worldbuilding. When anyone say One Piece has great writing, they are always refering to those two aspects of the series lol.
Nobody denies that Oda is great at worldbuilding.
There are more aspects of "writing" though, like we've discussed here. In quite a few others Oda is ok, but nowhere near the best.

:beckmoji: stop the lies

OP is a battle manga
Which manga which starts with a battle, has battles the whole pre ts and the whole NW is about making luffy stronger by having extreme battles

Just to be "not a battle manga"
It isnt a battle manga, well atleast not on the caliber of DBZ and other of the like.

Most of the fights in One Piece is a clash of ideals, it isnt even about powerlevel, powerscaling etc.
Post automatically merged:

Nobody denies that Oda is great at worldbuilding.
There are more aspects of "writing" though, like we've discussed here. In quite a few others Oda is ok, but nowhere near the best.
If we are specifically talking about the Shonen genre, he definately is one of the best

J

Jo_Ndule

@Mr. Anderson ]
It's a battle manga.
You don't need to be dbz for it to be considered battle manga or not.
Fanboys should stop fooling people, OP has always been a battle manga based on pirate adventure

If the fights were about powerlevel, we wouldn't be having these reactiins from top tiers or high tiers when someone loses. Even during battles you hear "im stronger, u can't beat me"

I think Only the Calamities and Flying Six will show Haki, well Hotei Fuku and their guys as well since Ryou is a part of Wano basic training

Remember that other than the Seats, not a single Member from Doflamingo's Crew had Haki, even Borderline Vet level Kyros didn't know Haki. Even in Big Mom's Crew outside of the Vets and Sweet Commanders, only Raisin Opera's Brothers and Tamago/Pekoms had Haki. In Raisin and Opera's Brothers case it's likely because they lacked a Devil Fruit or Swordmanship like Amande so they trained their Haki. Tamago and Pekoms seem in Between Vet and Minister Level and are special cases

It does Create a question to why unlike the Marines, The Yonkos and Doflamingo don't force their crews to learn Haki, if Helmeppo can learn Haki Kaido and Big Mom had zero excuses to not force their Ministers and Headliners to learn Haki

If we go into seinen territory the list gets very long, but even in the shonen department I actually rate the writing of HxH, Jojo and SnK higher.

Doesn't mean that I enjoy those series more btw. I enjoy reading OP more than I enjoy reading SnK for example. I still think the latter is slightly better written in a lot of aspects.
LMAO
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy those other shows... but the amount of plotholes in Jojo specifically is gigantic that comparing it to One piece in terms of writing is just a JOKE to me honestly

SnK and HxH too have their bad shit in writing too

But let me tell you why I put One Piece > than all of those 3 you mentioned.... without actually ruining the mood for other series you mentioned because I still enjoy them...

the reason you actually MENTIONED YOURSELF..... We both enjoy One Piece more.... it's just that simple

Let me tell you... I'm the type of fan who would rather watch a show that has few plotholes but VERY ENTERTAINING than watch a show that has ZERO plotholes, but doesn't get entertainment out of me...

This is why people who diss bleach around here can KISS MY HAIRY ASS... and go suck it with other shows.... the amount of entertainment I got from Bleach >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HxH/JoJo/SnK/Naruto (combined)

I'm a simple viewer.... I think people lost the purpose of watching a show or anime or a series... which is entertainment.... this is something that keeps happening here in Wano war arc....

I'll explain to you what I mean....

Logically, in terms of writing... Beating two Yonko this arc SHOULD NOT happen... Luffy going toe to toe with Kaido SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.... Zoro should barely beat a YC... Sanji should BARELY beat a YC (that's if they did not team up even)... that's what is logical and good for writing.... IS IT ENTERTAINING? FUCK NOOOOOOO

What's entertaining is seeing Luffy beat the shit out of Kaido... what's entertaining is seeing Luffy go super powerful on his ass by end of arc, and what's entertaining is seeing Zoro and Sanji progress so much in this arc where Zoro may help against Kaido or beat a YC1, and Sanji beat a YC2 or even King if Zoro focuses on Kaido

that shit is 100% more entertaining and the purpose of reading the series, THANKFULLY Oda did not lose sight of it... and did not follow what some fans who just want logical shit happening... thankfully Oda knows entertainment is >>>> logical writing... and he's gonna doing that

There's no reason for luffy to be planatery at EoS. The biggest DC feat needed is the destruction of the redline and an ancient weapon might do that.
IMU might be a fodder. And Oda is unlikely to go the Toriko, naruto, bleach route.

I don't see any other way one piece could he written. They move to islands, learn about the history and people and free them from oppression. That's what is expected and I don't see any writer doing it in a different way
There is no need... but Oda can have fun drawing an attack that is planetary... it's not about needed or not....

:beckmoji: stop the lies

OP is a battle manga that focuses on Adventure
Which manga which starts with a battle, has battles the whole pre ts and the whole NW is about making luffy stronger by having extreme battles

Just to be "not a battle manga"

In fact, NW has been more about battles and fighting Emperors than adventure
Look at Skypiea, is that a Battle Arc? Hell most of Alabasta wasn't about battles, Water 7 was mostly a Mystery arc, Thriller Bark wasn't about Battles

It's only Post Timeskip that Battles became more important than Adventure

@Mr. Anderson ]
It's a battle manga.
You don't need to be dbz for it to be considered battle manga or not.
Fanboys should stop fooling people, OP has always been a battle manga based on pirate adventure

If the fights were about powerlevel, we wouldn't be having these reactiins from top tiers or high tiers when someone loses. Even during battles you hear "im stronger, u can't beat me"
Most of the battles are determined by abilities and how well their used, not on who's stronger or not.

But i get your point

J

Jo_Ndule

Look at Skypiea, is that a Battle Arc? Hell most of Alabasta wasn't about battles, Water 7 was mostly a Mystery arc, Thriller Bark wasn't about Battles

It's only Post Timeskip that Battles became more important than Adventure
The goal has always been "meet the damsels and beat the villains "

Thats why I said NW has focused more on battles than adventure
OP has been a battle manga since the beginning, skypea/water 7 /Zou are exceptions where battles aren't really main factors but even then we get clashes or flashbacks of battles.

Yeah, those fans are delusional LOL
Also nakama powers .

This is why I don't understand why Oda gets a pass evrytime for doing Fairytail stuff sometimes

I enjoy OP, it's top 3 Manga wise to me
Pre ts Anime is top 5 for me.

But thinking OP is way different from Naruto/bleach...Lol

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
"I write ONE PIECE as dramatically as I can. If I had written a pure battle manga, it would have been easily defeated by Dragon Ball." ONE PIECE 10th Treasures (2007)

I think saying OP is a battle manga is like saying Gintama is a battle manga, Yeah, there are a lot of fights in both series, but it’s not the main point of them.

Fights in OP are there to resolve the drama, not just for the sake of fighting, like the way Dragon Ball was, where the Journey to the West adventure part was dumped relatively early on.

The goal has always been "meet the damsels and beat the villains "

Thats why I said NW has focused more on battles than adventure
OP has been a battle manga since the beginning, skypea/water 7 /Zou are exceptions where battles aren't really main factors but even then we get clashes or flashbacks of battles.

Also nakama powers .

This is why I don't understand why Oda gets a pass evrytime for doing Fairytail stuff sometimes

I enjoy OP, it's top 3 Manga wise to me
Pre ts Anime is top 5 for me.

But thinking OP is way different from Naruto/bleach...Lol
Those same fans who actually say "One Piece is about adventure not battles"
Give them 2-3 chapters of Sunny-go adventuring with sea creatures and have random ass shit... and people will be creating threads about "Oda lost his touch, he cannot create an interesting story" type of shit LOL

and people would be hating on Oda for it....

They specifically did the SAME SHIT with Oden's flashback.... the flashback was FILLED with adventure stuff... and characterization... and morality and codes...etc... and battles were skipped... the amount of hate the flashback got after that is UNBELIEVABLE

although not gonna lie, that flashback >>>>>>>> Law flashback... people can come at me and hate me for it LOL...

me while Law flashback was playing: When is it gonna end? I DON'T CARE ABOUT HIM or being a D.

Me in Oden's flashback: Don't end it fast Oda... do more!

LOL

LMAO
SnK and HxH too have their bad shit in writing too

But let me tell you why I put One Piece > than all of those 3 you mentioned.... without actually ruining the mood for other series you mentioned because I still enjoy them...

the reason you actually MENTIONED YOURSELF..... We both enjoy One Piece more.... it's just that simple
You can personally put OP above those series, that's your opinion and it's totally fine.

In terms of enjoyment I enjoy OP more than SnK, like I said, but not more than HxH.

If we want to talk about plot conveniences, logical writing, a quality powersystem etc. especially HxH is way better in those aspects compared to OP.

I don't think that's the right place to compare those series though, so I'll leave it at that.

The power creep here is fine imo.

We already knew long ago the type of power that the EOS straw hats will have. We were shown this through the admirals and Whitebeard in Marineford.

People keep complaining about Luffy hurting Kaido now but couldn’t earlier. I mean it’s kinda fair that he can now when he couldn’t earlier.

Luffy before udon only did physical surface damage. However now his new haki is capable of armor piercing which ignores some of
I would like to point out that Red Hawk does internal combustion damage without ryou.

It’s not too much of a stretch to say the Gear 3 version Red Roc works the same way. Meaning that Luffy may not have even used ryou.

See above.

Red roc needs ryou to work because it’s not like gear 2.
Gear 2 uses haki to combust his fist in flame through the use of vulcanization and the strong blood flow.
Gear 3 doesnt have the blood flow of gear 2. As such Luffy needs to increase the haki in order to reach the same effect as red Hawk on such a massive hand. It logically can’t be anything but ryou