Powers & Abilities Power Creep and Story Inconsistencies

90% of the OP arcs are structured more or less like that. That's fine for a shonen of course,
You say it like that makes it "lesser" or something. All stories/genres have formulas. Most authors in general have writing patterns. Just because you can point out one of One Piece's formulas doesn't somehow mean it's of "less" quality than anything else.

I didn’t say either of these things lmao.

Luffy damaging Kaido with Gear 3 after two weeks of training despite pounding him non-stop with Kong Organ...looks a lot like power creep to me.

Law, Zoro, and Killer competing with Yonko... looks a lot like power creep to me.
It's just that Luffy didn't have the means to hurt him before i.e ryuo. It's been made clear that just normal attacks don't affect him, idk why ppl think the problem was physical strength...

From looking at this thread it seems like a lot of people seem to think that "power creep" means "overpowered".

Those are not the same thing.

A series becoming "really powerful" IS NOT the same as power creep. Thats just normal power progression.

Some kind of "we have to save the world from some planetary threat" plot is common at the end of every shounen. If One Piece did the same that wouldn't be power creep.

Power Creep is when a series goes beyond its pre-defined limits. With One Piece there was never any such predefined limits. The power ceiling was always only ever "hinted" at. Never shown. Hence why Oda himself implies that Marineford will be cute during Wano and that by the Last Chapter Marineford will be nothing. The point being that, in his mind he hasn't really shown us anything yet.

It's not like Naruto or Dragonball where we already knew the limits of the verse and then they just kept endlessly sailing beyond it.

Characters getting stupid powerful is normal for shounen. Thats not power creep. It's only when the increase in power completely breaks the balance of the combat in the story that it becomes an issue. Thats power creep. It's things like Naurto's Chakra Cloak or the Super Saiyan Variations. Things whose very existence demand that you either have it, or you're worthless. Theres no power like that in One Piece.

Haki doesn't qualify as that because you can not have it and still be strong. Someone who has it can still lose to someone who doesn't. It's just more practical to use it and it's mitigated by the fact that everyone has access to it. The same thing can't be said of things like Super Saiyan Blue.
Post automatically merged:

and STILL Oda appeals to shounen cliches,
Cliches aren't inherently a bad thing. They don't automatically equate to "bad" just for existing in a story.

It's how they're used that matters.

When anyone say One Piece has great writing, they are always refering to those two aspects of the series lol.
No.

Theres actually a million and one other things that Oda is doing really well as a writer.

It's just that most casuals don't know about those things so they just default to phrases they're familiar with like "WoRlD bUILdiNG".

I've read thousands of manga myself and I'd still put One Piece way up there near the top. It excels both as a story and as a graphic novel.

Last edited:
From looking at this thread it seems like a lot of people seem to think that "power creep" means "overpowered".

Those are not the same thing.

A series becoming "really powerful" IS NOT the same as power creep. Thats just normal power progression.

Some kind of "we have to save the world from some planetary threat" plot is common at the end of every shounen. If One Piece did the same that wouldn't be power creep.

Power Creep is when a series goes beyond its pre-defined limits. With One Piece there was never any such predefined limits. The power ceiling was always only ever "hinted" at. Never shown. Hence why Oda himself implies that Marineford will cute during Wano and that by the Last Chapter Marineford will be nothing. The point being that, in his mind he hasn't really shown us anything yet.

It's not like Naruto or Dragonball where we already knew the limits of the verse and then they just kept endlessly sailing beyond it.

Characters getting stupid powerful is normal for shounen. Thats not power creep. It's only when the increase in power completely breaks the balance of the combat in the story that it becomes an issue. Thats power creep. It's things like Naurto's Chakra Cloak or the Super Saiyan Variations. Things whose very existence demand that you either have it, or you're worthless. Theres no power like that in One Piece.

Haki doesn't qualify as that because you can not have it and still be strong. Someone who has it can still lose to someone who doesn't. It's just more practical to use it and it's mitigated by the fact that everyone has access to it. The same thing can't be said of things like Super Saiyan Blue.

Cliches aren't inherently a bad thing. They don't automatically equate to "bad" just for existing in a story.

It's how they're used that matters.

No.

Theres actually a million and one other things that Oda is doing really well as a writer.

It's just that most casuals don't know about those things so they just default to phrases they're familiar with like "WoRlD bUILdiNG".

I've read thousands of manga myself and I'd still put One Piece way up there near the top. It excels both as a story and as a graphic novel.
Well, power creep can also mean simply updating characters to the newly established power limit without sufficient explanation, which is what i think is the main point of criticism behind this thread.
Which in this case is not true since we had the training over 2 years as basis precisely to prepare them for these power-ups.
So Zoro and Luffy are already out. Law´s ability has always ignored durability, so it does not apply to him remotely.

Which leaves Kid and Killer, and we have not seen anything yet how Oda will justify their participation.

Well, power creep can also mean simply updating characters to the newly established power limit without sufficient explanation,
Thats more of a symptom of power creep and not really power creep in itself.
Which leaves Kid and Killer, and we have not seen anything yet how Oda will justify their participation.
This isn't even an issue. We have no clue how strong Kidd & Killer really are. We've never seen their full strength.

So theres not really anything to justify.

yes. completely so.

we saw very early on what top tiers or commanders can do.
pre skip Zoro threw buildings. Luffy whipped 200t gold balls arround. Enel was about to blast an island into the ground etc.
Luffy leveled a part of Alabastas capitol in his final attack vs Croc. Zoro occasionally used ryou.

other than fancier drawing theres not much different now and then.
or you mean the anime? well the anime went DBZ for sure.

Thats more of a symptom of power creep and not really power creep in itself.
This isn't even an issue. We have no clue how strong Kidd & Killer really are. We've never seen their full strength.

So theres not really anything to justify.
Arbitrary distinction, extending the power limit is also a symptom.
Agreed, i did not justify it, i told you the OP is not only referring to Kaidou being a completely new power limit, but the guys that are supposed to beat them reaching that point by, from his point of view, non-satisfactory explanations.

After chapter 1000, I’m entirely convinced that One Piece is going down the same route as Dragon Ball and Naruto where the power creep for the main characters gets way too out of hand.

Am I overreacting or are my concerns legitimate?
Its not Luffy got there step by step he mastered the adv haki its better than DB and Naruto where you have just to scream or wait for a god to give you a power up