Character Discussion Why is Mihawk considered a pirate?

Mihawk has no crew and no territories (except his island, although it is abandoned). So why is he considered a danger to the world? His only goal is to find worthy rivals to beat them in duels. Why bother to send a fleet after him, knowing the casualties the Marines would take? Is it out of pride or fear of his power?

It's something that has always bothered me. What do you think?

Mihawk has no crew and no territories (except his island, although it is abandoned). So why is he considered a danger to the world? His only goal is to find worthy rivals to beat them in duels. Why bother to send a fleet after him, knowing the casualties the Marines would take? Is it out of pride or fear of his power?

It's something that has always bothered me. What do you think?
Mihawk travels the seas and is a danger because he can literally solo Navy fleets or towns by himself if he wanted to.

No one said what mihawk's goal is so not sure what's the basis of your fanfiction, I don't remember mihawk saying he never wanted to find One Piece or do other pirate stuffs, or I don't remember when they said mihawk never had a pirate crew. For example, moria had a crew, Kaido slaughtered all of them, then moria decided to use zombies. If someone slaughtered mihawk's crew, and if mihawk failed like moria in the past, then it's possible why he doesn't have a crew right now, since mihawk doesn't have the ability to create zombies like moria.

Kuma also doesn't have a crew, so mihawk is not even the only pirate Shichibukai who doesn't have a crew. Crocodile also didn't have a pirate crew when he was a Shichibukai, and since Baraque Works was a secret organisation, and it was not a pirate crew, and people didn't know publicly that Crocodile was the boss of Baroque Works. And from the new ones; Edward Weevil also doesn't have a crew, (except for his mother) so again, there are other examples of Shichibukai pirates who doesn't have crew.

Mihawk travels the seas and is a danger because he can literally solo Navy fleets or towns by himself if he wanted to.
Yes I know, but then Fujitora before becoming an Admiral could have been considered a threat, because if he wanted he could take out an entire fleet by himself. I believe that being powerful and not being part of the Marines should not be enough to be considered a pirate.

I think Mihawk needs a flashback so we can understand why he is considered a pirate.

Yes I know, but then Fujitora before becoming an Admiral could have been considered a threat, because if he wanted he could take out an entire fleet by himself. I believe that being powerful and not being part of the Marines should not be enough to be considered a pirate.

I think Mihawk needs a flashback so we can understand why he is considered a pirate.
False comparison. Where does it say Fujitora sailed the seas and attacked people before joining the Navy?

We know Mihawk has.

As a shiki he was a former pirate with a huge reputation, so big that he was recruited by the WG (look at other shikis like Croco, Doffy but also attempted ones like Ace). To build up his reputation the first thing we know are his duels with Shanks whoch "shock the grand line" yet to arrive to that point he had to build up his power and reputation. He most likely was a loner, but maybe he also was in a crew at a certain point, I don't know if he did evil acts, most likely nope, at elast willingly, but for sure had some big displays of power and that was enough to want to recruit him in the shiki (pretty much same as Ace, he was not an evildoer but a strong pirate so they tried to recruit him).

He now, along with all the other pirates, has been fired as a warlors and so the WG, to display his power, sent crews to capture all the former shikis. They can not permit their former allies who are now pirates again to just walz back to the pirate life like nothin happened. That would be a show of weakness by the WG. If on the cobtrary they can capture them all maybe using the new SSG weapon that would be instead a show of might.

Anyway they for sure are top tier pirates who are just below the yonkos (and that is a maybe for Mihawk) so letting them go wild would be like having a new rogue yonko level guy who can show at random places totally unannounced to take revenge and decimate them with a few slashes of his sword (what if Mihawk goes to Enies lobby or any other WG place with no admirals to protect it, even Impel down would be at risk), also the WG doesn't know if Mihawk wants to take revenge but the possibility is already frightening.

Also there are all the others who are threats as well: Boa and her amazons are a pirate group with multiple ships yet they have Amazon lily to defend as well, that can compare to a mini revo group or they can just join hands with the revos in exchange for protection from the WG (same Boa did with her shiki status). Weevil has a status similair to Mihawk (yet weaker and dumber, but still very dangerous) a rogue ticking bomb who can raze islands with his power alone. Buggy also has his pirate network and his crew should be quite strong, anyway if the WG believe his legends then he is very dangerous (Shanks-Mihawk level) etc. Also maybe they are in some WG secret knowledge the WG don't want them to spread.

S

Slash Slash BigSlash

No one said what mihawk's goal is so not sure what's the basis of your fanfiction, I don't remember mihawk saying he never wanted to find One Piece or do other pirate stuffs, or I don't remember when they said mihawk never had a pirate crew. For example, moria had a crew, Kaido slaughtered all of them, then moria decided to use zombies. If someone slaughtered mihawk's crew, and if mihawk failed like moria in the past, then it's possible why he doesn't have a crew right now, since mihawk doesn't have the ability to create zombies like moria.

Kuma also doesn't have a crew, so mihawk is not even the only pirate Shichibukai who doesn't have a crew. Crocodile also didn't have ''officially'' pirate crew when he was a Shichibukai, and since Baraque Works was a secret organisation and they were not a pirate crew. And from the new ones; Edward Weevil also doesn't have a crew, (except for his mother) so again, there are other examples of Shichibukai pirates who doesn't have crew.
Does it look from Mihawk's attitude that he is a silver medalist like yonkos.
The dude is suffering from success, He has already achieved his dream unlike some other failures in OP verse.
His bigest problem is his boredom, not some five Worstgen kids.

pretty much same as Ace, he was not an evildoer but a strong pirate so they tried to recruit him).
The difference is that Mihawk doesn’t even have a pirate Flag

pirate flags are sort of a big deal because it seems Pirates have this inherent pride never to lower their flags even if having a pirate flag is the specific identifier of pirates

Mihawk has none of the regular pirate things but he also has NO FLAG and NO PIRATE AMBITIONS

Just going after the one piece makes you a pirate. Just going after the poneglyphs makes you a pirate. No matter what you do, having taboo ambitions just make you a pirate

mihawk has none of that. As far as we know, he’s just a really strong vagabond
Post automatically merged:

It's pretty simple.

He earned a bounty in the first place, this alone provides a good reason.
@Finalbeta

I guess the question is why did he earn a bounty in the first place.

Does it look from Mihawk's attitude that he is a silver medalist like yonkos.
The dude is suffering from success, He has already achieved his dream unlike some other failures in OP verse.
His bigest problem is his boredom, not some five Worstgen kids.
Do I need to repeat for you to understand? :kriwhat:

- Who said pirate Mihawk's dream was being strongest swordsman? lmao What fanfiction is this? You must be confusing him with Zoro.

- His boredom is not the problem, his cowardice is, when Shanks challenged everyone he was the first one to escape from Marineford. He was afraid of finishing his fight with Vista and Crocodile. He didn’t want to fight Jozu, let alone someone stronger like Marco or Whitebeard. His boredom must be related to his cowardice because he allied himself with marines against Yonko Whitebeard and still failed to do anything against Yonko. And whenever Yonko Shanks challenges him to fight he escapes. He was being a messenger boy to his superior Shanks informing him about Luffy. He fights fodders like Don Krieg, pre-ts Luffy and East Blue Zoro instead. He even apologized from his superior Yonko Shanks before attacking pre-ts Luffy but he still failed against Vista and Crocodile, they owned him.

Read One Piece not Zoro Piece.

S

Slash Slash BigSlash

Do I need to repeat for you to understand? :kriwhat:

- Who said pirate Mihawk's dream was being strongest swordsman? lmao What fanfiction is this? You must be confusing him with Zoro.

- His boredom is not the problem, his cowardice is, when Shanks challenged everyone he was the first one to escape from Marineford. He was afraid of finishing his fight with Vista and Crocodile. He didn’t want to fight Jozu, let alone someone stronger like Marco or Whitebeard. His boredom must be related to his cowardice because he allied himself with marines against Yonko Whitebeard and still failed to do anything against Yonko. And whenever Yonko Shanks challenges him to fight he escapes. He was being a messenger boy to his superior Shanks informing him about Luffy. He fights fodders like Don Krieg, pre-ts Luffy and East Blue Zoro instead.

Read One Piece not Zoro Piece.
What the actual, Dude have you ever read any story with the little bit of nuance. It doesn't even look like you have even read One Piece, just some dodgy summary. I can't wrap my head around how does somebody comes to this conclusion. :nicagesmile:

Here is my theory, I think people just put bounties on Mihawk and the marines took it up.

by this I mean, there’s a specific type of role that the marines SHOULD have but we’ve never seen them actually have. That’s extradition.

If for example Higuma the Bear from Luffy’s village were to manage to escape into the sea after killing Luffy, even without a pirate flag, he becomes the marines responsibility. If Goa kingdom only has an army and no navy, then it becomes the Marine’s responsibility to hunt down Higuma since Goa is part of the World government so the services of the Marines should extend to them even if Higuma isn’t actually a pirate. Since Higuma is on the sea, the marines would have to be the ones to Capture him and extradite him back to Goa kingdom to be punished in Goa.

I think this is what happened with Mihawk.

mihawk Defeated whoever was the strongest swordsman on his home island and according to who that was and how the fight went, Mihawk could’ve easily become wanted by his own Country’s government. And even if he didn’t get a bounty from this like maybe it was a fair duel that was recognized by the public, the fact that mihawk decided to go to sea to beat other countries’ strongest swordsmen increases the chance that he eventually would get a bounty like this.

imagine this, Mihawk arrives at some island and finds their strongest swordsman and tells them he wants a fight. He doesn’t say “a fight to the death”, he just says a a fight. The strongest swordsman knowing he’s the strongest is arrogant and just accepts. He gets beaten and then
1) is killed and immediately Mihawk gets a murder charge
2) gets severely injured and goes to complain to his government that he was attacked abruptly
3) gets defeated and forced to submit with little injury but then has a vendetta against mihawk and tries a sneak attack and gets killed or he goes and complains again to his government and makes some shit up to make Them give Mihawk a bounty

what I’m saying is there’s not many Zoro type people in the world who would just take getting defeated so honorably especially if they were already the strongest on their island and were proud of their strength

And if Mihawk kept doing this for like dozens of islands ALL OVER the world and a number of those Islands were part of the World Government, every time Mihawk escaped to sea, he would become the Marines’ problem and even if he hasn’t done pirate stuff, he still has extradition on his head from multiple countries and the marines job is extradition

basically Mihawk’s bounty is entirely built on grudges since he’s going around crippling multiple countries’ armies since he keeps defeating their best men.

And After a while the marines realized they couldn’t catch the guy and just gave up and made him a warlord. Or he just got tired of beating chased and offered the marines his services as long as they stopped chasing him and he could keep going around beating everybody.

If you notice, in this scenario, Mihawk never has to even beat one marine. Not even destroying a single Marine ship. He just has to has to not get caught while still racking up multiple bounties all over the world. And since we know random people like Issho and Greedbull can exist on random islands all over the world, Mihawk isn’t just fighting fodder, he could legit be beating people who are the lynch pin to a country’s military power. Like he finds a country where their big military hero is an Issho type guy and beating just that guy and possibly injuring him beyond being able to fight again, completely throws off the country’s military and then once again bounty for extradition is put on him.

Therefore as an example, this is how Mihawk’s bounty would be formed. (I’m gonna say it’s 2 billion). Consider that a low level bandit in East blue could get 8 million bounty.

The Navy trying and failing to catch him-30 million

+

20 WG allied countries put bounties of minimum 80 million on his head. I’m using 20 countries because there’s 170 countries in the WG and Mihawk traveling the world could have easily managed to find 20 with reasonable people to beat. I’m also using 50 million because we saw that Dressrosa, a “poor country” can manage to make 10 billion and Nico robin said 500 million is enough to buy a small country. So it’s clear that Dressrosa being “poor” is in regards to being a World government Ally. A poor WG country is different from just a plain poor country. Therefore 80 million for a bounty is reasonable for a WG country. So we have 1.6 billion.

+

30 Non Allied countries put bounties of like 10 million on his head. I’m using 10 million again because Poor countries but it’s possible for some countries not to be poor and not in the WG. The marines aren’t actually obligated to these countries so they don’t have to actually consider these bounties BUT since they can’t ignore that this happened, they’ll just take half. So only 150 million comes from this sine it’s just portrayal and the marines don’t have to consider it.

+

General hype around his strength since the Marines know he’s the Strongest swordsman will add in the remaining 220 million.

There we have 2 billion made from simply fighting people and evading the marines without any explicit pirate behavior of any kind.

And I’m saying it’s 2 billion AFTER the warlords have been abolished since in this case, Countries that previously could not give Mihawk a bounty since he’s a government agent now get the right to give him a bounty. By that I mean among those 20 WG countries, a number of them had Mihawk walk in and destroy their best men but since Mihawk was Warlord, they couldn’t do shit until now.

@Mochiman

Last edited: