Character Discussion Why is Mihawk considered a pirate?

Mihawk travels the seas and is a danger because he can literally solo Navy fleets or towns by himself if he wanted to.
so can any rogue Admiral or guys like Kyros etc.
strength alone does not make one a pirate. or a danger to anyone for that matter.
its not illegal to be strong.

Mihawk must have done something that has marked him as an outlaw.
my best bet is he challenged Marines and Pirates alike without question and ended up offing someone affiliated with the WG.

retiring from a former bounty just is not happening I guess.

Last edited:
When Mihawk started acting Doffy and Akainu were shown getting surprised that Mihawk was even doing anything
Ah it was Anime only, that's why I didn't remember it from the manga.
Post automatically merged:

When Mihawk started acting Doffy and Akainu were shown getting surprised that Mihawk was even doing anything
Ah it was Anime only, that's why I didn't remember it from the manga.

Finalbeta

Zoro Worshipper
There are so many feasible scenarios we don't know where to commence with. The moment you pick a choice you realize it could of been several other possibilities.

Like you say Marine, but there's WG too, you say independent piracy, but even funnily being part of a crew is technically possible, which I labeled as unlikely however.

Actually no, Mihawk was introduced being a deterrent to pirates. Which is his job

Remember the government wants him to destroy other pirates. In fact that’s what the government sells all the warlords as, deterrents to other pirates

mihawk destroying krieg is in effect the same as a marine destroying krieg. It’s State Sanctioned Violence

What I mean is Mihawk could not have become famous without a goal. By that I mean in One piece you need ambition to become famous unless you’re royalty. Mihawk was shown as a kid being disheveled like a street urchin so he did not become famous by accident. Mihawk had a goal that he was specifically striving for and his achievements in obtaining that goal are what made him famous.

so if he became a pirate AFTER Roger died, why did he? Mihawk already had a goal that he was clearly already on the path of achieving since he was already famous so why did he become a pirate in this case? Is piracy suddenly required for him to achieve his goal yet he was already famous BEFORE he was a pirate?
Yasopp was famous long before he became a Pirate also. It was because of that fame, that warranted Shanks seeking him out to ask him to join his crew. Zoro was famous in East Blue as well, which is how Luffy learned about him. Mihawk being famous before the great Pirate age, doesn't mean he was yet World renowned.

If you have all these people inspired at Roger's execution to go out and become Pirates to make a name for themselves, that is prime people for Mihawk to seek out and challenge, so why wouldn't he want to take to the sea as a Pirate to look for those who have also taken to sea as Pirates due to Roger's execution, which allows him to move closer to his goal?

And yes, you're correct, part of Mihawks job as a Shichibukai is to be a deterrent to Pirates. The Shichbukai, who are Government sanctioned Pirates, that are allowed to be in that position in exchange for a cut of their profits they make from Piracy. When we first learn about this, Mihawk is the one used as a reference.

Are you trying to say that the Pirate who is used to lay the foundation for what the Shichibukai is, is not actually a Pirate? Why would Oda explain this to the readers like that, and make Mihawk the basis for this standard if he wasn't actually a Pirate? That makes no sense from a narrative perspective. It'd be like if Oda used Whitebeard for the first time to set a standard for the Yonko (which he did), who are the Four great Pirates of the Sea, and it turns out Whitebeard isn't a Pirate.

he want to take to the sea as a Pirate
This is the point of dicussion dude. What does "Take to the sea as a pirate" mean???

We know Mihawk is a pirate but what does that mean when it comes to Mihawk. Thats the discussionof the thread. Some people think he beat an admiral in the past, Some other people think he once wanted to become pirate king for some reason, others like me think he is a pirate simply because people hate him and just decided to call him a pirate even though he doesnt actually do any pirate things.

The reason this thread exists is to discuss why someone who doesnt do pirate things is still called a pirate. I bring up that Mihawk was famous before being called a pirate because I believe Mihawk could've achieved his goal without ever doing any pirate things. But along the way, people just called him a pirate and thats it.

I do not think Mihawk ever "took to sea as a pirate" because nothing about being a pirate is required for his dream and clearly since he was famous already, its very likely other people just labeled him a pirate as propaganda and he didnt care to correct anyone.

I made a thread as a breakdown of how that would happen. Mihawk finds a strong country that is under the WG, he challanges all their best men, (I mean its a fair challenge where the men could refuse if they want), then Mihawk BEATS them and its possible some even get killed but it was still a fair challenge, but then the country's government gets pissed and puts a bounty on Mihawk's head. Mihawk escapes to the sea and since the country is in the WG, they tell the Marines to go after Mihawk on their behalf and the bounty gets transfered to the Marines and so the Marines have to label Mihawk as a pirate in order to chase him. Done. Mihawk is a pirate just like that.

I bring up this scenario because again, nothing about Mihawk's behaviour or goals or anything shows he for some reason actively wanted to be called a pirate or whatever like you insist. thats why the thread exists. what does "take to sea as a pirate" even matter to Mihawk?

This is the point of dicussion dude. What does "Take to the sea as a pirate" mean???

We know Mihawk is a pirate but what does that mean when it comes to Mihawk. Thats the discussionof the thread. Some people think he beat an admiral in the past, Some other people think he once wanted to become pirate king for some reason, others like me think he is a pirate simply because people hate him and just decided to call him a pirate even though he doesnt actually do any pirate things.

The reason this thread exists is to discuss why someone who doesnt do pirate things is still called a pirate. I bring up that Mihawk was famous before being called a pirate because I believe Mihawk could've achieved his goal without ever doing any pirate things. But along the way, people just called him a pirate and thats it.

I do not think Mihawk ever "took to sea as a pirate" because nothing about being a pirate is required for his dream and clearly since he was famous already, its very likely other people just labeled him a pirate as propaganda and he didnt care to correct anyone.

I made a thread as a breakdown of how that would happen. Mihawk finds a strong country that is under the WG, he challanges all their best men, (I mean its a fair challenge where the men could refuse if they want), then Mihawk BEATS them and its possible some even get killed but it was still a fair challenge, but then the country's government gets pissed and puts a bounty on Mihawk's head. Mihawk escapes to the sea and since the country is in the WG, they tell the Marines to go after Mihawk on their behalf and the bounty gets transfered to the Marines and so the Marines have to label Mihawk as a pirate in order to chase him. Done. Mihawk is a pirate just like that.

I bring up this scenario because again, nothing about Mihawk's behaviour or goals or anything shows he for some reason actively wanted to be called a pirate or whatever like you insist. thats why the thread exists. what does "take to sea as a pirate" even matter to Mihawk?
Where is it stated or inferred anywhere in the manga, that Mihawk doesn't do Pirate things? In fact, it's quite the exact opposite. I already pointed out one in a previous post about Criminal acts via ship. He is introduced in the Manga as a Shichibukai, are are directly stated to be Pirates. With the abolition of the Shichibukai system, the Marines are directly going after him. Not something they would be doing if they feel like he isn't a direct threat to the safety of civilian life.

You act like Oda has to show Mihawk out there robbing and stealing in order for him to be a Pirate, when he doesn't have to do any of that. We never saw Whitebeard, Big Mom, or Kaido doing any "Pirate things" prior to their character arcs, but that didn't change the fact that they are Pirates. Mihawks time in the story will come for us to learn about his past. Right now we must go off the information given to us, and that information says he's a Pirate.

Thisisnt a criminal act. He was state sanctioned to destroy that ship.

Are you saying if a marine came up and destroyed Krieg's ship, he would be arrested?

Its not a criminal act for Mihawk to do what the government wants him to do. Crimes are when you do what the government DOESNT WANT. Did the government want him to destriy Krieg's ship? Yes or no?
Right now we must go off the information given to us, and that information says he's a Pirate.
This is the last time i'm saying this. No one is arguing that Mihawk isnt a pirate. We know he is. DOne. Do you understand. We know he is. good. i hope you got that.

WHat this thread is discussing is WHAT PIRATE THINGS DOES MIHAWK DO? Thats the point of discussion. And i'm arguing that Mihawk doesnt pilage or loot. Yes, Oda hasnt stated as a fact that he doesn't do this, but i can argue he doesnt. This is a forum. You present evidence for arguments and you argue. I have direct evidence that Mihawk does not pilage or loot. The evidence is that Mihawk doesnt own anything. He's a vagabond who squats in places where no one lives and even grows his own food. This man DOES NOT EVEN STEAL FOOD. HE GROWS HIS OWN.

So there you have it, i've made an argument that actually matters to this thread. The thread is not "Mihawk is not a pirate", the thread is " Mihawk is a pirate but what exactly makes him a pirate". We are speculating. And i just gave you an argument against Mihawk being a looter being the reason he's a pirate. Now you can give counterarguments with evidence on that topic. Not on "Oda said hes a pirate so we assume hes done every pirate thing". Thats a weak statement to make.

Yasopp was famous long before he became a Pirate also. It was because of that fame, that warranted Shanks seeking him out to ask him to join his crew. Zoro was famous in East Blue as well, which is how Luffy learned about him. Mihawk being famous before the great Pirate age, doesn't mean he was yet World renowned.

If you have all these people inspired at Roger's execution to go out and become Pirates to make a name for themselves, that is prime people for Mihawk to seek out and challenge, so why wouldn't he want to take to the sea as a Pirate to look for those who have also taken to sea as Pirates due to Roger's execution, which allows him to move closer to his goal?

And yes, you're correct, part of Mihawks job as a Shichibukai is to be a deterrent to Pirates. The Shichbukai, who are Government sanctioned Pirates, that are allowed to be in that position in exchange for a cut of their profits they make from Piracy. When we first learn about this, Mihawk is the one used as a reference.

Are you trying to say that the Pirate who is used to lay the foundation for what the Shichibukai is, is not actually a Pirate? Why would Oda explain this to the readers like that, and make Mihawk the basis for this standard if he wasn't actually a Pirate? That makes no sense from a narrative perspective. It'd be like if Oda used Whitebeard for the first time to set a standard for the Yonko (which he did), who are the Four great Pirates of the Sea, and it turns out Whitebeard isn't a Pirate.
It's all mental gymnastics to try and exclude Mihawk from the whole "..4 greatest pirates.." thing by Garp.

Thisisnt a criminal act. He was state sanctioned to destroy that ship.

Are you saying if a marine came up and destroyed Krieg's ship, he would be arrested?

Its not a criminal act for Mihawk to do what the government wants him to do. Crimes are when you do what the government DOESNT WANT. Did the government want him to destriy Krieg's ship? Yes or no?

This is the last time i'm saying this. No one is arguing that Mihawk isnt a pirate. We know he is. DOne. Do you understand. We know he is. good. i hope you got that.

WHat this thread is discussing is WHAT PIRATE THINGS DOES MIHAWK DO? Thats the point of discussion. And i'm arguing that Mihawk doesnt pilage or loot. Yes, Oda hasnt stated as a fact that he doesn't do this, but i can argue he doesnt. This is a forum. You present evidence for arguments and you argue. I have direct evidence that Mihawk does not pilage or loot. The evidence is that Mihawk doesnt own anything. He's a vagabond who squats in places where no one lives and even grows his own food. This man DOES NOT EVEN STEAL FOOD. HE GROWS HIS OWN.

So there you have it, i've made an argument that actually matters to this thread. The thread is not "Mihawk is not a pirate", the thread is " Mihawk is a pirate but what exactly makes him a pirate". We are speculating. And i just gave you an argument against Mihawk being a looter being the reason he's a pirate. Now you can give counterarguments with evidence on that topic. Not on "Oda said hes a pirate so we assume hes done every pirate thing". Thats a weak statement to make.
Again, how do you know Mihawk doesn't pillage or loot? The guy has been doing this for 20+ years. How does he sustain his lifestyle? How does he make money when he is out on sea? Have you seen the boat Mihawk travels on? Growing his food on his own Island does nothing for him when he is away from his Island for weeks, or even months.

If the Government doesn't view him as a threat to society for being a Pirate, then why are they actively hunting him now that the Shichibukai system is abolished? If he doesn't engage in Pirate activity like you believe, then why is the World Government so adamant about taking him off the seas, now that he is not sanctioned by them?

The only logical explanation is that he engages in criminal activity that he is not allowed to get away with without the protection of the Shichibukai title. Now that, that is stripped from him, he is a wanted criminal.

You're not bringing any sound argument to add to the topic of the thread. You're just defending him using flimsy reasoning that the few times we've actually seen the dude he wasn't shown to be "doing Pirate things.". The fact that the guy is branded a Pirate is much more justification to argue that he engages in Pirate activity, than assuming he doesn't, just because of the limited screen time we've seen of him. So let me ask you, what do YOU think Mihawk does that makes the World consider him a Pirate, since you don't believe he engages in Pirate activity?

Last edited:

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
Again, how do you know Mihawk doesn't pillage or loot? The guy has been doing this for 20+ years. How does he sustain his lifestyle? How does he make money when he is out on sea? Have you seen the boat Mihawk travels on? Growing his food on his own Island does nothing for him when he is away from his Island for weeks, or even months.

If the Government doesn't view him as a threat to society for being a Pirate, then why are they actively hunting him now that the Shichibukai system is abolished? If he doesn't engage in Pirate activity like you believe, then why is the World Government so adamant about taking him off the seas, now that he is not sanctioned by them?

The only logical explanation is that he engages in criminal activity that he is not allowed to get away with without the protection of the Shichibukai title. Now that, that is stripped from him, he is a wanted criminal.

You're not bringing any sound argument to add to the topic of the thread. You're just defending him using flimsy reasoning that the few times we've actually seen the dude he wasn't shown to be "doing Pirate things.". The fact that the guy is branded a Pirate is much more justification to argue that he engages in Pirate activity, than assuming he doesn't, just because of the limited screen time we've seen of him. So let me ask you, what do YOU think Mihawk does that makes the World consider him a Pirate, since you don't believe he engages in Pirate activity?
eh ? the government chase anyone with a bounty that doesnt just mean pirates higuma was bandit the revos also have bounties.
Neither are pirates. Mihawk doesnt even fit the in verse definition of a pirate which is anyone who raises a jolly roger, he doesnt even have one, nor a ship nor a crew.

eh ? the government chase anyone with a bounty that doesnt just mean pirates higuma was bandit the revos also have bounties.
Neither are pirates. Mihawk doesnt even fit the in verse definition of a pirate which is anyone who raises a jolly roger, he doesnt even have one, nor a ship nor a crew.
Considering Mihawk is a wanted criminal and is neither a Bandit nor a revolutionary, and he held the rank of Shichibukai, which are defined in verse to be Pirates, it's a pretty open and shut case. The Happo Navy don't have a Jolly Roger, and they're pirates. The Germa 66 aren't Pirates, but Mercenaries, and yet they have a Jolly Roger.

And honestly, I don't see the need for why Mihawk would need a Jolly Roger, when he is just a single man. He's not representing a crew, but himself, and individuals can be Pirates.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
Considering Mihawk is a wanted criminal and is neither a Bandit nor a revolutionary, and he held the rank of Shichibukai, which are defined in verse to be Pirates, it's a pretty open and shut case. The Happo Navy don't have a Jolly Roger, and they're pirates. The Germa 66 aren't Pirates, but Mercenaries, and yet they have a Jolly Roger.

And honestly, I don't see the need for why Mihawk would need a Jolly Roger, when he is just a single man. He's not representing a crew, but himself, and individuals can be Pirates.
Again no. Pirate =/= all criminal
There could be a number of reasons he has a bounty without alluding to piracy.
Chinjao deffo had a jolly roger when he sailed as a pirate.
Unlike the others hes not once been referred to as a pirate outside the warlord bubble.