Character Discussion Why is Mihawk considered a pirate?

The difference is that Mihawk doesn’t even have a pirate Flag

pirate flags are sort of a big deal because it seems Pirates have this inherent pride never to lower their flags even if having a pirate flag is the specific identifier of pirates

Mihawk has none of the regular pirate things but he also has NO FLAG and NO PIRATE AMBITIONS

Just going after the one piece makes you a pirate. Just going after the poneglyphs makes you a pirate. No matter what you do, having taboo ambitions just make you a pirate

mihawk has none of that. As far as we know, he’s just a really strong vagabond
I can agree on that to a point, Mihawk doesn't care about pirates, WG etc. As long as he get to fight strong swordsmen who can give him a challenge. Yet like you stated later Mihawk killing somebody or more simply making collateral damage (even 1% of his frozen wave slasher in a city would be a disaster) are enough to put a bounty on him. Also, even without that, when you become so big that you can't be ignored anymore you have to take a side. When there is a guy on the level of Shanks and the other emperors roaming around without any allianges you have to put him on your side or be clear if he is an enemy, you can't just consider such a big force as something neutral, or he is with you under some sort of agreement or he is an enemy.

The most rational conclusion is that he set out to sea after that to become a Pirate like many others who were there.
Actually Mihawk is stated to have been famous BEFORE The great pirate Era.

which is kind of the same for everyone there. We know Doffy and Dragon were already doing shit before 20 years ago. It’s crocodile and Moria who aren’t confirmed to have been doing something. But given the fact that neither Crocodile nor Moria are from East blue yet they were present in loguutoen, that means they must have also been pirates to have managed to reach east blue from other blues. Honestly it seems like Only Shanks and buggy are stated to have started their crews after Roger died. Everyone else seemed to be started already

Notice that even when they state “Mihawk was famous before the great pirate era”, they never mention Mihawk was a pirate

there’s other ways to become famous as besides being a pirate.

Actually Mihawk is stated to have been famous BEFORE The great pirate Era.

which is kind of the same for everyone there. We know Doffy and Dragon were already doing shit before 20 years ago. It’s crocodile and Moria who aren’t confirmed to have been doing something. But given the fact that neither Crocodile nor Moria are from East blue yet they were present in loguutoen, that means they must have also been pirates to have managed to reach east blue from other blues. Honestly it seems like Only Shanks and buggy are stated to have started their crews after Roger died. Everyone else seemed to be started already

Notice that even when they state “Mihawk was famous before the great pirate era”, they never mention Mihawk was a pirate

there’s other ways to become famous as besides being a pirate.
That doesn't detract from my point, but actually further strengthens it. Mihawk, who was already famous, witnesses Roger's execution which inspired the Great Pirate Era, and in turn inspires him to become a Pirate also, which is how he ends up becoming a member of the shichibukai, who are Government sanctioned Pirates.

Pirate is a very general term for someone who fares the sea without necessarily being bound to its obligations or the obligations of where they land.
This, pretty much. I was always under the impression that pirate is a loose term for someone who declares themselves unbeholden to the World Government. Regardless of whether or not you have a crew or act like a pirate.

Everything you've just said is headcanon.
Post automatically merged:

I've theorized he was a subordinate of a famous pirate captain like Rocks.
I always theorized that Mihawk was a part of some crew where he either outgrew his captain and left or the crew fell apart and he never decided to build his own. Hell it's possible he did have a crew but they disbanded after he became a warlord for whatever reason.

But then what does he mean?

mid he was famous without being a pirate meaning he had a goal he was after before being a pirate

What exactly does he do after Rogers death that now officially makes him a pirate and why does he do it if he already has a goal to go towards? Does becoming a pirate somehow help his previous goal?
I'm not following you. Why does he need to have some end goal to be a pirate, or why does it have to help his previous goal?

Mihawk was literally introduced committing an act of Piracy, by performing a criminal act of violence via boat on another boat. The man is a Pirate.....

I'm not following you. Why does he need to have some end goal to be a pirate, or why does it have to help his previous goal?

Mihawk was literally introduced committing an act of Piracy, by performing a criminal act of violence via boat on another boat. The man is a Pirate.....
Actually no, Mihawk was introduced being a deterrent to pirates. Which is his job

Remember the government wants him to destroy other pirates. In fact that’s what the government sells all the warlords as, deterrents to other pirates

mihawk destroying krieg is in effect the same as a marine destroying krieg. It’s State Sanctioned Violence

What I mean is Mihawk could not have become famous without a goal. By that I mean in One piece you need ambition to become famous unless you’re royalty. Mihawk was shown as a kid being disheveled like a street urchin so he did not become famous by accident. Mihawk had a goal that he was specifically striving for and his achievements in obtaining that goal are what made him famous.

so if he became a pirate AFTER Roger died, why did he? Mihawk already had a goal that he was clearly already on the path of achieving since he was already famous so why did he become a pirate in this case? Is piracy suddenly required for him to achieve his goal yet he was already famous BEFORE he was a pirate?

The question underlines that people have failed to understand what pirates are in context of One Piece and its world.
But Mihawk is unique even in context of other pirates

The closest thing we have to compare to mihawk is Kuma but even he was at least a revolutionary so he was an enemy of the government is some sense... But what did Mihawk ever do directly to the government then?

I always theorized that Mihawk was a part of some crew where he either outgrew his captain and left or the crew fell apart and he never decided to build his own. Hell it's possible he did have a crew but they disbanded after he became a warlord for whatever reason.
Mihawk seems to be a pirate captain without a crew and has a riffraff as his apparent ship. In conjunction to his pocket knife, Mihawk needs so little to be a terror, but without a crew and followers, he lacks the means to be an Emperor.

Zolo

Cope Doctor
Like it’s WWE wrestling rules

Mihawk Snuck into the ring as Shanks had just won the WSS title belt and hit him with a metal chair, Shanks drops the belt Mihawk grabs it and runs out the Ring with the WAS belt and the commentators are running wild

You imagine this is how it happened?
Probably shanks just didnt want to deal with mihawks bullshit, gave him the title and was in peace... I would be mad too if fodder was constantly picking fights with me

But Mihawk is unique even in context of other pirates

The closest thing we have to compare to mihawk is Kuma but even he was at least a revolutionary so he was an enemy of the government is some sense... But what did Mihawk ever do directly to the government then?
Symbolic of setting out to sea under your own banner = freedom in One Piece.
People who do not conform to the established values around them but are setting out to find themselves and establish their own standard = criminals in the government´s eyes.

Basically you stick out like a sore thumb by trying to establish yourself beyond the limits of what the government sees as legitimate.
Norland, as a contrast, was a botanist under a king of a kingdom which was member of the WG, and he also got permission to enter the Grandline from the World Government.

The distinction between revos, pirates and generic criminals is based on that.
Revos are clear, they are consciously and directly targeting the WG.
Difference between pirates and criminals are based on what i said above, especially the sea part. WG basically claims the seas for themselves, anybody not fitting their tight limits are pirates.
Normal criminals are basically island based, so break national law and have no such claim for themselves.
I think Barto and Bege underline this pretty well. Both were criminals on their respective island or Blues, but still were considered rookies since they set out to sea in terms of pirates.

How does one “give the title” to someone else? Is there a belt?

Symbolic of setting out to sea under your own banner = freedom in One Piece.
People who do not conform to the established values around them but are setting out to find themselves and establish their own standard = criminals in the government´s eyes.

Basically you stick out like a sore thumb by trying to establish yourself beyond the limits of what the government sees as legitimate.
Norland, as a contrast, was a botanist under a king of a kingdom which was member of the WG, and he also got permission to enter the Grandline from the World Government.

The distinction between revos, pirates and generic criminals is based on that.
Revos are clear, they are consciously and directly targeting the WG.
Difference between pirates and criminals are based on what i said above, especially the sea part. WG basically claims the seas for themselves, anybody not fitting their tight limits are pirates.
Normal criminals are basically island based, so break national law and have no such claim for themselves.
I think Barto and Bege underline this pretty well. Both were criminals on their respective island or Blues, but still were considered rookies since they set out to sea in terms of pirates.
@ShinmenTakezo
I mean that’s all philosophical and all but people don’t get bounties because of philosophy

Actions give people bounties. Simply being on the ocean according to you is an act of piracy and that’s fine. But then what would the bounty be for Simply being on the Ocean? 10 million berries? Is that Mihawk’s bounty then?

let me give you a scenario, let’s assume Mihawk has 2 billion Berries as his bounty. With your philosophy of how pirates and such work, and your understanding of Mihawk’s character, how would Mihawk attain such a bounty?

if 2 billion is too high then pick another number and give your assessment on how he would reach that

How does one “give the title” to someone else? Is there a belt?

@ShinmenTakezo
I mean that’s all philosophical and all but people don’t get bounties because of philosophy

Actions give people bounties. Simply being on the ocean according to you is an act of piracy and that’s fine. But then what would the bounty be for Simply being on the Ocean? 10 million berries? Is that Mihawk’s bounty then?

let me give you a scenario, let’s assume Mihawk has 2 billion Berries as his bounty. With your philosophy of how pirates and such work, and your understanding of Mihawk’s character, how would Mihawk attain such a bounty?

if 2 billion is too high then pick another number and give your assessment on how he would reach that
Philosophy is the core of all.

Mihawk beat countless of people on his journey, that´s where his bounty come from.
We have only followed someone who immediately jumped to being the best of his origin Blue, how it normally works is not highlighted further.

Strength, which is indicated by the people he beat or at least tied against.

When did this happen may I ask.
Anime, they needed to stretch the episode, hyping Mihawk before the slash was an opportunity.