Manga/anime differences

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Hahaha even reading it makes me laugh. It has a slow pace, but those silly background sounds and EXACTLY those ridiculous close ups are what is supposed to make it funny. You might not think they are because humor is subjective, but it was what they were aiming for.

You're taking it seriously by saying it took away from Kaido beating Luffy and devaluing the themes. It did nothing of the sorts. If anything it amplified Luffy's carelessness swiftly followed by a wake up call. That is a good way to do it.
You said it yourself; you found it funny because of how ridiculous it was. The aim wasnt to make the scene funnier, but to hit the 20 minute mark(its also why each episode has a 6 minute recap). If a scene is supposed to be serious but ends up looking funny for the wrong reasons, then it was done poorly. In DBZS, people say the funniest fight was Goku vs Beerus on Kai's planet....there was barely any comedy in that fight but everyone laughed at the whole thing because of how poor the animation was.

And the Urashima drag on(and Batman) did take away from Luffy vs Kaido. It was to show how powerful Kaido was but it doesnt mean much when Luffy with FS couldnt even overpower Batman.

You said it yourself; you found it funny because of how ridiculous it was. The aim wasnt to make the scene funnier, but to hit the 20 minute mark(its also why each episode has a 6 minute recap). If a scene is supposed to be serious but ends up looking funny for the wrong reasons, then it was done poorly. In DBZS, people say the funniest fight was Goku vs Beerus on Kai's planet....there was barely any comedy in that fight but everyone laughed at the whole thing because of how poor the animation was.

And the Urashima drag on(and Batman) did take away from Luffy vs Kaido. It was to show how powerful Kaido was but it doesnt mean much when Luffy with FS couldnt even overpower Batman.
Why... Why do you think it was supposed to be serious? Just read this: a sumo match in One Piece. A sumo match. In One Piece. It's not meant serious at all.

I'm not saying it wasn't dragged on additionally for minutes, but it was also dragged for the original comedic intent.

Couldn't overpower Batman or didn't care to? ;)

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Why... Why do you think it was supposed to be serious? Just read this: a sumo match in One Piece. A sumo match. In One Piece. It's not meant serious at all.

I'm not saying it wasn't dragged on additionally for minutes, but it was also dragged for the original comedic intent.

Couldn't overpower Batman or didn't care to? ;)
What? The manga didnt treat the fight seriously at all. The anime did with it's very dramatic clash, tug of war and close ups of Luffy looking serious. And it was dragged on to hit the 20 minutes deadline. There is literally no way to defend 3 minutes of repeated images with no changes to the original which passage of time consists of around 20 seconds.

And obviously Luffy couldn't overpower Batman. And you cant label everything as being the purpose is to milk the series for as long a possible.

What? The manga didnt treat the fight seriously at all. The anime did with it's very dramatic clash, tug of war and close ups of Luffy looking serious. And it was dragged on to hit the 20 minutes deadline. There is literally no way to defend 3 minutes of repeated images with no changes to the original which passage of time consists of around 20 seconds.

And obviously Luffy couldn't overpower Batman. And you cant label everything as being the purpose is to milk the series for as long a possible.
Yes, the manga didn't treat it seriously. The anime didn't either? All those things you named like close ups and Luffy being serious was supposed to make it funny. If you think the anime was trying to make it serious, then all we can do is agree to disagree.

Edit: ALSO the whole point of a different media form is to add things which couldn't be shown on a couple of pages.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Yes, the manga didn't treat it seriously. The anime didn't either? All those things you named like close ups and Luffy being serious was supposed to make it funny. If you think the anime was trying to make it serious, then all we can do is agree to disagree.
I said the anime was needlessly dragging things on to make the 20 minute deadline. A quality thing to do is to add new scenes or dialogue. A lot of times the OP anime doesnt do that....they just show the same few images for a long time.

Edit: ALSO the whole point of a different media form is to add things which couldn't be shown on a couple of pages.
And does the OP anime do that most of the time? The answer is no. A lot of their scenes adds little to nothing new. They shows things that happened exactly like in the manga, but repeat those images for minutes on end. They should have added more new scenes and dialogue to the Urashima encounter and other scenes. .

Last edited:
I said the anime was needlessly dragging things on to make the 20 minute deadline. A quality thing to do is to add new scenes or dialogue. A lot of times the OP anime doesnt do that....they just show the same few images for a long time.
All anime do that though, you gotta fill the content. Some better than others, but it's just how it is. Can OP do it better? Probably.

And does the OP anime do that most of the time? The answer is no. A lot of their scenes adds nothing new. They shows things that happened exactly like in the manga, but repeat those images for minutes on end. They should have added new scenes and dialogue to the Urashima encounter and other scenes. .
This is where I perhaps wasn't very clear - what I mean by adding something new is of course the video format where you have extended visuals, room for as many angles as you like, freedom to show any and every participant or environment, add sound - all of which create a different experience, completely different to reading manga.

The trick is to do that without MAKING UP stuff which isn't there like you are suggesting. If they added too many dialogues and scenes which aren't there originally, they are bound to change the story without really intending to. It happens as it is - with all the stuff people listed here - so it's a slippery slope and they can't go there.

Repeating images, well. In many cases, yes. But in the sumo match I honestly think humor was the goal so it's not a prime example.

Woooooah, this is amazing! Exactly the kind of details which are very important, many thanks! :yonjidoggy:

This thing with Doffy shooting Cora only twice COMPLETELY flew over my head, wow. I wonder how this could be interpreted. Whether it's Doffy's symbolically accumulated sin, which is an interesting concept, or actually considering Law as a family member - even more interesting. It could be his way of bonding with someone he saw himself in. I dunno if someone actually asked Oda about it, or if he'd give a genuine answer. Either way, fantastic!
I believe that it is a way to show us that, far from the cold hearted sociopath Doflamingo may seem at first, those three people (his father, his brother, his planned right hand man) meant a lot for him and he couldn't but take it personally. The pattern of shots isn't the only detail; you can see how the first two deaths made an impact on his personality and aesthetics. First, he starts to use more evil-looking glasses after he kills his father (before that he kept the rounded, less menacing ones). Second, in Law's flashback he's wearing a kind of formal suit and even a necktie (which goes against his party, relaxed visuals). Not only that, but he's all serious after he finds out Corazón's betrayal and is even shaking when he kills him. So it is clear that his death affected him deeply, and I guess that the one-two-three sequence of shots is showing us that those three deaths had a significant impact on him.

I believe that it is a way to show us that, far from the cold hearted sociopath Doflamingo may seem at first, those three people (his father, his brother, his planned right hand man) meant a lot for him and he couldn't but take it personally. The pattern of shots isn't the only detail; you can see how the first two deaths made an impact on his personality and aesthetics. First, he starts to use more evil-looking glasses after he kills his father (before that he kept the rounded, less menacing ones). Second, in Law's flashback he's wearing a kind of formal suit and even a necktie (which goes against his party, relaxed visuals). Not only that, but he's all serious after he finds out Corazón's betrayal and is even shaking when he kills him. So it is clear that his death affected him deeply, and I guess that the one-two-three sequence of shots is showing us that those three deaths had a significant impact on him.
You are pure gold.

Yes, obviously with these details it's clear Law meant something to him also, I wasn't aware to which degree. It's not shocking for his father or Cora, but interesting that Doffy was fond of this random child and almost felt like killing a family member. Their bond is even more compelling when you consider all the things Law picked up from Doffy. All the while condemning his behavior. Maybe ultimately Doffy also wanted what most characters want - a family.
Very well thought out, this is why so far Doflamingo might have been the best antagonist. He seems like a psychopath BUT he's not.

It’s a testament to the story of One Piece that people can exclusively watch that godawful anime and still love the series itself...I honestly don’t find any aspect of the show to be superior to the manga, where I believe we get the best of Oda’s intended portrayal of everything. The copious and unforgivable amount of filler in the anime alone was enough to turn me off, I prefer the cleaner (if not increasingly questionable) style shown in the manga. There’s never any guesswork about whether or not something is canon; what’s there is there, and what isn’t is conjecture. Also, up until Wano (which I’ve only seen stills of), the animation left a good deal to be desired. Might just be me, but if I’d watched the series before reading it instead of the other way around, I wouldn’t have kept up with One Piece for this long.
Wano's animation is beautiful but the pacing has become worse... May I ask, how did u get that Monkey D. Dragon picture?? it's hella sick!!!
Post automatically merged:

the best thing in the anime is the openings!!! they are all 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 some scenes are better in anime too, like merry's funeral, luffy vs 3 admirals, bink's sake, etc. But i'm a manga person 🤪

Wano's animation is beautiful but the pacing has become worse... May I ask, how did u get that Monkey D. Dragon picture?? it's hella sick!!!
Post automatically merged:

the best thing in the anime is the openings!!! they are all 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 some scenes are better in anime too, like merry's funeral, luffy vs 3 admirals, bink's sake, etc. But i'm a manga person 🤪
Hahaha could it be that getting great animation means getting slower pace :milaugh: ffs

Yassss, love the openings. Those scenes and songs give me a lot of joy.

Some people are arguing in this thread on why anime is slow etc, and I recently watched different videos about the reasons on why the anime is like that.

First video is by GrandLineReview, explaining why it feels like suffering:

Second video is of our dear dude YonkouProd, on why the anime is slow:

Third is by Mr Morj, explaining more about the anime in Wano arc etc:

I mean most us can still agree that it's shit to watch but after watching those I felt like I understand things better and know that it can't be helped much.

I still don't get why the anime toned down the Brook and Ryuma fight in the flashback.

He is just a skeleton, I would hardly call stabbing an undead bag of bones in the skull violent.

Another change that bugged me was young Robin getting hit with apples instead of a rock. Are kids not allowed to be violent with each other?

I still don't get why the anime toned down the Brook and Ryuma fight in the flashback.

He is just a skeleton, I would hardly call stabbing an undead bag of bones in the skull violent.

Another change that bugged me was young Robin getting hit with apples instead of a rock. Are kids not allowed to be violent with each other?
Kids can violent with each in a friendly way but not enemy type and throwings rock could can cause blood and bruises

Some people are arguing in this thread on why anime is slow etc, and I recently watched different videos about the reasons on why the anime is like that.

First video is by GrandLineReview, explaining why it feels like suffering:

Second video is of our dear dude YonkouProd, on why the anime is slow:

Third is by Mr Morj, explaining more about the anime in Wano arc etc:

I mean most us can still agree that it's shit to watch but after watching those I felt like I understand things better and know that it can't be helped much.
The first dude always pops up on my YT, but more often than not I don't agree with him. He is right about repeated shots definitely, but I just don't think they could pull off a 19 or so minutes episode without repeating stuff. They'd get a 10 minute episode if it was done in the right pace. And stuff like breathing: I strongly disagree. It's important for impact. The scenes where Luffy breathes heavily and hurt are necessary to feel how broken he is at that moment, and it's very realistic. Needless to say, his voice actress is so amazing, it pains me to hear him suffer - mission accomplished.

The second video, now. Talk about slowness, this guy is the slowest speaker ever. BUT a very amazing video, all fans should see it to be more informed about how it works. It's easy for us to complain, but for employees it's a hard job.

:sabogood: thanks.

Another change that made zero sense would be the scene a Skypeian child threw a tomato at Conis instead of a rock when she tried to warn Angel Island of Eneru's plan.

The original scene wasn't close to violent as Child Robin being hit with a rock. Therefore, just another pointless anime change.

The first dude always pops up on my YT, but more often than not I don't agree with him. He is right about repeated shots definitely, but I just don't think they could pull off a 19 or so minutes episode without repeating stuff. They'd get a 10 minute episode if it was done in the right pace. And stuff like breathing: I strongly disagree. It's important for impact. The scenes where Luffy breathes heavily and hurt are necessary to feel how broken he is at that moment, and it's very realistic. Needless to say, his voice actress is so amazing, it pains me to hear him suffer - mission accomplished.
About the breathing: I also don't completely agree with that, but sometimes it is just too much and it feels like wasting time. The same goes for the repetitive scenes, but those can still be really annoying because it prolongs the moment excessively and thus wasted the dramatic feeling. The main point in the video was about analyzing the episode and checking of "scenes that don't give us any new information". And with the repetitiveness and just expanding scenes to a point where it just feels too slow and that's why it feels rather boring.

The second video, now. Talk about slowness, this guy is the slowest speaker ever. BUT a very amazing video, all fans should see it to be more informed about how it works. It's easy for us to complain, but for employees it's a hard job.
I think english is not his native language (not entirely sure though). But right, he talks about behind the scenes and it just can't be helped with a tight schedule.