Manga/anime differences

In Marineford Whitebeard acts as if he's retarded and just keeps trying to earthquake Teach even though it isn't working. In manga, Whitebeard only needs one try to understand how Blackbeard's power works and to put him down with his bisento alone.

When Akainu fights Whitebeard he blows up half of his head in the manga; in the anime he simply burns part of his moustache.

When Mihawk was about to send a slash to Whitebeard nobody gave a shit; only Doflamingo questioned him while laughing. In the anime everybody is interested and Hancock pronounces a cringy speech about him.

In manga, Perospero didn't even need his devil fruit to submit Pedro; instead, he easily put him down with his physical strength alone. In the anime, on the contrary, he immobilizes the mink with candy around his neck.

During Dressrosa Usopp cut Trébol in three parts and completely destroyed his body once he fell on the floor. Trébol then behaved like a logia to recompose himself. This small filler completely altered the nature of the Beta Beta fruit, which turned out to be a "logia in disguise" because Trébol used his paramecia to create a mucus body.

Still in Dressrosa, there's this line where Bartolomeo speaks of Zoro and states that he's considered the vice captain of the crew. The anime ignores an important part of this sentence in manga, since Oda adds a "(by me)", indicating that it's just a made up idea Bartolomeo came up with.

In the anime, Doflamingo shot Corazón many times. In the manga he only shot him twice; this is important because it follows a pattern: he shot his father one, Corazón two, and Law three times.

In Sanji's flashback, Zeff eats his own leg in order to survive after giving our cook all his food. In the anime he sacrifices his leg in order to save Sanji from drowning.

If I recall correctly, every middle finger in manga has been censored in anime.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
It ironic you say this but toei would show you some shit in a fight that you wish you saw in the manga like sanji didnt beat page one lol
Ehh, I don’t care as much about the length of fights as I do the story and characters...whether or not Sanji beat Page One, it clearly wasn’t enough to take him totally out of commission :doffycry:

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
I'm sorry, but... Earning money through an anime doesn't work like that. A manga can be popular and its anime can still be cancelled.

Yes, exactly. Also, there is no need to trash it that much...

And the Bepo stomach ache incident made me want to keep track of this.
As a manga reader, the anime doesnt do it justice. Not only is the art is...well Toei style, its severely drags on all scenes. In the manga, Luffy's G3 clash with Urashima was only 3 panels. In the anime, they dragged those 3 panels for 3 minutes...so 40 seconds of Luffy and Urashima trying to regain t their balance. There are more examples of that. Filler arcs are supposed to create gaps between the manga and anime but instead, they REALLY extend canon scenes.

An example of an anime being inferior to the manga is One Punch Man. S1 of One Punch Man was an amazing adaptation but seasons 2 didnt do it justice. OPM requires good animation to capture it's over the top nature but season 2 was very basic, making it a poor adaptation.

As a manga reader, the anime doesnt do it justice. Not only is the art is...well Toei style, its severely drags on all scenes. In the manga, Luffy's G3 clash with Urashima was only 3 panels. In the anime, they dragged those 3 panels for 3 minutes...so 40 seconds of Luffy and Urashima trying to regain t their balance. There are more examples of that. Filler arcs are supposed to create gaps between the manga and anime but instead, they REALLY extend canon scenes.

An example of an anime being inferior to the manga is One Punch Man. S1 of One Punch Man was an amazing adaptation but seasons 2 didnt do it justice. OPM requires good animation to capture it's over the top nature but season 2 was very basic, making it a poor adaptation.
That give you more to the scenes that you wish you saw like another example katakuri barely use his weapon in the manga but it in the anime he use it alot but honestly that sumo match canon filler gave more to urashima and he look better when he got defeat than in the manga

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
That give you more to the scenes that you wish you saw like another example katakuri barely use his weapon in the manga but it in the anime he use it alot but honestly that sumo match canon filler gave more to urashima and he look better when he got defeat than in the manga
That overly extended scene did nothing for Luffy or Urashima. It took away from something later on. The beginning of Wano was about showing off Luffy's progress as guys like Urashima or Holdem would have given him trouble in the past but he cleaned house. This adding to the unbeatable air around Kaido when he quickly took Luffy out, also adding to the loss of hope of the samurai when they claimed Kaido was unbeatable.

The anime? Luffy struggles against all of them including Batman, which took away from Kaido beating the now weakling Luffy. I also dont see how 3 minutes of a few images being repeated over n' over for 3 panel clash adds anything. It only spat on the themes.

That overly extended scene did nothing for Luffy or Urashima. It took away from something later on. The beginning of Wano was about showing off Luffy's progress as guys like Urashima or Holdem would have given him trouble in the past but he cleaned house. This adding to the unbeatable air around Kaido when he quickly took Luffy out, also adding to the loss of hope of the samurai when they claimed Kaido was unbeatable.

The anime? Luffy struggles against all of them including Batman, which took away from Kaido beating the now weakling Luffy. I also dont see how 3 minutes of a few images being repeated over n' over for 3 panel clash adds anything. It only spat on the themes.
Not really anime fights aren't that realistic you can struggle against some who weaker and still beat the top guy at the end of the day it fiction

In Marineford Whitebeard acts as if he's retarded and just keeps trying to earthquake Teach even though it isn't working. In manga, Whitebeard only needs one try to understand how Blackbeard's power works and to put him down with his bisento alone.

When Akainu fights Whitebeard he blows up half of his head in the manga; in the anime he simply burns part of his moustache.

When Mihawk was about to send a slash to Whitebeard nobody gave a shit; only Doflamingo questioned him while laughing. In the anime everybody is interested and Hancock pronounces a cringy speech about him.

In manga, Perospero didn't even need his devil fruit to submit Pedro; instead, he easily put him down with his physical strength alone. In the anime, on the contrary, he immobilizes the mink with candy around his neck.

During Dressrosa Usopp cut Trébol in three parts and completely destroyed his body once he fell on the floor. Trébol then behaved like a logia to recompose himself. This small filler completely altered the nature of the Beta Beta fruit, which turned out to be a "logia in disguise" because Trébol used his paramecia to create a mucus body.

Still in Dressrosa, there's this line where Bartolomeo speaks of Zoro and states that he's considered the vice captain of the crew. The anime ignores an important part of this sentence in manga, since Oda adds a "(by me)", indicating that it's just a made up idea Bartolomeo came up with.

In the anime, Doflamingo shot Corazón many times. In the manga he only shot him twice; this is important because it follows a pattern: he shot his father one, Corazón two, and Law three times.

In Sanji's flashback, Zeff eats his own leg in order to survive after giving our cook all his food. In the anime he sacrifices his leg in order to save Sanji from drowning.

If I recall correctly, every middle finger in manga has been censored in anime.
Woooooah, this is amazing! Exactly the kind of details which are very important, many thanks! :yonjidoggy:

This thing with Doffy shooting Cora only twice COMPLETELY flew over my head, wow. I wonder how this could be interpreted. Whether it's Doffy's symbolically accumulated sin, which is an interesting concept, or actually considering Law as a family member - even more interesting. It could be his way of bonding with someone he saw himself in. I dunno if someone actually asked Oda about it, or if he'd give a genuine answer. Either way, fantastic!

N

NeutralWatcher

Few things that I remember

Brook clashes with Oven (manga doesn't happen)
Niji and Yonji managed to put up a fight against BM (in manga both of them gets one shot)
Sanji fights both Oven and Daifuku (manga doesn't happen)
Batman CoA manages to block Luffy's punch (manga doesn't happen)

Hmmm, I think you missed the whole point of Urashima vs Luffy - it is very Oda-like to have fun with the concept of the most famous Japanese sport. Namely, to be playful. Like Luffy was serious in such a fight.

And automatically of course, the anime tried to emphasize this playfulness as well. (And show off Luffy's ripped body with new animation?)

So I wouldn't exactly take it so seriously.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Hmmm, I think you missed the whole point of Urashima vs Luffy - it is very Oda-like to have fun with the concept of the most famous Japanese sport. Namely, to be playful. Like Luffy was serious in such a fight.

And automatically of course, the anime tried to emphasize this playfulness as well. (And show off Luffy's ripped body with new animation?)

So I wouldn't exactly take it so seriously.
How is it being taken seriously? The anime didnt add anything new to the Luffy vs Urashima fight. They literally took what was 4 panels in the manga, and dragged each panel for about 40 seconds each, literally repeating the same few images again and again. How is that fun or playful?

The palm clash for example consisted of:
-still image close up of Urashima
-still image close up of Luffy
-still image close up of palm clash
-stil image close up of witnesses

Repeat images over n' over for 40 seconds before going to the next panel scene.

Niji and Yonji managed to put up a fight against BM (in manga both of them gets one shot)
Thanks!!

In such cases I'm not really sure if Oda reduced it because not enough space for them to struggle a bit - or if they're flat out too weak. And if maybe the anime crew asks him if they can expand on the matter. He says they consult him - but could it also be for tiny details like this, I wonder.

The palm clash for example consisted of:
-still image close up of Urashima
-still image close up of Luffy
-still image close up of palm clash
-stil image close up of witnesses
Hahaha even reading it makes me laugh. It has a slow pace, but those silly background sounds and EXACTLY those ridiculous close ups are what is supposed to make it funny. You might not think they are because humor is subjective, but it was what they were aiming for.

You're taking it seriously by saying it took away from Kaido beating Luffy and devaluing the themes. It did nothing of the sorts. If anything it amplified Luffy's carelessness swiftly followed by a wake up call. That is a good way to do it.