Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters
You were the one asserting that Bonney will be safe in Elbaf. The burden of proof is on you. All I'm doing is providing counter arguments to your headcannon. Also half the points you just made are still headcannon.
No they are not, those are literally facts of the story mate.

And I only said that Bonney and her Dad could seek asylum there. I didn't say that she would necessaraly be safe. (Even if I think she would be tho)

You are telling me that the gov can attack Elbaf despite all the point mentionned above (that are again, literally facts in the manga) showing that it would be unwise strategically to attack Elbaf, its therefore your turn to show me why I'm wrong.

No they are not, those are literally facts of the story mate.

And I only said that Bonney and her Dad could seek asylum there. I didn't say that she would necessaraly be safe. (Even if I think she would be tho)

You are telling me that the gov can attack Elbaf despite all the point mentionned above (that are again, literally facts in the manga) showing that it would be unwise strategically to attack Elbaf, its therefore your turn to show me why I'm wrong.
The only ones of these "facts" that would deter an admiral are "Elbaf is the strongest nation" and "attacking Elbaf is attacking Shanks". Neither of these are true. You're just making stuff up to fit your point. If Akainu pulls up to Elbaf, no giant is stopping him. There's no evidence that a mother flame wouldn't work on Elbaf either, you just pulled that out of your ass. The burden of proof is on the one making the claim, but as always, you think the second you spout some headcannon nonsense, the burden of proof is permenantly on the other person.

The Cat Pirates and the strawhat are two completely different crew with two different type of narration. The Cat pirates are literally meant to depict a failed crew where the Strawhat are meant to set the example. PLUS, the entire narration of One Piece and the strawhat is centered around the notion of adventure.

While you can have an adventure one time while staying on the ship, you can expect Oda to write a character that will stay while the others are gone. And the moment a character is gone, its not a guardian anymore, its a fighter. Proof is, Luffy wrecked the ship of the cat pirates while they were gone fighting Zoro. Literally.

There is no way to get around the notion: If you want a guardian in the strawhat, you need to create a power that allow said guardians to either have a way to guard the ship indefinitely (camera like) and teleport them in case of problem or to be able to split them in two. But the "protection power" must be relevant and not just a den den mushi... again, the role of the character must echo the entire journey and characterisation of the character.

I don't care about definition. If your "guardian" leave the ship 5 seconds and the ship is attacked, then is a BAD guardian. Period.
You not caring about dictionary definitions is not conducive to your argument. Sentry is a synonym for Guard. Period.

You are making up a post in the story to fit your agenda rather than use what the story has given you.

There are no characters introduced as "Lookout" or "Sentry" in One Piece. These are the facts.

You claim Carrot to potentially be a Sentry in a ship but not be a Ship Guard. The reason being your own definition that a Ship Guard MUST stay on the ship 24/7 or they are a bad guardian while a Sentry has the freedom to leave. So by what I understand from you is a Sentry is a Ship Guard with freedom.

But if Oda does not restrict a Ship Guard solely to a ship at all times, then Sentry holds no weight as an introbox position Ship Guard covers the Sentry's responsibilities.
The will inheritence in not a physical thing, its metaphorical mate.

That would be a start yes.

No one. That's literally the point. Pedro and her pupil Carrot are literally the only non strawhat to have occupied the role of Look out and Carrot, of sentry.

Now for the sentry part, this is not obvious. And granted, its debatable. The point here is this one: How do you make the post of lookout shine through combat ? Well.. you really can't, you are forced to "extend" the post to the environment.

Well, that's what Oda did with Carrot two times :
- First when she was in a lookout post guarding the entry of Mokomo and she left the post to attack Zoro
- Second, When she left her post during the Sulong transformation to defeat Daifuku's fleet.

I explain this post and its narration more in detail here:

https://carrotfornakama.wixsite.com/anyonefornakama/post/carrot-the-sentry

The point of sentry is that it include 1 job and 1 action in a single post:
- The action of look out
- The action of sentinelle

What you need to understand is that this "position" on the Sunny and in combat, is the direct continuation of Carrot's characterization. Oda didn't put Carrot at this post for no reasons. Everything in Carrot's journey and this position are linked together.

This is why Carrot as a sentry is still, to this day, very pertinent while a ship gard is not.
Inheriting a Will through a Devil Fruit is both physical and metaphorical. Sabo literally bit the Flame Flame Fruit to inherit Ace's powers and to step back into the big brother role to Luffy like Ace was before his death.

The Ship Guard covers the extended post.
guard
1 of 2noun
ˈgärd

Synonyms of guard
1: one assigned to protect or oversee another: such as

a: a person or a body of persons on sentinel duty
Guards were posted around the camp.

b
guards plural : troops attached to the person of the sovereign
c
British : CONDUCTOR sense b

a: a defensive state or attitude
asked him out when his guard was down

b: a defensive position (as in boxing)

a: the act or duty of protecting or defending
b: the state of being protected : PROTECTION

: a protective or safety device
specifically : a device for protecting a machine part or the operator of a machine

archaic : PRECAUTION

a: a position or player next to the center in a football line
b: a player stationed in the backcourt in basketball
lookout
/loo͝k′out″/

noun
1. The act of observing or keeping watch.
2. A high place or structure commanding a wide view, used for observation.
3. One who keeps watch.
4. Outlook; view.
5. An object of concern or worry.
6. A careful looking or watching for any object or event.
7. The place from which such observation is made.
8. A person engaged in watching; a sentinel; a sentry.
Similar: sentinelsentry
9. Object or duty of forethought and care; responsibility.
Similar: responsibility
The ship's cat has been a common feature on many trading, exploration, and naval ships dating to ancient times. Cats have been brought on ships for many reasons, most importantly to control rodents. Vermin aboard a ship can cause damage to ropes, woodwork, and more recently, electrical wiring. In addition, rodents threaten ships' stores, devour crews' foodstuff, and can cause economic damage to ships' cargo, such as grain.

Cats naturally attack and kill rodents[3] and adapt to new surroundings, which makes them suitable for service on a ship. In addition, they offer companionship and a sense of home, security and camaraderie to sailors away from home.
A Lookout is a Ship Guard as they protect the ship from dangers outside of the ship.
A Sentry is a synonym for Lookout which also means a Sentry on a ship is a Ship Guard.
Even a Ship's Cat is a Ship Guard. They protect the ship from rodents.

Sentry is not pertinent as it does not exist in One Piece to this date. Only in your mind. Ship Guard however has relevance simply because it was written in One Piece by Oda.

You not caring about dictionary definitions is not conducive to your argument. Sentry is a synonym for Guard. Period.

You are making up a post in the story to fit your agenda rather than use what the story has given you.

There are no characters introduced as "Lookout" or "Sentry" in One Piece. These are the facts.

You claim Carrot to potentially be a Sentry in a ship but not be a Ship Guard. The reason being your own definition that a Ship Guard MUST stay on the ship 24/7 or they are a bad guardian while a Sentry has the freedom to leave. So by what I understand from you is a Sentry is a Ship Guard with freedom.

But if Oda does not restrict a Ship Guard solely to a ship at all times, then Sentry holds no weight as an introbox position Ship Guard covers the Sentry's responsibilities.

Inheriting a Will through a Devil Fruit is both physical and metaphorical. Sabo literally bit the Flame Flame Fruit to inherit Ace's powers and to step back into the big brother role to Luffy like Ace was before his death.

guard
1 of 2noun
ˈgärd

Synonyms of guard
1: one assigned to protect or oversee another: such as

a: a person or a body of persons on sentinel duty
Guards were posted around the camp.

b
guards plural : troops attached to the person of the sovereign
c
British : CONDUCTOR sense b

a: a defensive state or attitude
asked him out when his guard was down

b: a defensive position (as in boxing)

a: the act or duty of protecting or defending
b: the state of being protected : PROTECTION

: a protective or safety device
specifically : a device for protecting a machine part or the operator of a machine

archaic : PRECAUTION

a: a position or player next to the center in a football line
b: a player stationed in the backcourt in basketball
lookout
/loo͝k′out″/

noun
1. The act of observing or keeping watch.
2. A high place or structure commanding a wide view, used for observation.
3. One who keeps watch.
4. Outlook; view.
5. An object of concern or worry.
6. A careful looking or watching for any object or event.
7. The place from which such observation is made.
8. A person engaged in watching; a sentinel; a sentry.
Similar: sentinelsentry
9. Object or duty of forethought and care; responsibility.
Similar: responsibility
The ship's cat has been a common feature on many trading, exploration, and naval ships dating to ancient times. Cats have been brought on ships for many reasons, most importantly to control rodents. Vermin aboard a ship can cause damage to ropes, woodwork, and more recently, electrical wiring. In addition, rodents threaten ships' stores, devour crews' foodstuff, and can cause economic damage to ships' cargo, such as grain.

Cats naturally attack and kill rodents[3] and adapt to new surroundings, which makes them suitable for service on a ship. In addition, they offer companionship and a sense of home, security and camaraderie to sailors away from home.
A Lookout is a Ship Guard as they protect the ship from dangers outside of the ship.
A Sentry is a synonym for Lookout which also means a Sentry on a ship is a Ship Guard.
Even a Ship's Cat is a Ship Guard. They protect the ship from rodents.

Sentry is not pertinent as it does not exist in One Piece to this date. Only in your mind. Ship Guard however has relevance simply because it was written in One Piece by Oda.
Best post for Lucci - ship's cat!

Let a rodent like Caribou dare to get on the ship! He will be greeted by the SHP's new cat-addition.

The only ones of these "facts" that would deter an admiral are "Elbaf is the strongest nation" and "attacking Elbaf is attacking Shanks". Neither of these are true.
You're just making stuff up to fit your point.
Again, I never invent things when it comes to One Piece. I always base my reasonning on narrative facts.

The burden of proof is on the one making the claim
Yup, and as I explained, I gave you the point proving my point.

The only question mark is the motherflame:

There's no evidence that a mother flame wouldn't work on Elbaf either
It could work, but looking at the facts of the story, the weapon not working is not an impossibility. Simple narrative logic.

You are right on the fact that I extend the post of Carrot, in reality, I should only call this post "lookout" as 888 is focused on the post.
But looking at the end of the chapter, this extention is needed. And its coherent with the job of Carrot on Zou.

Not officially no. But there is no need for a role to be officialy stated in the story for a strawhat to get the post.

You claim Carrot to potentially be a Sentry in a ship but not be a Ship Guard.
Indeed, to be a ship guard, Carrot would need to be able to split in two entity. One staying on the ship, one going on the adventure.

a Sentry has the freedom to leave.
A sentry is simply a Sentinelle + a Lookout. Its the closest things you have of the job of Carrot. It has specificities of a guard but its not a shipguard. Its a lookout that can be mobile and go in ennemy territory if a danger approach.

No. Again Sentry =/= ship guard.

Inheriting a Will through a Devil Fruit is both physical and metaphorical
Metaphorical yes, physical, no.

lol no

No only. Its more than that.

Sentry is not pertinent as it does not exist in One Piece to this date.
Again, its not because a post hasn't been officially stated that its not pertinent.

Again, I never invent things when it comes to One Piece. I always base my reasonning on narrative facts.

Yup, and as I explained, I gave you the point proving my point.

The only question mark is the motherflame:

It could work, but looking at the facts of the story, the weapon not working is not an impossibility. Simple narrative logic.

You are right on the fact that I extend the post of Carrot, in reality, I should only call this post "lookout" as 888 is focused on the post.
But looking at the end of the chapter, this extention is needed. And its coherent with the job of Carrot on Zou.

Not officially no. But there is no need for a role to be officialy stated in the story for a strawhat to get the post.

Indeed, to be a ship guard, Carrot would need to be able to split in two entity. One staying on the ship, one going on the adventure.

A sentry is simply a Sentinelle + a Lookout. Its the closest things you have of the job of Carrot. It has specificities of a guard but its not a shipguard. Its a lookout that can be mobile and go in ennemy territory if a danger approach.

No. Again Sentry =/= ship guard.

Metaphorical yes, physical, no.

lol no

No only. Its more than that.

Again, its not because a post hasn't been officially stated that its not pertinent.
I missed the line about Elbaf being the strongest, but this line doesn't imply Shanks will commit suicide by going to war against the world government because a couple of giants got hurt. And you still can't counter the motherflame point. There is absolutely no reason to believe it wouldn't work on Elbaf, that's still just making shit up.

but this line doesn't imply Shanks will commit suicide by going to war against the world government
Yes, that's precisely what this line implies. Shanks literally lost an arm to save Luffy, there is no reason to think that he wouldn't come to save the giant even if there is a greater force at play (which is debatable btw)

And you still can't counter the motherflame point.
Which is non relevant to begin with. Bonney and her Dad wouldn't be safer on the Sunny than on Elbaf. The motherflame seems to be mobile and can annihilate an enormous zone at once. If Imu wishes to annihilate the Island where the strawhats are standing on, they can do it no matter.

What I say is that Vegapunk is used to make failsafe in his inventions, so its not impossible at all that he installed one on the motherflame.