Character Discussion Akainu’s Tattoo & Flower Symbolism - Akainu’s Philosophy on Justice Explored

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
I will keep this brief and to the point lol. So I had planned to do this post in the past, and I wanted to do a post on my speculations about Akainu’s tattoo and how it relates to his overall character. I was thinking about the time Oda drew Akainu gardening:

And I remember thinking how weird it was that Oda drew a character like Akainu caring for plant life lol. I mean, this is the guy who sunk a ship full of innocent civilians to prevent a single criminal from escaping among them. You’re telling me this guy raises and nurtures plants?

Akainu also wears a rose as part of his Admiral attire:

And his overall design seems to be around a theme of gardening.
1. His Flower tattoo
2. Flowers being all over his Admiral attire
3. The fact that he spends time gardening

So, what gives? What is Oda getting at here?

I decided to do some research into Volcanos, to see if there was some kind of connection between Volcanos and Vegetation.

And I was very impressed with what I found:

According to just one source:

“Volcanoes can be destructive, but volcanic action can lead to the formation of fertile soils. Volcanic activity is traditionally associated with the destruction of lives and property because events such as eruption can decimate all living things. However, the process of eruption is characterized by different processes which ultimately lead to the formation of new materials including rocks and soil with volcanic soils formed through this process. They are among the most fertile in the world.”

Now I’m no geologist, so without getting too scientific, the results of my research is that Volcanic Eruptions, while extremely destructive, are also capable of producing extremely fertile soil, which can result in lush vegetation and beautiful plant-life.

Thinking about this on a deeper level, I think this is the reason Oda gave Akainu a Magma Devil Fruit. On a symbolic level, Akainu’s incredibly destructive Devil Fruit is meant to represent his brutal philosophy of Thorough Justice: that evil must be obliterated without a trace.

However, much like Volcanic eruptions can eventually produce new plants and vegetation (in other words, life), I think Akainu’s goal isn’t destruction for destruction’s sake, but rather is destruction in the name of a better world, and ultimately of new life.

Akainu believes that only by thoroughly destroying all evil, can a world of good be born. Akainu does care for life on some level, as illustrated by the symbolism around his “Flower” theme. Flowers are typically associated with beauty, much like the world Akainu envisions as a result of his actions. At least, this is what I think.

I think Akainu has a great character design. His appearance, Devil Fruit, and character are all meant to serve as symbolic representation of who he is as a character, and his philosophies on Justice and the creation of a better, more beautiful world.

TL;DR-Akainu is LITERALLY THE THANOS OF ONE PIECE COME TO SNAP THE YONKO OUT OF EXISTENCE a really well-designed character.

@Light D Lamperouge @HA001 @Blackbeard @Owl Ki @Sentinel @playa4321 @Bogard @Garp the Fist @Van @Luthon etc etc etc

Last edited:
I think some of it also has to do with the fact that Akainu is based off Bunta Sugawara.

Also since the design is specifically taken from his movie Battles without honor and humanity, where Sugawara plays a Yakuza boss, it could be Oda's way of paying homage to him by giving Akainu a tattoo typically adorned by Yakuza's

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
It would align with Sakazuki's inherent and interwoven characterization of being somewhat of a pacifist, a parody on his work and devil fruit. I for one can see this being true. There's also Sakazuki's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterization - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. That and Sakazuki's tattoo, which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons, would suggest this to be the case.

Obviously the above is just trolling lmfao.

Sakazuki is based on Bunta Sugawara, a famous Japanese actor, and his yakuza style tattoo is further proof of that. Sugawara is famous for his yakuza movies.
They also share the same birthday.
Even Sakazuki's name, actual name Sakazuki, is from 3 movies of Bunta Sugawara with Sakazuki in them.
> Gendai yakuza: Sakazuki kaeshimasu
> Bâkuto jingi: sâkazukî

> Kyôdai jingi gyakuen no sakazuki

And of course Oda again mentioning that.

'The greatest looking guy in the world'.
'I will draw Sakazuki with great respect'.

That explains the tatts imo and the design, but the gardening and what you got is also a nice find.​

Jiihad

RIP Toriyama
I will keep this brief and to the point lol. So I had planned to do this post in the past, and I wanted to do a post on my speculations about Akainu’s a tattoo and how it relates to his overall character. I was thinking about the time Oda drew Akainu gardening:

And I remember thinking how weird it was that Oda drew a character like Akainu caring for plant life lol. I mean, this is the guy who sunk a ship full of innocent civilians to prevent a single criminal from escaping among them. You’re telling me this guy raises and nurtures plants?

Akainu also wears a rise as part of his Admiral attire:

And his overall design seems to be around a theme of gardening.
1. His Flower tattoo
2. Flowers being all over his Admiral attire
3. The fact that he spends time gardening at times.

So, what gives? What is Oda getting at here?

I decided to do some research into Volcanos, to see if there was some kind of connection between Volcanos and Vegetation.

And I was very impressed with what I found:

According to just one source:

“Volcanoes can be destructive, but volcanic action can lead to the formation of fertile soils. Volcanic activity is traditionally associated with the destruction of lives and property because events such as eruption can decimate all living things. However, the process of eruption is characterized by different processes which ultimately lead to the formation of new materials including rocks and soil with volcanic soils formed through this process. They are among the most fertile in the world.”

Now I’m no geologist, so without getting too scientific, the results of my research is that Volcanic Eruptions, while extremely destructive, are also capable of producing extremely fertile soil, which can result in lush vegetation and beautiful plant-life.

Thinking about this on a deeper level, I think this is the reason Oda gave Akainu a Magma Devil Fruit. On a symbolic level, Akainu’s incredibly destructive Devil Fruit is meant to represent his brutal philosophy of Thurough Justice: that evil must be obliterated without a trace.

However, much like Volcanic eruptions can eventually produce new plants and vegetation (in other words, life), I think Akainu’s goal isn’t destruction for destruction’s sake, but rather is destruction in the name of a better world, and ultimately of new life.

Akainu believes that only by thoroughly destroying all evil, can a world of good be born. Akainu does care for life on some level, as illustrated by the symbolism around his “Flower” theme. Flowers are typically associated with beauty, much like the world Akainu envisions as a result of his actions. At least, this is what I think.

I think Akainu has a great character design. His appearance, Devil Fruit, and character are all meant to serve as symbolic representation of who he is as a character, and his philosophies on Justice and the creation of a better, more beautiful world.

TL;DR-Akainu is LITERALLY THE THANOS OF ONE PIECE COME TO SNAP THE YONKO OUT OF EXISTENCE a really well-designed character.

@Light D Lamperouge @HA001 @Blackbeard @Owl Ki @Sentinel @playa4321 @Bogard @Garp the Fist @Van @Luthon etc etc etc
Yo!!! You finally did tha thread? Was wondering when. This was gone come lol, I knew you had this in tha holster since like OJ right?

J

Jo_Ndule

:seriously:I've seen these new Akainu wankers cant carry the weigh.

:beckmoji: I can't tolerate Akainu's downplay anymore from these Yonko fans.
I'm going back to my prime self where I defended Akainu and Navy while defending linlin and Kaido at the same time.

:moonwalk: time to battle against WB x Shanks x Mihawk wankdom

BTW...
Oda likes Akainu a lot, his design and character are all interesting, only weaklings hate Akainu for doing his job against Ace.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
I'M LITERALLY SHAKING.

:perocry:

I can't tell if my pants are wet from my tears or my semen.
This is beautiful stuff.

:pepecry:
Yes yes. Let the glory of Akainu Sama envelop your very soul.

'The greatest looking guy in the world'.
'I will draw Sakazuki with great respect'.
Is Akainu the most handsome man in One Piece?

Yes.
Post automatically merged:

I'm going back to my prime self where I defended Akainu and Navy while defending linlin and Kaido at the same time.

BTW...
Oda likes Akainu a lot, his design and character are all interesting, only weaklings hate Akainu for doing his job against Ace.
That’s the Jo I know and miss lol. The Akainu fandom welcomes you with open volcanoes.

BTW...
Awesome now say akainu is equal to the yonkos and you complete

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎

BTW...
Holy shit. We got Ndule back!