General & Others A huge Yonko War Arc with a crew worth of Zoan users, yet none is awakened.

I've been reading the Wano arc for around 3 years and I can't believe what I'm seeing with the current chapter.

Who would expect that a Yonko crew focused on Zoan users do not have a single Zoan user who is awakened? Nobody. Yet, we see a retcon of Luffy's DF suddenly being a mythical zoan fruit and Luffy is the ONLY one with Zoan awakening but that's the issue: Luffy's awakening is NOT representative for other Zoan awakened users, especially not of ancient or mythical ones! Luffy has both Zoan awakening transformation and paramecia awakened powers, it is clear that other mythical zoan users do not have paramecia awakening powers if they're awakened but from what we can see, it is guaranted to see a completely new form with enhanced physical skills as well as newly improved abilities.

Again, nobody can tell me this makes remotely sense, considering Oda's horrible sense of pacing this arc. This man seriously prioritized drawing 20+ chapters worth of irrelevant flashbacks, subplots of the subplots only to make it redundant the next moment, for example Yamato and Momonosuke running around to search for the bombs, only for Law to randomly drop these on Big Mom, making their chasing even more meaningless and wasteful. Or bringing Kanjuro back to life SEVERAL TIMES, when his role was already supposed to be over after being slain by the Scabbards prior to the actual raid. And don't let me start on the most USELESS SUBPLOT, creating this massive fake tension of Kanjuro creating a fire ball chasing people for several chapters. SEVERAL CHAPTERS STRAIGHT! What was the freaking point instead of wasting panels? There was none.

So if the issue is the pacing or Oda dragging the arc around, it is because of these issues of overly handling minor characters more screentime than it is worth for. There is not a single issue of Jack, Queen or King getting 2 or 4 more chapters dedicated to 1.) their awakening, 2.) their characterization and 3.) their interaction with other Beast Pirates (and Kaido) or their enemies (3rd point goes along with 2nd btw).

And now we actually have the consequences of this chaotic scheming of pacing: It affected the most important character - bar the MC - this arc who has been the antagonist for the entire Saga ever SINCE PUNK HAZARD, Kaido. Kaido got a halfassed flashback in the middle of his defeat and he couldn't show awakening - the only character properly addressing Luffy's G5 and fully knowing its Zoan awakened powers. The only mythical zoan user bar Marco (and Luffy). This character maxed out his DF skills and his Haki as well. Kaido even has FS which is absolutely NOT necessary for his fighting style!

What are your opinions about Oda not giving a fuck to any Zoan user being awakened this arc? And it is really okay that Oda prioritizes minor things over more important stuff related to his world building? Awakening is a crucial part in his world building as Doflamingo clearly illustrated the maximum potential of the DF, as well as Katakuri.

Last edited:
Given the treatment that Oda has given to the Beast Pirates during this arc, with the plot being so strongly against them, the Smiles being turned into jokes after having been hyped so much, the Tama stuff, and the general incompetence forced upon most of the crew, I can't say that I am surprised nor impressed by this.

Also Oda has always given far less importance and development to Zoans compared to other devil fruits, with Zoan users never having the heightened senses that they should have as animals hybrids, nor the ability to talk to animals, and none of them having been able of finding alternate forms other than the standard 3 outside of Chopper.

There is no confirmation to it, Oda didn't even bother to drop a single line of it. Until then, Kaido didn't show awakening unter further notice (which is already too late).
Consider the following:
- it is a new form that Kaido busts out after directly talking to Luffy about awakening
- it transforms Kaido into a kami like figure kinda like Luffy's own awakening
- it is used to properly counter Luffy's G5 which is Luffy's awakening

There're a lot of signs pointing to it

I‘m starting to despise this fraud mangaka.

I rather have this manga unfinished, then seeing how that fraud mangaka is ruining it further.

How can somebody not even connect the right dots and make the simplicities decision. The size of his brain is probably as small as a maggot. There can‘t be another explanation

Last edited:
F6 - I always thought the idea of them having it was a huge reach. Awakening has been specifically only for the main adversary of the arc the past two major arcs.

calamities - Maybe? I still didn’t see it, again awakening has only been given to the main baddies.

Big Mom - yeah really weird she doesn’t have awakening. Maybe Oda is holding it back for a future fight? Maybe she never though to train her fruit since she was born super strong

Kaido - I genuinely believe his drunk forms are his awakening and Oda just forgot to mention it