Character Discussion Agenda aside, Oda's writing of Mihawk is atrocious

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
Trolling aside for the moment:

The worst part about Mihawk, and by extension the WSS title, has always been the way nobody besides Zoro is chasing after it.

This has been such a massive let down for me as someone who was on the Mihawk vs Zoro hypetrain.

We got Tashigi in Loguetown and we saw that she wanted to reclaim all the named blades from the pirates of the world. But no WSS dream.

Daz Bones? Nothing. Kaku? Nada. Ohm? Doesn't know/care about the Blue Sea. And on and on the oponents go.

Not a single damn person said "Roronoa, my swordsman's pride doesn't allow me to let you pass through here. I will be the WSS!!!"

Nobody.

Meanwhile you'll hear the One Piece mentioned as a target by top pirates (and Buggy) all the time.

Oda fumbled the importance of the WSS title big time by not having any challengers stand in Zoro's way for 1000+ chapters now.
I wholeheartedly agree.

No one sharing Zoro's ambition makes it less compelling. But this is the case for the other Strawhats in general; most of them have unique dreams not shared by others.

This just goes to show that Zoro isn't particularly special. He's not the deuteragonist or anything like that.

Just one of Luffy's more important crew members.

I wholeheartedly agree.

No one sharing Zoro's ambition makes it less compelling. But this is the case for the other Strawhats in general; most of them have unique dreams not shared by others.

This just goes to show that Zoro isn't particularly special. He's not the deuteragonist or anything like that.

Just one of Luffy's more important crew members.
I would have prefered for Zoro to find likeminded foes because his dream has an actual living person as the end goal.

It's not a fantasy like the All Blue or a Panacea, not vague like Becoming a Brave Warrior.

Hell, even the One Piece is seen as a fantasy by a lot of people pre Marineford and WB confirming its existance.

Having rivals en route to WSS would offer great opportunities for development for him, to understand the road Mihawk had to take in his time. And to learn different styles and how to counter them, different skills and how to use them.

Yeah trolling aside there's a lot of things Oda should have done with Mihawk.

1) Make the WSS title mean something. Zoro having rivals throughout the story would have been good. It feels like all of Zoro's fights in the arc are just there because Zoro needs someone to fight while Luffy resolves whatever the problem is on an island.

2) Mihawk should have crushed Vista. The first proper swordsman we see fight Vista stalemated him WTF. Making Mihawk the dominant force in the world for swords user what perfect chance is there than crush a famous swordsmen.

3) Give him lore for Wano. Mihawk is the only other person other than Ryuuma to make a black blade. There should have been something with this.

4) Not joining CG. As a Marine Hunter that's what Mihawk should be doing now. Collecting bounties of marines for CG for sport. Mihawk should have been bringing T Bones dead ass back. But no we get him sweating over fighting other Yonkos.

Gotta love the fact that Oda never showed any panels of Mihawk during Roger’s flashback even though he was in his crew

The marines conflate Buggy’s strength with legends like Rayleigh and Gaban

Marines by definition see Rayleigh and Gaban > Mihawk

:gokulaugh:

Mihawk doesn’t even have fame with the Wano society

If WSS means Jack shit , why do marines think old Rayleigh > WSS ?

Honestly I think there being a mini competition for the wsm title during the hunt for the one piece would be really cool

Like seeing other swordsman compete for it would be nice. Memes aside a legit rematch between vista and mihawk would be fun to see lol