Character Discussion Agenda aside, Oda's writing of Mihawk is atrocious

Nikuzi

โš“๐’ซ๐’พ๐“‡๐’ถ๐“‰๐‘’ ๐’ฌ๐“Š๐‘’๐‘’๐“ƒ ๐’ฎ๐‘’๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“Šโš“
โ€Ž
I often wonder if people actually like Mihawk and don't just hype him up to the heavens so that they can gloat for Zoro when he beats him

I often wonder if people actually like Mihawk and don't just hype him up to the heavens so that they can gloat for Zoro when he beats him
I unironically liked him since his introduction

But as I grew older he (along with Shanks, Dragon, and the rest of the one-panel-per-year squad) remained the same in plot relevance and character development.

So I grew out of it. But him arriving at Baratie and slicing the huge galeon is still one of my fav moments.

Sometimes I find myself liking him even more than Zoro. Or at least, the version of him that I believe stays true to his character.

He's got immense strength but doesn't flex it at every waking moment the way that other characters do. He's got some of the best drip in the series. He's confident as well as mysterious. To be honest I feel like Mihawk is a very hard character to actually dislike, people just project their distaste for toxic Zoro fans onto Mihawk.

Zolo

Cope Doctor
โ€Ž
I unironically liked him since his introduction

But as I grew older he (along with Shanks, Dragon, and the rest of the one-panel-per-year squad) remained the same in plot relevance and character development.

So I grew out of it. But him arriving at Baratie and slicing the huge galeon is still one of my fav moments.
I agree withs this... Shanks was given epic moments even hes own movie... BB is shown as Luffy just with different goal and ways to achieve it.... Garp is legend who goes alone against the new yonko crew.... and Mihawk...... hes just there, Hype tool for Buggy.... I really wanted him to be a legend like shanks, I really wanted him to be strong and for zoro to be equal to luffy too... but the more I see it the more I know thats never going to happen... Zoro has Sanjo, Mihawk... and Lufffy has top tier characters to overcome. Buggy is One of luffys endgoals too... not Mihawk or allready beaten croc... Its not Odas writing at fault its Zoro fans expectations and fanboism to blame...

I think Rayleigh should've been Zoro's mentor over the timeskip while Luffy trains with Garp, who had a change of heart after seeing Ace die and wanted to make sure Luffy was strong enough to protect himself in the NW.

Or it would've been really cool if Zoro somehow trained with Fujitora before he got recruited to the marines.
That 2nd option would have been cool too. A pre marine Fujitora meeting with Zoro and training him. That way Zoro vs Mihawk battle wouldn't turn into "I trained my student to beat me" trope, it's not necessary a bad trope but Oda simply didn't make it in a way to fit it.

Fujitora the baddass blind samurai putting Zoro through various trials of mental strength (mental strength=haki)

Shanks should have trained zoro
Vista would've been the perfect timeskip teacher.

Just create a scenario where Shiryu clapped Vista during the Payback war (have it be right after Marineford) with Vista retiring back to his home island and Kuma sends Zoro there beforehand.

Zoro begs Vista for Haki training, knowing that Zoro's a friend of Ace's brother, Vista senses WSS potential within him and agrees. Zoro surpasses him by the end of timeskip then goes on to avenge him by clapping Shiryu EoS.

On the other hand, Mihawk never met Zoro or Perona during the timeskip, so he would've been less kind with a more ruthless, villainous role during the rest of the story as Zoro's clear, unquestionable final enemy. You might as well throw in Mihawk killing someone close to Zoro to fuel the rivalry.

Give us evil Mihawk ffs.

I will always say it
WSS as title and dream has been written poorly!
  • Zoro hasn't fought any legit swordman!
  • Nobody beside Zoro seeks the title
  • No rivals for Zoro
  • Mihawk training Zoro is stupid
  • Mihawk never beat any legit swordman!
  • Mihawk didn't visit wano nor has he challenged top fighters
  • No Yonko cares to even mention WSS title as something great

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
โ€Ž
Vista would've been the perfect timeskip teacher.

Just create a scenario where Shiryu clapped Vista during the Payback war (have it be right after Marineford) with Vista retiring back to his home island and Kuma sends Zoro there beforehand.

Zoro begs Vista for Haki training, knowing that Zoro's a friend of Ace's brother, Vista senses WSS potential within him and agrees. Zoro surpasses him by the end of timeskip then goes on to avenge him by clapping Shiryu EoS.

On the other hand, Mihawk never met Zoro or Perona during the timeskip, so he would've been less kind with a more ruthless, villainous role during the rest of the story as Zoro's clear, unquestionable final enemy. You might as well throw in Mihawk killing someone close to Zoro to fuel the rivalry.

Give us evil Mihawk ffs.
Vista would be shit.

Shanks can teach zoro what mihawk taught him. But we get more Mihawk lore from shanks perspective.

Lmao I know what it sounds like

But before my wg days I was big on the Mihawk train solely because I LOVED his Baratie introduction.

But people screaming "retard", "orphan", and other compliments soured me on discussing it positively with that group of people.
Mihawj introduction in Baratie is one of the most memorable part of one piece for me, but then you get the BS of him wanting a peaceful life and so on.

Where is the Mihawk of Baratie?

I will always say it
WSS as title and dream has been written poorly!
  • Zoro hasn't fought any legit swordman!
  • Nobody beside Zoro seeks the title
  • No rivals for Zoro
  • Mihawk training Zoro is stupid
  • Mihawk never beat any legit swordman!
  • Mihawk didn't visit wano nor has he challenged top fighters
  • No Yonko cares to even mention WSS title as something great
In a place like Wano, he didnโ€™t fight a single worthy Swordsman. Were all the swordsman good people on Wano? I donโ€™t think so. Zoro bvs King was definitely a nice fight. But they could have at least give Zoro an opponent who was a swordsman.