Are people to blame for what their ancestors did?

No, you can not expect someone to be responsible for something he didn't do. With topic such as WW2/slavery, there isn't one group or person to blame. Issues like that arise from a variety of reasons with complicated background, so unless you are going to have every single element involved take responsibility, don't bother distributing it in the first place.

S

Shelby

I wouldn't judge a German in 2021 for stuff that the Nazi's did 80 years ago, that's silly. But I'd judge a German (or anyone really) who denied the Holocaust or acted like it was justified. Same for any other genocide.

Short answer: No

Long answer: No one should feel responsible for descending from someone that taken part in the mass extinctions of Heath hens, dodos, thylacines, and countless other animals in the past. Just blame the person who killed said animal, living or dead. You shouldn’t carry that burden since you never had interest in hunting or going after endangered protected species in the first place.

Duh.

The individual have no fault on the things that happen before he was born.

But institutions and groups that have gained advantages and profit with this crimes have responsability for them, especially if those institutions keep using the advantages that they created to keep the system that opress people in place.

A good example would be the slavery in the Americas. The people enslaved and the people who profit from the enslavement are all dead, but the racism created by the slavery still exist today and the advantages that the descendents of slave owners have are very clear to see in Brazil, US and Caribean.

I'm from Brazil the place to where half of all enslaved Africans where bring, and anyone who look at my country can see that Black and Indigenous descendents suffer a lot from the opression created in colonial times, being the vast majority of the poor and subjects to extremely high levels of state violence, while the descendents of the Portuguese Imperial Family and the Colonial Nobility, that were the slave owners, are some of the richiest people in the country, being the owners of the Banks, Big Media coorporations and large landowners or are army Generals, Politicians and Judges that still control the country, so i think they keep the system created back in slavery times in place to keep the power and have part in the crimes against natives, enslaved people descendents and poor immigrants.

We're not our ancestors. But then our generations could be blamed for maintaining stuffs which are very blamable and which need to be cut out of our world. Imo we should get rid of nations. So people would stop to judge each others by what they have as nationality. Instead we put themed regions. Ex: science region, sport region, art region, etc...
Humans are part animals, being territorial is just in our nature and all countries were created as a result of conflict, the borders of a country weren't created through a meeting of brainstorming, they were created through force

Your idea ignores human nature and there are many reasons for people to judge each other besides one's nation.

I wouldn't judge a German in 2021 for stuff that the Nazi's did 80 years ago, that's silly. But I'd judge a German (or anyone really) who denied the Holocaust or acted like it was justified. Same for any other genocide.
You can judge the Nazi's but you weren't there 80 years ago, I've learned there are two sides to every story and when you only hear one side it makes someone look like a monster untill you hear their side.

The problem is they were defeated, the winners tell the tale so you'll only ever get half the picture.

This is a very complicated question.

In Brazil where I live there are so many social problems that arouse from the very late abolishment of slavery and so much corruption that it is very hard to say.

I believe the core of the problem lies in fitting people into groups like everybody of this group thinks or acts alike. The world is not like that.

But you cannot deny that many groups won lots of privileges due to many horrible historic events.

Thinking about cololianism, slavery, Hiroshima, middle east conflicts, genocides that happened in every continent it is easy to understand why there is so much hate in this world.

The very foundation of human history is conflict, war and hatred.

BUT every generation has the power to write its own history with their personal life choices and I think this is one of the most powerful lessons from One Piece
Post automatically merged:

in conclusion

Answering the question of the topic.

It is a personal choice to blame other people (or ancestors) for all the problems of your life. But what is accomplished by that? Each individual must find the answer and path for their lives. But I also understand it is very difficult to do that depending on the conditions you are born into.

Like in fishman island, it was much easier for the royal family members to give up their hatred against humans than the orphans ir the people who were forced to slave labor.

Despite all his efforts, at the very end Fisher Tiger could not stop hating humans.

The Tenryubito Donquixote family members are also very interesting to understand the world we live in.

It is not so simple for the privileged ones to give up their privileges.

The cycle of hate has been there for so long, generations and much effort are necessary to change mentalities.

And there is always room in the power positions for crazy psychopaths

Last edited:
Nobody choose his family.
Individuals seems like each other but we still all different.

Point Goldwin :

Who could have predicted that a Street Aquarelist would become one of the most hated men in history ?

Who could have predicted that This Guy or That Woman would spend his / her life serving God ?

🗡️

MangoSenpai

Argonauts, roll out!
No, this is bullshit, I did not hit her. I did not.

Oh, Hi Mark!

joking aside, it is bs, what your ancestors did are of no consequence of your own, anyone who thinks otherwise need to be put in a mental hospital.

Literally how are you supposed to even be held accountable for it?
You didn't even exist when said event happened, sure you can acknowledge that it has happened, and that there has been consequenses for it, but this doesn't mean you need to be held accountable for it.

If the case is mistrust and whatever, it is understandable, hatred and fear doesn't subdue out of thin air.
Things takes time, and there needs to be a will from both sides to get to a mutually good conclution to whatever it is.