Current Events At this rate, Luffy will be the One Piece.

Is Luffy a trash character now?

• Total voters
He might defeat Kaido but I guess he has been losing too many battles before winning the war for my taste.
This is the bullshit. Luffy is allowed to lose as many battles he wants. But the villain can't lose once.
Then we have all people getting beat up and being nerfed to further battles but Luffy is the only person who gets beat up, knock out and comes back even stronger than before.
Not only that, but Oda keeps saying he is getting weaker but he only shows Luffy doing greater feats while getting weaker by mere words.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
This is the bullshit. Luffy is allowed to lose as many battles he wants. But the villain can't lose once.
Then we have all people getting beat up and being nerfed to further battles but Luffy is the only person who gets beat up, knock out and comes back even stronger than before.
Not only that, but Oda keeps saying he is getting weaker but he only shows Luffy doing greater feats while getting weaker by mere words.
Oda was presumably like "The Grandmaster has to be nerfed so let's pull Hakai or else things will fall apart too soon"

Oda was presumably like "The Grandmaster has to be nerfed so let's pull Hakai or else things will fall apart too soon"
I kind of defend Hakai as a short term power up to Zoro but mid-long term nerf to him. Because of Hakai Zoro was able to left a scar on Kaido using Enma(nerf), probably unlocked Adv CoC on that Ashura because of the extreme situation Hakai made on him.
But the bad part is Luffy losing one more time even before the asspulling of him using Adv CoC on Kaido.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
I mean he’s already Joyboy, Nika, Son of Dragon, Grandson of Garp, a D, has Conquerers Haki, has Voice of all things, and apparently now has a fucking special devil fruit. Wano has completely and utterly destroyed Luffy’s character with this destiny and prophecy bullshit. Oh and I forgot that

This shit is completely ridiculous. People bashed Naruto for the prophecy bullshit and now One Piece is doing the same thing, and it’s as trash as it was in Naruto lol. At this rate I wouldn’t be surprised if Luffy was the One Piece all along
:suresure:

What do you guys think of Luffy having every fucking destiny and special thing in One Piece connected to him?
I lowkey still hope Oda abandons this.

Being the grandson of Garp and son of Dragon, okay acceptable.

But the rest is urgh...

Gotta disagree on the Naruto reference. Pre war saga Naruto handled the prophecy plot much better than One Piece. In One Piece it is forced on you. Like Oda is shoving Luffy down our throats whereas in Naruto it was given to us via backstory or emotional moments like when Naruto met his father for the first time.
Post automatically merged:

Oda revived a character he spent an entire saga trying to kill and got away with it. He could kill someone in public and OP fans would defend him lol
Oda fanbase is no different than Trump fanbase. No matter what trump does he is going to have a loyal fanbase. No matter how bad Oda writes he is going to have a loyal fanbase. Humans are so easy to manipulate. It’s just blind idol worship at this point.

Last edited:
Gotta disagree on the Naruto reference. Pre war saga Naruto handled the prophecy plot much better than One Piece. In One Piece it is forced on you. Like Oda is shoving Luffy down our throats whereas in Naruto it was given to us via backstory or emotional moments like when Naruto met his father for the first time.
Not really. The reason why it wasn't given attention other than being obvious for the Naruto dad revelation is that the majority of the series wasn't planned out to begin with. That and Naruto didnt even had the prophecy stuff until the last third of the series, that and say what you will about the prophecy plot but so far, its far more fleshed out than people are willing to admit but that's a discussion for another time. OP by comparison was far more structured as it knew how to get to point A to B, even by the time we reach the post time skip. Oda shoving Luffy down our throats because Luffy is the main character who goes through the most trials and tribulations and has the goal that carries the entire series. Like how is that a bad thing? Your upset because Oda isn't getting side tracked?
Oda fanbase is no different than Trump fanbase. No matter what trump does he is going to have a loyal fanbase. No matter how bad Oda writes he is going to have a loyal fanbase. Humans are so easy to manipulate. It’s just blind idol worship at this point.
That's literally ANY fandom though. You could have the best written piece of media and still have a bunch of nutjobs. Quality wont change that inevitable outcome.

Not really. The reason why it wasn't given attention other than being obvious for the Naruto dad revelation is that the majority of the series wasn't planned out to begin with. That and Naruto didnt even had the prophecy stuff until the last third of the series, that and say what you will about the prophecy plot but so far, its far more fleshed out than people are willing to admit but that's a discussion for another time.
I don't understand this comment.

OP by comparison was far more structured as it knew how to get to point A to B, even by the time we reach the post time skip
OP is 100% structured. You are definitely right about that. However, structure doesn't mean quality. Regurgitating the same structure every arc with the same formula just goes to show how little creativity Oda has.

Oda shoving Luffy down our throats because Luffy is the main character who goes through the most trials and tribulations and has the goal that carries the entire series. Like how is that a bad thing? Your upset because Oda isn't getting side tracked?
I am talking about the amount of Luffy being shoved down our throats. Pretime skip Oda focused on Luffy however he had to also focus on the other strawhats whereas post time skip has been nothing short of nonstop Luffy hero moments. Where Oda actually sacrifices other characters developments in order to make Luffy look good.

That's literally ANY fandom though. You could have the best written piece of media and still have a bunch of nutjobs. Quality wont change that inevitable outcome.
Again I am talking about the amount. I was on forums during the Naruto period and people were freely openly criticizing it . Youtuber reviewers were freely openly criticizing it. AOT was also the same way especially during the political arc. However, One Piece fanbase, you can never see any manga reviewer YouTuber criticize it. The forums also didn't like any dissent of One Piece. worstgen has been a great surprise because you do see it but in other forums I was on like MangaFox, I was the only voice of dissent.

I don't understand this comment.
Kishimoto has stated many times that a lot of Naruto wasnt planned out and were mostly influenced by the editorials
https://naruto.fandom.com/f/p/2421257698017422741
Heres a link to a summary of an interview Kishi had (the video was deleted though) that goes in depth to his making of Naruto. OP has never had most major plot lines created from the start but Oda stated that he always had the ending in store and he has stated he clearly is close to the end. SO given the Joyboy plot line is heavily tied to the core themes of inherited will and the treasure itself, there has been many plot points up to this point that gives this revelation far more nuance to the narrative. But again that's a discussion for another time.
OP is 100% structured. You are definitely right about that. However, structure doesn't mean quality. Regurgitating the same structure every arc with the same formula just goes to show how little creativity Oda has.
Structure is very important to quality of your story because its how you pace your narrative. As for the formula rehashing argument I understand it but its usually surface level complaints like the obvious "main character beats big bad and save island and make people happy" that in of it self doesn't explain why its bad. Its a inevitability if you are trying to maintain your narrative and its themes that they eventually merge with one another. Its just that now theirs enough material of OP for people to put together the pieces and thus most of the conflict can be boring for some as you wait for an outcome you mostly can predict. That's not really a bad writing as you simply knowing better.
I am talking about the amount of Luffy being shoved down our throats. Pretime skip Oda focused on Luffy however he had to also focus on the other strawhats whereas post time skip has been nothing short of nonstop Luffy hero moments. Where Oda actually sacrifices other characters developments in order to make Luffy look good.
I feel as though its not that Luffy is getting more screentime as the strawhats are most of the time getting less. I dont want Luffy to pull a Goku or Naruto where he becomes absent for most of the time and takes the win by the end making that victory feel hollow. As you said about the rehash situation, Im positive Oda is well aware of it and try to circumvent through the side characters more often than not to give that arc more unique traits to stand out on its own. And for the sake of pacing or the simple reason being Oda doesn't need a reason to keep tabs on straw hats 24/7, the straw hat members can usually fall to the waste side. People have favorites and eventually become upset when they feel they don't give enough attention to them and take it out on Luffy despite him having the most valid reasons to keep tabs on more than anyone else as he is the MC.
Again I am talking about the amount. I was on forums during the Naruto period and people were freely openly criticizing it . Youtuber reviewers were freely openly criticizing it. AOT was also the same way especially during the political arc. However, One Piece fanbase, you can never see any manga reviewer YouTuber criticize it. The forums also didn't like any dissent of One Piece. worstgen has been a great surprise because you do see it but in other forums I was on like MangaFox, I was the only voice of dissent.
Well maybe that goes to show how poorly written Naruto has gotten by that time. Plus Naruto was the poster child of anime here in the west so more eyes were on it because of that compared to OP. Before chosen plotline people were making fun of Naruto lack of agency as well as his obsession over sasuke despite his goal to become hokage which led to not meaning much once Naruto defeated Pain. AoT was largely a mixed bad from what Ive seen because of the weird 180 with Eren personality from your generic stock rage filled protag who would ride and die for his friends to cold genocidal maniac who on the surface couldn't give a shit for his friends. Most people were on board for the latter simply because it was something different from what typically played out. Shit started hitting the fan when the author wanted to keep taking pages out of GoT book and add a convoluted time travel element. Compare that to people complaints for op where "turns out the MC might be the chosen one" every one will look at you and say AND? Its fine to call out on but feels tame in comparison. Besides their still is a vocal minority of people who dont like PTS OP and has pretty big support. Dog piling is expected, which is a good thing worst gen keeps that to a minimum for the most part.

Kishimoto has stated many times that a lot of Naruto wasnt planned out and were mostly influenced by the editorials
https://naruto.fandom.com/f/p/2421257698017422741
Heres a link to a summary of an interview Kishi had (the video was deleted though) that goes in depth to his making of Naruto. OP has never had most major plot lines created from the start but Oda stated that he always had the ending in store and he has stated he clearly is close to the end. SO given the Joyboy plot line is heavily tied to the core themes of inherited will and the treasure itself, there has been many plot points up to this point that gives this revelation far more nuance to the narrative. But again that's a discussion for another time.
Okay good for him? I never said Kishimoto didn't create the "prophecy out his ass" now did I? I said, Kishimoto handled the "prophecy" better. You are committing a strawman fallacy, arguing a position that I never claimed.

Structure is very important to quality of your story because its how you pace your narrative. As for the formula rehashing argument I understand it but its usually surface level complaints like the obvious "main character beats big bad and save island and make people happy" that in of it self doesn't explain why its bad. Its a inevitability if you are trying to maintain your narrative and its themes that they eventually merge with one another. Its just that now theirs enough material of OP for people to put together the pieces and thus most of the conflict can be boring for some as you wait for an outcome you mostly can predict. That's not really a bad writing as you simply knowing better.
Again, yet another strawman fallacy. I never said structure isn't important. I said structure doesn't mean quality. Learn how to read and comprehend dude.

I feel as though its not that Luffy is getting more screentime as the strawhats are most of the time getting less.
The evidence says otherwise. Posttime skip has a lot more Luffy "shoved down our faces" than pretimeskip.

I dont want Luffy to pull a Goku or Naruto where he becomes absent for most of the time and takes the win by the end making that victory feel hollow. .
So instead you want the opponent to keep beating luffy many rounds and luffy getting back up where he barely even touched the opponent and still ends up winning? Okay that alternative sounds so much better than the Naruto alternative where it is mostly tactics related.

As you said about the rehash situation, Im positive Oda is well aware of it and try to circumvent through the side characters more often than not to give that arc more unique traits to stand out on its own. And for the sake of pacing or the simple reason being Oda doesn't need a reason to keep tabs on straw hats 24/7, the straw hat members can usually fall to the waste side. People have favorites and eventually become upset when they feel they don't give enough attention to them and take it out on Luffy despite him having the most valid reasons to keep tabs on more than anyone else as he is the MC
Dude wtf are you babbling about? It is FACT that the strawhats outside of Luffy haven't been given the same screen time as pretime skip. That isn't debatable at all. Robin has been cast aside. Nami and Usopp are now strictly just gag characters. Franky outside the Senior Pink fight has been given little to no screen time. Chopper has been reduce to a merchandise sells pitch marketing ploy. List goes on and on. This isn't debatable.

Well maybe that goes to show how poorly written Naruto has gotten by that time.
Yes, the same with how poorly written One Piece is now.