Powers & Abilities At what point did Oda retcon Luffy's DF?

That Is when you eat chopper's fruit. Aka, a normal human zoan. Obv., in that specific case, what Transformation you can possibily expect? A Hybrid between a human and a human? A full Human Human?

Sengoku, instead, have at least one Transformation becuse he, like Luffy, isn't Just some normal Hito Hito: It's Hito Hito model something.
Yeah I know, I am just trying to string together an explanation for fun.
Wonder if an Hybrid Sengoku existed. If he had said something about an hybrid not existing I would have been happier.

Idk how anyone would look at what happened in the Kaido fight…wait me let me run that back….idk how ANYONE can look at the last 1000+ chapters and not realize the retcon in plain sight. His fruit literally went from being a regular paramecia to a mythical zoan that is in a category of its own even amongst the mythical zoans.

Oda definitely didn’t sit there in 1997 and think 🤔 I’m going to make a power system based on devil fruits and they will have classifications and my MC is going to have a paramecia class fruit based on rubber and then I will wait for years for him to fight a villian with PTSD and my MC will die in the fight only for me to reveal that he didn’t have a rubber fruit at all. Yeah no lol.
Luffy is the one character that Oda has put more thought into, and invested the most in, in the entire series.

If you really think that he just changed such an iconic devil fruit that was synonymous with Luffys character as a whole on a whim, then I don't know what to tell you.

It's like you guys don't think Oda understands the implications of what changing the Gomu Gomu no mi, would mean, and how it would be received.

We saw this with Ace. Oda had it set in stone that Ace was gonna die, and planned to do it fairly quick. That got derailed and Ace ended up becoming a widley popular character. Oda wouldn't budge though on Aces initial fate that he had planned, and killed him off, much to the negativity of the fandom.

It's who Oda is. If it's a plot point he had set in stone from early on, he is not going to change it no matter what.

The Gomu Gomu no mi became iconic over the last 25 years, and I sincerely doubt that it was just some whimsical decision made to change it.

Last edited: