Powers & Abilities At what point did Oda retcon Luffy's DF?

Wano for sure. In Dressrosa everything he was doing falled under a what a paramecia is capable of. Irregularities such as attaching strings to clouds have always served as extensions to a given paramecia’s capabilities as determined by the user. Luffy doing things that are not natural to the substance of rubber albeit still having a basis in rubber is not a sign of a retcon at all. This retcon came in Wano.

All of Luffy’s gears have been based on rubber one way or another whether that would be him expanding his bones for or his muscles for G4. or pumping blood for G2. The only gear that isn’t based on rubber is G5 and it took retconning the entire fruit plus Luffy officially dying to bring it forth lol.

Among the other things, we have literally Oda's words as proves, as a matter of fact lol.
Yeah I've used those too, like bringing up interviews where Oda openly admits that he thinks of things years in advance, but the story gets stretched out, so it takes forever before he can introduce it into the story, but that's not good enough ether. So it is what it is....

Obviously Wano.

Oda used past references to come up with Nika. It’s more of a callback than foreshadowing
Post automatically merged:

Yeah I've used those too, like bringing up interviews where Oda openly admits that he thinks of things years in advance, but the story gets stretched out, so it takes forever before he can introduce it into the story, but that's not good enough ether. So it is what it is....
He also admits to coming up with things last minute

Yeah. The one I used was quite specific tbh, It Is what It Is.

I doubt anyone would change his idea.

The problem is that only Oda can say if he had it in mind or not.
Both of you are right, and have good reason.
From my perspective, there were 0 ways of foreshadowing anything without giving it away, given the autism of the One Piece fanbase.
I believe Oda had plans for the gom gom.

Idk how anyone would look at what happened in the Kaido fight…wait me let me run that back….idk how ANYONE can look at the last 1000+ chapters and not realize the retcon in plain sight. His fruit literally went from being a regular paramecia to a mythical zoan that is in a category of its own even amongst the mythical zoans.

Oda definitely didn’t sit there in 1997 and think 🤔 I’m going to make a power system based on devil fruits and they will have classifications and my MC is going to have a paramecia class fruit based on rubber and then I will wait for years for him to fight a villian with PTSD and my MC will die in the fight only for me to reveal that he didn’t have a rubber fruit at all. Yeah no lol.

Idk how anyone would look at what happened in the Kaido fight…wait me let me run that back….idk how ANYONE can look at the last 1000+ chapters and not realize the retcon in plain sight. His fruit literally went from being a regular paramecia to a mythical zoan that is in a category of its own even amongst the mythical zoans.

Oda definitely didn’t sit there in 1997 and think 🤔 I’m going to make a power system based on devil fruits and they will have classifications and my MC is going to have a paramecia class fruit based on rubber and then I will wait for years for him to fight a villian with PTSD and my MC will die in the fight only for me to reveal that he didn’t have a rubber fruit at all. Yeah no lol.
"Regular paramecia" my ass, my friend.
And i am not here defending the retcon, but luffy should just be rubber, which means Gear 3 makes 0 sense, as he would just be bigger, not stronger.
Gear second barely makes sense.
Gear 4 lol, even doffy points it out.
Red hawk makes fire?
Come on

Can't wait till he reveals what the One Piece is, and you guys start saying he made that up the night before as well, because you know you're going to. I'm predicting it right now, lol
I am not saying he makes up every shit the night before - I believe he had plans for some stuff from the beginning such as one piece, D clan, ancient kingdom, Blackbeard, etc.

There are a couple of things here though:
1. Take One Piece for example. If One Piece's reveal contradicts the info Oda gave us throughout the years then its a last-minute retcon. For example, One Piece has to be a physical reward - cant be a bs like the journey is the reward.
2. Its a manga of ~1200 chapters. There is no way Oda planned for everything, especially when we know for a fact that his initial plan was just for a 5-year manga. For example, a major addition like worst generation, which completely changed the structure of the post timeskip, was added on a whim.

the basic outline VP have us fits perfectly with the already established themes
All I know is a certain professor was supposed to explain the mechanism of devil fruits. Nobody expected a lame "devil fruit = desire" explanation from the Einstein of One Piece. Any Tom, Dick or Harry could theorize this shit. Even Shanks had a better theory that the devil fruits are reincarnations of sea devils.

And i am not here defending the retcon, but luffy should just be rubber, which means Gear 3 makes 0 sense, as he would just be bigger, not stronger.
Red hawk makes fire?
Come on
This line of thinking doesn’t reflect the actual story. The reality is that no one paramecia ability based on a substance on the real world is going to have all of the limitations of said substance, anyone who’s seen the series been knowing this. I mean you mention Doffy, man was able to fly by attaching strings to clouds how does that make sense? With Luffy being a superhuman it logically follows that growing in size would obviously increase his attack power that’s like the easiest one. G2 is easily explained away via him being able to pump blood at a rapid rate. G4 utilized his muscles, I mean what part of all of this isn’t classifiable as a paramecia? Are we reading the same manga?

Instances in which he has used red hawk or Thor lightning it’s always been used in conjunction with haki and people been assuming it has something to do with haki for the longest time.

Red hawk makes fire?
Come on
Even Zoro make Fire, so? And Sanji, way before the genes shit?

Luffy's zoan Is the only zoan that doesn't have human and hybrid and Just unlock a new one with Awakening.

This line of thinking doesn’t reflect the actual story. The reality is that no one paramecia ability based on a substance on the real world is going to have all of the limitations of said substance, anyone who’s seen the series been knowing this. I mean you mention Doffy, man was able to fly by attaching strings to clouds how does that make sense? With Luffy being a superhuman it logically follows that growing in size would obviously increase his attack power that’s like the easiest one. G2 is easily explained away via him being able to pump blood at a rapid rate. G4 utilized his muscles, I mean what part of all of this isn’t classifiable as a paramecia? Are we reading the same manga?

Instances in which he has used red hawk or Thor lightning it’s always been used in conjunction with haki and people been assuming it has something to do with haki for the longest time.
Even Zoro make Fire, so? And Sanji, way before the genes shit?

Luffy's zoan Is the only zoan that doesn't have human and hybrid and Just unlock a new one with Awakening.
I am not here to defend the retcon, again.
But Luffy's fruit has shown "multiple transformations" as no other, and I claim this quit firlmy, NO OTHER fruit has shown.
It is not just a "regular paramecia".
A regular paramecia is the Noro Noro or Buggy's.
Luffy can:
  • Increase in size and exponentially increase his strength (opposite of rubber)
  • Pump his blood to go faster because his blood vesselse are.. Rubbery? It makes sense, he can hold higher pressure
  • Make himself harder with haki, rigid yet stretchy? (Opposite of rubber again)
  • Create fire (Not haki)
Even Doffy's fruit can be remotely explained with his strings, he can manipulate them to make what he wants and so on.
But Doffy's strings cannot do anything a string cannot do.
Luffy's rubber has always done whatever Luffy wanted.

I am not here to defend the retcon, again.
But Luffy's fruit has shown "multiple transformations" as no other, and I claim this quit firlmy, NO OTHER fruit has shown.
It is not just a "regular paramecia".
A regular paramecia is the Noro Noro or Buggy's.
Luffy can:
  • Increase in size and exponentially increase his strength (opposite of rubber)
  • Pump his blood to go faster because his blood vesselse are.. Rubbery? It makes sense, he can hold higher pressure
  • Make himself harder with haki, rigid yet stretchy? (Opposite of rubber again)
  • Create fire (Not haki)
Even Doffy's fruit can be remotely explained with his strings, he can manipulate them to make what he wants and so on.
But Doffy's strings cannot do anything a string cannot do.
Luffy's rubber has always done whatever Luffy wanted.
Gears are not (at all) trasformations like Zoans.

Luffy himself had to come with an idea about them and have a completely different working form, idk, P1 become a dinosauro.

Or he does that shit purposely because for 25 years it's worked to keep people engaged and talking about the series.

I always find it hilarious how all these things that seemed to be connected throughout the series just gets brushed off as giant coincidences by you guys though. It's amazing how one artist just blindly writes a story full of coincidences and accidentally became the best selling manga artist by a landslide.

Can't wait till he reveals what the One Piece is, and you guys start saying he made that up the night before as well, because you know you're going to. I'm predicting it right now, lol
Oda retcons liberally. Where I’ll give him credit is that he is much better than most authors at hiding it, and it’s clear he regularly goes back and studies chapters from the distant past to keep things consistent.

That said, if you read finely enough between the lines, you’ll find a lot of cracks. His chief technique is to leave things vague in the present so that he can fill them in in the future without breaking consistency and making it look like he’s just building suspense.

Ie when he vaguely throws out something about a “major incident yet to happen” chances are he doesn’t actually know what it is. He can figure out what it is years later and insert it into the story while looking like he cleverly had it planned all this time.

The nika fruit didn’t even have any of that though. It was an obvious spur of the moment decision that doesn’t even attempt to tie into any references from the past. It’s not just a retcon, it’s a sloppy retcon, and arguably an unnecessary one at that.

Fair.
And I was saying that Luffy's Is the first Zoan that doesn't have a clear base, full zoan and hybrid.

Luffy also got a new form with Awakening and stop.

But It's no wonder: because It wasn't a zoan before.
God, I don't like the retcon, but it's consistent with what Oda said would happen if a human were to eat the Hito Hito fruit. They would just lose their ability to swim.
So in the retcon mindset: Nika is a human with rubbery powers. Luffy eats it and is a regular human with rubbery powers.
When it awakens you get the awakening shit, but it expands the powers and gives you a new look, which we have seen happen to Zoans.. I hate that it kinda makes sense.
Post automatically merged:

Oda retcons liberally. Where I’ll give him credit is that he is much better than most authors at hiding it, and it’s clear he regularly goes back and studies chapters from the distant past to keep things consistent.

That said, if you read finely enough between the lines, you’ll find a lot of cracks. His chief technique is to leave things vague in the present so that he can fill them in in the future without breaking consistency and making it look like he’s just building suspense.

Ie when he vaguely throws out something about a “major incident yet to happen” chances are he doesn’t actually know what it is. He can figure out what it is years later and insert it into the story while looking like he cleverly had it planned all this time.

The nika fruit didn’t even have any of that though. It was an obvious spur of the moment decision that doesn’t even attempt to tie into any references from the past. It’s not just a retcon, it’s a sloppy retcon, and arguably an unnecessary one at that.
Can you show me some examples of these "lot of cracks"?
I mean, except maybe volume 1 where One Piece was not the story, what are these clear cracks that prove retcons?

Is Goa Kingdom a retcon?

God, I don't like the retcon, but it's consistent with what Oda said would happen if a human were to eat the Hito Hito fruit. They would just lose their ability to swim.
So in the retcon mindset: Nika is a human with rubbery powers. Luffy eats it and is a regular human with rubbery powers.
When it awakens you get the awakening shit, but it expands the powers and gives you a new look, which we have seen happen to Zoans.. I hate that it kinda makes sense.
That Is when you eat chopper's fruit. Aka, a normal human zoan. Obv., in that specific case, what Transformation you can possibily expect? A Hybrid between a human and a human? A full Human Human?

Sengoku, instead, have at least one Transformation becuse he, like Luffy, isn't Just some normal Hito Hito: It's Hito Hito model something.

All I know is a certain professor was supposed to explain the mechanism of devil fruits. Nobody expected a lame "devil fruit = desire" explanation from the Einstein of One Piece. Any Tom, Dick or Harry could theorize this shit. Even Shanks had a better theory that the devil fruits are reincarnations of sea devils.
Lmfao