Powers & Abilities At what point did Oda retcon Luffy's DF?

Whilst I do believe that gear 5 is a retcon I just want to bring up a few points here, because I also don't think it's unreasonable to believe gear 5 was part of the original 'grand plan'.

To begin with it's difficult to believe a pirate like Shanks was just walking around with a random bum fruit. And Oda has had a fetish with western cartoons/media since day 1, Luffy was always doing cartoonish goofy stuff. He also introduced the concept of gods relatively early in the story (skypia).

I know those are pretty small points but with that in mind it's at the very least believable to say that gear 5 was the original plan and gear 2/3/4 were the actual retcons that were introduced when Oda realised he had to stretch out the story.

I don't know why people just can't accept the possibility that it was just meant to be that way from the beginning. The name of the first arc was Romance Dawn. Luffy set out from Dawn Island. The two prototypes to One Piece were also called Romance Dawn, and in one of the prototypes the Gomu Gomu no Mi was worth 5 billion berries, which means it was always meant to be a special fruit.

Romance is a narrative genre involving mystery, and adventure, that focuses on bravery and strong values.

Dawn is the rising of the Sun.

The first arc and two protorypes titles literally translate to "The Mystery/Adventure of the rising of the Sun".

Through this mysterious adventure the Straw Hats have gone on, Luffy became the Sun God. "The rising of the Sun God" He is the Sun who will bring light to the World

There is countless other connections that people have pointed out, but all of it just gets ignored, and people act like the only possibility is that it was a Retcon.

The issue here, is people wanted so bad for Luffy's connection to Joyboy to be something like reincarnation, so they could shit all over the generically overused plot point, and when it turned out to be connected to the Gomu Gomu no Mi, they needed something else to cry about, so "retcon" it is. Oda has always been a master at thinking outside the box, so taking the tired reincarnation trope, and turning it on it's head, by having Luffy connected to a figure from the past via his Devil Fruit is 100 percent something he would have come up with a long time ago when thinking about how his main protagonist will progress through the story.

Added Bonus:

On Alabasta Crocodile hinted at Devil Fruit awakenings by talking about completely Mastering a devil fruit, so there were plans for Devil Fruits to be able to be evolved way back in the beginning of the story

Last edited:
I don't know why people just can't accept the possibility that it was just meant to be that way from the beginning. The name of the first arc was Romance Dawn. Luffy set out from Dawn Island. The two prototypes to One Piece were also called Romance Dawn, and in one of the prototypes the Gomu Gomu no Mi was worth 5 billion berries, which means it was always meant to be a special fruit.

Romance is a narrative genre involving mystery, and adventure, that focuses on bravery and strong values.

Dawn is the rising of the Sun.

The first arc and two protorypes titles literally translate to "The Mystery/Adventure of the rising of the Sun".

Through this mysterious adventure the Straw Hats have gone on, Luffy became the Sun God. "The rising of the Sun God" He is the Sun who will bring light to the World

There is countless other connections that people have pointed out, but all of it just gets ignored, and people act like the only possibility is that it was a Retcon.

Added Bonus:

On Alabasta Crocodile hinted at Devil Fruit awakenings by talking about completely Mastering a devil fruit, so there were plans for Devil Fruits to be able to be evolved way back in the beginning of the story.
Because Lolda makes a lot of shit up on the fly. 5 years manga got stretched to 25 years, made up shichibukais, made up supernovas, I am not buying these imaginary hints.

Because Lolda makes a lot of shit up on the fly. 5 years manga got stretched to 25 years, made up shichibukais, made up supernovas, I am not buying these imaginary hints.
Yeah everything is just one big 25 year long coincidence...... :joker:

Or did you ever think that maybe he just took the core story that he wanted to tell in five years, and stretched it out from there, and many of the things he was going to do in that five year time frame, had to get pushed back farther and farther?

Bro just look at the lazy explanation of the devil fruit origins. I suspect Lolda even made that shit up before the chapter. He fooled you simpletons.
Lazt how? Because it wasn't the generic bullshit "It fell off some special tree" that everyone was expecting? Lmao, THAT would have been lazy.

We've literally seen people throughout the series without Devil Fruits manifesting special abilities. So the explanation that the powers come from the desires of people makes 100 percent sense, because different people can use different abilities even without devil fruits.

How else would you explain how people manifested special abilities without devil fruits?

Lazt how? Because it wasn't the generic bullshit "It fell off some special tree" that everyone was expecting? Lmao, THAT would have been lazy.

We've literally seen people throughout the series without Devil Fruits manifesting special abilities. So the explanation that the powers come from the desires of people makes 100 percent sense, because different people can use different abilities even without devil fruits.

How else would you explain how people manifested special abilities without devil fruits?
IMO Adam tree theory is better, not great, but at least better than "devil fruit = desire"

Read Kingdom and Riboku greatness. Lolda is finished.

IMO Adam tree theory is better, not great, but at least better than "devil fruit = desire"

Read Kingdom and Riboku greatness. Lolda is finished.
It in no way shape or form would have made any sense as to how a tree can give birth to all these insane abilities that defy physics. Having the abilities being the manifestation of peoples desires makes sense, because with billions of people in the World, the possibility of these abilities are endless. Different people with different ways of thinking, bringing about abilities tailor made to their desires is the perfect explanation for how these physic defying Devil Fruits exist.