Best Character Development Round 1 Bracket 1

WHO WINS EACH FIGHT?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adam ๐ŸŽ

Pretty Boy
โ€Ž
It is not naive because it actual works IRL

Domestic violence often shows a cycle of increasing violence, followed by "give me another chance", until the day the victim is killed.
You are talking about letting domestic violence continue with little to no effort in rehabilitating the abuser.

Rehabilitation is, indeed, necessary, but so is the victim's protection and well being.
And where was is stated it isn't?

They continue to pursue their abusive ways because, more often than not, the victims are blamed for the abuse.
Again, you are talking about a very specific situation where the abuser isn't monitored or properly sanctioned.

IRL it works way different, we try to mend the relationship and slowly build a foundation the abuser and abused can work on together to fix issues that had. Abuser in majority of cases are people with little confidence or self esteem so they choose to take their anger and frustration on other, if you can detect the cause you can also aim to fix it.

So essentially it's a bunch of nobles screwing with each other and the worst of them gets to dominate the others.
Welp, that sounds like a terrible plot for a story but I guess many people like that.
Well I'll have to disagree with you there. It's an exciting plotline to me. Then again I'm probably biased because I'm obsessed with the Middle Ages.

Anyways just watch episode 1 for yourself and see how you like it. If the cliffhanger at the end of episode 1 doesn't catch your eye, then the series isn't meant for you.

B

Ballel

That's naive.
Domestic violence often shows a cycle of increasing violence, followed by "give me another chance", until the day the victim is killed.
Rehabilitation is, indeed, necessary, but so is the victim's protection and well being.
They continue to pursue their abusive ways because, more often than not, the victims are blamed for the abuse.
Writers of fiction often have a very sugarcoated perspective on domestic abuse, same goes for those Stockholm syndrome rape stories where the abuser 'turns good' and the victim falls in love with him.

There is a general lack of understanding for these kind of things in society.

Abuser in majority of cases are people with little confidence or self esteem so they choose to take their anger and frustration on other, if you can detect the cause you can also aim to fix it.
Depends on the kind of abuse.
Some are โ€”hopefullyโ€” like this, others never change and end up murdering the victim.

Adam ๐ŸŽ

Pretty Boy
โ€Ž
Depends on the kind of abuse.
It doesn't depend on the kind of abuse.

It depends on the person and their motives.

2 most typical abuser types are low self-esteem ones that abuse other to hide their insecurities with second being socio or psychopaths that abuse for pleasure derived from sexual fantasies

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
โ€Ž
It is not naive because it actual works IRL

You are talking about letting domestic violence continue with little to no effort in rehabilitating the abuser.

And where was is stated it isn't?

Again, you are talking about a very specific situation where the abuser isn't monitored or properly sanctioned.

IRL it works way different, we try to mend the relationship and slowly build a foundation the abuser and abused can work on together to fix issues that had. Abuser in majority of cases are people with little confidence or self esteem so they choose to take their anger and frustration on other, if you can detect the cause you can also aim to fix it.
Dude....not how it works around here.
Not like that, at all.
And I say this as someone who worked with this kind of thing. Who participates in discussions about the theme, who talks with people that currently work with it, etc.
The "let them fix it" thing is a nice and noble goal. But, unfortunately, reality dictates that, in the vast majority of cases, the victim will keep suffering until the day he/she dies.
This is not a merely "couple's issue". The roots of domestic violence are deeply spread on our society as a whole. On the values we perpetuate, etc.
Not to say the abuser can't change, but NO ONE should be OBLIGATED to live with its abuser because he/she "changed" and then, next month, get beat up again.

Adam ๐ŸŽ

Pretty Boy
โ€Ž
Dude....not how it works around here.
Not like that, at all.
And I say this as someone who worked with this kind of thing. Who participates in discussions about the theme, who talks with people that currently work with it, etc.
I work in this field last 3-4 year of my life.

The "let them fix it" thing is a nice and noble goal. But, unfortunately, reality dictates that, in the vast majority of cases, the victim will keep suffering until the day he/she dies.
Victim will keep suffering if you let the abuse continue. If the abuse stops and you work with them on mending the relationship the trauma and psychological damage is being healed.

This is not a merely "couple's issue". The roots of domestic violence are deeply spread on our society as a whole. On the values we perpetuate, etc.
Abuser has dozens of factors but all abusers are tied to the root of the abuse which is almost always - lack of confidence, lack of self esteem, lack of parental love and overall lack of attention

Not to say the abuser can't change, but NO ONE should be OBLIGATED to live with its abuser because he/she "changed" and then, next month, get beat up again.
And once again, you are clinging to one specific scenario and won't let go.

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
โ€Ž
I work in this field last 3-4 year of my life.

Victim will keep suffering if you let the abuse continue. If the abuse stops and you work with them on mending the relationship the trauma and psychological damage is being healed.

Abuser has dozens of factors but all abusers are tied to the root of the abuse which is almost always - lack of confidence, lack of self esteem, lack of parental love and overall lack of attention

And once again, you are clinging to one specific scenario and won't let go.
To be fair, I understand your approach. I think a practical and case by case action is important.
But the person, if committing a crime, is supposed to be held accountable. Now, putting someone in a cell and throwing the key away until the sentence is over, is not the solution.
The State, as being responsible for the well being of the society as a whole, is required to limit the criminal's access to others, as a way to prevent more damage. During this time, it is expected that the State provides the means for the abuser to receive a proper treatment, in a way that, when he/she reenters society, more damage will not happen again.
Not only that, but the victim also needs attention and care.
The problem with domestic violence, specifically, is that it usually takes time before the authorities are informed. It's almost never "hit me once, I go to the police". The victim suffers for different periods of time before any action is taken, IF it's taken.
Financial dependency is also often a factor.

In Endeavor's case, I don't have a problem that he changed, or that his wife and kids are trying to maintain the family together, etc. That's something extremely personal. My problem is that Endeavor faced Z-E-R-O legal repercussions, despite actually being a criminal himself.
Little psyco girl who definitely needs therapy? No no. villain. can never change. she was born like this because me, the author, want it.
Family abuser who screwed everyone around him? Good guy. He saw the errors of his ways. Now he's the big good guy and his family forgave him. Happy days.
Fuck that.