Chapter Discussion Chapter 268: Inhuman Makyo Shinjuku Showdown, Part 38

"The same goes for Kugisaki. I'd decided she would make her exit here."
"Since the moment i decided to do a dark story, I became very conscious of doing things when they needed to be done"

:willight:

GayGay pussied out & retconned Nobara when Manga sales dropped by 20% after Gojo died.
He didn’t say she was dead

You fool, he was talking about Nanami dying and then said "same goes for Nobara, she's making her exit here".

:milaugh:
Any time a mangaka uses vague language like that, assume they’re hiding something. Nobara “made her exit from the story” because she was absent for over 100 chapters. Both Nanami and Nobara exited the story in Shibuya, but Gege planned for Nobara to re-enter for the Sukuna fight

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince
Any time a mangaka uses vague language like that, assume they’re hiding something. Nobara “made her exit from the story” because she was absent for over 100 chapters. Both Nanami and Nobara exited the story in Shibuya, but Gege planned for Nobara to re-enter for the Sukuna fight
He didnt plan shit.
He planned on disposing the final finger to Rika. Then retconned it all to being a "bluff" to have Nobara come back.

It's just fanservice, to bring back a well liked character from the dead.

He didnt plan shit.
He planned on disposing the final finger to Rika. Then retconned it all to being a "bluff" to have Nobara come back.

It's just fanservice, to bring back a well liked character from the dead.
Bruh, you know he made that comment about Nobara "exiting the story" just a few weeks ago right? If it was years ago, then maybe he could've changed his mind, but obviously he already knew when answering that question that he'd bring her back to help finish off Sukuna. One of the first things that you do when storyboarding a fight is decide how it will end, so I seriously doubt that Gege ever intended for Rika eating the final finger to actually be true. It wouldn't even make much sense anyways if it was true. How would Sukuna not sense a portion of his soul being in Rika?

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Going out as a Nobara victim after she magically comes back from the dead? You're really asking me this?
I think that was the best way he could have went out in that situation. A classic Nobara/Yuji combo.

Not only is that a great way to involve your female lead, if you're going to bring her back, but it was a big reveal. And lastly, Sukuna was still about to beat Yuji and the rest despite everything they pulled off, beyond exhausted all their options, Yuji evolved as much as he possibly could, and yet they needed one last trick to do it.

IIRC wasn't Nobara's death never confirmed? Even at the sight of her body, it was stated they will see what they can do but chances were slim. Her coming back was always a major possibility. Gege just dropped her in that dead people spread a couple chapters before her return to make it all the more surprising.

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince
I think that was the best way he could have went out in that situation. A classic Nobara/Yuji combo.

Not only is that a great way to involve your female lead, if you're going to bring her back, but it was a big reveal. And lastly, Sukuna was still about to beat Yuji and the rest despite everything they pulled off, beyond exhausted all their options, Yuji evolved as much as he possibly could, and yet they needed one last trick to do it.

IIRC wasn't Nobara's death never confirmed? Even at the sight of her body, it was stated they will see what they can do but chances were slim. Her coming back was always a major possibility. Gege just dropped her in that dead people spread a couple chapters before her return to make it all the more surprising.
She was brought back alive solely for this moment & the slice of life at the end of the manga.

She didnt even see action, just had one interaction with Sukuna's finger and that bluff too was inserted at that chapter only. It makes it feel like a fanservice retcon after her "exiting the story" in Shibuya.

It feels cheap and unwarranted when the climax was building towards Yuji beating Sukuna. I prefer the ending to Mahito vs Yuji far more than Sukuna's ending tbvh.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
She was brought back alive solely for this moment & the slice of life at the end of the manga.

She didnt even see action, just had one interaction with Sukuna's finger and that bluff too was inserted at that chapter only. It makes it feel like a fanservice retcon after her "exiting the story" in Shibuya.

It feels cheap and unwarranted when the climax was building towards Yuji beating Sukuna. I prefer the ending to Mahito vs Yuji far more than Sukuna's ending tbvh.
I think there was always a big chance she is brought back, which is why her "death" was open ended. Gege was just tryna surprise the readers, if he kept hinting Nobara is alive in interviews it would not come as a shock to readers.

The fact that she didn't see action is why I think this is a fair tradeoff, she was kept in the back for majority of this manga at this point lmao, if you're bringing her back, make it count. She didn't contribute to anything prior to this, it's a fair trade for one of the main cast members who was ghosted.

JJK is a deconstruction of Shonen Manga and that has always been pretty clear.

Some people don’t like how Nobara was sidelined for over 50% of the manga but let’s be honest, she was always too weak to progress alongside Yuji and Megumi and it was so obvious when she fought alongside them.

We had Maki and Hana take over her role at regular intervals as the main female cast and frankly speaking they were far better suited to their roles in the Culling Game than Nobara.

Nobara’s role as a wild card soul-hitter was good too. That is what she was always been doing. That is what she is meant to do.

Gege had all their roles planned out pretty well. Only hardcore Nobara fans complain about her lack of screentime but the truth is she was never relevant to the main story for the most part and designed to be that way.

JJK is a deconstruction of Shonen Manga and that has always been pretty clear.

Some people don’t like how Nobara was sidelined for over 50% of the manga but let’s be honest, she was always too weak to progress alongside Yuji and Megumi and it was so obvious when she fought alongside them.

We had Maki and Hana take over her role at regular intervals as the main female cast and frankly speaking they were far better suited to their roles in the Culling Game than Nobara.

Nobara’s role as a wild card soul-hitter was good too. That is what she was always been doing. That is what she is meant to do.

Gege had all their roles planned out pretty well. Only hardcore Nobara fans complain about her lack of screentime but the truth is she was never relevant to the main story for the most part and designed to be that way.
As jjk became so battle-focused, yeah, Nobara had a specialized but intensely potent ability. She wasn’t built for pounding battles. That said, she was a much better “Sakura”. Nobara, like Megumi, were featured prominently early on. They were both implied and became pivotal at the right moment.
Personally, I think the Mechmaru and Miwa dynamic is, hands down, Gege at his best for character development.

All that buildup for Sukuna’s defeat and it just has those few panels of him getting black flashed out of Megumi and a few panels of him in a pathetic form.

Disappointing.

Some people legit theorized that Nobara would come back and use resonance on the last Sukuna finger :gokulaugh:

Yep, months and months ago I said it. Being able to read and comprehend at a middle school level made it possible.

I was piled on left and right about it. The detractors have gone silent. lol
Who knew piercing an unpiercable object was all it took. Something Gojo couldn't make a dent in was easy work via "binding vow" (read: "made up gibberish to dig myself out of this" - Gege Akutami)

Who knew piercing an unpiercable object was all it took. Something Gojo couldn't make a dent in was easy work via "binding vow" (read: "made up gibberish to dig myself out of this" - Gege Akutami)
refresh my memory, are sukuna's finger like untouchable?
Wasn't a plot point that Yuji is the only that can interact with them?