Questions & Mysteries Chimera Ant Arc vs Yorknew City Arc

R1:Which is better?/R2:Which do you like more?/R3:Better antagonists?/R4:Which antags u like more?

• Total voters
Prolly has to do with the fact that CAA is like 2.5 times longer than Yorknew and Yorknew is more fast paced with great action and very likeable characters in the form of the Troupe.

And the real MC of this manga the GOAT Kurapika :endthis:
:steef:
Yeah, it took some time to set up the scene for CAA for it to become enjoyable, initially I wasn't very engaged in it. But then it picked up and delivered! Yorknew had quite a simple premise and there was a lot of anticipation of main characters finally seeing each other, plus Phantom Troupe is interesting from the beginning. And yeah, Kurapika the GOAT, I like smart characters, so glad he's back in the Succession War arc, without him it could have been really boring.

Tyrant MUUGEN

呪のろいの王おう
Yorknew is the far superior arc - Chimera is overhyped along with Mereum.

Chrollo and Spiders are all most fleshed out as characters where even Uvo was given better treatment as a main antagonist compared to Mereum.

Neferpitou neg diffing Kite is what made the arc so memorable - then Spiders coming in to race against who will fight the daughter forgot her name.

Realistically speaking there is a very few memorable new characters introduced from Chimera arc where as you still have the same set of characters from York new leading the entire series in Spiders and Kurapika

Is it cuz of Hisoka lol? :wellwell:
Not just, I think it's far more interesting and dynamic. The Spiders are great villains with interesting villain interactions unlike the Ants who take a long long long ass time to find their footing in the transition from being animals to having a consciousness. And even when they do figure it out, only a few become somewhat likeable and relatable.

I spent half the arc yawning. Overhyped.

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
Not just, I think it's far more interesting and dynamic.
Dynamic and faster for sure, I agree.

unlike the Ants who take a long long long ass time to find their footing in the transition from being animals to having a consciousness.
That's the point tho and realistic imo. You don't just change everything over night. The development is key.

Do I think it could be better paced? Yeah, for sure. Tho I read in bulk so it was easier for me. Dunno about the anime tho.

I like the Spiders far more and the flashback was awesome, but think the Ants and especially Meruem were better written, which would prolly change with more focus on the Spiders. Tho let's be honest most people care about Chrollo, Hisoka, Illumi and maybe Feitan only. I forgot some of the names of the rest lmao.

RayanOO

Lazy is the way

That's the point tho and realistic imo. You don't just change everything over night. The development is key.

Do I think it could be better paced? Yeah, for sure. Tho I read in bulk so it was easier for me. Dunno about the anime tho.

I like the Spiders far more and the flashback was awesome, but think the Ants and especially Meruem were better written, which would prolly change with more focus on the Spiders. Tho let's be honest most people care about Chrollo, Hisoka, Illumi and maybe Feitan only. I forgot some of the names of the rest lmao.
Phinks, Uvo and Nobunaga are the best spiders

The issue with it taking a long time is not that I think development is bad, it's just that the time was wasted on many irrelevant Ants no one cared about. Or rather Togashi didn't make us care about most of them. Cause realistically only a few actually got some real development. And as for their transition into conscious beings - it was essentially like watching toddles become teens, which is even worse when the toddles aren't interesting characters.

The Spiders have a lot of more unique elements - like being a fictional unit and caring about each other, despite essentially being these weird loners. Acting like a "spider's" legs is not a concept you see every day among villains, even less when it actually works. The Ants just drifted from each other into loner territory like normal villain trope.

The only thing I can think of in Chimera arc's favor is that it was hella interesting to see Ants turn into the food the Queen ate, namely the humans. But even that felt unutilized in the end.

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
Also the fact that more people voted for the Spiders over the Ants just proves that Yorknew was far more effective for a way shorter plot time.
Agree Yorknew was a more efficient arc

But the Chimera turning humans, and having their memories back, creating conflicts etc interested me more

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
The issue with it taking a long time is not that I think development is bad, it's just that the time was wasted on many irrelevant Ants no one cared about. Or rather Togashi didn't make us care about most of them. Cause realistically only a few actually got some real development. And as for their transition into conscious beings - it was essentially like watching toddles become teens, which is even worse when the toddles aren't interesting characters.
I think we might be talking past each other here. I am talking about Meruem, Pitou, Poeuf and Youpi mainly, throw in some others like Cheetu, Queen, Colt, Zazan. Off the top of my head. Meruem's development is stellar, and I enjoyed best gril Pitou, the best RG. Poeuf is interesting as well.

The Spiders have a lot of more unique elements - like being a fictional unit and caring about each other, despite essentially being these weird loners. Acting like a "spider's" legs is not a concept you see every day among villains, even less when it actually works. The Ants just drifted from each other into loner territory like normal villain trope.
Yeah I agree that the Spiders are cool and will in the end be better written. Btw, how many of the Spiders do you actually care about and who?

Phinks best boy
Uvo
Nobu
Chrollo
Paku
Feitan
Machi
Shizuku
Copy guy
Kalluto

Hisoka and Illumi aren’t real spiders for me

If they were where'd they rank?

Agree Yorknew was a more efficient arc

But the Chimera turning humans, and having their memories back, creating conflicts etc interested me more
I mean I was interested in that as well, but the peak of using that great idea was the beak guy, octopus guy and Kite 2.0.

Kite 2.0 was just a tool to make Gon feel better. And it speaks volumes that I don't remember the names of the other two.

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
Also the fact that more people voted for the Spiders over the Ants just proves that Yorknew was far more effective for a way shorter plot time.
Spiders are more likeable yes, but even in the poll here (not that it matters much) people think Meruem and the RG>them from a writing standpoint.

I think we might be talking past each other here. I am talking about Meruem, Pitou, Poeuf and Youpi mainly, throw in some others like Cheetu, Queen, Colt, Zazan. Off the top of my head. Meruem's development is stellar, and I enjoyed best gril Pitou, the best RG. Poeuf is interesting as well.

Yeah I agree that the Spiders are cool and will in the end be better written. Btw, how many of the Spiders do you actually care about and who?
The guard trio... In the end I was sick of them how dragged out it was. Poeuf resorted to internal drama every other second, and Pitou didn't do much apart from serving as Gon hype. I do like Youpi, he had the most interactions and he probably evolved the most in the arc finale along with Boss Ant

I like all the Spiders bar Franklin and Kortopi.
Spiders are more likeable yes, but even in the poll here (not that it matters much) people think Meruem and the RG>them from a writing standpoint.
It begs the question if that opinion is relevant though, cause if you like the other characters more, it means it was more successful writing. Which is better writing imo :kayneshrug:

GUI VI

Touch The Grass
Ohhh man, this question is too hard lol.

I love both, but if i had to choose one, it would be......................idgaf, i choose Yorknew City Arc.

-Uvogin vs The Shadows beasts
-Uvogin vs Kurapika
-Chrollo vs Zeno and Silva
-More Kurapika's Development( my fav HxH character)
-The whole arc

Masterpiece arc.