Questions & Mysteries Chimera Ant Arc vs Yorknew City Arc

R1:Which is better?/R2:Which do you like more?/R3:Better antagonists?/R4:Which antags u like more?

• Total voters

Light D Lamperouge

๐–‚๐–๐–†๐–™ ๐•ฎ๐–”๐–š๐–‘๐–‰ ๐•ณ๐–†๐–›๐–Š ๐•ญ๐–Š๐–Š๐–“
โ€Ž
R1: Which one is better?

R2: Which one do you like more?

R3: Better antagonists?

R4: Which antagonists do you like more?

VS

Some other things you can compare
Main characters of arc
Side characters
Setting
Action
etc etc

Discuss.​

Damn this is really a tough one...
Let start with round one:
I love both arcs but If I need to decide I would take Chimera ant Arc above Yorknew Arc, for me Chimera ant arc is probably one of the best arcs if not in the top 3 in all of time anime series. Even if I enjoy Yorknew Arc more, Chimera arc was better.

Yorknew Arc, I just love the setting and the story around the spiders, the arc was brutal but also funny and amazing, Chimera ant arc is also great but I kinda love Yorknew Arc more.

R3: Better antagonists?
Almost equal I would say, both had great characters, who been also great antagonists, Chrollo and Meruem been top and I think both arcs had great anatagonists, would say here a draw, but since I need to take one I would give it to Meruem and his Royal Knights, these guys been monsters and dangerous for sure.

R4: Which antagonists do you like more?
Meruem and his Royal knights, Meruem character development was one of the best one in entire manga/anime series for me, kinda liked them more, spiders also are great but nothing tops Meruem.

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
This was incredibly difficult for me as well.

The most difficult round was R3 for me. Both groups are amazing. Honestly with that amazing Troupe flashback recently it was even more difficult, and I think by the end of HxH the Troupe will definitely overtake the guards in terms of writing and characterization, and probably by a noticeable margin. Which definitely isn't an easy thing to do, but I feel the Troupe has the potential to pull it off, especially Chrollo, but as of now and as they were in their respective arcs, Meruem and the Royal Guards get the nod imo.

Chimera ants !

The royal-guards + Meruem are a bit over-powered though. And I have to admit that the fights turn in circles or are too long. Youpi had to be fought so many times, same for Pouf and it only resulted in an escape plan for the hunters. Especially when Meruem came back even more powerful.

I know Togashi writes differently. But it's almost like the main villains of the arcs never die properly. Which is okayish, but at some point the main-protagonists are gonna have to deliver. I mean, currently Tserriednich is cool and I want him to show off the most but I also desire that someone will defeat him. Which is not granted at all. Because the last villain won and then gave his position to Cheadle, the prior one won the fight and died because of a nuke's radiations, the one before only lost a game (Greed Island), the Spiders at Yorknew lost two members but the leader came back stronger. So on... Hisoka dies but masturbates his lungs and heart, comes back even stronger. Even Kite wouldn't die properly... and his comeback was completely unnecessary. But whatever, I'll just pretend he died and read my own head-canon

I would say in terms of writing and character development, Chimera Ants have an edge.
However, I enjoyed Yorknew more, and Phantom Troupe + Hisoka and Zoldyks help me survive the Succession War arc.

I have to go with Chimera Ant arc here. It's a masterpiece. The story of Meruem and Komugi is manga at its peak. The strongest being not able to overcome a weak blind girl; a ruthless monster growing feelings for a useless human; their interactions, developments and the way it all ended them dying together is just amazing storytelling.

I like both arcs for different reasons. But if you ask me which one I enjoyed reading more, it has to be Yorknew. Fast, action packed, more likable characters, etc., are some of the reasons why I enjoy reading yorknew more.

I didnt really enjoy Chimera Ant arc the first time I read it. But a second time reading and the anime adaptation made me love it and appreciate it's greatness.

Last edited:
They're both phenomenal arcs but if I had to pick, I'd go with the CA arc. YN is more enjoyable because of the hype, Kurapika's revenge, the dynamics of the troupe, pacing, fights and all that but I just connected with the CA arc more. I really enjoy the arc's theme of looking at humanity from a different perspective, Meruem's ascension from monster to human and vise-versa for Gon. Pouf's development, Meruem's dynamic with Komugi, Netero getting the fight he always yearned for along with his backstory. Even characters like Welfin got great focus and development. There's so much more but that's just off the top of my head lol.

The CA arc is definitely slower but it really is a gem. It puts an emphasis on characterization/character development and the themes and fights are really well executed. Also Kingdom Of Predators is an S tier OST

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
I find it amusing that the majority agrees on Chimera Ant arc being superior, but enjoying Yorknew more :)
Prolly has to do with the fact that CAA is like 2.5 times longer than Yorknew and Yorknew is more fast paced with great action and very likeable characters in the form of the Troupe.

And the real MC of this manga the GOAT Kurapika :endthis:
:steef: