Anime Discussion Code Geass thread

Who is your favourite character?

• Total voters

Cinera

๐€๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐Œ๐š๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐ž๐ง๐ง๐ฒ ๐๐ž๐ญ
โ€Ž
And you go with the Assumption, Light has no clue about Chess. He is still a modern student upto date with Technology.
Anyway Like i said, it involves thinking multiples steps ahead and also opponent best moves, which is what he did with L.
That's not my point. My point is Light just doesn't play as much chess as Lelouch does, and the gap in their experience, knowledge of the game and intuition dwarfs the gap in their intellect. Intellect can only go so far. Chess masters can see a game and through experience immediately identify very strong moves. That's a skill picked up through 1000s of games played. It's not something that mere intelligence can replicate. Light doesn't have a prayer of success here.

think Folks just love giving benefit of doubt, bt L was best Detective and it was his field to deduct methods of death and possible clues on Killer. While Lelouch method is more straightfwd. So No i am not convinced.
Most of Zero's allies didn't know who Zero was. With the resources Zero could acquire and command, I expect him to eventually win. Light is brilliant, but he's only one person. The gap in resources would just be too big.

That's not my point. My point is Light just doesn't play as much chess as Lelouch does, and the gap in their experience, knowledge of the game and intuition dwarfs the gap in their intellect. Intellect can only go so far. Chess masters can see a game and through experience immediately identify very strong moves. That's a skill picked up through 1000s of games played. It's not something that mere intelligence can replicate. Light doesn't have a prayer of success here.

Most of Zero's allies didn't know who Zero was. With the resources Zero could acquire and command, I expect him to eventually win. Light is brilliant, but he's only one person. The gap in resources would just be too big.
Normally a School kid also wasn't supposed to go against the Best Detective and be able to outsmart him, bt he did?
If Light has played Chess in the Past, he will be pretty good at it, bt yes i would agree Lelouch has better winning chances, i dont remember the details but he grew up while playing Chess.

Not all bt if off-chance, anyway Light can make his allies directly kill him.
As for Resources gap, Japan had all the resources and they didn't figure out shit until L came and join the Investigation. Despite all resources they still had to rely on L, why.

Cinera

๐€๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐Œ๐š๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐ž๐ง๐ง๐ฒ ๐๐ž๐ญ
โ€Ž
Not all bt if off-chance, anyway Light can make his allies directly kill him.
As for Resources gap, Japan had all the resources and they didn't figure out shit until L came and join the Investigation. Despite
Well this is an unconstrained world. Lelouch canonically became emperor of all mankind, and while he may not do that here, he has the ability to go pretty far. Given that the gap in their intellect isn't that massive, I'll bet on the one who has more resources, and that would be Lelouch. With his Geass, after a year, he'd probably be a multibillionaire and the puppet master of a massive syndicate. Light would be a lone genius.

My thesis is essentially: "intellect can only go so far". Chess and success in the real world rely on a lot more than intelligence, and the gap between Light and Lelouch in those other factors (social fu, charisma, supernatural ability, experience as a commander, etc for an unconstrained world and game knowledge and experience for chess) is much bigger than the gap in intelligence between Lelouch and Light.

Detective Lelouch gets trounced by Light, but he definitely wins the chess game, and in an unconstrained world he has more advantages.

Light D Lamperouge

๐–‚๐–๐–†๐–™ ๐•ฎ๐–”๐–š๐–‘๐–‰ ๐•ณ๐–†๐–›๐–Š ๐•ญ๐–Š๐–Š๐–“
โ€Ž
code geass>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>death note
:goatasure:

D

Dragomir

Aight ladies and gentlemen. I'm here with a mission. Code Geass > Death Note and here's why.

Characters

Lelouch vs Light
In the battle of protagonists, Lelouch takes the dub. While I do like Light with the way he goes about fooling L and the investigators; his plans are absolutely super; and how he got Naomi to reveal her true identity to him. Just marvelous. But, he has a glaring issue. Light is not relatable. Not one bit. He has a God complex. His entire goal of killing the criminals is to make the public view him, Kira, as a God. He'll rule over the people with fear killing those who oppose him and striking fear into the civilians, punishing those that do wrong in the world. Sure, he appears to be a benevolent guy who wants to kill criminals and keep the good in the world, but in reality he's doing it just to stand atop others.

Lelouch on the other hand IS relatable. As shown multiple times in the show, he did what he did for Nunally to live in a more peaceful world. From his perspective his father abandoned him, his mother, and his disabled sister for being too weak. Now coupled with the fact that the Britannian Empire oppressed the Japanese, or Elevens, Lelouch becoming Zero to take down that Empire is completely justified imo. And speaking of Nunally, Lelouch cared deeply for his sister. Refusing to lie to her when Suzaku tried to bait him with the phone call, losing his shit when he thought she died, etc. Him despising Rolo for unrightfully taking over Nunally's spot as his younger sibling was completely justified. He cared for those around him, that was shown explicitly through the show. I think it was clear that he had some level of feelings for Shirley, and he himself flat out stated that he loved Euphy. While Lelouch did lie and manipulate others with his Geass, he did it to protect. With Shirley for example, he made her lose her memories in an effort to keep her out danger. C.C. told him that to protect those that you love, you have sometimes push them out of your life. He didn't use those close to him as pawns.

Light, however, DID do that. He was flat out willing to kill his own sister just to not be revealed as Kira...like bruh, not cool.

He was just using folks to advance his plans and goals. Lelouch mid-diffs Light for better protagonist.

The Antagonists
This is where Death Note shines out though. L is very much superior to Schneizel. I liked the latter, my second favorite character in CG, but I wasn't really getting his motivations. That whole forcing peace stuff to the people was kinda random but he was a very competent character and he was a great chess match for Lelouch. Don't even get me started on Charles. Was hyped up as the story went on but ultimately did nothing and was very underwhelming. L played his role perfectly. He was a guy that has been a detective for what I assume all his life and was accustomed to catching bad guys and being on the side of justice. So when Kira comes around as this mass murderer, L justifiably takes action to stop evil. Mello is meh and Near is even worse than Charles but L is good enough here to allow the antagonists to win it out for DN.

The Cast
As a whole, the CG cast is much better than DN. They were much more fleshed out than DN was. Aizawa and Light's dad being the only two fully fleshed out characters in DN. CG's simply has more. Cornelia, Shirley, Suzaku, Kallen, Ohgi, Orange, Rolo, and Ohgi's wife whose name I forgot. They're all better than what DN has to offer. Naomi had potential but she died too early. Misa is likely but suffers the same problem as Light by not being relatable. Idk how many women in the world fall in love on first sight with a killer and start worshipping them. Maybe a bit, but I highly doubt it's a lot. And Light's other girlfriend was just kinda random lol. Mikami is pretty decent I suppose. He's funny. Though, I admit, CG has some pretty meh characters themselves like Nina but overall, CG wins the characters category.

This is gonna take awhile for me to finish. I'll come back later with my review over the Plot and the Ending of both series but right now, have a little read.

N

Noctis

Aight ladies and gentlemen. I'm here with a mission. Code Geass > Death Note and here's why.

Characters

Lelouch vs Light
In the battle of protagonists, Lelouch takes the dub. While I do like Light with the way he goes about fooling L and the investigators; his plans are absolutely super; and how he got Naomi to reveal her true identity to him. Just marvelous. But, he has a glaring issue. Light is not relatable. Not one bit. He has a God complex. His entire goal of killing the criminals is to make the public view him, Kira, as a God. He'll rule over the people with fear killing those who oppose him and striking fear into the civilians, punishing those that do wrong in the world. Sure, he appears to be a benevolent guy who wants to kill criminals and keep the good in the world, but in reality he's doing it just to stand atop others.

Lelouch on the other hand IS relatable. As shown multiple times in the show, he did what he did for Nunally to live in a more peaceful world. From his perspective his father abandoned him, his mother, and his disabled sister for being too weak. Now coupled with the fact that the Britannian Empire oppressed the Japanese, or Elevens, Lelouch becoming Zero to take down that Empire is completely justified imo. And speaking of Nunally, Lelouch cared deeply for his sister. Refusing to lie to her when Suzaku tried to bait him with the phone call, losing his shit when he thought she died, etc. Him despising Rolo for unrightfully taking over Nunally's spot as his younger sibling was completely justified. He cared for those around him, that was shown explicitly through the show. I think it was clear that he had some level of feelings for Shirley, and he himself flat out stated that he loved Euphy. While Lelouch did lie and manipulate others with his Geass, he did it to protect. With Shirley for example, he made her lose her memories in an effort to keep her out danger. C.C. told him that to protect those that you love, you have sometimes push them out of your life. He didn't use those close to him as pawns.

Light, however, DID do that. He was flat out willing to kill his own sister just to not be revealed as Kira...like bruh, not cool.

He was just using folks to advance his plans and goals. Lelouch mid-diffs Light for better protagonist.

The Antagonists
This is where Death Note shines out though. L is very much superior to Schneizel. I liked the latter, my second favorite character in CG, but I wasn't really getting his motivations. That whole forcing peace stuff to the people was kinda random but he was a very competent character and he was a great chess match for Lelouch. Don't even get me started on Charles. Was hyped up as the story went on but ultimately did nothing and was very underwhelming. L played his role perfectly. He was a guy that has been a detective for what I assume all his life and was accustomed to catching bad guys and being on the side of justice. So when Kira comes around as this mass murderer, L justifiably takes action to stop evil. Mello is meh and Near is even worse than Charles but L is good enough here to allow the antagonists to win it out for DN.

The Cast
As a whole, the CG cast is much better than DN. They were much more fleshed out than DN was. Aizawa and Light's dad being the only two fully fleshed out characters in DN. CG's simply has more. Cornelia, Shirley, Suzaku, Kallen, Ohgi, Orange, Rolo, and Ohgi's wife whose name I forgot. They're all better than what DN has to offer. Naomi had potential but she died too early. Misa is likely but suffers the same problem as Light by not being relatable. Idk how many women in the world fall in love on first sight with a killer and start worshipping them. Maybe a bit, but I highly doubt it's a lot. And Light's other girlfriend was just kinda random lol. Mikami is pretty decent I suppose. He's funny. Though, I admit, CG has some pretty meh characters themselves like Nina but overall, CG wins the characters category.

This is gonna take awhile for me to finish. I'll come back later with my review over the Plot and the Ending of both series but right now, have a little read.

I don't really like better character or protagonist debates between lelouch and light lol

Characters

Lelouch vs Light

The Antagonists

The Cast

Light is gonna hate this :milaugh:

But yes, you're absolutely spot on. Glad you see the light (no pun)! Code Geass covers a lot of complexities while DN is just a superficial (but great) thriller. And DN characters are literally no match for CG.

As @Queen said:
Code Giass >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DN
:catsure:

You still angry over Euphy?

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
โ€Ž
I love Code geass too but DN was really original when it was released, some moments were insane L/Light relationship and mind game, Raye Penber kill, following the killer was cool etc.

Death note managed to go higher than Code Geass. And Code Geass has some problems : You want to punch Suzaku every time in the face, Charles end was terrible(he was the big bad for 70% of the show), Marianne, the mecha battles were cool but at one point they became a bit too much etc

DN was not perfect either but the impact on the reader is bigger for me.

Z
Charles is the best character in Code Geass. This scene explains why, by far the best scene in Code Geass.

Next best character is Corneila. Worst character is Suzaku by far. Everyone else falls in between Charles/Cornelia - Suzaku.

Light is a better character than Lelouch. Light is smarter than Lelouch. Light would beat Lelouch at chess. Light would never get caugjt by Lelouch. Light could beat Lelouch in a military battle if Light got to spend 1 week studying at whatever Britannia Military Academy everyone else studied from. Death Note > Code Geass.

D

Dragomir

You still angry over Euphy?
Still and forever salty.

Okay to finish what I started.

Plot
For the first halves of both shows, Death Note takes the cake. The thriller between L and Light with both trying to one-up each other with 4D chess moves was absolutely amazing to watch. How the plot moved forward with both of them getting closer to their goals but putting themselves at a higher risk each time was just perfect. L revealing himself to Light and adding him to the team put himself in a susceptible situation to getting killed but he could also observe Light more intensely now. Light's memory loss was the big-brained power move I have ever seen occur in my entire life. Light vs L was just absolutely tremendous. But then...L died. I remember saying that second half DN didn't drop in quality but I was dead wrong cause it most definitely dead. Mello was very meh and amounted to almost nothing as a villain. But the main problem here is Near. He's a copycat L. The way the pieces and plot moved now just didn't make sense anymore. With L, it wasn't that he was a 200 IQ character. The stuff that he did and figured out, anybody could have done it was just that he did it quicker. He realized the stuff in between quicker than everybody else. This highlights how keen, attentive, focused, and overall dedication to the whole project Kira thing L was. He took big risks that had a big reward. Him slowly but surely pinpointing Kira was natural. Near however wasn't. He sat back and was just watching everything. Didn't take any risks and was just figuring stuff out on the spot like a 200 IQ boss and for me, that was very very lame. Death Note went from 8/10 to a 6/10 for me.

Code Geass surely does not have as strong as a first-half that Death Note had but it was a lot more consistent in strength from start to finish. Now, some things just flat out didn't make sense at times to me. Like C.C. losing her memory, Marianne returning somehow(through her Geass I guess?), and then C.C. do getting her memory back. I was pretty confused. But I didn't mind cause the payoff was satisfying enough to me.

Ending
I think this is mainly what decides which one of the two is better. The ending of CG was wholesome and touching. The ending of DN was asscheeks. First of all, Near being the one to catch Kira is some major bulljive. He's a copycat L. A copycat should not be the end to catch Kira. The original should. L should have been in that position. I don't mind Light losing, I honestly thing it makes sense but Near being the one to take the dub away from him causes major issues for me. Had it been Mello, no problem. He's his own character. L being the one is most preferable. Hell, Light winning instead would have been real sweet tbh. But Near...hell no.

Why was the ending of CG good? Because it makes sense. Lelouch accomplished his goal of taking down Britannia by becoming the Emperor of it but through this, he saw how the people were viewing him as a dictator and it was technically his fault. He did control and manipulate people. He had set that image up for himself. To continue living, he would have ruled with fear over the people. That would be no peace which has been all he had been trying to create this entire time. It was clear that that wasn't going to change. So, he fixes this by having himself be killed by Zero being masked by Suzaku. This ends the tyranny of Lelouch, frees the will of the people, and most of all, continues on the symbol of Good and Heroism that Zero was been made out of. Through his death, Lelouch achieves his goal of world peace for not just Nunally but for all the people. Another important thing brought by his death was that Nunally was able to see that his brother actually wasn't evil at all. I would have hated it had she ended with that perception of Lelouch in her head when in truth it was complete opposite.

As Light died, he took an L. As Lelouch died, he took a W. That marks the difference between Death Note and Code Geass.

I hope y'all enjoyed this read. I love both shows but in my opinion, Code Geass is the better of the two. If you disagree, that is perfectly fine. I can understand why someone would prefer DN over CG.

Charles Zi Brittianna was a great villain but after his defeat Schnitzel picked up after him, leaving him with not alot of time to display "just how" much he would be a threat... I mean we seen it and all... but tbh the 2nd season was incredibly rushed.