Questions & Mysteries Could Zoro be a Kurozumi?

Oooh, man. I can already see some people coming into this thread with their pitchforks drawn. How dare I suggest something so blasphemous about Zoro! He is clearly a Shimotsuki!!! Well, that's what I want to discuss, because this is something that has been nagging me for quite some time now. Now there is two varying opinions divided among the fandom. One is that he has no connection to Wano whatsoever outside of being trained by Kyoshiro, and the other is that is lineage itself is of Wano origin.

For quite some time I fell on the spectrum that Zoro's lineage has nothing to do with Wano. Not because I didn't see the possibility in it, but for the one simple fact that we are over 80 chapters deep into the Wano storyline, and there has been absolutely zero mention or even indication from Zoro himself, that he has any ties to the Country. I can see Oda keeping it some sort of secret in the very beginning of the arc, but as time goes by, and the more characters Zoro interacts with, especially Yasuie who is a Shimotsuki, you'd think Zoro would at least elude to there being some kind of connection there. But we have gotten nothing.

So that started to make me wonder, as to how Zoro could possibly have his lineage connected to Wano, but not want to divulge that information. Then it hit me. What if he doesn't want to make his lineage known, because it is tied to a family that has been cast out by the Country? The Kurozumi family was once part of the six ruling families of Wano. However due to a failed Coup by Orochi's grandfather, the Family ultimately ended up falling from grace, and was hunted down and persecuted by the rest of the Country, after Orochi's grandfather was forced to commit seppuku.

Orochi has expressed great resentment towards the fact that all this transpired, but one thing he failed to ever mention was anything pertaining to his father. We know what happened to his Grandfather, but what exactly happened to his own father? Now if my assumptions are correct here, this first coup, should have roughly happened right around the time Shimotsuki Kozaburo left Wano and started to make his Journey to East Blue.

Now we are given no reason as to what caused Kozaburo to want to up and leave Wano, but it always struck me as odd as why such a renowned Swordsmith from a prestigious family, made that decision. What if the reason for that is because he was actually friends with Orochi's father, and didn't want to see him killed? This isn't too far fetched to think, because the Shimotsuki family actually took Orochi in, and looked after him like he was one of his own.

One thing we don't know about Orochi, is what he was doing prior to being taken in by the Shimotsuki family. This is pretty interesting, because from what we know, almost all of the Kurozumi family were eradicated. So what if, Orochi's father initially had two children, and one of them (Orochi) was thought to be killed? This is what prompted Kozaburo to take his friend, and his remaining child, and flee the Country. This remaining child would end up being, you guessed it. Zoro's father/mother. Years later, Orochi would reappear in front of the doorstep of the Shimotsuki family, and they would take him in, due to the fact that he was the child of Kozaburo's friend.

Now I am not saying this is definitive, and there is some aspects that I'm not to keen on myself, like Zoro being related to Orochi. But I'll be damned if the pieces wouldn't fit perfectly. Not to mention I think it would make for a way better plot point if Zoro (A Kurozumi) restores the Kozuki Clan back to the throne of Wano, while at the same time restoring his own Clan's name to its former glory. I'll take that over Zoro just randomly being named a Shimotsuki out of nowhere after 80 plus chapters of nothing.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Oooh, man. I can already see some people coming into this thread with their pitchforks drawn. How dare I suggest something so blasphemous about Zoro! He is clearly a Shimotsuki!!! Well, that's what I want to discuss, because this is something that has been nagging me for quite some time now. Now there is two varying opinions divided among the fandom. One is that he has no connection to Wano whatsoever outside of being trained by Kyoshiro, and the other is that is lineage itself is of Wano origin.

For quite some time I fell on the spectrum that Zoro's lineage has nothing to do with Wano. Not because I didn't see the possibility in it, but for the one simple fact that we are over 80 chapters deep into the Wano storyline, and there has been absolutely zero mention or even indication from Zoro himself, that he has any ties to the Country. I can see Oda keeping it some sort of secret in the very beginning of the arc, but as time goes by, and the more characters Zoro interacts with, especially Yasuie who is a Shimotsuki, you'd think Zoro would at least elude to there being some kind of connection there. But we have gotten nothing.

So that started to make me wonder, as to how Zoro could possibly have his lineage connected to Wano, but not want to divulge that information. Then it hit me. What if he doesn't want to make his lineage known, because it is tied to a family that has been cast out by the Country? The Kurozumi family was once part of the six ruling families of Wano. However due to a failed Coup by Orochi's grandfather, the Family ultimately ended up falling from grace, and was hunted down and persecuted by the rest of the Country, after Orochi's grandfather was forced to commit seppuku.

Orochi has expressed great resentment towards the fact that all this transpired, but one thing he failed to ever mention was anything pertaining to his father. We know what happened to his Grandfather, but what exactly happened to his own father? Now if my assumptions are correct here, this first coup, should have roughly happened right around the time Shimotsuki Kozaburo left Wano and started to make his Journey to East Blue.

Now we are given no reason as to what caused Kozaburo to want to up and leave Wano, but it always struck me as odd as why such a renowned Swordsmith from a prestigious family, made that decision. What if the reason for that is because he was actually friends with Orochi's father, and didn't want to see him killed? This isn't too far fetched to think, because the Shimotsuki family actually took Orochi in, and looked after him like he was one of his own.

One thing we don't know about Orochi, is what he was doing prior to being taken in by the Shimotsuki family. This is pretty interesting, because from what we know, almost all of the Kurozumi family were eradicated. So what if, Orochi's father initially had two children, and one of them (Orochi) was thought to be killed? This is what prompted Kozaburo to take his friend, and his remaining child, and flee the Country. This remaining child would end up being, you guessed it. Zoro's father/mother. Years later, Orochi would reappear in front of the doorstep of the Shimotsuki family, and they would take him in, due to the fact that he was the child of Kozaburo's friend.

Now I am not saying this is definitive, and there is some aspects that I'm not to keen on myself, like Zoro being related to Orochi. But I'll be damned if the pieces wouldn't fit perfectly. Not to mention I think it would make for a way better plot point if Zoro (A Kurozumi) restores the Kozuki Clan back to the throne of Wano, while at the same time restoring his own Clan's name to its former glory. I'll take that over Zoro just randomly being named a Shimotsuki out of nowhere after 80 plus chapters of nothing.
You are too slow boi.
I made a bet that Zoro is a Kurozumi months ago.

zoro being Kurozumi is not bad , also not necessary related to orochi he could be from another branch of the family . i would like if from the very start of the arc zoro was hated and cursed by the people of wano cuz he is a Kurozumi then end up saving them etc , but after all these chapters in wano and no mention of or hint of this i don't see it happening at all.
the difference with Shimotsuki is the existing of hints , beginning from ryuma to ushimaru also his relation with yaso toko and hi s teacher and kuina .

but even with this if he was one of Shimotsuki someone could have remembered zoro or how he looks like them in appearance but no one at all .
also if he is Shimotsuki why he hide his name in a Shimotsuki village where Shimotsuki family live there ?! :usoprice:

that's why i think zoro is kaido son that's why no one recognize him .

You are too slow boi.
I made a bet that Zoro is a Kurozumi months ago.
Considering I just joined a month ago, you would be correct. I did search the site prior to making the post however, to see if anyone had made a similar thread, and it turned up nothing. :cheers:
Post automatically merged:

Nahh... since as u said we didn't get any shit about Zoro's origins in like 80 chapters It's likely this won't play any part in Wano's plot.

By now the most I expect is Oda dropping some more hints Zoro comes directly from Ryumma lineage
Ryuma was a Shimotsuki though.

I like the theory, it sounds like it make sense somewhat. I am one of the people who don't see much in Zoro tbh or at least in the theory of him or his parents/family being from Wano. If I go along with your idea though on the thought that one of his parents is a Kurozumi, I would bet it's the mother though. She then would have married a man whose last name was Roronoa, which isn't a wano typical name, and got his name due to marriage. Hence we now have Roronoa Zoro. A name that is nothing important. A lineage which doesn't play much of a role. It's the idea I would add to your theory.

I still think though that Zoros lineage won't play much of a role though and that we won't get to know more about it.

I like the theory, it sounds like it make sense somewhat. I am one of the people who don't see much in Zoro tbh or at least in the theory of him or his parents/family being from Wano. If I go along with your idea though on the thought that one of his parents is a Kurozumi, I would bet it's the mother though. She then would have married a man whose last name was Roronoa, which isn't a wano typical name, and got his name due to marriage. Hence we now have Roronoa Zoro. A name that is nothing important. A lineage which doesn't play much of a role. It's the idea I would add to your theory.

I still think though that Zoros lineage won't play much of a role though and that we won't get to know more about it.
And not to mention, his mother could have been pretty good with a Sword and was the one who inspired Zoro to want to become a Swordsman. Would also explain why he got so mad at Kuina for doubting herself if Zoro's inspiration to want to become a Swordsman in the first place, came from a woman.

Marimo_420

The Honoured One
Good theory. It is kinda plausible, but I will be heavily disgusted if it does turn out that Zoro is indeed from the same clan as Orochi.
:mihugh:

Like for real I would consider dropping the series. Fuck that goofball.

zoro being Kurozumi is not bad , also not necessary related to orochi he could be from another branch of the family . i would like if from the very start of the arc zoro was hated and cursed by the people of wano cuz he is a Kurozumi then end up saving them etc , but after all these chapters in wano and no mention of or hint of this i don't see it happening at all.
the difference with Shimotsuki is the existing of hints , beginning from ryuma to ushimaru also his relation with yaso toko and hi s teacher and kuina .

but even with this if he was one of Shimotsuki someone could have remembered zoro or how he looks like them in appearance but no one at all .
also if he is Shimotsuki why he hide his name in a Shimotsuki village where Shimotsuki family live there ?! :usoprice:

that's why i think zoro is kaido son that's why no one recognize him .
Lonet. Yamato isn't Zoro's sister end off
:doffytroll:

So that started to make me wonder, as to how Zoro could possibly have his lineage connected to Wano, but not want to divulge that information.
Why would Zoro care?

Do you remember Zoro and Hiyori's conversation? Zoro barely could remember Orochi's name.

You are saying Zoro has had some premeditated deception going on since before wano even started BUT HE CAN'T REMEMBER HIS BROTHER'S NAME?

If he can't remember Orochi's name then where are you getting the notion that he even knows "Kurozumi"

What are the signs in the arc to show Zoro knows or cares about Kurozumi and also knows the politics of the clans from 50 years ago?

Since when is Zoro this type of manipulative anything?

You remember Tenguyama giving him this kozaburo backstory right? Hitestsu mention multiple things that Zoro would notice IF HE CARED.

Hitestsu mentions the name Shimotsuki which is Zoro's hometown and Oda cinformed that Zoro literally met and trained under Kozaburo himself.

And yet what does Zoro say or do in response to getting all this information? Literally nothing. None of this registers.

Zoro is given the origin of Wado Ichimonji and he doesn't care. Zoro's given the origin of his home town and he DOESN'T CARE.

The only thing Zoro gets out of the entire conversation is Enma can be turned into a black blade. That's the full extent of anything Zoro cares about.

You are saying you don't believe Zoro is shimotsuki because he clearly doesn't care about any of that and you're right. This plot point doesn't matter coz no one cares about it. But Zoro also doesn't care about the Kurozumi equally as much hence why he literally didn't even remember orochi's name. Yet in this case you are saying Zoro's planning some mastermind deception of some kind out of some sort perceived shame he feels in some supposed lineage he has been caring about all this time.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Zoro is indeed a Kurozumi from his mother's side while his father is the great Whitebeard!
When Kurozumis were hunted and killed, Zoro's grandfather escaped from Wano and later got a daughter which ended up Zoro's mom.

Both wear a black bandana - check
Both have scars across their chest - check
Both are very honourable individuals - check
Both were portrayed in the same stance when hugging Squardo/O-Toko - check
Both are monsters - check
Both have another similar portrayal stance, WB's standing death and Zoro's Nothing happened - check
Both dont have scars of shame on their backs - check
The thing I didnt figure out is the Roronoa name, perhaps a cover name that Kurozumis took to hide. :catpole:

Last edited:
Zoro being a Kurozomi would be very interesting story and character wise:

-Zoro being a Kurozomi would put another light on his confrontation with Orochi. Orochi is the first character against whom Zoro shown any durable resentment, it would be interesting that the guy turns out to be blood related to him.

-What’s make Zoro so different from Orochi and Kanjuro? His « healthy » goal? His environment?

-One of Wano theme is how hate can be an inherited will. Therefore to cut this circle of revenge Momo not killing Orochi and Kanjuro could be a good thing. But Zoro Kurozomi marrying Hyory Kozuki would be even better.

-What does this mean that the first guy to tamed Enma is from the same bloodline as the guy who killed Oden?

I don't think so. Not that I would be against the idea itself but nothing suggest this till now and zoro has many connections to the shimotsukis throughout the story, his village, his mentor, ryuma etc.

So I would be disappointed because of the storytelling...

But his mother could be a kurozumi.