Questions & Mysteries Did Whole Cake Island Arc make you hate Sanji?

Disappointed. Very dissapointing.

Wano Sanji and WCI Sanji are like night and day. Goes to show Oda forced him to be like that.
See even a true Sanji fan like chrono dislike WCI sanji
Post automatically merged:

WCI is a failed arc, but sanji fanboys like to pretend it's a "character development" for sanji
Not really , True Sanji Fan knows WCI is Sanji's worst arc in terms of competency in Critical Thinking and Fighting

Last edited:
Someone can be a scumbag and still be kind, these are two completely different things. I wonder why you consider Sanji a scumbag

I could easily call every single SH a scumbag for any damn reason and action

Even Hitler had good moments with his family, and he loved animals, he had values that most people would agree with, does this make him a good person?
:milaugh:
I agree the comparison between Hitler and Sanji is apt

Some arguments here reminds of early editions of DnD, where you would have some Lawful Good Paladin, and, if the character ever did a single action that wasn't deemed "lawful goody", the DM would bring forth the anger of a thousand incels and complain to the player that he now has to lose his paladin powers because he once did something that goes against his alignment.

- Luffy telling Law he plans to "beat the shit out of the 4 Emperors" is completely out of character for someone thatis never the aggressor, but more like a defender.
- Zoro not wanting to hurt Monet just because she's a woman is completely against his entire backstory with Kuina.
- Robin deciding to play the "mother role" with Momonosuke is completely out of touch with Robin's character.
- Jinbe betraying Big Mom by beating Opera and saving Luffy and Nami, then trying to do the "honorable sake cup" theatrics makes no sense (thanks @TheAncientCenturion for opening my eyes on this one. lol)
- Usopp making that speech on his head telling Nami to just lie to Ulti and say that Luffy won't become PK just so she can live, when he did all that "don't you dare laugh at my friend's dream" stunt in Alabasta against Mrs Merry Xmas and Mr4 also contradicts his character and his growth to becoming a brave warrior of the sea.
- Chopper during TS says he wants to become a "monster" if it is for Luffy's sake, but instead becomes even more sugar coated and gives people diabetes just by existing.
- Garp going through that dilemma of either helping Ace, or keeping his duty as a Navy soldier, and then, out of nowhere, wanting to kill Akainu because Akainu carried on the execution that was supposed to happen.
Etc.
Sanji is not above that.
Of course his character has contradictory moments.
What do you expect when you have an author that wants to juggle hundreds of characters by himself?
Zoro still cut monet :luffylaugh:
Tashigi is a good person lmao
There’s no need to cut somebody with a similar moral compass
Post automatically merged:

Hey man isn’t Germa supposed to be the Nazis and Sanji the blue eyes blonde hair model

Not in dangerous territory. Luffy is not dumb when it comes to his crewmates, and Sanji knows that better than anyone to try to play off the Robin/Nami 2.0 "everything is fine act" it didn't work then, it sure as hell wasn't going to work now. We really didn't need a rehash of the crewmate needing help but acting like they don't deal, especially coming from Sanji one of the pillars of the crew, if that doesn't bother you as a fan of this series (or Sanji) I don't know what will.

Missed the point, Big Mom's honesty is irrelevant. The optics weren't good for Sanji there.

He was literally arguing with Nami, to abandon crying kids pleading to be saved, even the densest of people would be able to tell those kids were in trouble. Sanji said "we're not running a charity here", and for Sanji to be vehemently arguing against Nami who he is constantly simping for, just goes to show you how against the idea of saving the children he was.

So yea you basically missed the mark with Sanji's character.
Questions Zoro saving Smoker
Tells Zoro/Chopper to let Wiper die
Lets Nami know that saving the dying Minks might be the wrong decision
-And like I showed above playing ignorant to kids in danger crying for help

Is Sanji a monster because he does these things? Not really, he has done kind things before as well, but compared to any other strawhat, Sanji is by far and away the coldest, who always calculates risk/reward (aside from people who are hungry, that's his thing), but yea let's go and save my shitty murdering/rapist siblings and father at the cost of my crewmates being caught up in a fight against a Yonkou. Trying to save Reiju alone would be one thing. That whole kind guy narrative was some of the worst piece of writing Oda has ever conjured up.

It's inconsistent with his character, and Sanji acting like Luffy was gonna walk away from WCI when he was there to witness Arlong Park, and Enies Lobby is beyond stupid to begin with.
Lol one of the funny things about this post is I remember vividly well when we were on wci we were still on orojackson and even there you maintained this same position. It’s great to see you haven’t changed from it honestly.

As for my response to the original post did I hate sanji because of the events of wci? No…no I did not as he is still far and away one of my favorite characters in the series in general. But, did I like how he was particularly written? No I did not. I hated it much so it made me lose interest in the arc at some point.

While I understand the need to write drama in a series like one piece I just felt like a lot of things that came with the arc and sanji’s “character” was unnecessary drama and not needed. For example the kicking luffy scene to me was unnecessary and used for shock value at the time which goes to show just how much oda deviated from the character of sanji a lot. The idea that sanji was this “kind” individual to me was a crock of nonsense not because it hadn’t been indicated in the story before as in Baratie we got this plot point but the fact that we hadn’t seen this consistent characterization from him throughout the series. Why now? Of all times do you feel the need to just bring that up and use it as a major plot point? See what I’m saying there wasn’t consistency w that. And don’t get me started on the insertion of germa into the story.

The whole arc felt like a disservice to the character as a lot of the things we came to expect from sanji as a character was completely stripped away and replaced with something else for the purpose of dramatics and unnecessary one for that matter as of the end of the arc he reverts back to his old self like nothing happened. This ain’t the first time oda done this ala luffy in marinefold. After the events of that arc he reverts back to his old self I mean he gets stronger but we don’t see the trauma he has to deal with losing his brother in his own face..it’s like shit ain’t happen. I’m ranting lol sorry for that but I’m just tired of unnecessary drama and optics if shit dont change what’s the necessary point in having the character go through all that shit to begin with? Especially knowing oda is going to strip their characterization away into something completely different it’s a waste of time. I may still like sanji but wci was a waste of time for me specifically because the whole ideal of sanjis character is completely dwarfed for something completely different and I found that to be an absolute waste of time as shit reverts back to normal after all we were put through with the character. Simple! :optimistic:

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Lol one of the funny things about this post is I remember vividly well when we were on wci we were still on orojackson and even there you maintained this same position. It’s great to see you haven’t changed from it honestly.

As for my response to the original post did I hate sanji because of the events of wci? No…no I did not as he is still far and away one of my favorite characters in the series in general. But, did I like how he was particularly written? No I did not. I hated it much so it made me lose interest in the arc at some point.

While I understand the need to write drama in a series like one piece I just felt like a lot of things that came with the arc and sanji’s “character” was unnecessary drama and not needed. For example the kicking luffy scene to me was unnecessary and used for shock value at the time which goes to show just how much oda deviated from the character of sanji a lot. The idea that sanji was this “kind” individual to me was a crock of nonsense not because it hadn’t been indicated in the story before as in Baratie we got this plot point but the fact that we hadn’t seen this consistent characterization from him throughout the series. Why now? Of all times do you feel the need to just bring that up and use it as a major plot point? See what I’m saying there wasn’t consistency w that. And don’t get me started on the insertion of germa into the story.

The whole arc felt like a disservice to the character as a lot of the things we came to expect from sanji as a character was completely stripped away and replaced with something else for the purpose of dramatics and unnecessary one for that matter as of the end of the arc he reverts back to his old self like nothing happened. This ain’t the first time oda done this ala luffy in marinefold. After the events of that arc he reverts back to his old self I mean he gets stronger but we don’t see the trauma he has to deal with losing his brother in his own face..it’s like shit ain’t happen. I’m ranting lol sorry for that but I’m just tired of unnecessary drama and optics if shit dont change what’s the necessary point in having the character go through all that shit to begin with? Especially knowing oda is going to strip their characterization away into something completely different it’s a waste of time. I may still like sanji but wci was a waste of time for me specifically because the whole ideal of sanjis character is completely dwarfed for something completely different and I found that to be an absolute waste of time as shit reverts back to normal after all we were put through with the character. Simple! :optimistic:
Nothing Oda has ever done to this manga bothers me more than him making a mockery out of Sanji in WCI, for the sake of drama, that late into the story.

It's hard for me to ever change positions on it. The writing around Oden was arguably worse than WCI, but I can overlook that when compared to the character assassination of a core strawhat member.

yes, that arc was Oda's chance to redeem Sanji, but he just fucked up the character even more.

-If pudding wasnt a bitch Sanji would have literaly left Luffy to die and starve.
-Sanji beat the fuck out of Luffy who just wanted him back on the crew and didnt even apologized to Luffy latter. Even Ussop had to properly apologize when he left the crew, but Sanji gets away with only a shitty apology to Nami?
-Was completely useless, only baked a cake in the whole arc and left ALL the fighting for Luffy.

Sanji was a good character pre-ts, became a poor chacter after okama island, but in WCI he became garbage tier.

yes, that arc was Oda's chance to redeem Sanji, but he just fucked up the character even more.

-If pudding wasnt a bitch Sanji would have literaly left Luffy to die and starve.
-Sanji beat the fuck out of Luffy who just wanted him back on the crew and didnt even apologized to Luffy latter. Even Ussop had to properly apologize when he left the crew, but Sanji gets away with only a shitty apology to Nami?
-Was completely useless, only baked a cake in the whole arc and left ALL the fighting for Luffy.

Sanji was a good character pre-ts, became a poor chacter after okama island, but in WCI he became garbage tier.
You know Sanji was a cool ass character pre timeskip
Even Dressrosa

But wci made him so bad, unsalvageae

Did WCI make me hate Sanji? No. Him sexually assaulting Nami on Punk Hazard did it for me. But WCI was what made me give up all hope for the character.

It’s really, truly laughable to see Oda try and pretend Sanji is this rigidly principled, kindest of all kind men. Because he’s not. He’s happy to put razor blades in his crewmate’s food, but not ok with poisoning a yonko to save hundreds of lives? He’s happy to abandon drugged, crying children, but can’t bring himself to leave a bunch of warmongers and a mad scientist? WCI Sanji was a joke, and the whole Stealth Black in the women’s baths thing merely reinforced how little Oda thinks of the character.

No, this makes me like Sanji more. In WCI, he plays a person waiting to be saved. In the past, Sanji was powerful and reliable, but each of us has an unknown past. Sanji's childhood is his scar and Zeff is his weakness

WCI just shows us the other side of Sanji. Maybe many people just don't like people with shortcomings and weaknesses. Perfect roles are what they pursue

No, this makes me like Sanji more. In WCI, he plays a person waiting to be saved. In the past, Sanji was powerful and reliable, but each of us has an unknown past. Sanji's childhood is his scar and Zeff is his weakness

WCI just shows us the other side of Sanji. Maybe many people just don't like people with shortcomings and weaknesses. Perfect roles are what they pursue
Sanji's flashbacks have nothing to do with it, they where pretty good, the problem is the garbage attitudes Sanji take during that arc. And those are many.

Sanji's flashbacks have nothing to do with it, they where pretty good, the problem is the garbage attitudes Sanji take during that arc. And those are many.
As I said, Sanji is facing a different situation in WCI. His attitude is only shown in the current situation, which is not a problem for me and is not enough to make me hate him

God Ward

Back When They Called Us Devils
Did WCI make me hate Sanji? No. Him sexually assaulting Nami on Punk Hazard did it for me. But WCI was what made me give up all hope for the character.

It’s really, truly laughable to see Oda try and pretend Sanji is this rigidly principled, kindest of all kind men. Because he’s not. He’s happy to put razor blades in his crewmate’s food, but not ok with poisoning a yonko to save hundreds of lives? He’s happy to abandon drugged, crying children, but can’t bring himself to leave a bunch of warmongers and a mad scientist? WCI Sanji was a joke, and the whole Stealth Black in the women’s baths thing merely reinforced how little Oda thinks of the character.
Pff, even in FI he told Jinbe to kill himself when he shouldn't have even been involved in that conversation... way to ruin the atmosphere of a very important Nami scene Oda.

For me personally, its one thing to hate Sanji for just literally kicking Luffy when he's down and showing that he was a bit of an ass to him, its another thing when said action didn't bring anything to allow Sanji to take control and drive the plot, in the end Sanji kicking Luffy ended up being nothing but an emotional moment-like Ussop fighting Luffy or Robin leaving the crew in Water Seven, minus the plot developments that followed because of their actions. That latter part was what kind of made it disappointing. There wasn't any good payoff from it.

Sanji kicked Luffy at first because he couldn't explain his thoughts well enough to Luffy for him to respect his wishes of just giving up the fight and letting the crew go. So instead he came up with the bright idea that has become a tired and stupid trope of just kicking Luffy, being mean to him, all doing it to try to make Luffy go away and leave WCI. It's a tired, cliched and overused trope imo that should've died with Naruto vs Sasuke at the Valley at the End.

Its just one of the many stupid story decisions and mistakes that Oda has made when writing arcs post time skip. The whole Oden dancing naked for 5 years plotline is just the latest example of Oda ruining his characters and story by making them do stupid things that make them look dumb.

Yup, can never see the character the same way again. For the sake of theatrics Oda destroyed his character.
-Man acted like all of pretimeskip (specifically AP, Enies Lobby) didn't happen, acting like Luffy would just walk out of WCI without his East Blue comrade
-Falling for BM spouting bullshit at him ("no way you'll let Luffy go? How kind of you!").
-To top it off he was a damsel in distress, crying outside of a 16 year old's bedroom
-And perhaps the worst of it all, the same dude who was willing to ignore innocent children being drugged back on PH suddenly became this "nicest guy" who wanted to risk getting his crewmates killed to save his psycho rapist siblings (all while sobbing like a little bitch).

Good job Oda, #yearofSanji
Man, top tier explanation ngl.