Character Discussion Does G5/Looney Tunes ruin this manga ?

Is G5/Looney Tunes good or bad for this manga

• Good

Votes: 36 36.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 64 64.0%

• Total voters
"This manga has always been non serious. it's fun "

Lies, the manga was serious and fun at the same time
Its peak is when tensions were high and Luffy went through them with sheer willpower not because he got deity blood flowing inside him that makes him do anything and laugh like a maniac

Oda just wanted to be so unpredictable & have fun by making the manga non-serious on purpose after 1000 chapters, which is why G5 sucks !
You can't do a 180° turn after 1000 chapters when your MC has been established already as a paramecia who is chosen but not like overpowered deity that the whole world been waiting for to the point rhe story isn't about even PK (which feels way less important than before) anymore and Top tiers are turned into clown experiments

Last edited:
Just make him stop doing ahahahaha during the fight for no reason and it will make things much better immediately. I can live with the eye popping stuff, but that laughter completely ruins the mood.
Yeah it is completely overdone and as others have said kills the tension. Since G5 showed up, the fighting has been atrocious. Comparing pre G5 Luffy vs Kaido to post G5 vs Kaido shows a drastic drop in quality of fights.

Don't know how anyone not blinded by bias would think a protagonist who can do anything without any set limits is good for the manga

Lies, the manga was serious and fun at the same time
Its peak is when tensions were high and Luffy went through them with sheer willpower not because he got deity blood flowing inside him that makes him do anything and laugh like a maniac
Agreed. Contrary to popular belief, Luffy has been pretty badass in most of his fights - not a clown doing ahahahaha always. Even if we go back to his Arlong days, he had his gag moments like using Arlongs teeth to bit Arlong. But for every gag, he had like five badass moments - breaking Arlong's sword by hand; declaring he cant cook, use sword, but can beat Arlong; destroying Aarlong park with a kick, etc.

Gear 5 is ass. This is Odas version of The Great Saiyaman. Goku was the GOAT, died, and Gohan became the new GOAT with SSJ 2.

Then instead of keeping it cool like Naruto - Boruto or Goku - SSJ2 Gohan they destroyed it with the goofy Saiyaman.

Sales plummeted I suppose so they ended up turning Fat Boo to Ripped Boo and Kid Boo as well as bringing Goku back, gave Vegeta SSJ 2 and Goku SSJ 3. Unfortunately it seems One Piece is still selling well after Gear 5. If the customers stop buying it we will soon be rid of Gear 5.

Gear 5 is ass. This is Odas version of The Great Saiyaman. Goku was the GOAT, died, and Gohan became the new GOAT with SSJ 2.

Then instead of keeping it cool like Naruto - Boruto or Goku - SSJ2 Gohan they destroyed it with the goofy Saiyaman.

Sales plummeted I suppose so they ended up turning Fat Boo to Ripped Boo and Kid Boo as well as bringing Goku back, gave Vegeta SSJ 2 and Goku SSJ 3. Unfortunately it seems One Piece is still selling well after Gear 5. If the customers stop buying it we will soon be rid of Gear 5.
That was his intent. Oda didn’t want it to remain that way..cool and edgy. That’s very boring to write for 20+ years according to Oda

That was his intent. Oda didn’t want it to remain that way..cool and edgy. That’s very boring to write for 20+ years according to Oda
If I had not been reading One Piece since I was a kid I would have dropped it. Now it’s like a TV-series that you have watched too many seasons of to drop, you just pray it gets better. Or in this case gets to the finale.

There are cases like Harry Potter where it started to get boring from Book 5 due to loss of imagination and adventure as things got more serious, but in this case it really is DBZ drop that was unnecessary. Especially as Roof Piece was the best since Marineford 500 chapters earlier. Same as DBZ had it right with Cell and randomly started to produce crap.

I suppose Oda might be bored and Shueisha went along with it because they somehow knew it made business sense (young kids liking it? I.e. new audience as previous got to old?).

I honestly believe egghead is hands down the best arc of TS, and i wouls even say is top 5 in One Piece, depending on ending. And this with 0 stakes involved for the crew as they are just spectators of someone else's show.

You guys need to realise that when you say "nobody likes it" you sound quite silly. And the lady comment is just as silly. Luffy ate crocodile and died for it, next time he came as a baloon filled with water. Volume 22.
I mentioned Emotions being invoked in a fictional fight and you call it "Lady comment" , seems like you have no clue about storytelling , ok

Edgelords that only like things that are generically cool and then they have the audacity to call anyone else childish

calling people edgelords while even oda himself says his readers will be absolutely disgusted by gear5

people wanting another snakeman or gear2 isnt edgy behavior
they just dont want a fuckin clown ruining characters people have been waiting to see

I mentioned Emotions being invoked in a fictional fight and you call it "Lady comment" , seems like you have no clue about storytelling , ok
I was supposed to write "last comment", it's clearly a mis-correction as I was writing from my phone..

And of course everybody that thinks things differently from you has no clue about anything, after all primary school mentality really shines on this website.

Since you understand so much, for sure you must be aware that Egghead is an arc with no personal stakes for SHs, (just like Wano was, and that's why it felt so disconnected), and as such there is no place for emotions outside of Kuma, who was introduced for that particular reason. Nobody cares about Vegapunk, nor Oda has even tried to give us a reason to care about him, and that's why he's the one dying and not Kuma.
The end of Wano showed that when G5 must be serious, can be serious.
This thread is a bad faith representation of what happens in the story itself. Kuma flashback was when Oda wanted to give us emotions, and emotions were given. Vegapunk's death has incredible little weight narratively because it was his plan all along as we are observing now. In the end, sour people upset about not getting coldsteel the Gear 5 to end all edge.

I personally love it, especially this chapter. It might have been jarring against Kaido because Kaido was a "classical" vilain and the epitome of one ; he's just another Crocodile, Enel, Moriah, Doflamingo... Just the best of them.

(And even Kaido had a silly cartoonish side...)

Now Luffy will face reality altering villains, so his reality altering powers will be necessary. The gorosei are absolutely not impressed with his powers. They might even find them cute because Luffy is only at the beginning of his awakening. They don't fear him, they fear what he might become : someone who transcends reality, like them.

Luffy transforms Saturn into a pizza ? He pulls himself back and goes on.

Warcury dismantles everything that is Luffy (describe Luffy with 5 words lol : hat, scars, shirt, sandals, sash) ? He pulls himself back and goes on.

I think villains from now on will fight on conceptual levels, not just physical. Imu most of all.

Blackbeard might know he lives in a manga, and thus feel becoming the "strongest" is possible for him. Only problem is it's too short-sighted. Luffy and the gorosei and Imu will be the "sideway-est" or whatever. You can turn this island to rubble and absorb it in a black hole ? There, I put it back, now what ?

Luffy manifested goggles and black paint, a few weeks only after gaining his powers. Give him time and he might manifest his brother back lol.

It's been hinted at with all past villains : Arlong controlled Nami, Crocodile controlled Alabasta, Enel, Moriah, Doflamingo, Big Mom, Kaido... Soon villains will control the panel you're in, or your speech bubble, or what makes you you. And Luffy will kick their ass.

And the chosen one bullshit can be salvaged if he's just the first one to do it and can inspire others. Like we saw with Bonney. Technically he would not even be the first one... Zoro and Sanji manipulated reality weirdly way before him, and without a fruit. Maybe they inspired him.

If I had not been reading One Piece since I was a kid I would have dropped it. Now it’s like a TV-series that you have watched too many seasons of to drop, you just pray it gets better. Or in this case gets to the finale.

There are cases like Harry Potter where it started to get boring from Book 5 due to loss of imagination and adventure as things got more serious, but in this case it really is DBZ drop that was unnecessary. Especially as Roof Piece was the best since Marineford 500 chapters earlier. Same as DBZ had it right with Cell and randomly started to produce crap.

I suppose Oda might be bored and Shueisha went along with it because they somehow knew it made business sense (young kids liking it? I.e. new audience as previous got to old?).
I understand your point. My criticism is that instead of it being a more subversive pirate manga fantasy adventure it turned into a more Disney esque, mascot catchy, Mickey Mouse franchise (thus the rounder more childish designs compared to the more offbeat and mature take to his art style).

Basically OP was never edgy, but it balanced out the quirky and fun art style with more seriousness generally. Now it has sort of lost that and got too fantasy franchise like

The nika retcon will probably be looked back to as the event that initiated the fall of One Piece when it ends. Even the most ardent defenders will probably mald out towards the end when all the issues catch up to Oda with Imu as the final villian. Akainu will not matter as much as people think, Dragon already does not matter. There is literally nothing left to entice the most of the readers about a final arc other than Blackbeard, Zoro vs Mihawk and the final lingering mystery of the OP itself which fans have already mostly figured out any way. As someone who’s been a fan of Zoro, I’m not even confident that Oda will deliver on that final fight either with Oda being known to not draw sword fighting well.

It doesn't kill the tension in itself. What kills the tension is it being overpowered.
I think it kills tension against classical foes like Lucci and Kizaru. They can't keep up. Lucci has willpower on par with guys like Luffy and Zoro, but he falls short by a little. Kizaru is a self-admited cog in the machine (aka character in a manga). He played his role and just wants out. He's too old and jaded to keep up. Ten independent light clones is the best he can do. In another manga it would be enough. Here it's cool but not enough... Akainu and Aokiji might have the "guts" to reach next level, like Zoro and Sanji. We'll see.

But it absolutely does not kill tension against new enemies like the gorosei. These guys are absolutely not impressed lol. They just know this type of conflict is a huge pain in the ass. Like "aw shit, I know this guy is gonna paint a big hole under me and he's gonna embarrass me... Guess I'll have to the same and see how it goes...". The whole point of Imu and the gorosei is they don't want this kind of existential shit to go public. They blitzkrieg Egghead (and might just kill all marine witness in the end) because they're forced to. They don't want people to know their existence because... tomorrow a random marine could wish really hard he was really strong, and hey it might happen. It worked for them, it works for Luffy, and it can work for everyone because that's just the nature of the world they live in.

Before the void century, the whole world was a cartoon, and everyone knew it. Now, some magic remains and a select few can transcend, but the average reality is kind of drab. Do we go back or not ? I like this kind of tension.

---

I think by the end, a guy like Zoro won't be the world's greatest swordman because he beat that guy who once beat that guy who once equalled this guy... His name will reach heavens, meaning us. He will become THE swordsman. Who's the strongest ? Zorro, Musashi, Mihawk, Aragorn or Zoro ? Pffft, Zoro, why do you even ask. In terms of powers, Luffy will manipulate reality, Zoro will CUT reality. Prepare for Zoro to just cut your panel in two and make you disappear. Or your speech bubble to silence you.

Last edited: