Break Week Does Japan hate Wano

The problem is that they are not having the things that I have explained to you. If they are assumptions, because we do not have the data, but they are well-founded assumptions. if you really are not capable of reasoning and you only believe what you read, I feel a little sorry for you..
According to this article, One Piece isn't even in top 10 in digital sales. Like I told you before, stop making uneducated assumptions.

https://mipon.org/manga-popular-japan/

You lack of logic overall in your argument.

You have a good start saying that Japanese average house are small, teenagers(the supposed target audience) doesn't have a lot of income and etc.

Your arguments doesn't answer those questions.
I don't lack logic, rather you lack impartiality. I have given you several arguments and you refuse to believe me, I doubt that where you have read or whoever told you about the decrease in sales gives you so many arguments. Just a number with no explanation. Even so, I don't mind answering your questions because I know what I'm talking about and I don't cling to my idea, if not several arguments, unlike you who still don't answer my questions.

Why One Piece used to sell so much before and not now?
This is basically due to 3 things:

1. The main one is that people usually limit their purchase of manga to between 1-2 volumes per month of the same series. Which is between $8-16 a month, which isn't that much either, even for a child. That gives us that people buy between 12-24 volumes a year at most of a series in general. Don't you find it curious that the series that are booming have around that number of volumes? That's because it only takes a year to catch up with the series. A reasonable time. In the case of One Piece it would be a wait of between 5 and 10 years. Who would wait so long?
  2. Another main point is that before there was no digital format, so all sales belonged to physical volumes. The digital magician started in 2015 and the boom was in 2018. Wow, what a coincidence that is when One Piece sales begin to drop.
  3. The Box Set did not exist either, which came out in 2020, wow, coincidentally another drop point for One Piece.
To this day I don't think any new fans decided to buy the single volumes. And I also don't think there are many people who spend $800 in a year to catch up on a manga. And taking 5-10 years to catch up is not a good plan.

Why other manga are selling better than One Piece?
Are there really manga that sell more than One Piece?

If you look at the new volumes, which is the best varemo, you will realize that One Piece is only surpassed on time. I think it was surpassed a year by Shinjiki no Kiojin, a couple of years by Kimestsu and a year by JJk, surely next year Spy x Family will emerge.

Most surpass One Piece because people in a year or two buy all the volumes of the series in question, as I explained above, then they catch up and sales go down. The best case is Shinjiki no Kyojin, which when I waited for One Piece people thought it was dead, but then sales stabilized and fell below again. What would have happened if KnY had continued and what would happen to JJK if he continued.

Why One Piece despite declining sales as before is still top 10 manga?
Keep in mind that currently One Piece with a monthly break releases an average of 2.5 volumes a year, when the normal is 3.5. That to One Piece suppose a handicap of +1.5 million sales. In addition to the whole issue that I have explained about digital sales and Box Sets, that One Piece not only remains in the TOP10 but in the TOP3 is more than enough proof that sales do not drop.

Compare last year's earnings of the Mangakas 2021, everything is included here:

1. Eiichiro Oda (One Piece) -----------> 28.103.000$
  2. Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball) ------> 13.415.000$
  3. Kazuki Takahashi (Yu-Gi-Oh) ------> 5.440.000 $
  4. Koyoharu Gotouge (Kimetsu) -----> 4.530.000 $
  5. Fujiko F Fujio (Doraemon)---------> 4.170.000 $
Yes, it seems that Oda is doing very badly :milaugh:
Post automatically merged:

According to this article, One Piece isn't even in top 10 in digital sales. Like I told you before, stop making uneducated assumptions.

https://mipon.org/manga-popular-japan/
My mother, what ignorance does and on top of that you want to give advice. That article does not talk about the digital sales of manga that are published in physical magazines, but it talks about digital sales of digital manga.

There is no One Piece because it is not a digital manga. :kuzanshut:

I only see you ask for proof, but when they give it to you, you ignore it and blurt out some nonsense.

Last edited:
I don't lack logic, rather you lack impartiality. I have given you several arguments and you refuse to believe me, I doubt that where you have read or whoever told you about the decrease in sales gives you so many arguments. Just a number with no explanation. Even so, I don't mind answering your questions because I know what I'm talking about and I don't cling to my idea, if not several arguments, unlike you who still don't answer my questions.

This is basically due to 3 things:

1. The main one is that people usually limit their purchase of manga to between 1-2 volumes per month of the same series. Which is between $8-16 a month, which isn't that much either, even for a child. That gives us that people buy between 12-24 volumes a year at most of a series in general. Don't you find it curious that the series that are booming have around that number of volumes? That's because it only takes a year to catch up with the series. A reasonable time. In the case of One Piece it would be a wait of between 5 and 10 years. Who would wait so long?
  2. Another main point is that before there was no digital format, so all sales belonged to physical volumes. The digital magician started in 2015 and the boom was in 2018. Wow, what a coincidence that is when One Piece sales begin to drop.
  3. The Box Set did not exist either, which came out in 2020, wow, coincidentally another drop point for One Piece.
To this day I don't think any new fans decided to buy the single volumes. And I also don't think there are many people who spend $800 in a year to catch up on a manga. And taking 5-10 years to catch up is not a good plan.

Are there really manga that sell more than One Piece?

If you look at the new volumes, which is the best varemo, you will realize that One Piece is only surpassed on time. I think it was surpassed a year by Shinjiki no Kiojin, a couple of years by Kimestsu and a year by JJk, surely next year Spy x Family will emerge.

Most surpass One Piece because people in a year or two buy all the volumes of the series in question, as I explained above, then they catch up and sales go down. The best case is Shinjiki no Kyojin, which when I waited for One Piece people thought it was dead, but then sales stabilized and fell below again. What would have happened if KnY had continued and what would happen to JJK if he continued.

Keep in mind that currently One Piece with a monthly break releases an average of 2.5 volumes a year, when the normal is 3.5. That to One Piece suppose a handicap of +1.5 million sales. In addition to the whole issue that I have explained about digital sales and Box Sets, that One Piece not only remains in the TOP10 but in the TOP3 is more than enough proof that sales do not drop.

Compare last year's earnings of the Mangakas 2021, everything is included here:

1. Eiichiro Oda (One Piece) -----------> 28.103.000$
  2. Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball) ------> 13.415.000$
  3. Kazuki Takahashi (Yu-Gi-Oh) ------> 5.440.000 $
  4. Koyoharu Gotouge (Kimetsu) -----> 4.530.000 $
  5. Fujiko F Fujio (Doraemon)---------> 4.170.000 $
Yes, it seems that Oda is doing very badly :milaugh:

My mother, what ignorance does and on top of that you want to give advice. That article does not talk about the digital sales of manga that are published in physical magazines, but it talks about digital sales of digital manga.

There is no One Piece because it is not a digital manga. :kuzanshut:

I only see you ask for proof, but when they give it to you, you ignore it and blurt out some nonsense.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_P...scontinuation of the,Jump on January 30, 2012.

Yeah, I'm giving source first.

Quote:
"Following the discontinuation of the print Shonen Jump, Viz began releasing One Piece chapterwise in its digital successor Weekly Shonen Jump on January 30, 2012.[58] "

2012 print sales was still on the boom that One Piece became with Marineford Arc on manga and anime which would naturally decrease to normal levels. It decreased till 2014 and at 2015 it increased because of Dressrosa Arc.
After that it only decreased.
Keeping in mind that Fishmen Island has the best selling volume of One Piece.

So it is pretty clear that when digital sales started it doesn't had such impact as you imply it did. Sales even turn back to grow later on.
And most important it increased during Dressrosa, highly praised arc of timeskip. And decreased after that even with all Yonko arc hype.

Japanese people loved Fishmen Island, Dressrosa and hated WCI and Wano.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Piece#:~:text=Following the discontinuation of the,Jump on January 30, 2012.

Yeah, I'm giving source first.

Quote:
"Following the discontinuation of the print Shonen Jump, Viz began releasing One Piece chapterwise in its digital successor Weekly Shonen Jump on January 30, 2012.[58] "

2012 print sales was still on the boom that One Piece became with Marineford Arc on manga and anime which would naturally decrease to normal levels. It decreased till 2014 and at 2015 it increased because of Dressrosa Arc.
After that it only decreased.
Keeping in mind that Fishmen Island has the best selling volume of One Piece.

So it is pretty clear that when digital sales started it doesn't had such impact as you imply it did. Sales even turn back to grow later on.
And most important it increased during Dressrosa, highly praised arc of timeskip. And decreased after that even with all Yonko arc hype.

Japanese people loved Fishmen Island, Dressrosa and hated WCI and Wano.
Viz is not from Japan. Digital sales began to normalize in 2015 in Japan, in fact One Piece Color was launched in that year and in 2018 they had a Boom. As of 2018, digital sales increase while paper sales decrease. Even in 2021, despite the boom of works like KnJ and JJk, global print sales are down more than +4%.

Although it is true that Fishmen Island is loved in Japan, Dressrosa is not so much, as for Whole Cacke I have no idea and Wano I already tell you that it is quite loved, especially the anime is having very good acceptance. In fact, in this same topic, you have a message from a user who frequents Japanese forums that precisely tells you that Wano was liked in general.

In Dressrosa sales increased because 4 volumes were put together a couple of years ago, while the rest of, especially Wano that was caught by the pandemic, has only released 3 new volumes a year, which makes sales suffer, they are - 1.5 million.

If I'm not mistaken, this year they will also release 4 volumes, so you will see how sales will be very similar to Dressrosa. Although we must take into account the percentage of decline suffered by the industry since then.

I already tell you that my intention is not to impose my opinion on you, in fact, if you look at all my messages I have not even given you my opinion, I have not told you what I think about it.

My intention is that you have the information and draw your conclusion. But the world of Manga is very complex and if we talk about Japan, the Japanese are very complex. Guide you by an article that gives a number, but does not take into account a lot of factors seems to me a mistake.

I repeat what I told you in a previous message, One Piece in Japan is almost a religion, it is even in the soup. The only manga that comes close is Dragon Ball, which is reflected in Oda's income.

Last edited:
I have heard this claim be thrown around but is there any truth to it besides the declining volume sales?
There are no metric that details digital sales so stop assuming. From physical volume sales One Piece has been on a decline for years now and it will continue to decline.
Don't you have any data or article that can support your argument even by a little? You are only giving your opinion.

Tendencies are often replicate in similar scenarios. If sales are dropping in physical they most probably are dropping I'm digital too.
declining sales in an arc like this tells me they dont like it as much as some previous arcs is all I can say.
For you and the rest who are not able to read beyond a number:

Of Redon, Pirte King:

One Piece Film Red had a BRUTAL premiere in Japan, becoming the 2nd highest grossing film in its opening weekend in the entire history of Japan ( only behind the Kimetsu no Yaiba Infinity Train movie). It is also the best opening of a film in the month of August in the entire history of Japan. Although we do not have exact data yet, estimates give earnings in its first 2 days in theaters between 2,170,000,000 yen and 2,300,000,000 (about $17 million) with around 1,600,000 tickets sold. It's a far cry from Kimetsu no Yaiba's Infinite Train movie (which grossed ¥3,354,000,000 and sold 2,509,986 tickets in its first 2 days in theaters) but you also have to keep in mind that One Piece Film Red has been released in about 500 theaters across Japan, and the Kimetsu no Yaiba film has been released in more than 1,400 theaters. Obviously it has become the best premiere of a One Piece movie, by far. And it is quite possible that it will break the 10,000,000,000 million yen barrier and become the biggest success that Toei Animation has ever had.
1. One Piece Film Red: Between ¥2,170,000,000 and ¥2,300,000,000 (about $17 million) and around 1,600,000 tickets sold.
2. One Piece Film Z: ¥1,372,000,000 (about $12 million) and 1,012,000 tickets sold.
3. One Piece Film Gold: ¥1,155,000,000 (about $11 million) and 820,830 tickets sold.
4. One Piece Film Strong World: ¥1,038,000,000 (about $12 million) and 819,738 tickets sold.
5. One Piece Stampede: ¥806,000,000 (about $8 million) and 598,000 tickets sold.

I think this shows that One Piece is still at the top and more and more people are consuming it. In case anyone doubted it.

Of Redon, Pirte King:

One Piece Film Red had a BRUTAL premiere in Japan, becoming the 2nd highest grossing film in its opening weekend in the entire history of Japan ( only behind the Kimetsu no Yaiba Infinity Train movie). It is also the best opening of a film in the month of August in the entire history of Japan. Although we do not have exact data yet, estimates give earnings in its first 2 days in theaters between 2,170,000,000 yen and 2,300,000,000 (about $17 million) with around 1,600,000 tickets sold. It's a far cry from Kimetsu no Yaiba's Infinite Train movie (which grossed ¥3,354,000,000 and sold 2,509,986 tickets in its first 2 days in theaters) but you also have to keep in mind that One Piece Film Red has been released in about 500 theaters across Japan, and the Kimetsu no Yaiba film has been released in more than 1,400 theaters. Obviously it has become the best premiere of a One Piece movie, by far. And it is quite possible that it will break the 10,000,000,000 million yen barrier and become the biggest success that Toei Animation has ever had.
1. One Piece Film Red: Between ¥2,170,000,000 and ¥2,300,000,000 (about $17 million) and around 1,600,000 tickets sold.
2. One Piece Film Z: ¥1,372,000,000 (about $12 million) and 1,012,000 tickets sold.
3. One Piece Film Gold: ¥1,155,000,000 (about $11 million) and 820,830 tickets sold.
4. One Piece Film Strong World: ¥1,038,000,000 (about $12 million) and 819,738 tickets sold.
5. One Piece Stampede: ¥806,000,000 (about $8 million) and 598,000 tickets sold.

I think this shows that One Piece is still at the top and more and more people are consuming it. In case anyone doubted it.
One Piece is like Star Wars these days.

New stuff coming out is a far cry from the old, legendary stories, but people will watch/read it nonetheless.

The criticism (of both manga and anime) in forums and on social media is simultaneously getting bigger, too, though.

Imagine that you are a Japanese boy, 14-15 years old, you live in a small house, you have no income and you are interested in One Piece.

• From where would you get +800$ to buy the complete series?
  • Would you prefer to buy the series volume by volume or would you prefer the cheaper Boxing sets?
  • If you hardly have space, would you buy a series of +100 or would you prefer a digital version that barely takes up?
  • If you have to choose between having 1 complete physical manga or having 6-7, which would you prefer
As a Brazilian man I don't spend one cent buying manga, I just read/watch online for free.
Do you think your questions are great for this debate?
You literally just proved his point.

Of Redon, Pirte King:

The people arguing with you are OP haters. They want it to fail really badly. One Piece is either the most or the second most (right after Harry Potter) best selling fiction series with over $500 million in sales.

Last edited:
One Piece is like Star Wars these days.

New stuff coming out is a far cry from the old, legendary stories, but people will watch/read it nonetheless.

The criticism (of both manga and anime) in forums and on social media is simultaneously getting bigger, too, though.
It's not comparable Starwars did lose a good chunk of its power and trust ,one just has to see how much the force awakens made compared to Rise of Skywalker
$2.068 billion vs $1.074 billion.
And let's no mention "Solo" going to the shadow realm and making the franchise rethink about making more outside trilogy movies.
The level of criticism is well known already...

As an old SW fan I'll say not even the prequels hurt this much the general appreciation for the brand.

OP in comparison is having the usual ups and downs and yeah there's a more vocal criticism than before but in the country where it matters it still quite strong.

What?

And why the hell everybody choses to forget about Superman when talking about best selling series?
Because Superman consists of MULTIPLE series by MULTIPLE different authors. The other guy wasn’t kidding when he said that you don’t do your research. HP and OP were BOTH created by a single author. Btw, the fact that you had to use a comic book character that has been going on since the early 1900s and has series written by many authors just reeks of desperation to see One Piece as “unpopular” when it is easily the most popular manga series in Japan and has sales rivaling the Harry Potter books, despite being in a manga format that is less appealing to a wide audience. Also, Oda is listed as one of the bestselling fiction authors of all time.

Lol just looked it up and Oda is number 9. Rowling is 10.

Because Superman consists of MULTIPLE series by MULTIPLE different authors. The other guy wasn’t kidding when he said that you don’t do your research. HP and OP were BOTH created by a single author. Btw, the fact that you had to use a comic book character that has been going on since the early 1900s and has series written by many authors just reeks of desperation to see One Piece as “unpopular” when it is easily the most popular manga series in Japan and has sales rivaling the Harry Potter books, despite being in a manga format that is less appealing to a wide audience. Also, Oda is listed as one of the bestselling fiction authors of all time.

Lol just looked it up and Oda is number 9. Rowling is 10.
Do my research hahaha.

The topic was never about best selling serie from the same author. You are suddenly changed it to it so you can have an argument.

Even though if you wanna really compare popularity you have to compare sales per volume.

HP books sold like 3-4mi copies each only in UK so we can be fair since those 500mi copies from One Piece are Japan only. And if I'm correct One Piece never had a single volume on 3mi mark.

Do my research hahaha.

The topic was never about best selling serie from the same author. You are suddenly changed it to it so you can have an argument.

Even though if you wanna really compare popularity you have to compare sales per volume.

HP books sold like 3-4mi copies each only in UK so we can be fair since those 500mi copies from One Piece are Japan only. And if I'm correct One Piece never had a single volume on 3mi mark.
Lol completely missed my point and it all ended up going full circle.

You are right no volume of One Piece has exceeded 3 million, only the last 47 volumes have done so consecutively in its first edition

Of Redon, Pirate King;

It is finally officially announced from Japan that One Piece has exceeded 500,000,000 copies in print worldwide!! In addition, Volume 103 of the series is the 47th in a row that exceeds 3,000,000 copies in its 1st edition.

:zorothink:

Of Redon, Pirte King:

That's just proved how brutal is its advertisement, that film Red promoting is the biggest one I ever see. Every fanpage talk nonstop about it before its premiere and even the main plot promote it. High sales ? Sure, but how many money they spend we will never know.
P/s : I heard about review, the film is trash. Let's see how thing turn out later.