Game of Thrones/ASOIAF

Hello fellow Worst Gen users in this thread you can talk about the world of the Iron Throne, both from the series and from the original books made by GRRM.

Here you can talk about GOT, how you feel about it, what you like and dislike about it, your regrets with it but also of the books who have already been published, of how they are different from the show, of the characters in the books who didn't appear in GOT and of the books who haven't been released yet. You are also free to talk about your favorite characters, families, regions, battles and species of ASOIAF universe.

I stopped watching the show at S5, so I don't hate it. It was obvious since then the showwriters are hacks. I did watch s8e3 tho', I was curious to see what they'll do with the wraith. The cringe was massive when I saw a skinny little girl destroy an entire army of undead. Move aside, boys, fempowa' is here.

Is this thread spoilers free? :cheers:
Yes you are free to talk about the books.
Post automatically merged:

You can also talk about characters who didn't appear in the show like Aegon, Willas and Garlan Tyrell, Arianne Martell or Jon Connington.

Last edited:

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
Yeah the last 3 seasons were bad, it went from being one of the best show to be a parody. But I keep remembering the best parts and I still love the show as a whole. 1-4 seasons were awesome.

For me the best family is Lannister : each member is great (before being garbage in the late seasons) and Tyrion is my favorite.

If I had to live somewhere the Vale seems nice, or Highgarden.

The Hound, Oberyn, Tywin and Stannis were the best aside Tyrion. (But there are a lot of great characters)

I was not a lot into battles in the show because for me it was mainly a political show (when the show was at his best). When they began to show battles it was in the late seasons And I don't particularly like them.

Last edited:
I like them a lot. I mean, the TV show (AGOT) was very good in the first seasons and made me read the books (ASOIAF) and they were awesome, the show was good because it managed to stick to the books pretty well. After a few seasons the show started to make some small but decisive difference which put it apart from the books, also at a certain point the show went out of Martin books so they had to go on on their own and that was their downfall lol, anything unexpected anyway.

To conclude the TV show was good until it lasted (season 4 or 5?), after they started to do things on their own and ended the books to base it on it was obvious the show will become another thing, didn't watch past those season, anyway I have always been a "book-manga" dude over "movies-telfilms-anime" (at least if the original source is not the anime like for Evangelion). The purpose of the show (which was really good until it lasted) was to make me discover the original material which inspired the show and that was, indeed, the real good stuff.

What is worrying, as per usual (HxH and Berserk fan here), is Martin taking a decade to do a new book, I get that they are very good and need a very great deal of planning and all to make good plot twists almost 10 times per book and at the same time not contradict the history and events he has build so far plus a lot of people around the world want a chunck of Martin's time but... I hope he can finish the story both in a satisfactory way for him and the readers.

Yeah the last 3 seasons were bad, it went from being one of the best show to be a parody. But I keep remembering the best parts and I still love the show as a whole. 1-4 seasons were awesome.

For me the best family is Lannister : each member is great (before being garbage in the late seasons) and Tyrion is my favorite.

If I had to live somewhere the Vale seems nice, or Highgarden.

The Hound, Oberyn, Twin and Stannis were the best aside Tyrion. (But they are a lot of great characters)
Speaking of Highgarden I am still disgusted that they wrote Willas and Garlan Tyrell out.
I am also particulary disgusted by how they treated Stannis in season 5.

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
Speaking of Highgarden I am still disgusted that they wrote Willas and Garlan Tyrell out.
I am also particulary disgusted by how they treated Stannis in season 5.
Yeah Staninis ends is quite weird and badly done. And he is still kicking ass in the books from what I know (I didn't read the books).

But the character and the actor were awesome. I love that he is a good guy deep inside but he is forced to do bad things to take the throne. I rooted for him for quite a long time.

I plan on reading the books in the immediate future with hope of getting some what alternate story that could satisfy and do justice to the story it started out to be.

As for the show i absolutely loved the first 4 seasons and the 5th was also a good one but then it started going downhill. There were still some good parts in 6th and 7th season bt 8th was so bad that i think it ruined the show for me. It was so bad that now i wish i had stopped watching the show after 5th season and put first 5 seasons on a closed loop to keep watching em again n again.
Now i fear that i might not enjoy the first 4 seasons as well even tho the masterpiece they were.
Hence, Books are my last hope.

Yeah Staninis ends is quite weird and badly done. And he is still kicking ass in the books from what I know (I didn't read the books).

But the character and the actor were awesome. I love that he is a good guy deep inside but he is forced to do bad things to take the throne. I rooted for him for quite a long time.
Yes I am really looking forward the battle of Ice and the North Remembers storyline with Wyman Manderly, Davos and Rickon.

Most likely Stannis was put out that way because the books, from what I recall, end pretty much just before that battle and at that pount the story had just fallen in the hands of the HBO, most likely they didn't even know how to keep all those characters kicking around and at the same time mantain the same level of quality of the story so they pretty much killed all the secondary branches keeping those 4 or 5 main characters loved by the audiance, gave them a thick plot armor (see Jon Snow vs undead army) but at the same time they were not able to keep them like they were before when they had the books to write the whole story (just look at Tyrion).

One of the changes I hated the most is how they changed Stannis' storyline by having him go to Winterfell directly instead of rallying the lointain clans and some Northern houses by taking Deepwood Motte for example and take his family with him just so he could burn Shireen whereas he left them at the wall for their safety in the books and how they made the Northern houses cowards licking the Bolton's boots while in the books it's shown that most northerners are still very loyal to the Starks and that several houses like the Manderlys are plotting against the Boltons under their noses. Also there is Rickon who's still alive and on Skagos and the Umbers are still loyal to the Starks but split in two due to the GreatJon being a hostage of the Freys.

Speaking of Skagos I am really curious to see what kind of place it really is and how are its inhabitants outside of the cannibalism thing, the fact that Osha and Rickon went here hints that they might be loyal to the Starks or have at least some form of honor despite their fearsome reputation.

Last edited:
Is this thread only books related? :cheers:

I'm more knowledgeable with the show
I have already written than you can talk about both here.

Those know only the show version of Euron Greyjoy will be shocked when they'll see the book version of him, show Euron is nothing compared to the original.

Last edited:
Why do you hate season 6? I loved it, mainly the last two episodes (battle of the bastards and Cercei blowing up all her enemies) are top class material.
While it had some spectacular actions I did not find the story in season 6 to be really good with the way they treated the Northern storyline with the Northern lords being mostly indifferent to the Starks or loyal to the Boltons, whereas the books made it clear that it was far from being the case, and Rickon and Osha being delivered to and killed by Ramsay in such an unceremonious way, show Euron being nothing compared to what he is in the books, Dorne storyline being totally butchered in the show, Edmure being willing to let his uncle die whereas in AFFC he allowed the Blackfish to escape and even taunted Jaime about it, etc...

Besides I was not a fan of the way they tried to make us think that Cersei was a competent schemer and threat while it was made clear many times that she was too petty and short-sighted to be an effectual threat and that they made Jaime her puppy dog.