Powers & Abilities General CoA Discussion - Basic & Advanced

No oda didnt have haki mapped out pre skip.
Wrong, they used Haki pre-skip.

That's a lie, lol.

Oda also never said haki wasn't mapped out. The fandom made that up.

Again, Vista's Sword is not Black despite clashing with Mihawk in which he'd have been using Haki.

Haki has been a thing since chapter 1.

Yep, like the Black Blade meaning Hard which is done by imbuing it with Haki.

Vista's Sword was never Black pre-skip despite clashing with Mihawk.
Huh?

So what's the difference between Yoru Wado Ichimonji?

I mean we know Oda decided to color Armament hardening black for the sale of the viewer noticing it happening post time skip BUT Yoru was a black blade since pre time skip when Oda didn't care about shading things black for the sake of the viewer.

Yoru literally even means "Night" emphasising it's color.

Theres clearly a visible difference in the universe between Zoro applying armament and Whatever Yoru is about

So what's the difference between Yoru Wado Ichimonji?

If you read what Gyukimaru said, he said a Black Blade (literally coloured black) is forged through battle.

If you listen to what Hitetsu said:

The user is who determines whether a blade will raise in rank and become a black blade.

Difference between Wado Ichimonji and Yoru/Shusui is they were blades that became Black because of their masters and Wado Ichimonji is a blade whose rank has not been raised. It's just a well crafted high graded blade like any other high grade blade that's yet to be forged into a black blade.

I mean we know Oda decided to color Armament hardening black for the sale of the viewer noticing it happening post time skip BUT Yoru was a black blade since pre time skip when Oda didn't care about shading things black for the sake of the viewer.
Never said the Yoru wasn't actually black if you read what I said.

I said Haki is not black literally.

That's not the same thing as saying Shusui or Yoru aren't literally Black.

Theres clearly a visible difference in the universe between Zoro applying armament and Whatever Yoru is about
Nope, it's just shaded black to show the level of Armament being used.

Regular Armament is invisible, but not shaded.

Hardened Armament is invisible, but shaded.

Armament Haki is generally invisble.

When Zoro uses Armament or Hardening, his blades are still the same colour.

A blade becoming a Black blade? That's something else entirely. That's not Haki.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman

If you read what Gyukimaru said, he said a Black Blade (literally coloured black) is forged through battle.

If you listen to what Hitetsu said:

The user is who determines whether a blade will raise in rank and become a black blade.

Difference between Wado Ichimonji and Yoru/Shusui is they were blades that became Black because of their masters and Wado Ichimonji is a blade whose rank has not been raised. It's just a well crafted high graded blade like any other high grade blade that's yet to be forged into a black blade.

Never said the Yoru wasn't actually black if you read what I said.

I said Haki is not black literally.

That's not the same thing as saying Shusui or Yoru aren't literally Black.

Nope, it's just shaded black to show the level of Armament being used.

Regular Armament is invisible, but not shaded.

Hardened Armament is invisible, but shaded.

Armament Haki is generally invisble.

When Zoro uses Armament or Hardening, his blades are still the same colour.

A blade becoming a Black blade? That's something else entirely. That's not Haki.
This is the point you keep skipping over.
When a sword is black its not just shaded black. The design changes too.

blade becoming a Black blade? That's something else entirely. That's not Haki.
Oh so that's what you mean. At first I thought you were saying Yoru isn't black as well.

Then the question comes in that What was Mihawk actually saying to Zoro in the Dressrosa flashback.

Mihawk is teaching Zoro Armament, which we have determined isn't actually black.

Then Mihawk says Zoro's sword would not break if it was a black blade.

This statement is a lie according to specific meanings got from it.

Your interpretation of this statement is that Mihawk is saying "Your sword would not break if it was coated in haki" This is a lie. We know swords which are coated in haki can be broken. You just need stronger haki than them.

The other interpretation of this statement is that Mihawk is saying "Your sword would not break it became a black blade, like Yoru or Shusui". This is actually debatably true. Black blades are somewhat mystical objects that could potentially actually be indestructible.

Are you seeing where this is going?

This is the point you keep skipping over.
When a sword is black its not just shaded black. The design changes too.
Nope.

Never said a Black Blade wasn't black which you don't seem to understand.

I said a Blade with Haki isn't literally black.

Huge difference between a blade covered with Haki and an actual black blade; they only share one thing is common which is being extremely hard.

Oh so that's what you mean. At first I thought you were saying Yoru isn't black as well.
Nope. That's people reading and not understand what's said.

There's differences they're not identifying when reading because they're making assumptions due to the belief Haki is literally black when it's not.

It's invisible, but shaded black when Hardened Armament is used so the reader is aware it's being used.

Then the question comes in that What was Mihawk actually saying to Zoro in the Dressrosa flashback.
It's simple.

If the panel is read carefully:

Mihawk asks Zoro if he's ever broken a Sword.

Zoro says yes and Mihawk was the one responsible for his broken swords.

Mihawk said if you'd infused them them with Haki, they wouldn't break.

If you read with context: A black blade like the Yoru or Shusui is known for one thing, it's immense hardness.

Mihawk saying any blade can become the black blade is simply saying if any blade is imbued with Haki, it essentially will behave like a Black blade meaning like Zoro said here, it becomes a blade that is so hard that even a dinosaur stepping on it wouldn't bend it or break it.

Mihawk then goes on to say a nick on a blade is a disgrace. Therefore, simply imbuing Haki on a blade makes it less likely to be nicked or broken.

The problem is most readers think Mihawk is saying Haki turns a blade literally black, but if that were the case... Zoro wouldn't be asking about how black blades are forged, he'd already know how.
There'd be nothing for Zoro to be wondering about if Mihawk was saying Haki makes a black turn literally black to become a black blade. Readers are making assumptions here due to their misunderstanding.

Mihawk is teaching Zoro Armament, which we have determined isn't actually black.
Exactly, that's what I'm saying and certain people are saying otherwise.

Your interpretation of this statement is that Mihawk is saying "Your sword would not break if it was coated in haki" This is a lie. We know swords which are coated in haki can be broken. You just need stronger haki than them.
Not really a lie if you understand what is said in context. The point Mihawk is making is it's less likely to be nicked, not that it won't literally break once coated with Haki.

It's no different to the Manga saying Luffy is not hurt by blunt attacks which it does literally say. Just requires an avid and discerning reader to read between the lines and know it's really saying he has high tolerance against blunt damage, not that blunt attacks have no effect.

The other interpretation of this statement is that Mihawk is saying "Your sword would not break it became a black blade, like Yoru or Shusui". This is actually debatably true. Black blades are somewhat mystical objects that could potentially actually be indestructible.
Wrong.

Any blade can break. Even the Yoru can be broken. It's just hard. Harder than even high grade blades and unlikely to break. Nothing mystical about them other than the fact that they're the elevation of a blade and it's only accomplished by supposedly the Strongest swordsman in the world, e.g., Ryuma & Mihawk thus far.

Does it look like a kokuto? Yes.
Terrible argument.

The white part of a sword is the same colour as the air.

Does that mean the white part of the sword is transparent? No.

In fact, these blades are shaded half black and half white. Does it mean the blades here are literally black? No, they are actually steel in colour, not literally black.

So, just because a blade shaded black doesn't mean it's the same as the Yoru or Shusui.

2 things being the same colour doesn't mean that colour implies the same thing.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Terrible argument.

The white part of a sword is the same colour as the air.

Does that mean the white part of the sword is transparent? No.

In fact, these blades are shaded half black and half white. Does it mean the blades here are literally black? No, they are actually steel in colour, not literally black.

So, just because a blade shaded black doesn't mean it's the same as the Yoru or Shusui.

2 things being the same colour doesn't mean that colour implies the same thing.
I am not talking about regular blades. I am talking about blades in Hardening and they look exactly like a kokuto.
All you have is "terrible argument"? Ok.

I am not talking about regular blades. I am talking about blades in Hardening and they look exactly like a kokuto.
Like I said, your argument is irrelevant.

Yes, it's shaded black like the Kokuto.

Doesn't mean it looks like the Kokuto literally.

The air in One Piece is painted white.

Doesn't mean everything painted or shaded white is transparent.

A White shade can mean pink, yellow, transparency.

Kokuto being a black shaded sword doesn't mean Hardened Swords which are shaded black look literally like Kokuto.

If that were the case, Vista's Swords would be black pre-skip.

HA001

Like I said, your argument is irrelevant.

Yes, it's shaded black like the Kokuto.

Doesn't mean it looks like the Kokuto literally.

The air in One Piece is painted white.

Doesn't mean everything painted or shaded white is transparent.

A White shade can mean pink, yellow, transparency.

Kokuto being a black shaded sword doesn't mean Hardened Swords which are shaded black look literally like Kokuto.

No

They look like kokutos

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker

But they do look exactly like Kokutos, you have official colorings and you can see for yourself.
Hardening being shaded black pre-TS didnt exist so you will have to work with post-TS panels only.

No

They look like kokutos

Sure bud.

And since the the ground in One Piece is shaded white, the white part of Swords are therefore concrete in look too, lol. Amazing logic.

Wado Ichimonji looks different in design. Doesn't mean when it's black, it will look exactly like Shusui, lol.

As I said, your argument lacks substance.

Hardening being shaded black pre-TS didnt exist so you will have to work with post-TS panels only.
Because it's Invisible and Luffy hadn't yet been taught to understand Haki, lol.

If Haki made things turn literal black, there'd have been a lot of Black coloured weapons and people at Marineford.

There was none.

HA001

Sure bud.

And since the the ground in One Piece is shaded white, the white part of Swords are therefore concrete in look too, lol. Amazing logic.

Wado Ichimonji looks different in design. Doesn't mean when it's black, it will look exactly like Shusui, lol.

As I said, your argument lacks substance.
No look at enma it changes
Rogers sword changes completely

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Because it's Invisible and Luffy hadn't yet been taught to understand Haki, lol.

If Haki made things turn literal black, there'd have been a lot of Black coloured weapons and people at Marineford.

There was none.
No. Again, the concept of black Hardening didnt exist pre-TS.
Both black shaded and non-shaded CoA exist post-TS.
"Luffy wasnt taught..." argument is irrelevant.

The point Mihawk is making is it's less likely to be nicked, not that it won't literally break once coated with Haki
See this is where we defer. I'm taking his words literally. Like he doesn't actually give a measure about likeliest of breaking or whatever. I'm taking his words as they are. If the sword was a black blade (As in it turns into a sword like Yoru) it would not break at all.
Wrong.

Any blade can break. Even the Yoru can be broken. It's just hard. Harder than even high grade blades and unlikely to break. Nothing mystical about them other than the fact that they're the elevation of a blade and it's only accomplished by supposedly the Strongest swordsman in the world, e.g., Ryuma & Mihawk thus far.
You actually have not much basis for this since its not been proven either way. We've not seen Black blades break and according to Mihawk's words, they would not.

Of course I could be wrong, but this is me taking an interpretation of the statement as is. We'll wait and see if black blades can be broken