Caste is like an identity. Every caste has their own traditions and cultural aspects.
Well yeah but it is a system based on division?

At least with culture you can choose which one you wanna follow if you feel connected to it, but in caste system you can't (to my knowledge) choose to be one caste if you belong to another or was happened to be born in one.

It is a system from my point of view based on nepotism rather than meritocracy.

You know castes are a way to hierarchize people, right ?
No.
Post automatically merged:

Well yeah but it is a system based on division?

At least with culture you can choose which one you wanna follow if you feel connected to it, but in caste system you can't (to my knowledge) choose to be one caste if you belong to another or was happened to be born in one.

It is a system from my point of view based on nepotism rather than meritocracy.
You can.

Many people change caste even in the Ancient times as well as current times

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
You know castes are a way to hierarchize people, right ?
Not really

When caste came up then it was about division of labour.

But it got corrupted and resulted into hierarchy and discrimination.

But it also resulted into each caste having their own cultural practices and traditions like art, dance forms and it gave them their own identity

There is absolutely nothing wrong with following your cultural practices - what's wrong is when people discriminate based on caste.

Yes, caste discrimination is still prevalent among orthodox families but law prohibits it and more people are opening against it.

Not really

When caste came up then it was about division of labour.

But it got corrupted and resulted into hierarchy and discrimination.

But it also resulted into each caste having their own cultural practices and traditions like art, dance forms and it gave them their own identity

There is absolutely nothing wrong with following your cultural practices - what's wrong is when people discriminate based on caste.

Yes, caste discrimination is still prevalent among orthodox families but law prohibits it and more people are opening against it.
It seems like the origin of casts sytem, especially in India doesn't make a consensus, but one thing is sure. Cast system were always system of people's hierarchizations.

And yes its logical for endogamic group to adopt various culture and art.

But cast are deeply rooted in the principle of hiercarchization which create systemic discrimination. Notably for people like "the Dalit" which were the intouchable before the abolition of said system.

System of cast are deeply problematic as theey are inherently vector of inequality by ESSENCE.

They need to be put to AN END. Systematically.

Reborn

Okay but can like a member of lowest caste do customs and traditions of highest caste without any problems?
It's called Sanskritization.

A process in which the lower castes adopt the cultural patterns of the higher castes.

It's not prohibited.

As I said, caste in itself doesn't pose problem. Casteism is... People often face discrimination based on it and it's a problem.

As I said, caste in itself doesn't pose problem. Casteism is... People often face discrimination based on it and it's a problem.
Well yeah I can see why, the fact someone can born into a cast that by all accounts is considered higher than the rest, can set a motion in people to behave like life has been given to them rather that they earned it

I mean thy system as a whole just seems corrupt af

Reborn

Well yeah I can see why, the fact someone can born into a cast that by all accounts is considered higher than the rest, can set a motion in people to behave like life has been given to them rather that they earned it

I mean thy system as a whole just seems corrupt af
That's why changes and reforms are coming up since independence.

With modernisation and education fault lines are being blurred. I have friends from all sorts of castes and religions but we also have mutual respect and brotherhood

Anyway, I am done. Too much serious discussion for my liking.

Time to troll :milaugh:

What u turn?
Universal equality. My wife is from a different caste than mw but it never mattered between both of our families.

Syed can marry Pasmanda?
Arabs can marry Pakistani?
You are trying too hard to prove something which does not even exist.

Ngl, I have never heard the word Pasmanda before, not in relation to castes.
Pasmanda means poor, usually it is used to describe an area where employment rate is low.

Will Bill Gates marry his daughter to a homeless man (Pasmanda/Poor)?

Will Russians marry Hindustani?
Different cultures dude, even if the religion is same.

Maybe if you are born and raised in an Arab country, know arabic and their lifestyle, have oil money, then perhaps you can marry one.

The right question is, will Brahmin marry a Dalit?

Inter-caste marriage isn't the problem, marrying a Dalit man is - ThePrint

Caste woes continue even after inter-caste marriage. MADURAI: Youth remains Dalit despite mother being a Brahmin due to patriarchal society: TheHindu

Story told by a Dalit woman:

Perhaps the title 'Brahmin Dalit' is not appropriate. Because a dalit Hindu can convert to Islam, Christianity or to Buddhism, but she can never turn into a Brahmin. "Dalit" rigid label for life. It refuses to erode. It is a label that reminds us constantly of who we are. We stand at the end of centuries of injustice and oppression. And even today we are treated as second class humans. We are presumed to be unequal in possibly all aspects - less intelligent, less capable, less hygienic, less civilised and what not. The inequality meted out to us is justified on these counts. Source

Part of the reason why Hindus converted to Islam ⏫

Last edited: