Character Discussion Gold Roger: Fraud or bad writing?

One of the things that strikes me the most about Roger is that we don't know that he has legitimately beaten a top tier.

Xebec was defeated in a 2vs1
Shiki had to withdraw due to a storm
We don't know if he defeated Garp
He didn't defeat Big Mom
He did not defeat Whitebeard

It is curious that Oda did not show Roger defeating the strongest pirates of his time, at least he should have done it with Shiki, Big Mom, Garp and Xebec

In this way it seems that Roger became king of the pirates just because he found an island
Roger is just a Yonko who became Pk because he found Laughtale and did successful advertising for One Piece

It is curious that Oda did not show Roger defeating the strongest pirates of his time, at least he should have done it with Shiki, Big Mom, Garp and Xebec

we got a clue in 1082. in buggy's flashback we saw that buggy is the person who's clinging to roger's will - to the point he broke off his friendship with shanks because he believed shanks abandoned and disrespected that will.

buggy is also the person who tells mihawk and crocolisa they don't need to fight everyone to get one piece - they just need to find it first.

i believe roger was a very strong pirate but he wasn't a fighter in spirit (which is why he never got a black blade or any of the WS titles) - he's a seeker and an adventurer in spirit.

if you want to understand roger, listen to buggy and add a 'good timeline scenario' to the equation.

If you think about it luffy only defeated kaido in an unfair fight (kaido fought multiple high tier opponents while flying an island and luffy got to eat and recharge his forces when beaten), even then, luffy got defeated and needed à Joy boy asspull to win

Beating ppl like hodi, dofy or katakuri doesnt count in the long run as those are not top tiers. Roger prob defeated alot of ppl like those (he annihilated squado crew and multiple larines etc ...)

Wh3n you are already 4 5 billion Berry and you defeat doffy, you dont get bounty upgrade.

Pantheos

Heavy Metal
I guess here happens a mistake which happens alot in One Piece, since Oda tries to use other Power-Scaling than most other mangas.

Oda seems to try to keep the power-hierarchy pretty close at the top tiers. There is none which is "levels above" the rest. The strongest of them all seems to be just a bit stronger than the second and third place.
Like a car with top speed of 350km/h is fast than one with 347km/h and another with 345km/h. But in a race, if the fastest car does a mistake, the others will beat him in the race.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
I guess here happens a mistake which happens alot in One Piece, since Oda tries to use other Power-Scaling than most other mangas.

Oda seems to try to keep the power-hierarchy pretty close at the top tiers. There is none which is "levels above" the rest. The strongest of them all seems to be just a bit stronger than the second and third place.
Like a car with top speed of 350km/h is fast than one with 347km/h and another with 345km/h. But in a race, if the fastest car does a mistake, the others will beat him in the race.
May look like it but then again he clearly makes exceptions.

Rocks terror era: Rocks was the strongest.

The downfall of the Rocks and rise of Roger: Roger was the strongest.

Roger dies: Kaido became the strongest since Whitebeard was at the dawn of his prime.

Now: Shanks.

I think the best way to prove Roger wasn't a fraud is Kaido. He said that Haki is everything and surpasses all and that's why Roger was number 1.

He could've easily mentioned Rocks or Primebeard but he didn't.

In this way it seems that Roger became king of the pirates just because he found an island
Only now you realize that?

I won't say he is a fraud because he is top tier simply by sky splitting with WB(World Strongest). But yes it is bad writting.

Headcannon. We don't know how the fight went. Rocks defeat not only is Marines team up with Pirates but also betrayal plot inside Rocks. And let's not forget that Tenryuubito were involved so CP-9(I believe CP-0 wasn't a thing at time) were probably there protecting them and probably Holy Knights too.

C

CensoredbyWG

Pretty much no Top Tier gets anything like that.

Roger didn't beat anyone to become the Pirate King.
Whitebeard didn't beat any Top Tier to be called the WSM.
Kaidou didn't beat any Top Tier to be called the WSC.
Big Mom didn't beat anybody to become a Yonko, neither did Shanks.

Though Mihawk is the only one whose title gets slandered for this, not the other two Worlds Strongest Title holders lol.
So you agree that all titles are lies lol? Thx for agreeing with me.
:kailaugh::stealthblack::kailaugh:

One of the things that strikes me the most about Roger is that we don't know that he has legitimately beaten a top tier.

Shiki had to withdraw due to a storm
We don't know if he defeated Garp
He didn't defeat Big Mom
He did not defeat Whitebeard

He's very strong, but the Pirate King title is not a strength only title.

C

CensoredbyWG

i believe roger was a very strong pirate but he wasn't a fighter in spirit (which is why he never got a black blade or any of the WS titles) - he's a seeker and an adventurer in spirit.
Strongest pirate who bent the world upside down with his conqueror haki wasn't a fighter????? Lol

Roger doesnt need to beat anybody. Kaido considers him stronger, thats all you need to know.

Where did you get that Xebec was beaten in a 2vs1? Based on what we know, its probably the opposite (Roger+Garp+Rayleigh vs Xebec+Whitebeard+Big Mom+Shiki+Young Kaido etc), i.e. Roger was fighting against a 2vs1.

Oh yeah forgot his disease
Just goes to show that no matter how top tier you are, in the end, a human is still a human.

one fatal stab wound in a vital spot and they're dead.

and clearly Roger wasn't trying to protect himself from the spears with Haki or had natural body durability/endurance like Kaido/BM/King, etc.
Post automatically merged:

Another thing :do you think the difference between him and Rayleigh was big like with emperors and their commanders or not so significant?

Last edited:
rogers whole era is frauds because Oda cant bring himself to make one person win and one person lose, he wants everyone to be equal and friends with each other. It's convenient for him that way so all the characters survive so he can use them again. He even retconned whitebeards character to avoid him fighting kaido. And even if he did oda wouldve made that equal clash too. Roger became pirate king by being he greatest adventurer and the nicest guy, that's all there is to it.